Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Painkiller
Jan 30, 2005

You think the truth will set you free...

Decius posted:

Imperium by Robert Harris. I always like Cicero more than Caesar ;). Very entertaining if you like Court Room and Political drama.

I've just read this as well, it was pretty good. Harris is writing two more books as part of his series on Cicero, so look out for those. I'm quite a fan of his alternate/historical fiction, Fatherland, Pompeii etc.

Before that I tried reading Catch 22, didn't make it through despite finding it entertaining, before that was Slaughterhouse Five and now I'm reading Cat's Cradle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Painkiller
Jan 30, 2005

I just finished Kurt Vonnegut's Cat's Cradle like 20 minutes ago. I'm still digesting the ending, Vonnegut's general cynicism over humanity is always a bit hard to swallow I find. The last few books I've read are Slaughterhouse Five, 1984, this and I'm going to read All Quiet on the Western Front next, I doubt I'm going be able to get past this month without becoming deeply depressed. :emo:

Painkiller
Jan 30, 2005

Pontius Pilate posted:

Did you just recently stumble upon the world of literature? Those are all great reads but it seems like someone who just really began reading for pleasure. Perhaps I'm just thinking of myself?

Pretty much. I used to read books alot when I was younger but I decided to finally read 1984 at the beginning of summer and it kind of kickstarted my interest in reading again.

Painkiller
Jan 30, 2005

All Quiet on the Western Front by Erich Maria Remarque. Amazing book and everybody everywhere should have it permanently branded into their heads.

Painkiller
Jan 30, 2005

I just finished Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson. I read the last 200 pages or so yesterday, despite a disappointing ending I thought it was a really interesting read. Reminded me alot of that movie Pi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Painkiller
Jan 30, 2005

The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini

I thought the story was excellent until the last section of the book (Where the little kid tries killing himself). That was too much for me, the story was already tragic enough as it was, it seemed like the author was just trying to rachet up the tragedy to sort of out-tragedy itself. Apart from that, it was a great read and I'll probably be reading about Afgahnistan on wikipedia for a while now.