Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

Man. This all just reminded me of the Total Recall tv show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

I think it's an older movie? The only thing I remember is a scene where a son takes home some meat from his job at the meat factory. His father is at his apartment and waiting for him(I think they live together?). The father devours the meat and asks for more. Some really creepy surrealist vibe.

Does this movie really exist or should I see a psychiatrist about this?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Alan Smithee posted:

I asked about a different episode in an old post and (Mesmer’s Bauble) because I had watched it on sci-fi as well

The answer poster got it just by plugging in keywords into IMDb

This has happened to me multiple times, where I've tried slamming IMDB and Google with everything I can try, I describe the show to a friend and he just conjures up the magical keyword chain first try and boom, there's that game/movie/show/other media thing I've been fruitlessly trying to locate for a week and which has been slowly driving me insane.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.

GABA ghoul posted:

I think it's an older movie? The only thing I remember is a scene where a son takes home some meat from his job at the meat factory. His father is at his apartment and waiting for him(I think they live together?). The father devours the meat and asks for more. Some really creepy surrealist vibe.

Does this movie really exist or should I see a psychiatrist about this?

One of The Kids in the Hall's weird shorts has a scene like that.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ChvxsVgT8c

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Detective Thompson posted:

haha this is the first thing I thought of too

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Detective Thompson posted:

Holy poo poo, that's it!

I couldn't remember the rest of the movie because there isn't one. Thank you so much!

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
No problem. Gave me a chance to watch it again after so many years.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Trevor Hale posted:

Man. This all just reminded me of the Total Recall tv show.

That show sucked!

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

oldpainless posted:

That show sucked!

More like old tasteless!

(Nah it was bad!)

MachineryNoise
Jan 13, 2008

So I shout "Set your life on fire!"
You guys remember the Timecop TV show? Yeah, neither do I.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Max Headroom, Total Recall 2070, and Robocop are three 90s cyberpunk shows that all have way more going for them than they should. Yeah, they're not always "good" in the traditional sense, but they've got a whole lot of heart and each have moments of greatness. Recall is certainly the worst of them, though.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

Tsietisin posted:

There is literally no connection to the movies whatsoever other than the name.

Literally none.
Rumor had it that the final episode of the series would have a cursed hockey mask as the Bad Object of the Day, but like a lot of TV series it just kind of petered off into oblivion instead of having a concrete ending.

Skyscraper posted:

That's pretty wild, is it any good?
It was pretty fun, and a couple of the episodes are fantastic. Generally the ones where people try to do good (even if selfishly) with the cursed objects, and terrible things result. My personal favorite was some kind a cursed crib. The item was keeping a couple's baby alive, but they had to keep "feeding" it by drowning people or their kid's respiratory condition would prove fatal. After seven murders, they baby would be cured. When the heroes were finally able to identify the killers, the mom leapt off the apartment balcony into the pool, making herself the 7th victim.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

The Macaroni posted:

Rumor had it that the final episode of the series would have a cursed hockey mask as the Bad Object of the Day, but like a lot of TV series it just kind of petered off into oblivion instead of having a concrete ending.
It was pretty fun, and a couple of the episodes are fantastic. Generally the ones where people try to do good (even if selfishly) with the cursed objects, and terrible things result. My personal favorite was some kind a cursed crib. The item was keeping a couple's baby alive, but they had to keep "feeding" it by drowning people or their kid's respiratory condition would prove fatal. After seven murders, they baby would be cured. When the heroes were finally able to identify the killers, the mom leapt off the apartment balcony into the pool, making herself the 7th victim.

Thanks for spoilering that, I'll come back and read it after I see the show.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Skyscraper posted:

I'd call it charming rather than good. It has some decent acting and okay effects for the time, and you can tell that most of the people involved really did try their best, but most of the episodes are reasonably predictable and most of the "spooky" moments are ruined by the fact that the soundtrack orchestra seems to have a stroke any time anything even vaguely dramatic happens on screen. It's not a show that "gets" subtlety, for the most part.

Still, I enjoy watching it.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

I saw this one on other people's screens on a couple JAL flights earlier this year, I think it's Chinese though, it's about a young girl who keeps thinking she's found what she wants to do in life before changing her mind, and eventually she ends up working in a mine or factory or something. Had a pretty lighthearted tone tho

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord
Okay, so these might be a dream I had, a TV show, or a movie, so I'm not expecting a ton of answers.

1) I have vague recollections of an old-ish film (or TV show), 1970s era, but two images are stark: one is of a black bug-like creature swaddled in blankets like a baby, lots of 'o no's all around, with an eventual cut to a bright ship that looked kinda snowflake-like falling slowly, slightly tilted, behind a horizon of evergreens. Pretty sure the sequence wasn't quite that quick, I have dim memories of someone peering out a window like 'oh no it's happening again' or something, but that could be where the confabulation comes in.

2) I thought this might be Return to Oz or Through the Looking Glass, but it's not the former, and I haven't had a chance to see the latter. Mostly it's just a scene in which everything is black except what look like large, brightly colored jacks (the game) rolling in and out of frame.

Again, could just be childhood dreams I'm remembering, but the images are super vivid, and I'm not entirely convinced that 'dream' is all they are.

Sorry if this is stupidly vague.

Sir Nose
Mar 28, 2009

ERASERHEAD has a swaddled creature baby and people looking out a window. I don't remember a falling ship but it's been years since I've seen it. But ERASERHEAD is black and white, so I don't know about brightly colored jacks.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

Sir Nose posted:

ERASERHEAD has a swaddled creature baby and people looking out a window. I don't remember a falling ship but it's been years since I've seen it. But ERASERHEAD is black and white, so I don't know about brightly colored jacks.

Sorry, I should be clearer, 1 and 2 would be distinctly different films/shows, if they actually exist. And the bug one definitely isn't Eraserhead. It was more-- idk, kitschy 70s Outer Limits than anything else, and wasn't nearly that gnarly or surreal.

Old Boot fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Dec 18, 2019

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Taking a long shot here: Are you possibly recalling the really weird jester stuff from Xtro?

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

TTBF posted:

Taking a long shot here: Are you possibly recalling the really weird jester stuff from Xtro?

No, but it's close enough in film quality and lighting/imagery that it made me think it was for a moment or two.

Also :lol: how is it I've never heard of this before?

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

It's an 80s horror movie about a race car that's also a vampire and sucks its drivers dry. Possibly 70s.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

mike12345 posted:

It's an 80s horror movie about a race car that's also a vampire and sucks its drivers dry. Possibly 70s.

Sounds like 1982 Czech horror film Ferat Vampire, or ‘Upír z Feratu’.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Yeah that's it of course it's a skoda lol

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
TIL Total Recall had a show

Skyscraper posted:

I asked for an ID on Mesmer's Bauble as I hadn't finished it when I saw it as a teen. It was pretty good, very 90s tv schlock with some good psycho drama. Not the most...trans friendly?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

open question: I'm trying to find cartoon scenes where the character juggles object in a circular ferris wheel pattern as opposed to a....adobe acrobat logo? I don't even know what it's called

Anyway I found one on youtube of pluto from a mickey show though I vaguely recall it happening in looney tunes with increasingly heavy/large/dangerous objects. Pretty sure that's where I got the idea

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

Alan Smithee posted:

open question: I'm trying to find cartoon scenes where the character juggles object in a circular ferris wheel pattern as opposed to a....adobe acrobat logo? I don't even know what it's called

Anyway I found one on youtube of pluto from a mickey show though I vaguely recall it happening in looney tunes with increasingly heavy/large/dangerous objects. Pretty sure that's where I got the idea

Happens in the classic drive-in intermission cartoon: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26pQNKEOXjo

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Alan Smithee posted:

TIL Total Recall had a show

Barely. They had the rights to the name, but the creators clearly wanted to make a Blade Runner show instead. So it ends up more of a cheap 90s Canadian PKD remix.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Now I want a Blade Runner show. But, you know, good.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Supposedly the Cowboy Bebop guy is making an anime show for Adult Swim/Crunchyroll but all's been quiet on that front for over a year. Supposedly they were finishing work on the new Ghost in the Shell show first so it's not necessarily a bad sign.

But a live action one would be ideal—I wasn't blown away by the Blackout short by the same team, which just felt like a remix of the first movie.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Origami Dali posted:

Now I want a Do Androids Dream of Electric show. But, you know, about a guy who runs medical scalpels.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Origami Dali posted:

Now I want a Blade Runner show. But, you know, good.

Wasn't that basically Altered Carbon? I didn't see it but I heard tons of good poo poo about it.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

sigher posted:

Wasn't that basically Altered Carbon? I didn't see it but I heard tons of good poo poo about it.

Eh, kinda-sorta-almost? Like, I guess you could say that there's some DNA of Blade Runner in there but it really does more of its own thing.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
I really didn't like Altered Carbon. It was like Blade Runner if it were made by Paul WS Anderson.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

sigher posted:

Altered Carbon lifts the aesthetics but nothing else. It's a mess of a show but the it's really well made from a visual standpoint and the main story is really entertaining if not particularly thematically rich.

I revisited the Max Headroom narrative TV show recently after watching a lot of (bad) cyberpunk and came away really impressed. It's goofy as hell but really nails the tenets of Western cyberpunk in a way that no other TV show manages—or most movies, honestly. I'd highly recommend it if you haven't caught it and dig cyberpunk. The titular character is thankfully a pretty minor presence and is well utilized when he's around.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

feedmyleg posted:

I revisited the Max Headroom narrative TV show recently after watching a lot of (bad) cyberpunk and came away really impressed. It's goofy as hell but really nails the tenets of Western cyberpunk in a way that no other TV show manages—or most movies, honestly. I'd highly recommend it if you haven't caught it and dig cyberpunk. The titular character is thankfully a pretty minor presence and is well utilized when he's around.

Also check it out if you're a fan of the live action Super Mario movie because it was directed by the same people

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I just wanted to say that I was blown away when I learned that Max Headroom was portrayed by Matt Frewer, best know by me as the neighbour dad from Honey I Shrunk the Kids.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

sigher posted:

Around the same time that Altered Carbon premiered, an article came out that talked about how Netflix gives algorithmic notes to their in-house productions. Things like “at minute 11, X should happen because we find that it doesn’t, people will turn off the episode”.

Knowing that, Altered Carbon was the most algorithmically put together show. It wasn’t good, but enough happened in the last 90 seconds of an episode where i felt compelled to watch the next one.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
The source material for Altered Carbon is way way edgier and more energetic than the show. There’s no loving gang of unimpressive hippies in a Canadian forest either.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Trevor Hale posted:

Around the same time that Altered Carbon premiered, an article came out that talked about how Netflix gives algorithmic notes to their in-house productions. Things like “at minute 11, X should happen because we find that it doesn’t, people will turn off the episode”.

Knowing that, Altered Carbon was the most algorithmically put together show. It wasn’t good, but enough happened in the last 90 seconds of an episode where i felt compelled to watch the next one.

I would love to see the complete list of notes from the algorithm, for every show, I feel like that'd be a rosetta stone for modern TV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parachute
May 18, 2003
in that sense the mandalorian feels like a video game every single episode. i mean they had the episode where he has to upgrade his armor, then do the riding/ controller training tutorial before doing the fetch/kill quest and gets baby yoda as part of the next quest chain.