Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

A Wizard of Earthsea. Folks, Le Guin was a really good author, did anyone know that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

fez_machine posted:

No. Dinner party scenes in every novel are boring nightmares. Have not read one I've enjoyed.

Probably because they're trying to capture the tenor of multiple bad conversations.

Have you read Harrow

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

I loved the first half, what about it makes you say it's bad rather than just not to your taste?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Mammoths at the Gates, the latest in the Singing Hills by Nghi Vo. A story about stories, barely over a hundred pages. I had read the first one, Empress of Salt and Fortune, but not the intervening two, and as promised by someone, that didn't matter, this could stand alone if need be.

Quite fun, took no time at all. Still like the nonbinary protagonist.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Just wrapped up my journey through, of all things, the hunger games trilogy. Mostly because my favorite podcast did a first time reader read through.

My main feelings as a parent of young kids:

First book was extremely upsetting and gave me literal nightmares

Second book was maybe a little less upsetting, but sure got really bleak really fast

Third book was full grim awful the whole way through until maybe the last couple chapters, just unrelenting the whole way through

Overall, I'm glad I read them, and I'm not going to watch the movies since the viscerality of visual media will just make it all worse. Obviously YA so I didn't analyze the world structure too deeply.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

I just read, in relatively rapid succession

The Dispossessed
Masterpiece, not that I have to say that for anything in this post, really. This is my first foray into Le Guin other than Wizard of Earthsea, and I'm blown away. The book felt heavy in a way I'm not usually reading, every chapter meaningful, clear even with the jumping around in perspective between the various times of the narrative. Loved it. Made me want to read more Hainish.

The Left Hand of Darkness
Been on my list for forever, because, well. I think this must have been a recent edition (borrowed ebook) because it had a foreword and a post...word? that talked about gender in very modern terms. Loved it, bittersweet ending, I think in the end it sits a little below The Dispossessed for me.

The Lathe of Heaven
This one felt personal. I have memory issues, and found Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind one of the scariest pieces of entertainment in existence, literally gave me nightmares. I was on edge for every page, and had to put it down after a couple chapters at a time for most of the book. Glad I read it, hard to rank it in any way given the subject matter.

So, uh, hot take, Le Guin was a really good author.