Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

threeskin posted:

It had four kids left in their station wagon in the mall parking lot by their mother. They wait awhile and when security is after one of them they decide their mom is never coming back so the older sister starts marching them like 300 miles to their aunt's house. I know the oldest girl is named Dicey.
You can search by character name on the IMDb. I looked up "Dicey" and found that your movie is Homecoming:

http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0116550/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

threeskin
Jan 2, 2006
One skin, Two skin

Action Jacktion posted:

You can search by character name on the IMDb. I looked up "Dicey" and found that your movie is Homecoming:

http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0116550/

I wasn't aware of that feature, thank you Mr Action Jacktion.

POKEMAN SAM
Jul 8, 2004

Nique posted:

In xXx there's a restaurant scene with a sniper, and a silver tray is used to blind him temporarily.

I am upset I know this. :(

Alright, so right now I'm pretty sure that I have mysteriously blurred together the movies xXx, Spy Game, and The Recruit. All movies that I enjoyed quite a bit. To be honest, I'm surprised that you guys were able to pick out those three movies, since I'm pretty sure that it's elements of those combined that make my mystery movie.

Sounds like the premise for a good game: mix three movies together and write a summary for it and see if people can come up with the contributing movies. :)

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
I'm not particularly eager to see it but I'm curious to see if anyone cacn ID

commercial of a movie I saw about WWII in North Africa, made a little later and in color. About Allied troops, one American featured in the commercial (think it was Belushi) and a Brit who says "reckon you..." or something. Basically bunch of Afrika Korps troops who Belushi describes as "thirsty Germans" are after their water supply.

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

One can hardly ignore the Taoist implications of "Fuck it, Dude. Let's go bowling."

Alan Smithee posted:

I'm not particularly eager to see it but I'm curious to see if anyone cacn ID

commercial of a movie I saw about WWII in North Africa, made a little later and in color. About Allied troops, one American featured in the commercial (think it was Belushi) and a Brit who says "reckon you..." or something. Basically bunch of Afrika Korps troops who Belushi describes as "thirsty Germans" are after their water supply.

The remake of Sahara, with James Belushi?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0114324/

jeff8472
Dec 28, 2000

He died from watch-in-ass disease
This one is very vague, I doubt anyone can answer it. I don't even really remember much of the movie. Its a drama set in the 30s-50s. I think it had WW2 pilots/soldiers, but most of the movie wasn't about the war. There was little to no action at all. It came out in the early 90s. I also think the title had dogs or birds in the title. War dogs, or fighting eagles. Something along those lines.

Help me Obi Wan Kenobi.

LOOK I AM A TURTLE
May 22, 2003

"I'm actually a tortoise."
Grimey Drawer
I'm not sure why I even want to find out what this movie is, but here goes:

It's a typical "comical switcheroo" type movie, where two boys -- one black underachiever and one white overachiever -- for a no doubt idiotically contrived reason (can't remember how, exactly) end up having their school applications mistaken for each other, or something like that. Thusly, the nerdy white guy has to go to a predominantly black, inner-city school and the cool black guy is sent to a prestigious private school. Presumably, comedy ensues. Needless to say, the lives of the black kid and the white kid end up intersecting in some way, and at the end the white guy has gotten a lot less nerdy and more cool, while the black guy has gotten less anti-intellectual and has learned to appreciate the value of hard work and blah blah blah. I'm sure you could've figured out exactly how the movie would play out just by hearing the premise. One particular sequence, in which the white boy inquires into the grammatical nuances of African-American Vernacular, specifically the phrase "I be flyin'," stands out in my mind. Also, near the end there's some sort of car chase. Any takers?

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

LOOK I AM A TURTLE posted:

It's a typical "comical switcheroo" type movie, where two boys -- one black underachiever and one white overachiever -- for a no doubt idiotically contrived reason (can't remember how, exactly) end up having their school applications mistaken for each other, or something like that. Thusly, the nerdy white guy has to go to a predominantly black, inner-city school and the cool black guy is sent to a prestigious private school. Presumably, comedy ensues. Needless to say, the lives of the black kid and the white kid end up intersecting in some way, and at the end the white guy has gotten a lot less nerdy and more cool, while the black guy has gotten less anti-intellectual and has learned to appreciate the value of hard work and blah blah blah. I'm sure you could've figured out exactly how the movie would play out just by hearing the premise. One particular sequence, in which the white boy inquires into the grammatical nuances of African-American Vernacular, specifically the phrase "I be flyin'," stands out in my mind. Also, near the end there's some sort of car chase. Any takers?

When did you see this? I know it's not Underclassman, so just quote this and say "It's not Underclassman," or else a million people will say it is.

LOOK I AM A TURTLE
May 22, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Inspector Hound posted:

When did you see this? I know it's not Underclassman, so just quote this and say "It's not Underclassman," or else a million people will say it is.

It's not Underclassman. I saw it maybe two or three years ago. It may have been a TV movie and I really can't say when it might've been made beyond "sometime in the last 20 years".

baronanglish
Apr 17, 2004

LOOK I AM A TURTLE posted:

This sounds a lot like Class Act (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0103978/), though neither Kid nor Play is white and they both go to the same school, albeit different wings of it (the honors section is really ritzy). Kid (the smart one in the film) is biracial, though, and a lot paler than Play, so this may be the movie you're thinking of.

baronanglish fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Dec 10, 2006

LOOK I AM A TURTLE
May 22, 2003

Grimey Drawer

baronanglish posted:

This sounds a lot like Class Act (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0103978/), though neither Kid nor Play is white and they both go to the same school, albeit different wings of it (the honors section is really ritzy). Kid (the smart one in the film) is biracial, though, and a lot paler than Play, so this may be the movie you're thinking of.

Ah yes, that's it. Guess my memory was a bit rusty. Thanks.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
There was a trailer for a movie posted a couple months ago. I believe it was a foreign movie set in modern day (possibly the future, though). It had a similar digital polish that Sin City and 300 have, but I don't think it was based on a comic. I'm also pretty sure it was either mostly or entirely in black and white.

Can anyone help me figure it out? I can't even begin to search for it. I'm checking out Apple's trailers right now, but I don't even have a hint of what the title is or if it's even still up.

Thanks in advance.

Jamesman fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Dec 11, 2006

zombieman
Aug 8, 2003

That's one happy fucking egg!

Jamesman posted:

There was a trailer for a movie posted a couple months ago. I believe it was a foreign movie set in modern day (possibly the future, though). It had a similar digital polish that Sin City and 300 have, but I don't think it was based on a comic.

Can anyone help me figure it out? I can't even begin to search for it. I'm checking out Apple's trailers right now, but I don't even have a hint of what the title is or if it's even still up.

Thanks in advance.

Renaissance:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0386741/

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

zombieman posted:

Renaissance:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0386741/

Yes yes. Thank you very much.

rararasputin
Apr 27, 2006
It was a movie from my childhood - (late 80s early 90s),
So, there was a little girl whose grandma was going to go to a nursing home, but she didn't want her to go... and then a doll she had came to life and took her through the mirror where a little boy doll and then went on a mission to find a witch who had the secret to eternal youth or something of the sort. The witch had strawberries that she ate to give her youth. When the girl tried to get the strawberries back through the mirror to her world, she tripped on the mirror and they fell and dissapeared. And in the end her grandmother didn't have to go to a nursing home.

rararasputin
Apr 27, 2006
alright... I have another one:
another form the early 90s or so
(Not sure if it was actually japanese, but kind of looked like anime) A movie about a guy who shrinks and goes into a greenhouse, and he meets a fairie that lives in the plants, and they meet this black, evil thing that's trying to take over and kill all the fairies that live there... and the fairie ends up dying in the end and the guy comes back to regular size and takes care of the greenhouse.

Everyone suggests ferngully, but that's not it!

thanks for the help....

IGotDConch
May 16, 2006

Welcome to the Free City of Newark

rararasputin posted:

It was a movie from my childhood - (late 80s early 90s),
So, there was a little girl whose grandma was going to go to a nursing home, but she didn't want her to go... and then a doll she had came to life and took her through the mirror where a little boy doll and then went on a mission to find a witch who had the secret to eternal youth or something of the sort. The witch had strawberries that she ate to give her youth. When the girl tried to get the strawberries back through the mirror to her world, she tripped on the mirror and they fell and dissapeared. And in the end her grandmother didn't have to go to a nursing home.

That's "The Hugga Bunch" again I think. That one seems to have really stuck with a lot of people.

rararasputin
Apr 27, 2006

IGotDConch posted:

That's "The Hugga Bunch" again I think. That one seems to have really stuck with a lot of people.

thanks! (and sorry for the repeat!)

Help the Hogs!
Jul 26, 2000

Generation K/9
What's the movie (black and white, possibly 1950s) that ends with a couple on a ship moving away from a life preserver only to reveal that they're on the Titanic?

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

So I was watching Emmanuelle 2000: Emmanuelle in Paradise, and the director spiced up some boring sex scenes with some black and white shots from an old movie that takes place in Arabia. I don't recognize where they are from, but hopefully someone here knows: (click for larger)

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Tars Tarkas posted:

So I was watching Emmanuelle 2000: Emmanuelle in Paradise, and the director spiced up some boring sex scenes with some black and white shots from an old movie that takes place in Arabia. I don't recognize where they are from, but hopefully someone here knows: (click for larger)

Could be The 7th Voyage of Sinbad perhaps? It's an old school Ray Harryheusen stop motion piece

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

No, this one is real old school, silent film era (or just after) as the leads had the extra makeup of the period (and the camera speed was consistant with early handcrankers.) The giant bat is on a string so can't be anything Harryhausen. I don't know of any films like that from that era, though.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Tars Tarkas posted:

No, this one is real old school, silent film era (or just after) as the leads had the extra makeup of the period (and the camera speed was consistant with early handcrankers.) The giant bat is on a string so can't be anything Harryhausen. I don't know of any films like that from that era, though.

My memory is a little fuzzy, but it might be Raoul Walsh's Thief of Bagdad. That certainly looks like Douglas Fairbanks in the first shot, and I'm pretty sure there's a giant bat.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

I think you are right. I'll be snagging the DVD of Thief of Baghdad regardless, as the descriptions of the film make it sound wonderful. Thanks!

Elohssa Gib
Aug 30, 2006

Easily Amused
I figure that since someone figured out Renaissance from about three sentences, I post some more info I came into through talking to the friend I mentioned in the first thread who had seen part of it.

quote:

This is the important one
I saw this in the early to mid 90s, Scientist creates robot that looks exactly like a human, robot either goes haywire or misinterperets its orders and starts killing people. The scientist dies/get killed when the robot steps on his hands when he is hanging over some machinery. A group of people get stuck in the building with the robot and it starts killing them one at a time. The people decide to make sure no one is a robot by cutting everyones fingers to make sure they bleed. The fat guy's finger gets infected and the robot rips it off. The girl hero goes into a room and sees the latina girl with her head blown off and a note on her saying "There's two" apparently the girl robot was weaker because she could bleed. Eventually only the guy and girl 'heroes' are left and they get out. But the robot comes after them and they get control of this giant robot that rips the bad robot in half but the bad robot gets on top of the hood of the truck they're leaving in and they shoot it or something and get away.
This movie has been shown on the Sci-Fi channel.

Okay, apparently the test failed because the robot's hydraulic fluid was red. The fat guy's arm gets infected because he got cut after the robot and the fluid reacted to the blood. Finally the fat guy got his arm ripped off, not just his finger.

Please and thank you.

limpster
Jan 28, 2002

The custom title is literal and will be posted just as you type it unless changes are deemed necessary.
Not mine but for a friend.

It's about a French girl who moves from Paris to New York (or vice-versa) in order to find her dad or something, and throughout the film she looks totally French (Skirts / Beret...) I think she also cries a fair bit. There's a minature Statue of Liberty, or Eiffel Tower, which she takes over with her and near the end the base breaks open and clues about her lost love appear.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

I remember watching a movie during my childhood that scared the poo poo out of me, but it wasn't particularly horrific or anything, I was just young. Some little kid's parents, or maybe just his father, get murdered and he is kidnapped by the two perpetrators. One is mostly calm and one is a total psycho, both male. The psycho ends up having his head crushed in an oil well or something, and the other one gets shot by the police, maybe at an intersection. The flick was either from the '70s or '80s. Can't remember anything else.

Help?

Elohssa Gib
Aug 30, 2006

Easily Amused
Well I think I found the movie I was looking for earlier so I'll just ask about a scene from a movie that just popped in my head.

Basically this guy is pulled over and there are a ton of cops pointing guns at him and he reaches into his coat and gets shot to death and it reveals he was just reaching for a lighter, then it goes back to the beginning of the same scene and you realize that what you just saw was him imagining doing that, also there might be one of these in it.

Pweller
Jan 25, 2006

Whatever whateva.
I came across this photo and it seems really familiar from somewhere,

A 90's horror movie?

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Pweller posted:

I came across this photo and it seems really familiar from somewhere,

A 90's horror movie?
The 1970s version of Invasion of the Body Snatchers:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=lTfFwXcP-xQ

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Elohssa Gib posted:

Well I think I found the movie I was looking for earlier so I'll just ask about a scene from a movie that just popped in my head.

Basically this guy is pulled over and there are a ton of cops pointing guns at him and he reaches into his coat and gets shot to death and it reveals he was just reaching for a lighter, then it goes back to the beginning of the same scene and you realize that what you just saw was him imagining doing that, also there might be one of these in it.

I'm pretty sure that's The Chase starring Charlie Sheen.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Action Jacktion posted:

Oh god, thank you. It was driving me nuts, too.

PonchtheJedi
Feb 20, 2004

Still got some work to do...
Here is one I saw a long, long time ago on TV. I've looked in the thread, didn't see anybody requesting this, but I could be mistaken.

Movie starts with a plane or boat crash on a deserted island. The survivors are milling around, and I believe they climb a mountain to see how big the island is, only to see that it stretches out further than they can see. They are attacked, either by evil humanoids or monsters or dinosaurs or something, and this guy shows up with this little device. He uses it like a weapon, and defeats the attackers. The survivors are greatful, and one of them remarks "That's a nice little weapon you have there." The guy with the device says "Some weapon...I don't even know if I have the strength to use it again." He takes them somewhere, and they get involved with a plot that has to do with the evil guys on the island, who I believe are in control. The guy with the device is or becomes a rebel against them. The movie had alot of weirdness in it, including strange creatures and machinery and stuff. I know this is a vague description, but I'd like to know what this movie was.

Pweller
Jan 25, 2006

Whatever whateva.

Action Jacktion posted:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=lTfFwXcP-xQ

Right on.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Been curious about a movie I saw on tv, only the ending. From what I remember our badass anti-hero (might've been wearing black, leather, or both) is holding a bad guy hostage (I remember him being either mid-eastern or latinoish in complexion, think Borat). Baddie has a grenade in his mouth, and cops are holding a standoff. So anti-hero yanks the pin and takes off, while baddie doesn't wtf to do so kinda runs around like a headless chicken. Eventually he blows up, taking the top half of his body off. Anti-hero then plays the harmonica.

zombieman
Aug 8, 2003

Alan Smithee posted:

Been curious about a movie I saw on tv, only the ending. From what I remember our badass anti-hero (might've been wearing black, leather, or both) is holding a bad guy hostage (I remember him being either mid-eastern or latinoish in complexion, think Borat). Baddie has a grenade in his mouth, and cops are holding a standoff. So anti-hero yanks the pin and takes off, while baddie doesn't wtf to do so kinda runs around like a headless chicken. Eventually he blows up, taking the top half of his body off. Anti-hero then plays the harmonica.

Wanted: Dead or Alive, starring Rutger Hauer and Gene Simmons from Kiss.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0094293/

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

zombieman posted:

Wanted: Dead or Alive, starring Rutger Hauer and Gene Simmons from Kiss.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0094293/

Geeze, do you guys who lived in the 80s just remember these things? I suppose my day will come soon enough :(

zombieman
Aug 8, 2003

Alan Smithee posted:

Geeze, do you guys who lived in the 80s just remember these things? I suppose my day will come soon enough :(

Actually, I ony rewatched it the other day, the first time in years. It was a terrible letdown. :(

Pweller
Jan 25, 2006

Whatever whateva.
Another still to ID,

The bike looks like it's from the teens (?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Pweller posted:

Another still to ID,

The bike looks like it's from the teens (?)

My initial reaction was Sherlock Jr. starring Buster Keaton but then again I'm not sure (actually don't think it is). Could be slapstick though