Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IGotDConch
May 16, 2006

Welcome to the Free City of Newark

limpster posted:

I am trying to remember a movie I saw mentioned in this forum a month or so ago. It was an asian film which I remember people calling one of the best thrillers ever made, at the time I checked out the cover of the DVD and it had picture of an asian guy who's face pretty much covered it. I also think that the translated title included the word Murder but I'm not 100% sure. Any help is really appreciated. :)

Ichi the Killer?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0296042/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

limpster
Jan 28, 2002

The custom title is literal and will be posted just as you type it unless changes are deemed necessary.

IGotDConch posted:

Ichi the Killer?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0296042/

Nope, I just remembered it! Memories of Murder - http://imdb.com/title/tt0353969/

Thanks though. :)

[edit-guess I hosed up the cover too heh]

limpster fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Dec 2, 2006

anticake
Nov 5, 2004

Biscuit Hider
I have no idea if anyone can help me because this one is a Korean, I want to say, comedy. Except it may or may not be a comedy. I remember it as a comedy but none of the parts I remember are particularly funny except for one. It is also one of the only Korean movies I thought was really any good, and I have seen way too many Korean movies.

Anyway the first scene is the main character, he's a detective, and his partner shaking down, or something, these drug runners. I can't remember how this goes down really, but the detectives end up with a fairly prodigous amount of either heroin or coke or something else that is white powder. They drive along awhile, they stop, and the main character gets out of his car. At this point his partner feels it would be a great time to ventilate his own head. Goodbye partner, nice knowing you. I can't remember what happens next, I think he hides the drugs in a pot full of water at his mom's house, where he may or may not live. There is also a scene with gratuitous man rear end, as is apparently required by the Korean government, in a bath house around this time.

This is all just background because we haven't even met the villain yet! It's this successful guy who, I can't really remember this, may just kill people for no reason. First I think he either kills a cabbie or a bum. Then he offs his parents. Can't remember what else he did. Our main character gets on the case but somehow he is booted down to like traffic cop. Then this gang of ruffians attacks this, I think, restaurant and he leaves his traffic duty to go whoop their asses single handedly and make them clean the place up before the other cops get there to take them away. Then some other poo poo probably happens, but eventually he gets in a fight with the villain and kills him and sprinkles the drugs on him so he would have gotten the death penalty anyway.

Actually I've thought of a second movie. This one, also Korean, is pretty hosed up. It starts out and this girl pickpockets or shoplifts some poo poo. These guys track her down and one of them can't talk because he got his vocal cords all hosed up or something it turns out. Anyway they basically turn her into their prostitute, who this silent guy may have more of there was a whole row and I can't remember if they were all his or not. So at first they don't make her gently caress for money, they sit her down behind some one way glass and have her watch other prostitutes have sex for money. Eventually they put her out there and she's obviously all uncomfortable with it. At some point the silent guy pissed off some other guy and he gets stabbed with a gigantic chunk of loving broken glass. Most bizarre assault ever. So eventually this girl, she like breaks away or something, I think, and goes to this little beach where she thinks about drowning herself or something. Then the silent guy shows up with a truck with a bed in the back and as oppoesed to killing herself or trying to run away or anything a normal person might do she just goes back to being a hooker and fucks some guy from the beach, if I'm not mistaken. Really hosed up movie, it's not really as important as the first one because I just want to know the name so I can tell people with a name as opposed to describe a nameless Korean movie.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

limpster posted:

I am trying to remember a movie I saw mentioned in this forum a month or so ago. It was an asian film which I remember people calling one of the best thrillers ever made, at the time I checked out the cover of the DVD and it had picture of an asian guy who's face pretty much covered it. I also think that the translated title included the word Murder but I'm not 100% sure. Any help is really appreciated. :)

Is the guy's face slashed up? If so then you are probably thinking Ichi the Killer

http://imdb.com/title/tt0296042/

edit: beaten like an Alabama child

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

anticake posted:

Actually I've thought of a second movie. This one, also Korean, is pretty hosed up. It starts out and this girl pickpockets or shoplifts some poo poo. These guys track her down and one of them can't talk because he got his vocal cords all hosed up or something it turns out. Anyway they basically turn her into their prostitute, who this silent guy may have more of there was a whole row and I can't remember if they were all his or not. So at first they don't make her gently caress for money, they sit her down behind some one way glass and have her watch other prostitutes have sex for money. Eventually they put her out there and she's obviously all uncomfortable with it. At some point the silent guy pissed off some other guy and he gets stabbed with a gigantic chunk of loving broken glass. Most bizarre assault ever. So eventually this girl, she like breaks away or something, I think, and goes to this little beach where she thinks about drowning herself or something. Then the silent guy shows up with a truck with a bed in the back and as oppoesed to killing herself or trying to run away or anything a normal person might do she just goes back to being a hooker and fucks some guy from the beach, if I'm not mistaken. Really hosed up movie, it's not really as important as the first one because I just want to know the name so I can tell people with a name as opposed to describe a nameless Korean movie.

Bad Guy?

http://imdb.com/title/tt0307213/

I haven't seen it but the plot I've read is a gangster/pimp becomes obsessed with a normal student and forces her into prostitution

anticake
Nov 5, 2004

Biscuit Hider

Alan Smithee posted:

Bad Guy?

http://imdb.com/title/tt0307213/

I haven't seen it but the plot I've read is a gangster/pimp becomes obsessed with a normal student and forces her into prostitution

Thanks. The cover on Amazon is wrong but I can't imagine there were two movies with that plot, and now that the synopsis mentioned it I remember he watched her from behind glass too so I guess it has to be it. Thanks again Alan Smithee.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

anticake posted:

Thanks. The cover on Amazon is wrong but I can't imagine there were two movies with that plot, and now that the synopsis mentioned it I remember he watched her from behind glass too so I guess it has to be it. Thanks again Alan Smithee.

Guess that piece of paper Cal gave me is worth something after all

As to your first one it doesn't ring a bell, though to be honest I've only watched about 3/4 of a Korean movie total. Read about em though. How old is it, how popular and any idea what the cover looks like?

anticake
Nov 5, 2004

Biscuit Hider

Alan Smithee posted:

Guess that piece of paper Cal gave me is worth something after all

As to your first one it doesn't ring a bell, though to be honest I've only watched about 3/4 of a Korean movie total. Read about em though. How old is it, how popular and any idea what the cover looks like?

I can't believe I forgot to put the date in there. I watched it in 2003 or so, so no newer than that. Based on production values alone it would have to be either late 90's or early 2000s. I'm not sure if it was popular in Korea or not, but it was one of the better Korean movies I've seen so I'd assume it was at least mildly popular. Then again I think Attack the Gas Station and JSA were actually popular and I thought that both were pretty lame so my opinion may be way off.

Also I have this niggling suspicion that "Hero" is in the title, but that could be wrong.

No clue on the cover, my barracks neighbor just brought the DVD over because I could play Region 3 stuff with little hassle.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

anticake posted:

Also I have this niggling suspicion that "Hero" is in the title, but that could be wrong.

No clue on the cover, my barracks neighbor just brought the DVD over because I could play Region 3 stuff with little hassle.

well there is a movie My Boss My Hero (2001), only K-movie with that word I know of, but from what Ive read it's a schoolboy drama

invalid user
Nov 15, 2006

Shit's expensive, bro. Plus, fuck Lurdiak.
Ok, here's one.

I recall a monster that teleports, an older sister, a younger brother with a machine gun, and sister's boyfriend who looks something like Casey Jones who gets eaten by the monster.

The scene I remember is that the sis and boyfriend go up to their parent's room and the lil bro carrying his gun doesn't want them to go in there. They go in there and her parents and grandparents are in there, all in bed together and look like they're covered in slime/snot/whatever. She says something's disgusting about it all. Then the monster materializes and glides over to eat the screaming boyfriend.

skralljt
Sep 16, 2004
bah
Is anyone familiar with a kung-fu film where the antagonists were ninjas that resembled each of the four elements, and the protagonists were smuggling a prince out of a beseiged palace? It was really over the top, sega even used clips of it for some commercial back in the day. I've looked all over for it, but my search is stumped by the existence of a film called "five element ninjas" which is close enough in plot to fill up all the search results.
I think there was also one of those old bad guys with a really long white beard common to kung-fu films who was the leader of the antagonists. Any ideas?

fredhate
Jul 30, 2006

invalid user posted:

Ok, here's one.

I recall a monster that teleports, an older sister, a younger brother with a machine gun, and sister's boyfriend who looks something like Casey Jones who gets eaten by the monster.

The scene I remember is that the sis and boyfriend go up to their parent's room and the lil bro carrying his gun doesn't want them to go in there. They go in there and her parents and grandparents are in there, all in bed together and look like they're covered in slime/snot/whatever. She says something's disgusting about it all. Then the monster materializes and glides over to eat the screaming boyfriend.

Monster In The Closet?

RaVE
Nov 28, 2006

Alright, another asian movie:

This couple.. somehow, they're tied together by a string? I think the woman goes catatonic at some point, but the man takes her home with him, then the string forms? She keeps amusing herself with a ball on a string connected to a funnel... they live in a car? They walk. ALOT. ...Jesus, I have no idea. This is driving me crazy. Anyone have any idea?

edit: I watched this on vhs a while back... should be from late 90's.

RaVE fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Dec 6, 2006

Phillyt
Dec 2, 2006

by Tiny Fistpump
OK. I have a movie I can't seem to place but I know I've seen it. It's about a teenage girl I assume in the North West. She is "good" girl if you will but is very interested in the local music scene. After attending a few shows, she gets involved in the scene meeting people, losing her virginity, trying drugs, partying etc.

The important things of the movie however is this local rock star who very much resembles Kurt Cobain, who the main female character is very attracted to. This local rock star has a older sister who sort of takes care of him. Also, there are several other characters who are friends with the main female. One of them is a male who eventually kills himself in the end who actually is obsessed with Kurt Cobain. Another is a female who is the front woman of one of the local bands who eventually "makes it big".

Obviously these are very vague descriptions but maybe someone can be of help! Thanks.

invalid user
Nov 15, 2006

fredhate posted:

Monster In The Closet?

Nope. I'm very familiar with Monster In The Closet and it certainly isn't it... thank you though :)

I just realized I didn't put any sort of timeline in my original post... I saw this movie on tv when I was a kid, about 14-18 years ago... I'm 100% certain I did not dream it up and the movie actually exists.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

RaVE posted:

Alright, another asian movie:

This couple.. somehow, they're tied together by a string? I think the woman goes catatonic at some point, but the man takes her home with him, then the string forms? She keeps amusing herself with a ball on a string connected to a funnel... they live in a car? They walk. ALOT. ...Jesus, I have no idea. This is driving me crazy. Anyone have any idea?

edit: I watched this on vhs a while back... should be from late 90's.

Dolls

Phillyt posted:

OK. I have a movie I can't seem to place but I know I've seen it. It's about a teenage girl I assume in the North West. She is "good" girl if you will but is very interested in the local music scene. After attending a few shows, she gets involved in the scene meeting people, losing her virginity, trying drugs, partying etc.

The important things of the movie however is this local rock star who very much resembles Kurt Cobain, who the main female character is very attracted to. This local rock star has a older sister who sort of takes care of him. Also, there are several other characters who are friends with the main female. One of them is a male who eventually kills himself in the end who actually is obsessed with Kurt Cobain. Another is a female who is the front woman of one of the local bands who eventually "makes it big".

Obviously these are very vague descriptions but maybe someone can be of help! Thanks.

I haven't seen it, but could it be Last Days?

Phillyt
Dec 2, 2006

by Tiny Fistpump
It is not Last Days because this movie only mentions Cobain. And I also think he was already dead at the point in time the movie was taking place.

snipsnap
Apr 15, 2003

invalid user posted:

Ok, here's one.

Terrorvision?
http://www.badmovies.org/movies/terrorvision/<--pictures on bottom of page
With the Elvira look alike girl with snakes in her hair? Someone in the last movie thread was looking for this too I think.

snipsnap fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Dec 7, 2006

Gay Polymers
Jun 14, 2005

I hear voices in my head
They talk to me
They understand
Where are my keys?
For some reason a scene popped into my head today from a well-known movie, and I can't for the life of me remember what movie it's from.

There is a youngish character, the main character, who goes to some guy's house looking for him, and finds him passed out in bed. Upon trying to wake him, he hears him mumble something, and leaning closer, the word turns out to be "coffee." Then, the passed out guy sort of yells the word, startling the main character into pouring some coffee for him, but in a freaked out manner where he ends up spilling some of it all over the place. He gives it to the guy in the bed, and the guy drinks it, sits up, and then might light a cigarette?

I have no idea why this popped into my head this morning, but I can't get it out of my mind. What movie was it from? For some reason I have a notion that the guy yelling for coffee was Bruce Willis/Nicholas Cage/Brad Pitt? Could have it have been a scene in "Fight Club"?

snipsnap
Apr 15, 2003

Dark Gemini posted:

coffee...COFFEE!!
http://imdb.com/title/tt0110759/
PCU, gotta love Jeremy Piven's wiseass character in that movie.

snipsnap fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Dec 7, 2006

Gay Polymers
Jun 14, 2005

I hear voices in my head
They talk to me
They understand
Where are my keys?

snipsnap posted:

http://imdb.com/title/tt0110759/
PCU, gotta love Jeremy Piven's wiseass character in that movie.

YES! GODDAMMIT YES! THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!

I don't know why that wasn't coming to me, I've seen that movie seriously about a dozen times. And that one scene slipped into my brain this morning, clear as day, and I had an absolute brain meltdown.

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

I was trying to remember the name of this old 80's horror movie this morning.

It was about a giant crocodile/alligator, the one scene I seem to remember the most, is kids at a birthday party dressed up as pirates or something similar, and one of them is forced to walk the plank, which is the diving board of the backyard pool, I believe the kid was eaten by the croc at that point.

Any ideas?

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

freeranger posted:

I was trying to remember the name of this old 80's horror movie this morning.

It was about a giant crocodile/alligator, the one scene I seem to remember the most, is kids at a birthday party dressed up as pirates or something similar, and one of them is forced to walk the plank, which is the diving board of the backyard pool, I believe the kid was eaten by the croc at that point.

Any ideas?

Alligator. C'mon, you didn't think of looking that up?

POKEMAN SAM
Jul 8, 2004
Okay, so in this movie I'm trying to remember (and have been for years) there's this one guy and I think he gets recruited by an older guy (the old guy starts training him, at least) and the few parts I remember is that there is a restaurant scene where they use a serving tray to either block bullets or use it as a mirror or something (I remember the silver serving tray specifically.) I also recall the younger guy being trained to always know exactly where everyone is and what everyone is wearing everywhere he goes.

I've been looking for this movie for years, and I think I first saw it in theaters around 2001ish, but it may have been shortly before that or after it. Sorry for being vague, maybe someone can recognize my movie.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

LtSekkusu posted:

Okay, so in this movie I'm trying to remember (and have been for years) there's this one guy and I think he gets recruited by an older guy (the old guy starts training him, at least) and the few parts I remember is that there is a restaurant scene where they use a serving tray to either block bullets or use it as a mirror or something (I remember the silver serving tray specifically.) I also recall the younger guy being trained to always know exactly where everyone is and what everyone is wearing everywhere he goes.

I've been looking for this movie for years, and I think I first saw it in theaters around 2001ish, but it may have been shortly before that or after it. Sorry for being vague, maybe someone can recognize my movie.

Possibly The Recruit. I don't recall any scene with a tray, but the movie as a whole was quite forgettable.

POKEMAN SAM
Jul 8, 2004

FitFortDanga posted:

Possibly The Recruit. I don't recall any scene with a tray, but the movie as a whole was quite forgettable.

I know I saw that movie around the same time; I own that movie now because I thought that's what it was, but it wasn't. I could be leaking parts of The Recruit into my memories, though, because I know I enjoyed The Recruit.

Nique
May 18, 2006

Could it be Spy Game? It fits the premise and the year, but I don't remember any tray in that either. There was a fairly lengthy restaurant scene, so I guess the tray might have been used there.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0266987/

invalid user
Nov 15, 2006

snipsnap posted:

Terrorvision?
http://www.badmovies.org/movies/terrorvision/<--pictures on bottom of page
With the Elvira look alike girl with snakes in her hair? Someone in the last movie thread was looking for this too I think.

Hrmmmm this may well be it... I need to find it somewhere to find out for sure, but the "previously munched adults doing something perverted" definitely sounds possibly like that scene I remember. As does the comment about the pool full of KY... Man, stupid things scare us as kids.

Thanks! :)

POKEMAN SAM
Jul 8, 2004

Nique posted:

Could it be Spy Game? It fits the premise and the year, but I don't remember any tray in that either. There was a fairly lengthy restaurant scene, so I guess the tray might have been used there.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0266987/

I own this movie too, and I'm pretty sure it isn't it. Are they attacked in the restaurant scene in Spy Game? I specifically remember a sniper shooting into the restaurant in the mystery movie.

By the way, thanks for trying to help me identify the movie, both of you. :)

snipsnap
Apr 15, 2003
edit:
even my second guess was way off

snipsnap fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Dec 8, 2006

POKEMAN SAM
Jul 8, 2004

snipsnap posted:

Was it Adventures of Remo Williams?

Nope. I remember seeing the mystery movie in theaters, and I only started going to theater around 1999ish. This movie is a bit too old for that (and I read the description of this movie and it doesn't match what I remember, plus I've never heard of it.)

Nique
May 18, 2006

LtSekkusu posted:

I own this movie too, and I'm pretty sure it isn't it. Are they attacked in the restaurant scene in Spy Game? I specifically remember a sniper shooting into the restaurant in the mystery movie.

By the way, thanks for trying to help me identify the movie, both of you. :)

In xXx there's a restaurant scene with a sniper, and a silver tray is used to blind him temporarily.

I am upset I know this. :(

triumphant chordate
Nov 16, 2005

by DocEvil
Saw this like ten years ago; it's older than that.

It reminds me of Chucky. The scene I remember involves a little doll with a knife falling out of a fireplace and attacking some chick. Unfortunately that's all I remember :smith:

Is this too vague?

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

One can hardly ignore the Taoist implications of "Fuck it, Dude. Let's go bowling."

Vanity posted:

Saw this like ten years ago; it's older than that.

It reminds me of Chucky. The scene I remember involves a little doll with a knife falling out of a fireplace and attacking some chick. Unfortunately that's all I remember :smith:

Is this too vague?

Sounds like the famous killer Zulu doll from Trilogy of Terror, maybe?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0073820/

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

ClydeUmney posted:

"What an...odd figurine!"

Joey Walnuts
Dec 6, 2004

Clean up, aisle 3.

ClydeUmney posted:

Could be Puppet Master as well.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0098143/

thethuthinnang
Feb 3, 2004

cool as heck

Joey Walnuts posted:

Could be Puppet Master as well.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0098143/

I'm pretty sure this is right.

triumphant chordate
Nov 16, 2005

by DocEvil
It's Puppet Master, thanks :)

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

FitFortDanga posted:

Alligator. C'mon, you didn't think of looking that up?

Thats the one, I feel so embarrassed for not even thinking of looking for that. It wasnt until I had typed out my post I even thought of relating the movie to Alligators not Crocodiles, as I dont call them Alligators down here in Australia. :doh:

Thanks Fit :cheers:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

threeskin
Jan 2, 2006
One skin, Two skin
This one may be a made for TV movie, not too sure.

It had four kids left in their station wagon in the mall parking lot by their mother. They wait awhile and when security is after one of them they decide their mom is never coming back so the older sister starts marching them like 300 miles to their aunt's house. I know the oldest girl is named Dicey.