Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iron Chef Nex
Jan 20, 2005
Serving up a hot buttered stabbing
I just wrapped up The Neptune File by Tom Standage. Pretty good history of the rivalries and personalities involved in finding the planet Neptune, as well as planet hunting in general from the time of Herschel to today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Chef Nex
Jan 20, 2005
From Falling Bodies to Radio Waves, by Emilio Segre (again). Excellent history of the classical physics era from a physicist. Delves nicely into the movements, organizations and interpersonal relations between the men who shaped classical physics. The follow-up book From X-rays to Quarks picks up the story and covers the "modern" period of physics.

Iron Chef Nex
Jan 20, 2005
Finished 1776 by David McCullough. I picked this up because I really enjoyed and was impressed with his John Adams biography. This one in my opinion is a bit of a step down. It is much more focused on a short time frame, and while McCullough neatly frames the book with two very different speeches by King George III, with the antics of Washington and the Continental Army in between, it just felt a bit lacking. I was hoping for a broader look at the year, and the book only really gives the military side of things, and even that reads a bit clunky at times. On the other hand the character study of Washington during this period is fantastic, and comes across as supremely interesting.