Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

clarion ravenwood
Aug 5, 2005

Blindness by Jose Saramago. I had't read anything by him before - I like the post-apocalyptic what-if vibe so thought it was pretty good.

I decided when I was looking for something to read last that I'd check out what the Nobel Prize for Literature winners had written, and so far I've tried Blindness and Beloved by Toni Morrison, and both I've enjoyed. I've got a few others to go yet. :dance:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clarion ravenwood
Aug 5, 2005

MeatwadIsGod posted:

There aren't enough hours in the day

Too true.

I've just finished The Picture of Dorian Gray and loved it. I don't know why it took me so long to read it! I finally snapped and read it because I see so many references to it, and I wasn't disappointed. I knew the basic premise before I started reading, but it didn't spoil it. Are any of Wilde's short story collections worth picking up?

In the middle of The Mysterious Flame of Queen Loana by Umberto Eco which I was lucky enought to get for Christmas - it's a beautiful illustrated version, and all the novels/comics referred to during the story have their cover art included. It deals with Yambo, who loses his short term memory (we don't yet know why) who tries to regain it by revisting all the things that were familiar in his life, including his childhood home - much of it is through books he read in his youth. Alot of it is about the undercurrents, the things that are unsaid by people that he is left to wonder about, to imagine/reconstruct how things may have been - whether he's regaining real memories, or substituting truth with his imagined version of events.

Next up is House of Leaves, which the same awesome person bought me. Wish me luck!

clarion ravenwood
Aug 5, 2005

n3vrs0br posted:

The entire Dune series. All twelve. Again.

That's impressive. I read and LOVED Dune, but heard that the rest of them don't compare, and I should preserve my golden memories of the first one without sullying them with remembered tears shed over the later ones. Are the rest good?

clarion ravenwood
Aug 5, 2005

AntiZeus posted:

What was the deal with the character of his assistant? In the beginning of the book it seems like his relationship with her was going to be important, but she just drops out and dissapears after the beginning as does his family.

But in general the book read more like a fictional memoir than a novel. Eco isn't enough of a stylist (at least not in tranlation--maybe it's better in Italian) for me just to want to read his sentences for the sheer pleasure of their construction, so the fact that the majority of the book goes nowhere hurts it IMO.

Oh, and what the hell did that ending mean?

His assistant, Sibilla? to me she seemed like another 'echo' in his life of his one true love, Lila - or at least that's how I interperated it.

I have absolutely no idea about that ending. It's like he spent the whole the book trying to find his childhood, then at the end, it found him. But yeah, I was expecting some kind of...well something! to happen at the end. I haven't read The Name of the Rose but I intend to, it's in my pile.

clarion ravenwood
Aug 5, 2005

I just finished The Portrait of a Lady by Henry James. Somehow I've come this far in my life without reading anything by James before.

I had absolutely no idea what to expect and was just so blown away - his dense and lyrical style, poor Isabel, who you end up just wanting to slap. Amazing. Sadly, it's one of those books that's so good that I don't know what to read next.

Started Glamorama by Brett Easton Ellis, but I'm finding it shallow and poorly written - I think I'll give it a rest and come back to it after I finish the giant pile of James' other books I bought last night in a fit of obsessiveness!

clarion ravenwood
Aug 5, 2005

I'm on an Orwell bender - I've just finished 'Down and Out in Paris and London' which was fantastic. It's pretty much what it sounds like, with some devastating musing on wealth and value of wealth.

Just now half way through 'Coming Up for Air'. I really recommend not just reading '1984' Orwell's a genius.

clarion ravenwood
Aug 5, 2005

Orwell by DJ Taylor. I little dry in places, lots of dates, but fascinating subject matter. A good, objective account of a great man who died, sadly, quite young.

Northanger Abbey is in my pile to be read. Just bumped!

clarion ravenwood
Aug 5, 2005

All the Pretty Horses by Cormac McCarthy. Really enjoyed it - partly because with this one you're able to enjoy his amazing prose without being terminally bummed out (thankyou, The Road) or distracted by the violence (Blood Meridian, which I must re-read one day).

I have the three Border Trilogy books in one volume, so onto The Crossing next.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clarion ravenwood
Aug 5, 2005

The Japanese obsession continues - I've just finished 'The Woman in the Dunes' by Kobo Abe and starting 'I am a Cat' by Natsume Soseki.

I really enjoyed 'Dunes...' Abe is a bit Kafka-esque and I enjoyed the exploration of the value/s of live/s. I'll definitely be getting more of his stuff.