Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Livid Blue Couch
Oct 16, 2005
I just finished The Ground Beneath Her Feet by Salman Rushdie. It took me two months. I loved the story, and the prose was absolutely beautiful - there were times when I'd reread a passage two or three times, or speak a part out loud, just because it sounded wonderful. But it dragged. It's one of those books that will be ten times better on a second reading, because I know that the plot is actually going to move. This reading, though, was almost a chore, mostly because of Rushdie's loooong tangenital descriptions of this or that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Livid Blue Couch
Oct 16, 2005
I just finished Snow Crash; I figured that I needed to read it so I could keep up in geek conversations. Everyone I've ever talked to has loved it, and now that I've finished it, I can't imagine why. It was poorly paced and juvenile throughout - it'd go from the adventures of the fifteen year old sex object shreddin' the future streets on her unstoppable skateboard, to twenty five pages of our athletic sociable attractive master-swordsman hacker hero talking to a computer program about some Sumerian myth that, as far as I could tell, has no bearing on the story. There was also some weird racial fetishism going on in that book, seriously.

I don't know if it's one of the worst books I've ever read, or if it just seems that way because it was so hyped up. In any case, it was pretty bad.