Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I'm trying to remember a movie I saw a few times as a kid. It was a black and white sci-fi film from the 40s or 50s that prominently featured a black cat and a flying saucer. That's all I got.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
After watching the trailers for these, The Cat From Outer Space definitely feels right tonally and with the military stuff (which I almost included in my description but wasn't sure enough about). I dismissed it when I was searching myself because the era felt wrong, but I'm thinking that either y'all are either right and I watched it on the B&W TV we had when I was very young, or it just somehow became black and white in my memory due to most flying saucer movies being B&W. I also may have added in a little That Darn Cat!, but that cat isn't black either, and the movie's in color...

Thanks!

e: not that anyone really cares, but for reference I think I just mashed memories of The Day the Earth Stood Still and The Cat From Outer Space up.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Nov 6, 2018

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
oops wrong thread!

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Dec 10, 2018

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

DoctorGonzo posted:

hi someone know how is called that movie who was made from trailers of old movies. The only thing i remember was a PSA of sorts against drugs. It had a cop with hat and gabardine and the this is your brain on drugs bit

Pretty sure you're thinking of Drive-In Madness!

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
The guy on the left is pretty clearly based on Christopher Lee in my eyes.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
This'll probably be an easy one, but I'm trying to remember a movie I saw in a film class: French(?), 1960s or early 70s, about an elderly white woman and a young black immigrant man (who may have been her caregiver at one point?) living together then falling in love and I think getting married.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Awesome, that's definitely it! Makes sense why I couldn't find it searching for a French film. Thanks!

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Breitbart Is Rightbart posted:

The relationship between the star and the director was a good read.

:stare: well that was unexpected.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Schadenboner posted:

So it was an old reel-to-reel movie about the environmentally destructive influences inherent to late modern capitalism, watched in in Econ class, senior year of high school (1998/9 but it was very clearly much older). It’s like primitive animation, the consumers keep saying “MORE” and the world ends up being destroyed.

I’ve tried to :google: but “MORE” isn’t an especially helpful search term?

I'd search on archive.org and filter videos by year with some key search terms like "environment" and "economy". I did a quick search but nothing obvious popped up for me, but you'd be able to filter them more easily.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
You're definitely not thinking of Adi Shankar and Castlevania, but it fits the bill.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I know this isn't the recommendation thread, but since this is a rare moment when Quatermass is being discussed—which ones do I watch? There are a very confusing number of formats and versions, maybe across multiple adaptations?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Maybe you're thinking of Enemy of the State with Will Smith? I can't remember that scene, but there's a conspiracy and a framing in it, so it seems probable. Also an infamous scene where security footage rotates around him to look at his face. That might have been a manufactured video? I have not watched it since 1998.

And it's not quite Deepfakes, but Wag the Dog would probably fit the bill.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Could've also been Needful Things.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Max Headroom, Total Recall 2070, and Robocop are three 90s cyberpunk shows that all have way more going for them than they should. Yeah, they're not always "good" in the traditional sense, but they've got a whole lot of heart and each have moments of greatness. Recall is certainly the worst of them, though.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Alan Smithee posted:

TIL Total Recall had a show

Barely. They had the rights to the name, but the creators clearly wanted to make a Blade Runner show instead. So it ends up more of a cheap 90s Canadian PKD remix.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Supposedly the Cowboy Bebop guy is making an anime show for Adult Swim/Crunchyroll but all's been quiet on that front for over a year. Supposedly they were finishing work on the new Ghost in the Shell show first so it's not necessarily a bad sign.

But a live action one would be ideal—I wasn't blown away by the Blackout short by the same team, which just felt like a remix of the first movie.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

sigher posted:

Wasn't that basically Altered Carbon? I didn't see it but I heard tons of good poo poo about it.

Altered Carbon lifts the aesthetics but nothing else. It's a mess of a show but the it's really well made from a visual standpoint and the main story is really entertaining if not particularly thematically rich.

I revisited the Max Headroom narrative TV show recently after watching a lot of (bad) cyberpunk and came away really impressed. It's goofy as hell but really nails the tenets of Western cyberpunk in a way that no other TV show manages—or most movies, honestly. I'd highly recommend it if you haven't caught it and dig cyberpunk. The titular character is thankfully a pretty minor presence and is well utilized when he's around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Parachute posted:

in that sense the mandalorian feels like a video game every single episode. i mean they had the episode where he has to upgrade his armor, then do the riding/ controller training tutorial before doing the fetch/kill quest and gets baby yoda as part of the next quest chain.

Get used to it. More and more emerging directors were raised on video games these days, and many of those likely have a more extensive knowledge of/history with games than with cinema. We'll always have a handful of young film nerds like the Safdie brothers and whatnot at the fringes, but when it comes to blockbusters expect them only to get more video game-like.