Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

ipaid10buxforthis posted:

I'm looking for a Jackie Chan movie I saw in the 90's.

Jackie plays an orphan at a mafia run orphange(I think) who learns cheat at cards. All I remember is a scene where one of Jackie's childhood friends get his hand chopped off for cheating the godfather.

The biggest thing I remember is that there's a girl who happens on a former spec-ops in a subway. She gets harassed by some guy, the soldier offers to beat the poo poo out of the guy for food, she agrees and he beats the guy down. The two become friends and he keeps beating people up so long as she pays for his food.

Like I said I saw it in the 90's with my parents, I can't remember if it was before Rumble in the Bronx came out or after. There is a small chance that Jackie Chan isn't even in the movie, since IMDB doesn't list a movie that's even similar to what I'm describing.

God of Gamblers 3: The Early Stage ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

franco posted:

I'll crosspost this on behalf of somebody who was talking about it in an e/n thread. Any help appreciated!

e: I should add that it's kung fu (as if that wasn't obvious :D) and is probably 70s-ish.

Dragon On Fire.

e: Better matching description: http://www.dighkmovies.com/v3/165/165.html

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

WattsvilleBlues posted:

There's this one dude in school, about 17 or 18 years old, who keeps getting higher than average scores in his tests, despite wearing the band and despite his teachers' best efforts to get him to achieve averageness. Eventually, they realise that this "band" business isn't going to be able to do the job, and he gets secreted away to some government underground facility where people like him, those whose intelligence could not be suppressed by the "band", are given free reign to develop themselves without the hindrance of intelligence suppression.
Harrison Bergeron

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
I've been trying (and failing) to identify a movie that I bought it cheap on VHS about 10 years back, watched late at night, and then lost during a house move. Googling, keyword searches, IMDB trawling, etc have all failed me.

It involves a criminal in a futuristic world being brainwashed to be a co-operative member of society. The brain-washing fails, I think - my memory is fuzzy - and a small rampage ensues. Themes of self-determination, social responsibility and freedom are touched upon.

It's a 70s movie (if I remember correctly), with the attendant down-beat pacing and usage of 50/60s radical architecture to represent the future. I also believe it's probably a pretty bad movie but my curiosity cares not.

Now, I should definitively state that this is not A Clockwork Orange, even though the high-level similarities are obviously abundant. The VHS sleeve even boasted that this was the underground/cult/undiscovered A Clockwork Orange that no one had seen so it's possibly a blatant cash-in.

Lists of films related to Clockwork Orange haven't got me anywhere. Any ideas?

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
I'm pretty sure it's not Overdrawn at the Memory Bank from the online summaries. The movie I'm thinking of does not involve time travel or body swapping with animals or Humphrey Bogart.

However, I do now have a new movie on my to-watch-someday list so thanks!

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Yup, it sure is - thanks!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdHyLbda96k

By all accounts it is a poor movie and the alternate title of Clockwork Terror and the direct name check it gives Kubrick's work is quite shameless as to it's cheap rip-off status.

However, I still dig the 70s retro-futuristic styling and the dialog contains a multitude of good bits to be sampled. Thanks again!

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Krustic posted:

I remember seeing this one around 93 on hbo or something. A blond guy has a accident where he loses use of his legs. He then takes up keyboard and becomes a techno/electronica artist. He is fitted with some sort of mechanical legs and pretty much dresses up like robocop when he performs. A girl he has a crush on becomes infatuated with his techno robot alterego after seeing him perform. The guy is to scared to reveal his true identity blah blah. If I remember correctly one of synthesizers was a Roland sh101 and the movie culminated in a techno keyboard shred-off against some other jerk. Ring any bells?

The details are all different but could this be Vibrations?

Only a few days ago I came across this delightful clip from it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0S6b7_Z404

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Vanilla posted:

Trying to find this trashy film I saw when I was younger so put it in the age range of 20-30 years. It's like a low budget terminator rip off with glowing eyes and all.

- Premise was that a boyfriend found out his girlfriend was acting strangely.
- Long and short is that a plane load of people (that his g/f was on) were turned into 'robots' on this flight.
- He then tries to uncover the truth while they hunt him.

I think it was trashy, low budget and I remember thinking it was a terminator rip off due to the glowing eyes!

Annihilator TV pilot? http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0090649/

Looks like it's also on YouTube in it's entirety: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GW99iy6OY9U

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Bicycle Dreams?

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Tardigrade posted:

Way back in the 90s, I caught a brief segment of a fantasy movie on TV that may have been a theatrical movie or a TV movie, I have no idea which. I recall that the protagonist was a woman disguised as a man (a prince?), and was carrying a goose or swan or other waterfowl with her, and said fowl could talk. There was a scene where she and the goose were trapped in a large, organic-looking cave which turns out to be the mouth of some monster. The monster was making them guess where they were, and the exchange was something like "In your palace? In your kingdom?" "... in my mouth". They get out by tickling the creature's uvula and making it spit them out. The only other scene I remember was some kind of swimming contest where the protagonist was trying to undress as slowly as possible to avoid letting her secret out. Yeah, it sounds weird.

Google has proven fruitless, and I'm convinced it was something like "The Goose Prince" or "The Prince of Swan Castle". Anyone have a clue?

Sounds like it could be one of Lamberto Bava's Fantaghirò films: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fantaghir%F2_series

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I don't honestly know if I'm thinking of a show or movie, but the scene is some guy gives someone else a neti pot (the thing you fill with warm water, stick in one nostril, and let the water flush everything out through the other nostril when you tilt your head) for a birthday gift or something. I think the guy even mentioned that it was his, but he didn't use it anymore.

My fiancee also remembers this, but try as we might, we can't remember what it's from.

Is it this scene from Six Feet Under?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysCjoa2tS-M

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Joey Gladstone posted:

Sorry if this one came up before, but this is a long thread. I saw this movie on TV maybe like ten years ago, but it had a definite 80s or early 90s feel to it. Somebody must know what it is with this clue: it was some kind of alien or monster or whatever, and they had these kinda big robes. They opened up the robe, a kid ran into it, and then when the monster opened it back up a bunch of bones or whatever came out. Thanks and God bless

Vague, but could this be From Beyond?

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Sounds to me like Kill List (2011).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eeDTmho3jEQ

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

jimcunningham posted:

Timeframe: late 70s early 90s

Box art boasted bans in like 40 countries. i think there is a half naked woman with a sheet and fire and maybe a pentagram.

The movie its actually pretty tame. Early on its medieval times then I'm pretty sure it went to the present. Satanic rituals and such. I remember some torture stuff i think Chinese water drip. Thanks

There's no bit set in modern times, but this kinda sounds like Ken Russell's The Devils.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

FreshFeesh posted:

Some time ago I watched a film that focused on an astronaut alone in a space station as his communication with Earth eventually stopped. I believe it was on Netflix and I remember hearing that the whole thing was filmed in the director's back yard. I also remember the Netflix description being both slightly disingenuous and spoiling the ending. Ring any bells?

Love (2011).

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

max4me posted:

Its a movie I saw on the USA network. Its about a group of scientist working in a lab for a nasa contractor. one of their co workers gets into an accident and they put him in a prototype robot suit. Well his brain anyway. But they didnt put in all the chips for the brain interface or something. So if anyone on touches him he goes crazy and kills them.

He tracks down his wife and talks to her through a stero system.

At the end he tracks down the villian in the story who throws his wife at him. He catches her but doesnt kill her cause he figured out how to reprogram himself to stop it.

Then there is a show down between him and another cyborg

I really wanna say the movie was named something like the thinkinator or I might have that wrong

Ack, I'm pretty sure I watched this on telly (could be a telemovie?) in the late 80s and clocked it at the time as a blatant Frankenstein retelling. Does the ending happen in a radio telescope observatory? I can't recall it's name at all, though.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Sounds like an element from any random scene in Tom Berenger's Sniper movies, or maybe from Shooter with Mark Wahlberg.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Does anyone know where this still comes from?

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Ahah, that'll teach me for using TinEye and not Google.

Thanks - another flick added to must-find-and-watch-someday.txt!

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Tarquinn posted:

It is about different (groups of) people who are trapped at a roadside diner/station at a desert highway at night. For some (supernatural) reason nobody can leave the general area, for example if they try to drive away, they just end up at that place again. There's drama and death, (and maybe the group is stalked by something,) till they can leave at dawn.

Could this be Identity?

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

b0nes posted:

The plot involves a cockroach crawling up someones nose and controlling them via their brain. She said it grossed her out she couldn't even remember the title.

Josephine and the Roach?

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Murder-Rock: Dancing Death (a.k.a. Murderock - Uccide a Passo di Danza), 1984.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

midnightclimax posted:

ah, mille grazie!

Il piacere è mio, amico.

Don't expect too much, although your entertainment may be increased by pretending the title is actually Slashdance.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
It's not at night (unless you want to do some colour tinting) but, gently caress yeah, the ending to Antonioni's Zabriskie Point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdvqZPyFng0

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Legacyspy posted:

So there is this movie I saw the trailer of some time back, but I can't remember the name. I figure this should be pretty easy.
So if I recall the plot was something like this drug addict in a hospital spinning this tale to a girl to get the girl to get drugs for him, as a framing device for the rest of movie. The story was some sort of historical adventure fantasy about a multi-ethnic team of people who were sorta caricatures. A Sikh with explosives? A Spanish swordsman? Something like that.

Tarsem Singh's The Fall.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Free Drinks posted:

It might have been an episode of the Outer Limits or something, but I remember something I saw on tv as a little kid where a guy played this one game all the time in the arcade. It was some game where "no one has beaten the 13th level" he gets close while everyone is watching him but fails. He returns that night, breaks in, starts playing and beats it. Then arcade cabinet breaks apart with him holding the gun used in the game and the enemies start poring out of the broken cabinet. He is able to shoot them with the gun but I really can't remember anything past that.

Anyone have any idea what that might have been? It's bugged me for years.

The Bishop of Battle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6P88tQLhGk

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Silent Bobble posted:

Years ago, maybe mid 90's on VHS, I saw a movie where a cop goes in for a routine examination. He talks to a guy in the waiting room who is there for a physical for a job (bus driver I think). The guy he talks to in the waiting room is worried about failing the drug test so he switches the names on the files and walks out with a clean bill of health. The cop, however, is told that he has about 3 weeks to live or something similar.

The cop is set to retire in a couple of weeks and realizes that if he dies after he retires, his life insurance pays out significantly less than if he dies on the job. So in order to take care of his family after he dies he proceeds to take dangerous calls in the hopes of biting it on the job.

I think the movie was a comedy (I seem to recall some slapstick moments) and was made in either the late 80's or early 90's. Ideas?

Short Time: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0100604/

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

MariusLecter posted:

An old scifi movie, can only remember a battle scene where some time fuckery happens and the main character advances to decrepit age and his son that I think wasn't even born yet finishes the battle for him.

Ice Pirates?

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Most definitely!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nt1vRcdY3nc

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

sticklefifer posted:

I posted this in the thread a couple years ago and I don't think I ever got an answer. Does anyone know what movie this is? It's super low budget and has only two sets and two characters, and it's all dialogue.

I remember that the guy turns out to be a cop, but he's still serious about going through with it. The end has the police show up and they chicken out on their pact but go for suicide-by-cops instead.

Commit?

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

SnakePlissken posted:

Hi folks, help! Need the name of an indie movie from the 90s where three young-ish guys get together back in their old hometown. One is a musician or something and he confides in but doesn't hook up with a young girl that's accompanying them. He -- I only read a review, years ago -- turns her down and advises her to set her sights higher than bumblefuck USA. Read the review in the Washington City Paper many years ago.

Suburbia (1996)?

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Look! A Horse! posted:

I have a vague movie scene memory I can't get out of my head. A boy is in some kind of trouble (??) and goes to stay in this couples house. The house is built just for kids, the walls are bright colors, there are toys everywhere; it's a child's paradise. Anyway it turns out this couple are actually horrible pedophiles who have done this before and they get some sort of ultra violent comeuppance. Sorry this is so vague, this is about all i remember. I think the scenes were shot in a very surrealistic, forced-happiness style to foreshadow the coming pedophilia? I believe they also had false walls and tons of recording equipment

Running Scared, starring Paul Walker.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucRoTH51R9Q

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Look! A Horse! posted:

this is exactly it, thank you! Was this movie good at all, i have no recollection of ever watching it.

Eh, kinda?

The film is a modernized (for 2006), ultra-dark guns'n'violence fairy tale. That paedophile scene is just a brief interlude, so if you've the stomach for a whole feature film's worth of that then sure, go fill your boots.

I just rewatched that scene and found it quite distressing, despite my background in video nasties which seem more slapstick splatter and over the top in comparison, so I'm not sure I'd personally revisit the whole film. I've a sense that it was produced as a vehicle for Paul Walker to demonstrate his ability to be more than just a breezy family-friendly pretty boy.

ynohtna fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Dec 23, 2016

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Sounds like it could be The Machinist (2004) starring Christian Bale?

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Isaac posted:

Similar kind of themes but iirc this had almost all the scenes in his house. I dont remember any areas except inside the house and this kind of flooded area beneath the house that was always associated with like non-reality.

I think maybe his child drowned? Theres also a scene now I remember where he goes into a bathroom when he hears running water and there is some creature in shower that looks like a baby. It was like he had drowned his kid and later maybe his wife and the constant dripping was kind of in that idea.

Ah, good luck with the search then. Nearly an infinite number of soggy dead kid films were released in the early 2000s!

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Perhaps Woody Allen's Bananas?

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Some great recommendations above!

I'd also suggest looking at The Serpent and the Rainbow, Altered States, The Beyond, and The Visitor.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Starcrash (1979)!

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Vier posted:

Super vague but it was over 15 years since I saw it, a movie in which 'someone' takes a radio to a radio expert hiding in a room accessible by opening a secret door using a coat hook. Could have been set around WW2, it was not the movie starting Robin Williams.
There may also have been the line "don't call me brother"

Any ideas?

The Year of Living Dangerously?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
This one has been infrequently haunting my dim brain for unknown reasons since seeing it probably around the early/mid 80s.

Super-vague memories: a scientist has created a realistic male android for the government but conscience makes him release the bot into 80s USA. Lots of Frankenstein allegories (probably stated outright 'cos I wasn't good at understanding things back then). Creator maybe dies or abandons the robot in a diner. Very down beat and low key feel to the film (likely due to a shoe-string budget in retrospect). And I think the climax is set in a dark and gloomy astronomic observatory.