Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LOOK I AM A TURTLE
May 22, 2003

"I'm actually a tortoise."
Grimey Drawer
I'm not sure why I even want to find out what this movie is, but here goes:

It's a typical "comical switcheroo" type movie, where two boys -- one black underachiever and one white overachiever -- for a no doubt idiotically contrived reason (can't remember how, exactly) end up having their school applications mistaken for each other, or something like that. Thusly, the nerdy white guy has to go to a predominantly black, inner-city school and the cool black guy is sent to a prestigious private school. Presumably, comedy ensues. Needless to say, the lives of the black kid and the white kid end up intersecting in some way, and at the end the white guy has gotten a lot less nerdy and more cool, while the black guy has gotten less anti-intellectual and has learned to appreciate the value of hard work and blah blah blah. I'm sure you could've figured out exactly how the movie would play out just by hearing the premise. One particular sequence, in which the white boy inquires into the grammatical nuances of African-American Vernacular, specifically the phrase "I be flyin'," stands out in my mind. Also, near the end there's some sort of car chase. Any takers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LOOK I AM A TURTLE
May 22, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Inspector Hound posted:

When did you see this? I know it's not Underclassman, so just quote this and say "It's not Underclassman," or else a million people will say it is.

It's not Underclassman. I saw it maybe two or three years ago. It may have been a TV movie and I really can't say when it might've been made beyond "sometime in the last 20 years".

LOOK I AM A TURTLE
May 22, 2003

Grimey Drawer

baronanglish posted:

This sounds a lot like Class Act (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0103978/), though neither Kid nor Play is white and they both go to the same school, albeit different wings of it (the honors section is really ritzy). Kid (the smart one in the film) is biracial, though, and a lot paler than Play, so this may be the movie you're thinking of.

Ah yes, that's it. Guess my memory was a bit rusty. Thanks.