Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tuco
Jul 24, 2006

I look good too!
A few summers ago a friend and I were trying to recover from July 4th activities by doing nothing but watching crap on TV waiting for our hangovers to go away.

We came upon the worst movie either of us have ever seen, it was so bad we could not turn away. It was so bad, we consider it the funniest movie we have ever seen.

The plot: A groups of teenagers (6 or so) move from the Midwest to Manhattan to become professional dancers. The can only afford a small crappy apartment. Cue montage 1: The group puts on some tunes, dances, and proceed to fix up the apartment to more livable standards.

To make some money they begin dance as street performers and get people to put spare change into their hats.

They eventually go out for an evening’s entertainment at some new hot underground club. In the club they are confronted by a street gang. This is not your typical gang as they have no guns, no knives, no bike chains, or weapons of any sort. Their means of intimidation are urban street and break dancing.

A dance fight ensues and though our team of intrepid Midwesterners gives it their all, the street gang shows them up makes fools out of them in front of all the club goers.

The group is distraught, and infighting nearly tears them apart and almost sends them packing back to Iowa (or where ever they were from)

The group rebounds, and decided they are too good of friends to split up. They vow to practice and try harder, but most of all; learn some new moves. Cue montage 2: The group goes from to club to club trying to pick a new hip repertoire of moves. Learn, practice, learn, and practice.

The group finally decides they are ready and head back to the original club. The street gang is there and rightfully cocky after handing our hicks a thorough beating the first time around. However, all the practice and new moves payoff as the street gang is defeated in final scene, another dance off. Our heroes earned their respect and a right to stay in Manhattan.

I have been searching for years for the title and a copy (no, I’m not asking for files) of this movie and have made a number of requests on places like craigslist. Once I find the title I’d really like to buy this on VHS or DVD if possible. Please end my suffering and tell me the name of this movie.

I am 99.9% sure this is not Breakin’ And is was definitely from the 80’s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuco
Jul 24, 2006

I look good too!

FitFortDanga posted:

iMDB Power Search
Country of Origin: USA
Genre: Musical
Year: 1983-1987

Is this it? Fast Forward

I can't tell. The plot sounds right, but I could have sworn most of the cast was white, which made it all the more funny, and goddamn it if I'm not having the hardest time believing the worst movie I have ever scene was directed by Sidney Poitier with a sound track by Quincy Jones. I’ve just done Google and Yahoo searches and haven’t been able o come up with anything more definitive to let me know if this is the movie or not.
I’ve tried looking for clips of the movie on You Tube to be sure, but there are none.

This is worse than not having a clue at all.

Tuco
Jul 24, 2006

I look good too!

FitFortDanga posted:

What about this user comment?

Yes I read that and it sounds spot on but Sidney Poitier, what the Christ??? My brain won’t accept it.

This is most likely the movie and I appreciate your help

By the way, this statement

IMDB poster posted:

This movie is filled with incredible dance scenes, great music and it is a true coming-of-age film that follows the trials of trying to "make it" in whatever you do.

is a loving blatant and dirty lie.