Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dragonrah
Aug 22, 2003

J.C. Bearington, III
Ok, I'm gonna say apolgize in advanced because my discription is going to be pretty vague.

The movie would have came out 2-3 years ago and it was about this cop, who I thought was Gene Hackman or at least a simmilarly seasoned veteran actor, that had retired from the force but still continued to work on this old case. He possibly made a vow to solve it.

Again, I'm sorry for the vagueness and I'm not really expecting anyone to really know what I'm talking about, but it is driving me nuts and I figured it was worth a shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Dragonrah posted:

Ok, I'm gonna say apolgize in advanced because my discription is going to be pretty vague.

The movie would have came out 2-3 years ago and it was about this cop, who I thought was Gene Hackman or at least a simmilarly seasoned veteran actor, that had retired from the force but still continued to work on this old case. He possibly made a vow to solve it.

Again, I'm sorry for the vagueness and I'm not really expecting anyone to really know what I'm talking about, but it is driving me nuts and I figured it was worth a shot.

The Pledge, with Jack Nicholson?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Question about Family Guy references, in one episode Peter talks about losing his virginity, and there's a reference to Sixteen Candles (Jake Ryan) but I was wondering if the second part, where he gets raped and goes "not like this!" is a reference to something else.

Another reference, was the latest episode, when Meg is obsessed with Brian and sits in her room turning the light on and off (I saw it in the cartoon Hey Arnold too) and was wondering what that was from.

Scrode
Mar 6, 2002

It's about damn time...

Alan Smithee posted:

Another reference, was the latest episode, when Meg is obsessed with Brian and sits in her room turning the light on and off (I saw it in the cartoon Hey Arnold too) and was wondering what that was from.

There's a scene in Fatal Attraction that's very similar, I'm sure that's what they were going for.

Rev4n
Sep 27, 2006

Right, a plan; let me put on my slightly larger glasses.
Alright guys, here's one I've been aching to figure out. (I think it was) two summers ago, I borrowed some movie from the library on DVD. I THINK it had been made in '03, but I could very well be wrong. It took place/was made somewhere in the UK, and the plot consisted roughly of two brothers' father being in jail for dealing drugs, so they find his stash at home and start selling it themselves. It was in a dialect that was almost unintelligible to my American ears, and I had to watch it with subtitles. It was a drama, and I forgot how it ends. Does any of that sound remotely familiar? I also feel like the box and/or movie had kind of a blue motif. But I might be wrong.

EDIT:
Oh, and at one point the older brother goes outside to sell some drugs and he gets beaten up and his stuff stolen.

Stryder
Oct 3, 2002

Elohssa Gib posted:

3. This is the important one
I saw this in the early to mid 90s, Scientist creates robot that looks exactly like a human, robot either goes haywire or misinterperets its orders and starts killing people. The scientist dies/get killed when the robot steps on his hands when he is hanging over some machinery. A group of people get stuck in the building with the robot and it starts killing them one at a time. The people decide to make sure no one is a robot by cutting everyones fingers to make sure they bleed. The fat guy's finger gets infected and the robot rips it off. The girl hero goes into a room and sees the latina girl with her head blown off and a note on her saying "There's two" apparently the girl robot was weaker because she could bleed. Eventually only the guy and girl 'heroes' are left and they get out. But the robot comes after them and they get control of this giant robot that rips the bad robot in half but the bad robot gets on top of the hood of the truck they're leaving in and they shoot it or something and get away.
This movie has been shown on the Sci-Fi channel.

That would be Crash and Burn http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0099313/ from our good friends at Full Moon Entertainment.

JamesieAB
Nov 5, 2005

JamesieAB posted:

I remember seeing what appeared to be an American 50s/60shome movie clip of a large fireball travelling horizontally with a great deal of smoke billowing out of it. The setting was in the desert and there were a number of cars pulled over to the side of the road and people standing by them watching the fireball speed past.

I am not sure if this was a genuine home movie or some fx for a film or documentary.

Bump.

I should add that this was filmed from the pov of the people at the side of the road and IIRC it was moving left to right beyond and above a mesa or mountains in the distance. It probably is FX as I am sure from what I remember it would be a well known piece of footage if it was real.

invalid user
Nov 15, 2006

Shit's expensive, bro. Plus, fuck Lurdiak.
This one definitely exists.

It was one of those typical 80s-early 90s films where the new kid's in town and has to deal with the gang of douchebags who are skiers/parachuters/dancers/calligraphers/professional masturbators all in order to impress the girl of his dreams who is also being constantly pursued by the lead douche.

Anyways, this one was about roller blading. The final scene was a huge competition of super dangerous downhill racing through suburbia. People were hit by cars. There were guys who were known only by the bizarre way in which they skated. One guy for instance would only skate with his arms behind his back and barely leaning forward. Another would form a circle with his arms in front of his chest allowing the air to zoom through his chest and arms... that part made no sense to me, I always thought he'd have more drag that way... anyways the good guys win it.

What the hell is this movie?

invalid user fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Dec 19, 2006

Tuco
Jul 24, 2006

I look good too!
A few summers ago a friend and I were trying to recover from July 4th activities by doing nothing but watching crap on TV waiting for our hangovers to go away.

We came upon the worst movie either of us have ever seen, it was so bad we could not turn away. It was so bad, we consider it the funniest movie we have ever seen.

The plot: A groups of teenagers (6 or so) move from the Midwest to Manhattan to become professional dancers. The can only afford a small crappy apartment. Cue montage 1: The group puts on some tunes, dances, and proceed to fix up the apartment to more livable standards.

To make some money they begin dance as street performers and get people to put spare change into their hats.

They eventually go out for an evening’s entertainment at some new hot underground club. In the club they are confronted by a street gang. This is not your typical gang as they have no guns, no knives, no bike chains, or weapons of any sort. Their means of intimidation are urban street and break dancing.

A dance fight ensues and though our team of intrepid Midwesterners gives it their all, the street gang shows them up makes fools out of them in front of all the club goers.

The group is distraught, and infighting nearly tears them apart and almost sends them packing back to Iowa (or where ever they were from)

The group rebounds, and decided they are too good of friends to split up. They vow to practice and try harder, but most of all; learn some new moves. Cue montage 2: The group goes from to club to club trying to pick a new hip repertoire of moves. Learn, practice, learn, and practice.

The group finally decides they are ready and head back to the original club. The street gang is there and rightfully cocky after handing our hicks a thorough beating the first time around. However, all the practice and new moves payoff as the street gang is defeated in final scene, another dance off. Our heroes earned their respect and a right to stay in Manhattan.

I have been searching for years for the title and a copy (no, I’m not asking for files) of this movie and have made a number of requests on places like craigslist. Once I find the title I’d really like to buy this on VHS or DVD if possible. Please end my suffering and tell me the name of this movie.

I am 99.9% sure this is not Breakin’ And is was definitely from the 80’s

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Tuco posted:

A few summers ago a friend and I were trying to recover from July 4th activities by doing nothing but watching crap on TV waiting for our hangovers to go away.

We came upon the worst movie either of us have ever seen, it was so bad we could not turn away. It was so bad, we consider it the funniest movie we have ever seen.

The plot: A groups of teenagers (6 or so) move from the Midwest to Manhattan to become professional dancers. The can only afford a small crappy apartment. Cue montage 1: The group puts on some tunes, dances, and proceed to fix up the apartment to more livable standards.

To make some money they begin dance as street performers and get people to put spare change into their hats.

They eventually go out for an evening’s entertainment at some new hot underground club. In the club they are confronted by a street gang. This is not your typical gang as they have no guns, no knives, no bike chains, or weapons of any sort. Their means of intimidation are urban street and break dancing.

A dance fight ensues and though our team of intrepid Midwesterners gives it their all, the street gang shows them up makes fools out of them in front of all the club goers.

The group is distraught, and infighting nearly tears them apart and almost sends them packing back to Iowa (or where ever they were from)

The group rebounds, and decided they are too good of friends to split up. They vow to practice and try harder, but most of all; learn some new moves. Cue montage 2: The group goes from to club to club trying to pick a new hip repertoire of moves. Learn, practice, learn, and practice.

The group finally decides they are ready and head back to the original club. The street gang is there and rightfully cocky after handing our hicks a thorough beating the first time around. However, all the practice and new moves payoff as the street gang is defeated in final scene, another dance off. Our heroes earned their respect and a right to stay in Manhattan.

I have been searching for years for the title and a copy (no, I’m not asking for files) of this movie and have made a number of requests on places like craigslist. Once I find the title I’d really like to buy this on VHS or DVD if possible. Please end my suffering and tell me the name of this movie.

I am 99.9% sure this is not Breakin’ And is was definitely from the 80’s

iMDB Power Search
Country of Origin: USA
Genre: Musical
Year: 1983-1987

Is this it? Fast Forward

Tuco
Jul 24, 2006

I look good too!

FitFortDanga posted:

iMDB Power Search
Country of Origin: USA
Genre: Musical
Year: 1983-1987

Is this it? Fast Forward

I can't tell. The plot sounds right, but I could have sworn most of the cast was white, which made it all the more funny, and goddamn it if I'm not having the hardest time believing the worst movie I have ever scene was directed by Sidney Poitier with a sound track by Quincy Jones. I’ve just done Google and Yahoo searches and haven’t been able o come up with anything more definitive to let me know if this is the movie or not.
I’ve tried looking for clips of the movie on You Tube to be sure, but there are none.

This is worse than not having a clue at all.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Tuco posted:

I can't tell. The plot sounds right, but I could have sworn most of the cast was white, which made it all the more funny, and goddamn it if I'm not having the hardest time believing the worst movie I have ever scene was directed by Sidney Poitier with a sound track by Quincy Jones. I’ve just done Google and Yahoo searches and haven’t been able o come up with anything more definitive to let me know if this is the movie or not.
I’ve tried looking for clips of the movie on You Tube to be sure, but there are none.

This is worse than not having a clue at all.

What about this user comment?

quote:

This is a movie about a bunch of kids from Sandusky, Ohio who all move to NY to pursue their dream of becoming famous dancers. They wind up finding out the hard way that living in the Big Apple is both dangerous and expensive! To make money as well as hone their dance skills, they end up dancing on the streets of NY and developing a fan base so that they can also book gigs. During this time, another group of dancers from the city, led by a street dancer named Caesar, who have somewhat made a name for themselves don't really appreciate the new kids on the block taking over their turf. They wind up having a dance-off at a popular club called the Zoo in NY, only to have their hats handed to them and sending them back to the drawing board.

In hopes of winning a huge dance competition where they could receive national attention, they realize they still have a lot of work to do. They also need new moves since it appears, all of their old moves are outdated. They hit every club in the city, studying and practicing until they are ready for the competition - and a final showdown with Caesar's boys at the infamous club, "The Zoo".

This movie is filled with incredible dance scenes, great music and it is a true coming-of-age film that follows the trials of trying to "make it" in whatever you do. They have to break a few rules, cut some corners and dodge some fights, but in the end, the hard work pays off.

Tuco
Jul 24, 2006

I look good too!

FitFortDanga posted:

What about this user comment?

Yes I read that and it sounds spot on but Sidney Poitier, what the Christ??? My brain won’t accept it.

This is most likely the movie and I appreciate your help

By the way, this statement

IMDB poster posted:

This movie is filled with incredible dance scenes, great music and it is a true coming-of-age film that follows the trials of trying to "make it" in whatever you do.

is a loving blatant and dirty lie.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Tuco posted:

Yes I read that and it sounds spot on but Sidney Poitier, what the Christ??? My brain won’t accept it.

Poitier isn't known for his directing. Note that he also directed Ghost Dad.

Frankly, I don't think he's that great of an actor either.

El Graplurado
Mar 24, 2004
I do backflips when you're not looking.

invalid user posted:

This one definitely exists.

It was one of those typical 80s-early 90s films where the new kid's in town and has to deal with the gang of douchebags who are skiers/parachuters/dancers/calligraphers/professional masturbators all in order to impress the girl of his dreams who is also being constantly pursued by the lead douche.

Anyways, this one was about roller blading. The final scene was a huge competition of super dangerous downhill racing through suburbia. People were hit by cars. There were guys who were known only by the bizarre way in which they skated. One guy for instance would only skate with his arms behind his back and barely leaning forward. Another would form a circle with his arms in front of his chest allowing the air to zoom through his chest and arms... that part made no sense to me, I always thought he'd have more drag that way... anyways the good guys win it.

What the hell is this movie?

Airborne is the only rollerbladesploitation movie i know. Could this be it?

wei1
Jun 24, 2003

gay for sufjan stevens.
A few years ago I saw an old movie on cable from the 70s or 80s about some teenaged kids who were raging against the machine. near the end of the movie they trashed a school and 3 (or 2) of them went off and slept together in a barn. then they were all carted off on a school bus to prison i think. does anyone know what i saw? thanks!

El Graplurado
Mar 24, 2004
I do backflips when you're not looking.

wei1 posted:

A few years ago I saw an old movie on cable from the 70s or 80s about some teenaged kids who were raging against the machine. near the end of the movie they trashed a school and 3 (or 2) of them went off and slept together in a barn. then they were all carted off on a school bus to prison i think. does anyone know what i saw? thanks!

Over The Edge

Elohssa Gib
Aug 30, 2006

Easily Amused

Inspector Hound posted:

I'm pretty sure that's The Chase starring Charlie Sheen.

Thanks that sounds right

Stryder posted:

That would be Crash and Burn http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0099313/ from our good friends at Full Moon Entertainment.

Yeah I had found it by reading almost every review for movies with evil robots on iMDB but it is nice to have confirmation. Thanks

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

SplitSoul posted:

I remember watching a movie during my childhood that scared the poo poo out of me, but it wasn't particularly horrific or anything, I was just young. Some little kid's parents, or maybe just his father, get murdered and he is kidnapped by the two perpetrators. One is mostly calm and one is a total psycho, both male. The psycho ends up having his head crushed in an oil well or something, and the other one gets shot by the police, maybe at an intersection. The flick was either from the '70s or '80s. Can't remember anything else.

Help?

Anybody?

invalid user
Nov 15, 2006

Shit's expensive, bro. Plus, fuck Lurdiak.

El Graplurado posted:

Airborne is the only rollerbladesploitation movie i know. Could this be it?

I was unsure until I read the description and noted the final area was called "The Devil's Backbone"

That is indeed it.

Thank you!

TipsyMc
Sep 5, 2004

I visited BYOB and all I got was this lousy avatar
I believe this was an 1980's teen sex comedy...

Group of guys are in a car lighting their farts..I think they called themselves the blue flame club. Also I think a nerdy kid lights his rear end on fire trying to do it.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

I recall seeing a reference to a movie on tv about a boy who's a clone of hitler and they try to make him good or something. I remember it being Brazil but I just saw Brazil and know it can't possibly be it

IGotDConch
May 16, 2006

Welcome to the Free City of Newark

Alan Smithee posted:

I recall seeing a reference to a movie on tv about a boy who's a clone of hitler and they try to make him good or something. I remember it being Brazil but I just saw Brazil and know it can't possibly be it

The Boys from Brazil :)

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

IGotDConch posted:

The Boys from Brazil :)

ah so that's why. I was like "well I guess Price was sort of a like a young hitler...no, no that doesn't work at all"

I remember a dude on CNN, complete TOOLBAG who was taking the "for" side of cloning saying, "we need at least 3 Martin Luther Kings" and "sure cloning can be used for harm but just like helicopters have its uses as well as killing people" I've never wanted to smack a bitch more in my life

have you seen it? do any of the hitlers actually turn out good?

IGotDConch
May 16, 2006

Welcome to the Free City of Newark
I haven't actually seen it, but I'm pretty sure the main character is a normal kid who grows up just fine in the U.S. until he finds out he's a hitlerclone one day.

Internet Gentleman
Mar 17, 2006

I'm so happy to be here.

SplitSoul posted:

I remember watching a movie during my childhood that scared the poo poo out of me, but it wasn't particularly horrific or anything, I was just young. Some little kid's parents, or maybe just his father, get murdered and he is kidnapped by the two perpetrators. One is mostly calm and one is a total psycho, both male. The psycho ends up having his head crushed in an oil well or something, and the other one gets shot by the police, maybe at an intersection. The flick was either from the '70s or '80s.

Cohen and Tate http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0097074/

And in The Boys From Brazil the old Nazis are trying to make a new Hitler by having the new clones grow up in similar situations as young Hitler did.

Mst3kmann
Aug 8, 2005

FOREST WHITAKER EYE

JamesieAB posted:

Bump.

I should add that this was filmed from the pov of the people at the side of the road and IIRC it was moving left to right beyond and above a mesa or mountains in the distance. It probably is FX as I am sure from what I remember it would be a well known piece of footage if it was real.

This sounds like a scene from Mars Attacks! where a herd of cows is on fire and running down a road with people gawking at it. It was shot to look like a cheesy 50's sci-fi movie, so this might be it.

Quarterly Prophet
Nov 9, 2005

by angerbeet
Super vague, not really expecting an answer, but it's worth a shot.

I only saw a preview for it, and it was last year, sometime in the spring/late winter. It looked like it was taking place in England, something about crime. I think it might have been made by some of the people who did Layer Cake. I remember a shot in the preview of someone going up a glass elevator on the corner of a building, taken from the outside. :shobon:

Long shot at best, but if anyone could figure it out, it's you guys.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Quarterly Prophet posted:

I only saw a preview for it, and it was last year, sometime in the spring/late winter. It looked like it was taking place in England, something about crime. I think it might have been made by some of the people who did Layer Cake. I remember a shot in the preview of someone going up a glass elevator on the corner of a building, taken from the outside. :shobon:

any idea who the actors were? what was the character doing/look like?

Internet Gentleman posted:

And in The Boys From Brazil the old Nazis are trying to make a new Hitler by having the new clones grow up in similar situations as young Hitler did.
Err, like fighting in a losing war leading to economic instability in his country and being a failed painter?

Alan Smithee fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Dec 26, 2006

Quarterly Prophet
Nov 9, 2005

by angerbeet

Alan Smithee posted:

any idea who the actors were? what was the character doing/look like?

:shobon: I couldn't say. I think he was delivering a briefcase full of money.

I just remember seeing the preview and thinking, "I can't wait to see that when it comes out and hits theaters," and I never heard about it again. The same thing happened with Kinky Boots. I saw the preview for it once or twice, but it never came out to a theater near me and I forgot about it.

At this point, I'm half convinced I made up the entire thing in my head, but I swear I saw it before watching Slevin one weekend.

Mst3kmann
Aug 8, 2005

FOREST WHITAKER EYE

Was it in black and white? This sounds similar to the beginning of the Casino Royale trailer, although that might be too recent.

Quarterly Prophet
Nov 9, 2005

by angerbeet

Mst3kmann posted:

Was it in black and white? This sounds similar to the beginning of the Casino Royale trailer, although that might be too recent.

No, I would have known if it was Bond. v:)v

I wouldn't want anyone spending more than 10 seconds thinking about this.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Internet Gentleman posted:

Cohen and Tate http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0097074/

Hot drat. Thanks!

Internet Gentleman
Mar 17, 2006

I'm so happy to be here.

Alan Smithee posted:

Err, like fighting in a losing war leading to economic instability in his country and being a failed painter?

I should have said childhood. Son of a minor official and all that.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

No, I would have known if it was Bond. v:)v

I wouldn't want anyone spending more than 10 seconds thinking about this.

Is it Revolver? I think that came after Layer Cake if I'm not mistaken

Senor Bambos
Aug 6, 2004
I've been trying to look up this really awesome-looking Indian movie lately. I'd say it was made sometime in the '70s or '80s and stars one of the bigger Bollywood actors. If I recall correctly, he's either still doing films today or dead. The plot revolves around a big crime boss dying, and a lookalike (possibly his brother) planted by a cop replacing him. This lone cop is pretty much the only one who knows he's a plant. Sometime during the movie, the cop is killed and the lookalike finds himself in deep poo poo.

Usually I wouldn't bother asking people for help finding Bollywood stuff, but this movie seemed to have quite a following in the GBS thread that mentioned it (which I am also unable to find).

edit: I'm also eighty-percent sure it was remade sometime in the last ten or fifteen years.

edit2: Found it by sheer coincidence on Wikipedia. It's Don, which was actually remade this very year.

Senor Bambos fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Dec 29, 2006

TLJRyan
Dec 25, 2006

by Lowtax
There was this really intriguing movie a teacher was talking about, but he couldn't remember the name.

There was this dad and he had two sons. One day the dad is like "we have to kill these demons." And they go around town and kill these people who the dad says are demons.

There was another movie too where I only caught the first 30 minutes or so.

It was like a documentary, except there was no documentarian voice over. The first scene was of these dogs killing each other. It was brutal. Then the camera just watching these people in this city do their thing. If I remember correctly there's a funeral, there's a really nasty river... man, I hope someone can identify this movie for me.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

TLJRyan posted:

There was this really intriguing movie a teacher was talking about, but he couldn't remember the name.

There was this dad and he had two sons. One day the dad is like "we have to kill these demons." And they go around town and kill these people who the dad says are demons.

This one is Frailty, directed by Bill Paxton and starring Bill Paxton and Matthew McConaughey.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0264616/

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

TLJRyan posted:

There was another movie too where I only caught the first 30 minutes or so.

It was like a documentary, except there was no documentarian voice over. The first scene was of these dogs killing each other. It was brutal. Then the camera just watching these people in this city do their thing. If I remember correctly there's a funeral, there's a really nasty river... man, I hope someone can identify this movie for me.

Amores Perros?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I remember this movie starring Richard Pryor where he got paid to hang out with a snobby rich kid. What was it?