Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scipio Africanus
Dec 4, 2005

Enslave the Elephants!
My power was out for a week so I was able to get some reading done.

Altered Carbon by Richard K. Morgan was a great detective story set in a society where humans can be transfered out of their bodies upon death. A very rich and old man killed himself and hires a detective to figure out what led him to killing himself. The book was physically long but quick to read.

On the Beach by Nevil Shute is a book about the Southern Hemisphere awaiting their death by radiation due to nuclear war in the North. The book was about five pages of small talk followed by a paragraph of soul-crushing sadness, then back to small talk. The characters were unrealistic, every single one of them accepting their approaching doom in a very stoic and English manner.

Cat's Cradle by Kurt Vonnegut was interesting. Still not sure what to make of it, but I liked it.

I just started What is the Waht by Dave Eggers. I had heard good things about the book and decided to read it after being placed in a program at my school in which we tutor refugees.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scipio Africanus
Dec 4, 2005

Enslave the Elephants!
I just finished The Forever War by Joe Haldeman in two sittings, which I haven't been able to do with a book for a long time. Vietnam in space, but with the effects of relativity thrown in as well. The happy ending came out of nowhere, but was a nice dose of happy in an otherwise grim book.