Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Light Gun Man posted:

hahahah hell yeah. he didn't even scream or anything, just accepts it.

I feel like that scene was spoofed in another movie. Maybe one of the Austin Powers movies?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

LadyPictureShow posted:

On that front, I remember telling my brother about The Terror and brought up how great Jared Harris was.

"Oh him? He was in Resident Evil Apocalypse!"

That was the moment I learned that he was in absolutely everything forever.

For me he was one of the villains from Fringe, and then he was everywhere.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I feel like that scene was spoofed in another movie. Maybe one of the Austin Powers movies?

Yes. Austin is driving a steamroller towards a henchman who just stands (and I think screams) until he’s run over, instead of running away.

https://youtu.be/l4UFQWKjy_I

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Remember when Jared Harris was in Lost in Space and they dubbed his voice lol.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Remember when Jared Harris was in Lost in Space and they dubbed his voice lol.

I rewatched it like a year ago and almost went insane when I got to that part

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Jared Harris, along with literally everyone else involved, is so great in Chernobyl. Which makes it all the harder to watch. :negative:

DearSirXNORMadam
Aug 1, 2009
Well, an hour ago I was 95% sure this was a movie, but having read through the entire IMDB list of things tagged "sleep" now I'm only 75% sure this is a movie:

Premise is a guy is being experimented on by some scientists in a lab, where they train him to dream lucidly but also communicate with them via a phone that appears in his dreams. Aaaand that's all I got go to go on. Pretty sure it was mid-to-late 2000s.

Sorry it's not much to go on :(

FWIW I'm pretty sure that this XKCD strip is some kind of obnoxious reference to it, which heartens my hope that I didn't hallucinate the whole thing:

https://xkcd.com/269/

DearSirXNORMadam fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Nov 15, 2019

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

That's more than a lot of posts in this thread!

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

Mirconium posted:

Well, an hour ago I was 95% sure this was a movie, but having read through the entire IMDB list of things tagged "sleep" now I'm only 75% sure this is a movie:

Premise is a guy is being experimented on by some scientists in a lab, where they train him to dream lucidly but also communicate with them via a phone that appears in his dreams. Aaaand that's all I got go to go on. Pretty sure it was mid-to-late 2000s.

FWIW I'm pretty sure that this XKCD strip is some kind of obnoxious reference to it, which heartens my hope that I didn't hallucinate the whole thing:

A skewed reimagining of The Lawnmower Man?

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Mirconium posted:

This extremely short lived tv show Sleepwalkers? https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0118464/?ref_=kw_li_tt

DearSirXNORMadam
Aug 1, 2009

Pablo Nergigante posted:

This extremely short lived tv show Sleepwalkers? https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0118464/?ref_=kw_li_tt

This actually might be it, I'll have to chase down an episode or two to see, but thank you. (Although if anyone else has thoughts feel free to pitch them)

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
Not your answer, but I love to share that the movie Dreamcatcher had Thomas Jane "calling" someone with a pistol he puts to his head like a phone. That movie is so terrible and amazing.

Edit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWvrPrWvUgc

Edit2: Best outtake in the history of all outtakes

https://youtu.be/cJuNoNqJV4Q?t=3m41s

Ape Agitator fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Nov 17, 2019

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...

Ape Agitator posted:

Not your answer, but I love to share that the movie Dreamcatcher had Thomas Jane "calling" someone with a pistol he puts to his head like a phone. That movie is so terrible and amazing.
Dreamcatcher is one of those movies that I'm not sure I would call good but that I have seen many times. It's like Stephen King's fever dream, which in a way I guess it was. It totally feels like it's the last 2 hours of a 10 part miniseries that doesn't exist, giving you non-stop Shyamalan-like twists happening to characters that haven't been established.

Parachute
May 18, 2003

Ape Agitator posted:

Edit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWvrPrWvUgc

Edit2: Best outtake in the history of all outtakes

https://youtu.be/cJuNoNqJV4Q?t=3m41s

movie owns

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Teenage Fansub posted:

It's no 80's kickboxing movie, but Irreversable?

naw

y'all been stumped again

STUMPED

what do I win

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Are you totally sure? I just watched the scene again and the guy the main character is interrogating in the sex club is begging to be hit and fisted.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

My husband is struggling to remember a film he heard about and wants to watch. I figure if anyone can ID it, it'd be y'all.
70's style, but done recently, psycho-thriller, possibly set in a lab.
"Do you know who stars in it?"
"Nope."
That's what he's giving me to go on. Good luck, gumshoes!

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

JacquelineDempsey posted:

My husband is struggling to remember a film he heard about and wants to watch. I figure if anyone can ID it, it'd be y'all.
70's style, but done recently, psycho-thriller, possibly set in a lab.
"Do you know who stars in it?"
"Nope."
That's what he's giving me to go on. Good luck, gumshoes!

Beyond the Black Rainbow

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

I am legit, literally lmao because I told my non-goon husband "y'know, even with that scant description, my goons will get this in like, 5 minutes. Gimme the laptop so I can post and ask" and... sure enough.

I've never even heard of this film, but, yup, that's what he was looking for. Thanks so much, Dali!

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Teenage Fansub posted:

Are you totally sure? I just watched the scene again and the guy the main character is interrogating in the sex club is begging to be hit and fisted.

Yeah. Definitely 80s early 90s cheesefest. You never mistake that for a gaspar noe movie

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
Movie made in the 70s or early 80s about a kid who finds an old man living in a warehouse with an old biplane. The kid and the old man become friends and restore the biplane.

The old man is a WWI vet who is a pacifist and only ever threw a tennis ball at the Germans.

Maybe filmed in the UK or Australia?

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

SimonCat posted:

Movie made in the 70s or early 80s about a kid who finds an old man living in a warehouse with an old biplane. The kid and the old man become friends and restore the biplane.

The old man is a WWI vet who is a pacifist and only ever threw a tennis ball at the Germans.

Maybe filmed in the UK or Australia?

Looks like this one Tale of a Tiger

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

That's the ticket!

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Early 00's if I remember right, Sci-Fi Channel, it might have been a movie or it might have been a short series.

The concept, as I recall it, was about an "antique store" where the protagonists recovered mystic/cursed artifacts of some sort for safekeeping(it's not Warehouse 13 I'm thinking of, by the way, though it's a similar concept). The only part I remember super-clearly is one where they're trapped in their store by one of the artifacts, a statue of some kind, I forget if it was slowly killing them or if it would just kill them if they left.

Hopefully this isn't just me dreaming it up.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

PurpleXVI posted:

Early 00's if I remember right, Sci-Fi Channel, it might have been a movie or it might have been a short series.

The concept, as I recall it, was about an "antique store" where the protagonists recovered mystic/cursed artifacts of some sort for safekeeping(it's not Warehouse 13 I'm thinking of, by the way, though it's a similar concept). The only part I remember super-clearly is one where they're trapped in their store by one of the artifacts, a statue of some kind, I forget if it was slowly killing them or if it would just kill them if they left.

Hopefully this isn't just me dreaming it up.

That plot detail is very close to an episode of Dresden Files where a wizard strike team crashes in his apartment, but a mysterious fog starts picking them off one by one.

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

Sounds like Friday the 13th: The Series to me.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Could've also been Needful Things.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

PurpleXVI posted:

I don't think it's what you meant, but The Lost Room?

EDIT: I figured you were wrong so I didn't even click on this the first time but yeah that sounds right on the money and WILDLY different from Friday the 13th: The Movies.

Skyscraper fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Nov 27, 2019

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

There is literally no connection to the movies whatsoever other than the name.

Literally none.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

poo poo, I think this may be it. Thanks.

I completely ignored it when it popped up in my search results because I, too, thought it was associated with the Friday the 13th movies.

Skyscraper posted:

I don't think it's what you meant, but The Lost Room?

Not the one I was thinking of, but definitely a good miniseries that I'd recommend everyone give a watch.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
I remember seeing (in French) a VHS with a bunch of animated shorts, around 15 years ago maybe?

The one I distinctly remember was about a boy and his father hunting down a troll-like monster with body proportions similar to this:

With its skin changing colors, it had the ability to turn into tornadoes and was wrecking havok on people's houses. They defeated it by lasso-ing its neck while in solid form and shouting arrows at it. The setting was medieval and wild, I want to say maybe slavic?

The only other shorts I remember were about a young man being gifted a horse born from the sea, and a third one about some short mustached military officer going around loudly shouting "requisitioned!" at everything.

The first two were in rather realistic styles and (I think) without dialogues. I'm guessing they might have been adaptations of tales of some sort, though I have not found any evidence for that.

The VHS boxart was a clown in a blue robe for some reason.

YaketySass fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Nov 30, 2019

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
What was the name of that old cartoon (30s or 40s) where children are dreaming and end up in like candyland or whatever?

Raspberry Bang
Feb 14, 2007

Sgt. Politeness posted:

What was the name of that old cartoon (30s or 40s) where children are dreaming and end up in like candyland or whatever?

Little Nemo in Slumberland?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Sgt. Politeness posted:

Walt Disney's Alice Comedies?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQUv9NXkYeo

MachineryNoise
Jan 13, 2008

So I shout "Set your life on fire!"
If it's neither of those, it's gotta be Somewhere in Dreamland.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TcRohLJx6g

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

PurpleXVI posted:

poo poo, I think this may be it. Thanks.

I completely ignored it when it popped up in my search results because I, too, thought it was associated with the Friday the 13th movies.

Not the one I was thinking of, but definitely a good miniseries that I'd recommend everyone give a watch.

I asked about a different episode in an old post and (Mesmer’s Bauble) because I had watched it on sci-fi as well

The answer poster got it just by plugging in keywords into IMDb

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

MachineryNoise posted:

If it's neither of those, it's gotta be Somewhere in Dreamland.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TcRohLJx6g

It's definitely this one thanks, the Disney+ search engine is stupid but it looks like we wouldn't have found it anyway.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Tsietisin posted:

There is literally no connection to the movies whatsoever other than the name.

Literally none.

That's pretty wild, is it any good?

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

I found the episodes I watched pretty entertaining. Good little mystery stories, though the baddie is usually known straight off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Tsietisin posted:

I found the episodes I watched pretty entertaining. Good little mystery stories, though the baddie is usually known straight off.

All right, cool! Thanks for the recommendation!