Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pazetihutih
Nov 6, 2005

by angerbotSD
I just read Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West by Gregory Maguire and I cannot understand why anyone likes this novel. I'm into alternate history, magical realism, and I've read other authors who are usually classified as the same style as Maguire but I just thought this book went nowhere and was utterly useless besides watching the author rush through and attempt to shock readers while still staying close to the lfrankbaum reality.

Am very close to finishing Gödel, Escher, Bach: an Eternal Golden Braid by Douglas Hofstadter though I think it may take a few rereads to get an good understanding of it all. Anyone have anything similar to this would really appreciate.

I think I shall be reading Guns, Germs, and Steel next to round my reading out some.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pazetihutih
Nov 6, 2005

by angerbotSD
Usually I manage to read for a good four hours solid as I attend lectures each day and I typically read a ton of books at once and write down a few paragraphs of analysis afterwards to keep it separate in my head so forgive the sheer amount of WORDS present in this post.

I completed reading these in the last three months along with a few forgettable series like Gregory Keyes The Age of Unreason and a bunch of Iain Banks Culture books.

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time by Mark Haddon

The style was different and I enjoyed that about it. Some of the story was a bit heartbreaking too, but overall I would have to say that it wasn't as good as I was led to believe by the many people who recommended it.

Altered Carbon,Broken Angels, and Woken Furies by Richard Morgan

Awesome books that are pure cyberpunk and great for being so. Though his writing style can be a bit confusing as to what is actually happening and who is talking from moment to moment I think that was a good thing as most of the three books had to do with identity. From book to book you get almost an entirely new character in Takeshi Kovachs than the previous one hinting at just how strangely the sleeving process affects all humans, even Envoys.

Darkly Dreaming Dexter and Dearly Devoted Dexter by Jeff Lindsay

Books one and two in his Dexter series, I heard of them through watching the Series on HBO. Besides it being Dexter they rapidly diverge from the shows storyline for the worse. The television show is compelling to watch and each page these books were tough to plow through from one poorly written characters dialogue to the next Mr. Lindsay also is not anywhere near being even an okay writer and I doubt i'll be reading anything more from him.

Besides those I'm currently reading John Gardner's Grendel, Jasper Fforde's Thursday Next series, Haruki Murakami after Haruki Murakami titled book, The Black Company by Glen Cook, David Sedaris's Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim, which is tough reading since his homosexuality jumps in your face as he details a sleepover with other youth's, and I'm still attempting Godel, Escher, Bach: an Eternal Golden Braid, which with all of the material on music will more than likely take me all of 2007 and early 2008 to complete.

pazetihutih fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Feb 19, 2007