Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Juxtaposed
Jan 14, 2005

Deal with it, Hitler.
Just last night I finished My Brain is Open by Bruce Schechter, a fantastic account of mathematician Paul Erdos' life. It's the most recent book in something of a math history binge, a topic which turns out to be either impossibly boring or incredibly interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Juxtaposed
Jan 14, 2005

Deal with it, Hitler.
Just finished Temperament which told how, over a 500 year struggle between some of the greatest minds in physics, philosophy, music, and mathematics, the piano achieved the system of tuning that we are familiar with today (twelve tone equal temperament). It's weird that something that's so familiar and so rational is the result of hundreds of years of debate.

Juxtaposed
Jan 14, 2005

Deal with it, Hitler.
I just finished One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest which was a nice departure from a heavy load of recently assigned classical Greek plays and literature (The Illiad, Prometheus Bound, Seven Against Thebes, and Antigone).

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Juxtaposed
Jan 14, 2005

Deal with it, Hitler.
I had always dismissed Faulkner as an obscurantist hack since my first exposure to him was trudging through Sanctuary (which he said he wrote because he needed the money) and complaining endlessly, but recently I just finished Absalom! Absalom! and The Sound and the Fury and good god drat was I ever wrong. Hell of a writer that Billy Faulkner.