Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.
Just finished Book 2 of the Mistborn Trilogy. For some reason, I'm not super psyched to jump into the 3rd despite the cliffhanger. I guess I imagined it ending differently. I'm not sure how though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Finished The Hero of Ages. This one was much better than the 2nd book, I think. The ending was solid. I am kind of disappointed that there's no continuation of the series to hear what happens immediately after the events with the world and characters. Does Secret History address this or is it just a retelling of the history which already happened with added bits?

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

tuyop posted:

I may come back to Wells soon, maybe The War of the Worlds or The Time Machine. I’m on a big public domain reading spree and Librivox audiobooks, though I think I can’t handle the random reader format they go with sometimes, the transitions are jarring.

A few summers ago I read War of the Worlds, Moreau, The Invisible Man, and The Time Machine and thought they were all pretty good but Moreau was definitely the worst of the bunch, followed by The Time Machine I think. I like The Invisible Man a lot more than I thought I would as well. Definitely check the others out.

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Just finished Doctor Zhivago and I have to say it was rough. I had a hard time at the beginning because going in I didn't realize that Russian naming conventions attached relationship/status to the names like Japenese does. So I was extremely confused by that, along with why everyone was always being referred to by full name. Once I figured that out though it was much less confusing, but there so very long sections of story that were diatribes on various philosophical, religious, and political subjects, some of which ended up impacting the course of the whole story and others that were seemingly irrelevant in the scope of the book as a whole.

I had asked a friend about this book after I started it and they said that it was one of the few stories where the movie is better than the book, and I can totally see why, as the movie would eliminate a lot the exhausting extra info. There is a very interesting love story (stories?) buried here between Yuri, Tonia, Lara, and Pasha, along with commentary on the Russian Revolution and the general state of the country during that time, but I found it very dry and tough to get through.

I have been meaning to read Tolstoy, Dostoyevsky, and Solzhenitsyn for a while now, but if they're anything like this book I'm not sure I'll be able to handle it. How do they compare?

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

I just finished The Adventures of Tom Sawyer and it was cool and good. I remember reading it in like 4th grade or something but only remember bits and pieces and certainly didn't appreciate it for what it was then. I'm probably going to read Huck Finn next because I've never read it and it seems like a good place to go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Just finished The Book Thief. Initially I was offput by the writing style, but I did get used to it eventually. I'm glad I did because the story was very good and the ending was genuinely emotional. Good read, would recommend.