Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Delicious Sci Fi
Jul 17, 2006

You cannot lose if you do not play.
Just finished rereading The Reader's Manifesto which I read every now and then. I love it because the author blasts Don Delillo and Cormac McCarthey two authors I just can't stand. Everything Myers, the author, says in that book I agree with concerning those two.

Also finished World War Z but other than that I have been reading a lot of graphic novels. Books-A-Million was running a buy two get one free deal on all DC and Vertigo graphic novels. I picked up the last six of Preacher[b] and the last six of [b]Sandman. Those took a while to read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delicious Sci Fi
Jul 17, 2006

Freakanomics by Steven Levitts was a good book but not nearly as groundbreaking as the many people who recommended it to me made it seem. It has made me look at a few things in a new light but I had a hard time getting into this book. The switching complete change of topic from one chapter to another made it hard for me to get a good flow while reading.

The ending also felt like a let down. He goes on and on for two hundred pages about how through data one can find almost anything and there will always be patterns but at the end he completely upends that by citing two examples that buck the data. I figure that is suppose to serve as a warning to not always trust the dat or some type of uplifting message about how you can still succeed in spite of everything but I felt it weakened his argument about how data and raw numbers never lie.

The chapters on names and how they affect or don't affect kids read very poorly put together to me. I can't really place why really, they just felt thrown together.
I would recommend this book though, it was good enough that those flaws were forgivable.

Delicious Sci Fi
Jul 17, 2006

Just finished reading The Best American Non Required Reading edited by Dave Eggers. It was ok and pretty much what I expected out of a book compiled by Dave Eggers and a group of high Schoolers, most of the stories were fun to read but poorly executed and heavy handed with the message they were trying to deliver. The best was the Excerpt from "Whats Your Dangerous Idea?" where the Edge Foundation asks Scientists from all over what their dangerous ides is an then publish the resulting essays. If I was you I would just track down a copy of that and forget about everything else in the book.