Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.

The Leon Hikari posted:

I've got two scenes stuck in my head from either one or two movies. The first scene involves a guy flying in to see his old trainer in a bar or something to that effect and it ends up turning into a shootout at the bar.

The second scene is this gay guy who makes music with his father does end up with his own personal jet.

I have no clue what movie this is, if anyone could tell me it would be nice.

The second one sounds like a scene towards the end of Reno 911: Miami.

Drunkboxer posted:

I saw a movie once that took place in Alaska or the Yukon or somewhere. It was about an old mightily bearded logger who was married to a loud mouthed Indian woman (also old). It took place (I think) around the turn of the century. The guy's name was "Lord" I think and he got in a chain fight during it. It probably came out during the late nineties, I dunno. You'd think with this info I'd be able to get it on google but I'm far too stupid apparently.

edit: Oh and the guy dies at the end.

This might be a stupid question, but do remember anyone at all that was in this? It sounds really familiar, but I can't quite place it.

Detective Thompson fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Nov 8, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Saw about a few minutes of this on TCM the other morning, but had to leave before I could find out what it is. It's a silent film, probably late-20s if I were to guess, and the scene I saw had an older man, 40s/50s, sitting in front of the fireplace in his house, cooking his dinner. A younger woman comes in, tells the man, named George, about how her husband died, and asks the man to marry her. The man says no, something about how he's tired of love and life, or something like that. Judging by the clothes they were wearing, I think it was set in the 1820s/1830s.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Action Jacktion posted:

Beau Brummell (the title character's real name is George).

Yes, that's it. Thanks.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

I need help with something I saw a long time ago, early to mid-90s. What I remember is a man in a big spooky house, no lights on, I think there was a storm going on outside. So he's trying to find his wife or girlfriend or whatever, and he sees her standing against a wall, and then the wall spins like a revolving door and there is a monster on the other side. It spins again, the woman, and spins back to the monster. It keeps doing this as the man gets closer. He gets a sword from somewhere, probably it was a decoration on the wall of the house, and the wall spins once more, and it should be the monster, but it's the woman holding a cake with candles. Turns out it's some prank being played on the man for his birthday or something. But he swings the sword as the wall comes back around since he's expecting the monster, and ends up chopping the woman's head off. I'm probably misremembering some details. The monster might just have been some creepy dude. I also want to say this was a short section of a longer anthology kind of movie, like a Creep Show sort of thing.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Nah, in Zodiac the killer drives up, stops for a moment, leaves, then comes back and pops the kids. No words beforehand. The reason they weren't making out was because they never got the chance to before he shows up the first time.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

The first one I saw when I was really young, so mid-late 80s. From what I remember of the quality, it was probably made around the same time frame. I only recall some little bits, mainly that it was a sci-fi film set possibly on the moon, but definitely not on Earth. It was probably the first film I ever saw that demonstrated the lack of sound in an airless atmosphere. Anyway, the part that sticks out to me is the main character and his buddy having some drinks at a bar. I don't really remember the main guy, but I remember his buddy being kind of a gruff, sloppy dude with a rough beard going on. Another part I seem to recall is that these guys were space miners or roughnecks, and they are doing some drilling out on the surface of wherever they lived, and I think the buddy gets attacked, maybe sawed in half by a robot. I also seem to recall the buddy coming back as a half-human, half-robot monster. That's not a lot to go on, but maybe it'll spark something.

The other thing I'm trying to recall is if Leviathan had a part where a small, spidery kind of sea creature makes its way back onto the crew's ship or whatever, then ends up getting killed in a hallway by a sharp piece of metal. The creature probably caused all sorts of havoc before being killed, and I want to say the person that killed it was a female crew member. Again, this is another movie I saw when I was young and I'm not sure about.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Neo Rasa posted:

Deep Star Six is similar but he is thinking of Leviathan, about 1/3 of the way in a small, mutated, spidery crab unrelated to the rest of the stuff gets on board. They chase it around a bit in a panic and Amanda Pays stabs it with some torn piece of metal.

Thanks for confirming that for me. Been bugging me for a bit.

100 Years in Iraq posted:

Possibly Outland?

Starscream posted:

The first half sounds like Outland but the second half sounds a lot like the old Bruce Campbell sci-fi flick Moontrap.

Thanks, I'll give these a look and see if they're what I'm thinking of.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

A film noir that came out four or five years agao with the stereotypical self-narrating private eye, but he's investigating a death at a monastery, I think a Buddhist one. The thing I remember most from the trailer is a monk holding up two halves of an orange in front of his eyes. I think that was also the image on the poster.

Edit: Nevermind, the name just came to me. It's Zen Noir.

Detective Thompson fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Aug 17, 2010

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

All I remember about this was a brief scene I saw when I was quite young, so I'd say the movie was made in the 80s to early 90s. There is what I think was a homeless man and a woman, or maybe she was homeless and he wasn't, or they were both homeless. Whatever, vagrancy was involved. Basically they were about to make love, I think on top of a big pile of garbage, and the guy is undressing the woman, but she's wearing like a dozen layers of clothing that he has to get through. I recall him expressing wonderment at this and also that one of the layers of clothing was a shirt or jacket that was white with black vertical stripes. Vague, I know, but maybe it rings a bell.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

First one I only remember a very small part, where some gangsters are meeting up under a bridge or something like that, maybe in the L.A. River. The head guy sees some lone dude spray painting over the gang's tag, yells at him, the guy tries to run, but the leader shoots him. The scene ends when the gang (I seem to recall there wasn't a lot of guys in the gang, like three or four), walks by the still-living victim and the head guy shoots him a few more times as they go by him. I think I saw this probably in the mid-90s.

Second one is one I haven't actually seen, but I had it described to me. I'm not sure I am remembering it correctly, but basically these two guys that live together wake up one day to find the world has disappeared, and by that everything is gone and they are left in a big white void. That's about all I can recall.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Unexpected EOF posted:

The latter movie is called "Nothing", the end of which still freaks me out.

Thanks! Netflix doesn't have it so I'll have to track it down somewhere else, but at least I know the title now.

zombieman posted:

There's a scene like this in 187:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0118531/

I'll take a look at it, thanks.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

All I remember about this movie is the cover of the VHS when my parents rented it. It's a shot of a man hanging onto the undercarriage of a black car as it speeds towards a set of those anti-backup spikes/blades that some buildings' parking lots have.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Thanks!

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

I remember reading something online, probably somewhere on SA, about a film where the filmmakers took their lead actor, who had never handled a gun before, and put him in a situation where his character needs to use one to save his life. I seem to recall whoever was talking about it saying it was pretty interesting having this actor actually trying to figure out how to use a gun (I think it was an AK-type of weapon) on screen so his character can make it out alive.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Not a movie, but either an episode of the Twilight Zone or The Outer Limits. A pilot is testing out some new piece of technology, or happens to fly through a special part of the atmosphere, and ends up going through some sort of barrier. After landing (or maybe crashing) in the desert, he makes it back to the base. At first it seems to him like everyone is frozen in time, but he eventually realizes that they aren't frozen, but rather moving incredibly slowly. He ends up saving a girl, maybe his daughter, from being run over by a runaway truck by chocking its wheels or something like that. There's also some other man in this section of time with him, trying to escape. At the end, I think he ends up flying back through whatever it was that got him in the mess to begin with.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

penismightier posted:

"The Premontion," Outer Limits.

http://www.hulu.com/watch/155110/the-outer-limits---original-the-premonition

You remembered it pretty perfectly.

Much obliged!

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

trunkwontopen posted:

Another one, this one is a bit difficult. I remember being entranced by an advertisement on the back of a TV Guide when I was younger, perhaps 10-12 year old age. It was a horror flick, the advertisement had a house at the top, and a zombie-like dog's head at the bottom. Been searching for the "poster" all over, and once I find the poster, I find the movie. I thought it was called "hell hound" or "Demon dog" .. but nothing is connecting when I look up the posters.

How long ago were you 10-12? I think it would be easier to figure it out if we knew the approximate year you're talking about.

It's probably not this, but it is a TV movie with a sort of zombie-ish dog, though no house.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0147857/

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

I vaguely remember a scene from something my parents were watching a long time ago. There was a small group of armed guys, I think three, and they come to this house/cabin in a wooded area. Two of the guys go inside, one stays outside to stand guard or something. The two that go in start to rape a woman inside, but the third man comes in and shoots the guys he came with. I probably saw this sometime in the early 90s, so the movie would have been from around then/late 80s.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

I only saw a brief clip of this, so I don't have too much info to give. It looked like it was made sometime in the 60s, and I think it was about a group of people stranded in the desert and looking for a way out. The one scene I remember is the group comes on this small hill/large rock, and it's crawling with baboons. One of the people in the group tells the others that the baboons are bad news and not to mess with them. I don't know if it took place in an African desert or a West Asian one.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

VampireRobot posted:

This is something very very recent. I apologize in advance, because I'm not even completely sure that it was a scene from a movie and not a TV show. I'm pretty sure it was definitely horror though, so someone should be able to figure it out.

It's not so much a movie that I can't remember, more that I remember a scene and can't place where I saw it.

Basically it was a young guy walking down a hall in all black, with makeup all over his head like a skull, and it looked a lot like that tattooed guy in real life who has the skull tattoo thing on his face. (This guy: http://i.imgur.com/Fx1Cq.jpg) . It might have been kind of a Columbine scene where he's stalking the halls of a school. I also think it might have been a dream sequence or a fantasy.

Must be the new FX show American Horror Story. Right around 13 seconds in this trailer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDb4SqqiQag&feature=related

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

All I really remember is a scene where this B-52 bomber crew is dropping a nuclear bomb (don't recall if it was a test or if it was dropped in anger), and the co-pilot, who I want to say was a woman, goes to close the curtains on their side of the cockpit so the blast won't blind the pilots. But the co-pilot's too slow and doesn't quite get the curtain pulled in time, and they get blinded in the right eye when the bomb goes off. I saw this when I was pretty young, and I'm guessing it was made at some point in the 80s from the impression I have of it now.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Omena posted:

I'm trying to identify a movie which usually airs around Christmas time in the UK. It features a snowqueen and possibly a unicorn. This is ultra vague I know, but I thought I'd give you guys a bash.

How many snowqueen movies can there be?

Is it perhaps Legend? Not sure what it has to do with Christmas, but you Brits are wacky anyway.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0089469/

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

This is going to be vague, but I only saw the opening scene to this documentary in one of my film classes back in college, and we never went back to the film. It opens on a house, with a boy and I think his mother sitting on the porch. The doc is about the boy, that had some sort of mental and/or behavioral problems. I seem to recall his mother yelling at him for some reason in that first few minutes we watched. That's all I really know. I think it was probably made in the early or mid 90s, and the title might have had the boy's name in it.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

oldpainless posted:

Ill say "Whats Eating Gilbert Grape" but its not a documentary.

Nah, it was definitely a documentary.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

cloudchamber posted:

What's the name of the Melies film in which he's conducting an experiment to create a televesion (or some similar device), but when he tries to broadcast the image of a person through it a monkey appears instead?

Long Distance Wireless Photography

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8nVsqQqR20

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Two films, I think both Korean, though the first might be Chinese. First is about a boy that has to go live with his grandmother for whatever reason. She is unable to speak, and communicates in a form of sign language (I don't remember if it's actual sign language or just some stuff she made up). The boy is a real rear end in a top hat to her at first, calling her names and whatnot. I also recall there being another boy that lived in the same village, and he was scared of being chased by a bull or an ox on a certain path that was too narrow to avoid the bull, and one time the first boy tricks him by saying the bull was chasing him. In the end, everything was good and the boy loved his grandmother and all that.

Second is about traditional Korean music, and a small family (father and his daughter and son, if I remember right) that continues to practice it despite the fact it's slowly dying out. I don't really recall too much about what happened, aside from the son not wanting to do it anymore and fighting with the dad and stuff like that. I want to say the movie opens and closes with them performing the music at different ceremonies, the ending one possibly the father's funeral.

Edit: I saw these in a college class around the mid-2000s, and I think both came out in the early-2000s or late 1990s.

Detective Thompson fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Jan 21, 2012

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

MrGreenShirt posted:

This probably isn't it, but the son playing an instrument, fighting with the father, ceremonies and the eventual funeral at the end makes me think of Departures. Even if that isn't it, you still owe it to yourself to watch this wonderful, wonderful movie.

It's not it, but I have seen Departures and I enjoyed it quite a bit.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

If I remember right, it was just a regular phone, but the operator was insistent that it was a pay phone, and wouldn't let them make calls unless they dropped in some money. So they do the dropping coins into a jar/can to fool her.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

There have been a number of adaptations of the story, but I feel like maybe you're thinking of this one in particular:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0100813/

It had a fair few respectable actors in it, too.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

I think this film was on TCM back in October. It's an older sci-fi film, late-50s I believe. I only saw about the last half or third of it, but there's a rocket that lands on a planet, and leaves to head back to Earth. However, they don't know that they've picked up some evil alien creature on the planet. I want to say the alien was large and Sasquatch-like, but I don't have a great image of it in my head. The thing starts killing people, I think by stealing all the fluids in their body, and at first no one believes it, but soon they realize there is something nasty on board. The ship was split into a number of different levels, with ladders between them and submarine-like hatches that could be closed to section off levels. I believe the creature starts out on the cargo level, and slowly makes it way up. I remember one crewman got stuck down with it after getting injured, but was able to keep it at bay with a welding torch or flamethrower or similar device due to its fear of fire. They couldn't kill the thing with conventional means, not even these gas grenades they threw down on it. I think they end up at the top level of the ship before they come up with a plan that required one member to leave the ship at the top and climb down to the bottom in order to sneak around the beast. I think they just ended up sucking it out of the ship and into space, but I could be misremembering that.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

penismightier posted:

IT! The Terror from Beyond Space, which was remade as Alien.

Thanks!

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Trying to figure out two movies I saw when I was pretty young, and as such I only have very vague recollections of them. I believe both came out in the mid to late-80s, and both are horror movies.

For the first one I think what I remember happened near the end of it. I seem to recall a man going into a house that was the big bad guy's house. It was just a regular house in a suburban neighborhood, but the evil guy was hiding out or whatever. I think the man had a small camera, either hand held or strapped to his head (similar to the Marines in Aliens), and the image was being sent to a van where a small team of people were watching. I remember him opening a refrigerator, and there was a head in it, but I think it was a dog's head. The next part I remember must be more or less the end, because the bad guy was on the roof of the house, and police had surrounded it, and had spotlights on the villain. And I want to say the bad guy was really pale, maybe disfigured or monstrous looking, not exactly human. Maybe he gets hit by lightning on the roof?

Next one I think took place in a nunnery or a monastery or something like that, located in a city. I remember religious imagery was important. A group of people, men and women, were investigating the place, I think something to do with rumors of supernatural stuff going on. I think I recall at one point we see a cat or a pigeon crucified, and Satan's hand coming through a mirror/portal, though I may be confusing those images from another movie. At some point I believe the building was cut off from the outside world. The ending, I think, was meant to look like it was shot on video, with one of the team narrating something to the outside world while the shot moved through the building. I think the last thing we see is Jesus, like the actual dude and not a statue.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Action Jacktion posted:

Sounds like Prince of Darkness.

After watching the trailer, this is definitely it. Thanks! I've been thinking about that one for a long time now. Guess I was wrong about Jesus, though, since that dude doesn't look too holy from the trailer.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

I've got two brief scenes in my mind, that may or may not be from the same movie. I'd say the film/s is/are from the early or mid-90s. First scene is a woman working for a suicide hotline. A call comes in from a guy using a payphone. The connection is bad, and the person working for the hotline tells the guy to click the thing, meaning the part that depresses when the phone is hung up, but instead we hear a gunshot over the line. Also, I have this notion that the woman at the suicide hotline was played by a man in drag, though I don't know if that's part of the character or is meant to be comedic for the audience. Second scene is an older woman, maybe on or near a beach, and she's looking sad. A man about her age is out walking some dogs, and he comes upon her. He notices that she's sad and says something along the lines of "What can I do you for?". They end up having sex.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Thanks, I had the idea that it has some well-known names in the cast, but I couldn't recall any of them. I should have remembered Steven Wright was the guy at the payphone.

So is the second scene I'm recalling in that movie, or is it indeed another film?

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Power of Pecota posted:

That's absolutely Mixed Nuts, although I have no idea how you could think Madeline Kahn was a man in drag...

tacodaemon posted:

Probably just wires crossed in the memory; Liev Schrieber played a crossdresser in the film (not an employee of the hotline, though, that was me remembering wrong).

Yeah, I haven't seen the film since it would have first come out on video, so it's just memories being mixed up.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

I just got a flash of a very brief scene I saw a long time ago. I think the movie is probably from the late-80s. It has that feel to it. Anyway, the shot is set up to look like two people having sex, the dude on top of the woman. They're both breathing heavy and all that. But then the camera starts to move and we realize it was actually turned on its side. As the camera straightens out, we see these two are actually working out on treadmills or whatever, side-by-side, facing each other.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

I'm guessing What Ever Happened To Baby Jane?.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

There was some movie on TV way back, and I got bored of it quick and changed the channel. But something I saw a moment ago reminded me of a scene from it. I probably saw it in the early-90s, but I would guess it was made at some point in the early-80s or late-70s judging by the look of the film. Anyway, in the movie, there was some concern about terrorists bombings in the Mideast (I think). Bomb belts were mentioned, and the scene I can recall is some Middle Eastern-looking woman in a crowd of people. She yells something and jumps off some structure or another and blows herself up. I remember it pretty vividly because I thought at the moment of how cheesy it looked in slow motion with her twisting in the air, and the fact that the bomb effects consisted of a bunch of sparks flying from the woman.

Also, not a movie, but a TV show that I think was on either Discovery or History, I think sometime in the early-2000s, though it might have even been in the late-90s. The idea behind the show was examining combat throughout history, and they way they did it was by taking a group of people and having them learn the techniques of whatever period the particular episode was about. Then, at the end of the episode, there'd be a big battle with everyone using what they learned to try and win. Most of the time they fought each other. I remember one episode was about Gladiators, with the people dressing up as the different types, like a murmillo and a hoplomachus. I think another episode was about fencing, and the end battle was an attempt to reenact a Renaissance-era duel between a skilled swordsman and an amateur (though I may be conflating that one with another show I saw at the same time). They also had a modern combat episode, were the team trained to act as a SWAT-type unit and at the end had to enter and clear a mocked up house. The show was hosted by a bald English guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

No, Deadliest Warrior is too new and I've never seen it, but I managed to track down what I was thinking of.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conquest_%28TV_series%29