Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

Hi guys. I was a hundred or so pages in the GBS thread about this and I didn't see anything. Forgive me if I'm repeating anything.

I remember this movie when I was no older than 5 or 6, so that'd be late 80s/early 90s. I assume it's a children's movie/show since my parents would rent it for me. I don't remember the plot at all but it involved guys with a button on their chest that activated robotic/metal suits of armor. It's entirely possible that their button or armor suits were somehow related to an animal; like, 'this is the lion-guy' or 'this dude is an eagle'.

The only snippet of plot I remember is that one of the guys betrays someone else and they fight, with one dude possibly being kicked into a bookcase.

This is super vague and possibly a figment of my imagination, but I'd sure love your help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

Mr. 47 posted:

Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers.

No. Not that. This would be a good 6-7 years before that hit the air. Also, it was lower tech...possibly with adults and not kids.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

MrGreenShirt posted:

Sounds like it could be one of any number of "tokusatsu" shows that came out of Japan around that time, like Kamen Rider, Metal Hero, or Ultraman.

Guh. I'm so sorry to keep saying no. It was western; definitely not an import. It's also possible that it was in some way connected to a line of toys, as I remember a commercial for the toys on the VHS before the movie.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

Action Jacktion posted:

Maybe Captain Power?

There is no emoticon powerful enough to convey my gratitude towards you. Thank you, thank you; a thousand times, thank you.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

I'm trying to remember the name of/find a link to a short film that I saw online 2-3 years ago. It was a sci-fi/horror where a bunch of people are strapped to a wall. They have to keep speaking, if they stop, or if they repeat themselves, they're smashed to death with a giant metal block (like a Thwomp from Mario Brothers).

It ends with one woman outlasting everyone else, but then instead of letting her go, they just bring more people in.

I've googled every variation of this I can think of, as well as going through the tag pages on sites I assumed I would've seen it on, but I'm having no luck.

Thanks.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Oooo, I think I found it! It sounded really intriguing to me too, so I went hunting (ex-librarian here, I love looking up poo poo for people). Haven't finished watching it, but it definitely has people having to talk when a sign blinks TALK , or getting smushed in the face.

T is for Talk

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tC6VizgTISg

Edit: not gonna spoil anything, but ending isn't quite how you remembered it. In fact might be creepier.

Hey! That’s it! Thank you so much!

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

JacquelineDempsey posted:

My pleasure! (Seriously, that is my pleasure. I love being able to nail something in 2 Google searches. I wish I could get paid to do that professionally.)

SEO is legit my job. That you nailed it in two is super impressive.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

It’s not Awake (which was a good-rear end show!) as the main character rejected having a life without his son and without his daughter and thus lived in both worlds knowing that one was a hallucination and he just didn’t give a gently caress.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

Oh! This happened in the last season of Lost, too. In the flash sideways, Jack has a son. And as he starts to realize that world isn’t real, he still bonds with his not real son.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

SimonCat posted:

The 1995 Sahara starring Jim Belushi is a remake of the 1943 Sahara starring Humphrey Bogart. I do not know if the 43 movie is a remake of the lost patrol, but it wouldn't surprise me.

For the record: the 1995 version is really good. I know bashing on Jim Belushi is a sport for people, but he’s a legit good actor.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

X-Ray Pecs posted:

This one’s been bugging me for a couple weeks now, I saw it back in Catholic high school (weird decision), and the main things I remember are; a kid nearly drowning early in the movie and the same kid actually drowning at the end of the movie; a kid suspended from a harness throwing up in the middle of a school play; the main character’s biological father, who has been absent his entire life, turns out to be his priest in a third-act twist.

Simon Birch. You forgot “Simon is put in to his first little league game and swings and hits a foul ball that kills his best friend’s mother”

That this is all less batshit crazy than the short story its based on blows my mind every day.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

FitFortDanga posted:

Short story? A Prayer for Owen Meany is a novel, and a rather lengthy one at that.

I never read it. Just the wiki. And it is.....a trip

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

Hannibal Rex posted:

I think something like that happens at the end of Hackers.

Crash

N

Burn

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

Breitbart Is Rightbart posted:

Doesn't Fry do this with stars in Futurama?

He does, yeah. Trying to remember how he convinced Leela to go out with him when they had their memory wiped

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

Pilchenstein posted:

Someone is defusing a bomb by pulling something out of it and it's basically Operation - they have to not let the thing they're taking out touch the sides. I have no idea why I remembered this suddenly. I think the part they're removing is a cylinder, if that helps. :v:

Executive Decision. Oliver Platt uses a plastic straw to keep the sides from touching.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

“Removing the cylinder” is a lot like the defusing scenes from The Rock.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

The Mae West line used to be used in a pre-show “don’t you love the movies” montage before shows at......AMC Theatres(?)

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

Torquemada posted:

What is the origin of this? It always comes across as some playground humour “ha ha wolverine’s a bender LOL” thing.

It’s because he likes being in musicals. That’s all.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

Nothing But Trouble

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

Lester Shy posted:

Is there any other media (movies, TV, video games, even a book?) that features a scene like this one? I've never seen this movie, but I saw the trailer and got hit with the biggest feeling of deja vu. I know there's a lot of stuff that apes the general neon 80s aesthetic, but I swear I've seen this exact same tableau (night time, motel pool, neon trees, etc) before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtgZvEaZb4I

Corona Christmas commercial

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST posted:

I'd be surprised if it's anything other than Girlhood aka Bande de Filles. Although there's zero sci-fi element, so maybe I'm wrong, but black female led films are pretty thin on the ground.

Enter the Void, but you haven’t quite grasped racial characteristics?

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

Similar to the ‘burbs

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

Action Jacktion posted:

That happens in Mom & Dad Save the World except he’s getting the newspaper.

Teri Garr. What a fox.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

Ape Agitator posted:

And one absolutely incredible sequence.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCeD2gF9jUo

I’ve thought about that scene a lot

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

Judge Dredd

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

SimonCat posted:

There is a website with dozens of episodes devoted to that concept.

It took me about fifteen extra seconds but I got this and it is funny.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

Mirconium posted:

Well, an hour ago I was 95% sure this was a movie, but having read through the entire IMDB list of things tagged "sleep" now I'm only 75% sure this is a movie:

Premise is a guy is being experimented on by some scientists in a lab, where they train him to dream lucidly but also communicate with them via a phone that appears in his dreams. Aaaand that's all I got go to go on. Pretty sure it was mid-to-late 2000s.

Sorry it's not much to go on :(

FWIW I'm pretty sure that this XKCD strip is some kind of obnoxious reference to it, which heartens my hope that I didn't hallucinate the whole thing:

https://xkcd.com/269/

A skewed reimagining of The Lawnmower Man?

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

PurpleXVI posted:

Early 00's if I remember right, Sci-Fi Channel, it might have been a movie or it might have been a short series.

The concept, as I recall it, was about an "antique store" where the protagonists recovered mystic/cursed artifacts of some sort for safekeeping(it's not Warehouse 13 I'm thinking of, by the way, though it's a similar concept). The only part I remember super-clearly is one where they're trapped in their store by one of the artifacts, a statue of some kind, I forget if it was slowly killing them or if it would just kill them if they left.

Hopefully this isn't just me dreaming it up.

That plot detail is very close to an episode of Dresden Files where a wizard strike team crashes in his apartment, but a mysterious fog starts picking them off one by one.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

Man. This all just reminded me of the Total Recall tv show.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

oldpainless posted:

That show sucked!

More like old tasteless!

(Nah it was bad!)

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

sigher posted:

Wasn't that basically Altered Carbon? I didn't see it but I heard tons of good poo poo about it.

Around the same time that Altered Carbon premiered, an article came out that talked about how Netflix gives algorithmic notes to their in-house productions. Things like “at minute 11, X should happen because we find that it doesn’t, people will turn off the episode”.

Knowing that, Altered Carbon was the most algorithmically put together show. It wasn’t good, but enough happened in the last 90 seconds of an episode where i felt compelled to watch the next one.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

Parachute posted:

in that sense the mandalorian feels like a video game every single episode. i mean they had the episode where he has to upgrade his armor, then do the riding/ controller training tutorial before doing the fetch/kill quest and gets baby yoda as part of the next quest chain.

Mandolorian is at least very classically paced, not just from syndicated shows like Xena and Hercules but the Fugitive and Route 66.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

Phy posted:

Is there a movie where one of the Hemsworth brothers is playing a very insecure version of themselves and starts to break down any time one of the more successful ones is mentioned?

The Good Place invented a fictional Larry Hemsworth who is a pediatric surgeon but is the black sheep of the family.