Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

207-563-5532
Oct 20, 2004
I just finished Bridge of Birds, a re-read of Drawing of the Three, Son of a Witch, and The Prestige.

Bridge of Birds was good, kind of like a noir detective novel set in ancient china where magic and gods and ghosts are real. Very fun and fast.

Drawing of the Three is the second of Steven King's Dark Tower series, and if you are going to read it start with the first book. It happens to be my favorite out of all of them, where not enough is specified to make the mystical aspect corny, and there is enough that is not known about the characters that you can see how they are being developed.

Son of a Witch is a sequel to Wicked! which is a retelling of the wizard of Oz from the witch's point of view. It is very socio-political just like the first one, but I liked it less, mostly because it seems like the finer points of the book whiz by, and all of a sudden you are somewhere else trying to get an impression of the state of mind of the main character.

The Prestige was a very good book, told in sections from the different characters' points of view, usually in the form of a memoir or a diary. It is about magicians and recently was adapted to a film with Christian Bale and Hugh Jackman, but I didn't see that so I have no idea how true to the book it was. The language is dry and matter-of-fact, and but I felt that it made the fantastic things they talked about more impressive rather than less. It reminded me of the mundane way some of the things in Journey to the Center of the Earth were referred to.

207-563-5532 fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Nov 16, 2006

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU