Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paper Mache Soul
Sep 6, 2005

Fear and Loathing: On the Campaign Trail '72, Hunter S. Thompson - The only other Thompson book I've read was Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, but even thought I liked it (it was my favorite book for a while), for some reason I didn't have high hopes for this one. It didn't turn out too badly though, and it's a pretty good alternative description of the 1972 Democratic (which is what he covers) campaign, as well as a good description of how McGovern's political world comes crashing down around him as election day draws near. Although it's good if you know what happened, if you want a less biased view of the campaign, or don't even know what went on in '72, avoid this one. 7.5/10

All the President's Men, Bob Woodward and Carl Bernstein - My second reading though, not sure if it counts but whatever. This is probably my favorite book, and actually usurped Fear and Loathing as previous champion. The book is longer than the Redford/Hoffman movie, mainly because of the overabundance of subject matter - the movie stops about halfway through the book. The book is written in the third person, as if Woodward and Bernstein are reporting on their reporting on the Watergate scandal: how it blew up froma burglary, meetings with Deepthroat, interviews with sources (some of whom agreed to be revealed for the book) and so on. The book actually ends before Nixon's resignation, which is covered from inside the White House in Woodward and Bernstein's book "The Final Days" 10/10

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU