Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Dandy J posted:

Several years ago listening to Coast to Coast with Art Bell, he mentioned a movie that was based on the butterfly effect, ie something small happens/doesn't happen in the movie and the plot is extrapolated from the (non)occurrence of small events. I think he mentioned something like a person putting a nickel into someone else's parking meter about to expire/not putting a nickel in. Anyway it sounded cool, anyone have a clue?

Bug: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0277615/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

mastur posted:

I also vaguely remember some movie, but no one will guess it. I have always associated it with the name "Fright Night," but obviously it is the wrong one. In it, these people are invited to this mansion I believe, and they all go wandering off in different directions. One or two people go into this room, and are attacked by mud people.

Could it be one of the House films.... around the same era as Fright Night and similar sort of horror/comedy. The mud people ring a bell.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
I have a vague memory of seeing this trailer in the last couple of years:

A group of people wake up in a warehouse and have lost their memory (due to a gas leak or some other macguffin). It's possibly a kidnap gone wrong. Only they have no idea who are the good guy(s) and who are the bad guys.

Ring any bells?

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Thirst for Savings posted:

When I was a kid the parents popped in this movie, the Tristar logo popped up, and it had the horse running towards the screen.

However, the horse was laughing like a retard, and when it came to his little jump he yelled out WWHEEEEEEE!

What movie was this?

Look Who's Talking Too is the only one that mentions the Tri-Star Logo on this page: http://members.fortunecity.com/teamfx2000/media/logodescription/logovariations/movies.htm

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

ECTO-1 posted:

Unknown with Jimmy Jesus Caviezel
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0450340/

Thanks! Good cast. It's one of those films I'm not really that bothered to see, I just want to know what the plot/twist is after seeing the trailer.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
I'd guess the latter. I saw that movie so many times as a kid, and at least some of those would have been in black and white. The movie really aped the aesthetic of 50s flying saucer stuff as well.

Bonus-the-more-you-know-trivia: Flying saucers weren't a thing (in movies anyway) in the 40s

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

The comments on that clip are certainly something (even for youtube standards) #QANON #WWG1WGA

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

JacquelineDempsey posted:

My pleasure! (Seriously, that is my pleasure. I love being able to nail something in 2 Google searches. I wish I could get paid to do that professionally.)

I used to do something along these lines for a hospital library (sup fellow former librarian). Not so much search engines, as command line searching medical journal electronic indexes. Could actually be pretty interesting at times, and kind of freaky as they would often need evidence to justify the cost of certain life-or-death treatments, so if the article that did that existed and I didn't find it for them... whelp... sorry dude who isn't getting the treatment.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
Probably a bit of a long shot. This may have been a made-for-TV thing and shorter than a movie, but I'm almost certain it wasn't part of a series. All I remember is that there was a guy staying on campus at a university and he found some mammoth bones out in the woods... not a lot to go on, except I think it was Canadian. I don't think it was spooky or anything, just some kind of quirky slice-of-life thing. It would have to be at least 20 years old as well.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
Pretty sure this happens at least once in most episodes of Better Off Ted (usually involving Lem and Phil) so I'll throw that into the mix as a contender. Bad name, good show.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Gripweed posted:

I think that's it! poo poo, now I have to watch every episode of Better Off Ted again to find the one I'm thinking of.

*Does a little fist pump and mouths a silent "YES!"*

FWIW I rewatched it recently and it's held up pretty well.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

fat bossy gerbil posted:

I see this gif on here from time to time of a man, possibly Wilford Brimley, riding a horse away from an exploding building. It looks really badass and I feel like I need to see this movie. Please help.

He's in the John Woo/JCVD film Hard Target so that would be my guess

e: Oh yeah, here we go

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lk5QIK3_Cjo

With bonus Bishop and Imhotep, now thats a loving cast.

Gravy Jones fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Mar 8, 2019

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
I thought it was Geena Davis and the guy looked like a generic 70s cop movie dirtbag... and while researching the latter my mind was blown when I discovered they guy who played Scorpio in in Dirty Harry (Andrew Robinson) was Garak in DS9. It clearly isn't him, he's got a pretty distinctive face, but it just reminded me of one of those movies.

If it's a book cover the people on it could easily be based an amalgam of various actors, which would explain why everyone is seeing hints of different people.

Gravy Jones fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Apr 2, 2019

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Alan Smithee posted:

Open question: movies where Deepfake type tech is used to make it look like someone did some poo poo they didn't?

Ones I can think of are Running Man (opening fire in the chopper, pretending they were killed by Captain Freedom) and I want to say there was one movie in the 90s or early 2000s I'm trying to think of where an agency of some kind was faking footage of Wesley Snipes or a protagonist shooting people but I can't even remember if I'm imagining it

Demolition Man? Except it was Arnie shooting protesters from da chopper I think. More editing than deepfake in that case though.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

ynohtna posted:

The racist Sean Connery flick Rising Sun has a whole subplot involving doctoring of surveillance footage.

Co-starring Wesley Snipes so yeah, that's probaby what they were thinking of.

But :lol: at the fact that there were two movies released in '93 co-starring Wesley Snipes, where doctored footage was used to frame someone

Gravy Jones fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Aug 1, 2019

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
Crypt Keeper: Firing squad! Present arms! Hello creeps. I was just about to fire off tonight's deadtime story. It's about a young soldier who doesn't want to be in the army anymore. I can't imagine why not! I mean war's a great opportunity destroyer.

It's actually one of the most famous episodes of Tales From the Crypt. Father was Kirk Douglas and son was Eric Douglas (few other famous people in the cast and directed by Robert Zemeckis): https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0716911

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Runcible Cat posted:

A fairly recent one; I'm sure I saw a trailer for it in the last couple of years. British, set at a boarding school with Something Going On in the woods. Maybe zombies, or aliens or ghosts.

I thought it had Mark Gatiss in it when I remembered it, but I can't find anything resembling that in his recent filmography. But that shows the kind of vibe I'm thinking of.

Slaughterhouse Rulez? https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6905696/

Similar tone to something you'd expect to see Gatiss in but you get Pegg, Frost, Sheen etc instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
Chopp... dammit

The Scientist posted:

There was a post-apocalyptic action movie that I saw on VHS no less than 17 years ago. Late '90's or early 2000's. The apocalyptic scenario is that the great earthquake that separated the California land mass from the rest of the continent finally occurred, and everything had been turned to desert. One dude, the protagonist, was wandering around the desert for some reason.

There was a prison full of prisoners that had rioted and taken control of the prison, but they had nowhere else to live so they all stayed inside this prison. They had no water since it was a desert so the all stood shoulder to shoulder in the prison yard and passed around a bottle of piss that they all would variously piss into or drink from. A loudspeaker blared information at them in a very 1984-like sequence.

Eventually the prisoners leave the prison to pursue the protagonist for some reason (I think)?

The Last Patrol (also known as The Last Warrior apparently) with Dolph Ludgren? A very bad bad movie, as opposed to the many good bad movies with pretty much identical plots.

edit for link: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0214871/

Gravy Jones fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Jan 6, 2020