Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Parachute posted:

in that sense the mandalorian feels like a video game every single episode. i mean they had the episode where he has to upgrade his armor, then do the riding/ controller training tutorial before doing the fetch/kill quest and gets baby yoda as part of the next quest chain.

Get used to it. More and more emerging directors were raised on video games these days, and many of those likely have a more extensive knowledge of/history with games than with cinema. We'll always have a handful of young film nerds like the Safdie brothers and whatnot at the fringes, but when it comes to blockbusters expect them only to get more video game-like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

Parachute posted:

in that sense the mandalorian feels like a video game every single episode. i mean they had the episode where he has to upgrade his armor, then do the riding/ controller training tutorial before doing the fetch/kill quest and gets baby yoda as part of the next quest chain.

Mandolorian is at least very classically paced, not just from syndicated shows like Xena and Hercules but the Fugitive and Route 66.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

It was a really old cartoon, and some sort of green... cactus monster? Is attacking balloon people and straight up murders a balloon dog. They end up fighting it off by covering it in.... goo? Tar? Anyway it scared the poo poo out of me

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

The Chad Jihad posted:

It was a really old cartoon, and some sort of green... cactus monster? Is attacking balloon people and straight up murders a balloon dog. They end up fighting it off by covering it in.... goo? Tar? Anyway it scared the poo poo out of me

Probably "Balloon Land".

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

gently caress I focused too much on the cactus part in my searching. And it was a caterpillar not a dog, but the balloon body count was much higher than I even remembered it being

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

feedmyleg posted:

Get used to it. More and more emerging directors were raised on video games these days, and many of those likely have a more extensive knowledge of/history with games than with cinema. We'll always have a handful of young film nerds like the Safdie brothers and whatnot at the fringes, but when it comes to blockbusters expect them only to get more video game-like.
Yes, that young lad weened on video games, Jon Favreau!

Parachute
May 18, 2003
mandalorian related because i just watched the last episode

my description above was for the 1st or 2nd episode but also absolutely applies in every way to the last episode too.

what a weird and mediocre show; it feels like i was a part of some focus group for watching it and i can't really explain why

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!

The Chad Jihad posted:

gently caress I focused too much on the cactus part in my searching. And it was a caterpillar not a dog, but the balloon body count was much higher than I even remembered it being

https://youtu.be/p8Q-RuAx4V4?t=3762

"Okay, now we're in Hell."

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Parachute posted:

what a weird and mediocre show; it feels like i was a part of some focus group for watching it and i can't really explain why

Mediocre is the right word. I get what you mean about the focus group too: if I’d been specially selected to watch this a year ago, with the caveat that it was a visual story board that still needed a ton of edits and inserts, an actual soundtrack, effects polishing, and a complete story overhaul, I’d have been extremely impressed.

Good things include the baby, Werner, the Ughnaught, the robot, and the speeder troopers. The set design and decoration and the costumes were all on point too.

Bad things, almost everything else. Lots of poor cgi work, incomprehensibly bad music choices, Gina and Carl, the ‘simple people of the land’ episode, making the jailbreak boring with that cast, the pathetic rpg ‘gain companions, level up your gear’ feeling throughout, and, most egregiously, that the initial episode predicament ‘bad guy wants thing’ was resolved eight episodes later with the thrilling ‘slightly more powerful bad guy wants thing’.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
What’s the movie where someone pukes in a tuba?

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Naked Gun 33 1/3, prob.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Origami Dali posted:

Naked Gun 33 1/3, prob.

Yep. James Earl Jones says, "Looks like Phil Donahue throwing up in a tuba."

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
God bless you both.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Is there a movie where one of the Hemsworth brothers is playing a very insecure version of themselves and starts to break down any time one of the more successful ones is mentioned?

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

Phy posted:

Is there a movie where one of the Hemsworth brothers is playing a very insecure version of themselves and starts to break down any time one of the more successful ones is mentioned?

The Good Place invented a fictional Larry Hemsworth who is a pediatric surgeon but is the black sheep of the family.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Phy posted:

Are you thinking of The Good Place (season 3 I think), where Tahani was in a relationship with "Larry Hemsworth", the 4th Hemsworth brother?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

what dat

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYhrSTnfZ6s

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Trevor Hale posted:

The Good Place invented a fictional Larry Hemsworth who is a pediatric surgeon but is the black sheep of the family.

YES! Yes, that was it, thank you.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
There should be a fifth brother, Chad Hemsworth, who’s super handsome and ripped.

whose tuggin
Nov 6, 2009

by Hand Knit
There was a post-apocalyptic action movie that I saw on VHS no less than 17 years ago. Late '90's or early 2000's. The apocalyptic scenario is that the great earthquake that separated the California land mass from the rest of the continent finally occurred, and everything had been turned to desert. One dude, the protagonist, was wandering around the desert for some reason.

There was a prison full of prisoners that had rioted and taken control of the prison, but they had nowhere else to live so they all stayed inside this prison. They had no water since it was a desert so the all stood shoulder to shoulder in the prison yard and passed around a bottle of piss that they all would variously piss into or drink from. A loudspeaker blared information at them in a very 1984-like sequence.

Eventually the prisoners leave the prison to pursue the protagonist for some reason (I think)?

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

This is probably going to wind up being something stupid or embarrassing. I heard a song on a show I liked and looked into the band, Superorganism, and found this song, Everybody wants to be famous
I’ve definitely heard it before but for the life of me I can’t think of where. It feels like I’ve heard it often enough that must be a commercial or credits song for something, but nothing comes up for me when I search. Is this ringing bells for anyone?

Opopanax fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Jan 5, 2020

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
It's apparently in a trailer for The Sims.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

there was a movie from maybe the 90s where people are trapped in a mall and some robots are attacking them (they kinda looked like ripoff HKs from terminator)
i dont remember anything else about the movie. thanks

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

banned from Starbucks posted:

there was a movie from maybe the 90s where people are trapped in a mall and some robots are attacking them (they kinda looked like ripoff HKs from terminator)

chopping mall

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

banned from Starbucks posted:

ch

Origami Dali posted:

chopping mall

fucker

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

jeeze i just saw that title mentioned in another thread and it never occurred to me it was the movie i was thinking off. thanks

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
Chopp... dammit

The Scientist posted:

There was a post-apocalyptic action movie that I saw on VHS no less than 17 years ago. Late '90's or early 2000's. The apocalyptic scenario is that the great earthquake that separated the California land mass from the rest of the continent finally occurred, and everything had been turned to desert. One dude, the protagonist, was wandering around the desert for some reason.

There was a prison full of prisoners that had rioted and taken control of the prison, but they had nowhere else to live so they all stayed inside this prison. They had no water since it was a desert so the all stood shoulder to shoulder in the prison yard and passed around a bottle of piss that they all would variously piss into or drink from. A loudspeaker blared information at them in a very 1984-like sequence.

Eventually the prisoners leave the prison to pursue the protagonist for some reason (I think)?

The Last Patrol (also known as The Last Warrior apparently) with Dolph Ludgren? A very bad bad movie, as opposed to the many good bad movies with pretty much identical plots.

edit for link: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0214871/

Gravy Jones fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Jan 6, 2020

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Pigs are smarter than Bears, but they can't ride motorcycles
Hair Elf
I've been trying to find a horror movie I remember flipping past on TV once; it was a woman alone in a haunted house or cabin on a large body of water (I think she leaves in a boat at one point?) and the conceit was that the audience could see the ghosts, but the woman couldn't (so there were like jump scares where the woman is walking around and there's just some random pale white-eyed dude in the corner watching her, or like he leans down and blows out her candle etc.). Does this sound familiar to anyone?

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

plainswalker75 posted:

I've been trying to find a horror movie I remember flipping past on TV once; it was a woman alone in a haunted house or cabin on a large body of water (I think she leaves in a boat at one point?) and the conceit was that the audience could see the ghosts, but the woman couldn't (so there were like jump scares where the woman is walking around and there's just some random pale white-eyed dude in the corner watching her, or like he leans down and blows out her candle etc.). Does this sound familiar to anyone?

Sounds like every James Wan movie, Conjuring, Insidious, etc.

Price Check
Oct 9, 2012

plainswalker75 posted:

There's water/boat stuff in What Lies Beneath. She's alone for a lot of the movie too.

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Hair Elf

Origami Dali posted:

Sounds like every James Wan movie, Conjuring, Insidious, etc.

That's kinda what I thought too, but it doesn't look like any of those films have quite the atmosphere or scenes I'm remembering.

Price Check posted:

There's water/boat stuff in What Lies Beneath. She's alone for a lot of the movie too.

This looks a bit closer, but I distinctly remember a male ghost with whited out eyes watching the woman from a corner while she does stuff.

Thanks though!

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I remember a short film I saw on IFC years and years ago about a bunch of old men hiking in some germanic speaking country and they all get stuck one by one in a bog or something and resign themselves to die. I remember liking it but not if it was actually you know good. I think it might be noregian, danish or swedish but not positive

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

plainswalker75 posted:

Is it new or old? If it’s old, maybe it Let’s Scare Jessica to Death?

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Hair Elf

ruddiger posted:

Is it new or old? If it’s old, maybe it Let’s Scare Jessica to Death?

It was newer (probably post 2000's?) but that looks like an amazing film and I'll have to check it out!

Edit: I found it!! It's a movie from 2010 called "The Prescence"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yL5EgbTvByI

plainswalker75 fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Jan 7, 2020

Sir Nose
Mar 28, 2009

plainswalker75 posted:

that looks like an amazing film
Eh it isn't, really

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

plainswalker75 posted:

It was newer (probably post 2000's?) but that looks like an amazing film and I'll have to check it out!

Edit: I found it!! It's a movie from 2010 called "The Prescence"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yL5EgbTvByI

I was going to say The Prescence. Glad I was right

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

What bicycle racing movie has a character who is obsessed with Italian cyclists, to the point he shaves his legs? During the climax he gets to race against Italians, but they sabotage his bike.

Torquemada posted:

There should be a fifth brother, Chad Hemsworth, who’s super handsome and ripped.

And he's dating me!

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

pospysyl posted:

What bicycle racing movie has a character who is obsessed with Italian cyclists, to the point he shaves his legs? During the climax he gets to race against Italians, but they sabotage his bike.

Breaking Away (1979).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
I saw a movie in the early to mid-2000s that I think was relatively new at the time, which was a version of Romeo and Juliet, where one of the title characters was Japanese, the other was a Brazilian immigrant to Japan, and the whole thing was written against the backdrop of the acrimonious relationship between Japan and its immigrant populations.

Does that sound at all familiar to anyone? Google's been remarkably unhelpful.