Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bibliophobe
Apr 25, 2006

by Fistgrrl
I just read Patriotic Fire by Winston Groom. It's a history of the battle of New Orleans during the war of 1812. The book follows Andrew Jackson during the conflict and while I enjoyed it immensely, but a great deal of it was sourced to other authors. Still, he manages to frame the battle and its aftermath, which I knew almost nothing about, in a straightforward and understandable way.

Bibliophobe fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Nov 16, 2006

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bibliophobe
Apr 25, 2006

by Fistgrrl
I also just finished The Tortilla Curtain by T. Coraghessan Boyle. The book is about the intersecting lives of two families in modern day S. California - one wealthy and the other illegal aliens. This book could have been great but you could see the gears at work. This is the part where we're suppossed to laugh, this is sad part. Boyle's dialogue sounded like forced political speech.

Still, it's a book dealing with a very modern topic and it held my interest. I wouldn't recommend it for the story however.

Also let me be immodest and say I have the best username in this forum.