Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PvtJoker
Jan 3, 2005
Not looking for a movie, but the name of a charictor actor from ye olden days.

I've seen him on TCM a few times now, but the pop culture impression is bigger. His gimmic is to usualy be a waiter, master of ceremonies, hotel clerk, etc and talk in a rather snooty voice. A typical gag is something like picking up the phone and making a big deal out of "Hellooooo? Helloooooo?!? yes, Yes, YEESSSS!" The voice sounds a lot like the Mr. Whiteside charictor in The Man Who Came To Dinner, but I don't think its Monty Woolley.

The only thing I distincly remember him in was a movie where he was an MC at an event where there were hidden cameras in the room and warning the guests that they might be on television, to the crowd's delight.

I know he's been parodied in a lot of TV shows, just kind of wondering about the story behind him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PvtJoker
Jan 3, 2005

IGotDConch posted:

It's Frank Nelson. I found out his name by searching a "Simpsons" fansite because I remembered he was the clerk in the unwatchable "Prank Monkey" episode.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0625372/bio

Oh-ho-ho Yesssssssssss!

Thanks!

PvtJoker
Jan 3, 2005
Was on HBO Signature tonight.

Takes place in WWII - some German is guarding some kind of ruin with a silver cross that starts glowing, causing him to realize its real silver. So he calls his buddy over and they pry it off with their knives, revealing a secret passage. His buddy lowers him down where he finds another silver cross, touches it, and opens into a massive cavern which shoots a fireball at him.

Meanwhile, the Nazis murder a bunch of villagers and some guy with silver flashing eyes gets off a boat and onto a motorcycle with a package nobody can touch.

I think I saw Crispin Glover in a bit part as one of the Nazis.

It was so horrible that I couldn't keep watching it. Between the cheezy 80s synthaziser soundtrack and the painfully slow pace (long, slow shots of Nazis running I just couldn't take it anymore.

But would still like to know what the hell was going on.

PvtJoker
Jan 3, 2005

Dancing Potato posted:

This sounds like it could be The Keep, directed by none other than Michael Mann. I haven't seen it, though, and it's not available on DVD.

ClydeUmney posted:

EDIT: The more I read that, the more sure I am you're right it's The Keep. But it definitely wasn't on HBO Signature. Right movie, though.

Yep, it was The Keep. There’s a good reason its not out on DVD. This movie is horrible beyond words. Its like you’re watching a parody of a Michael Mann movie… or what Michael Mann would look like if done by first year film students.

It most definitely was on HBO Signature, but I’m on the Asia feed. Consider yourselves lucky that it isn’t on real person HBO Signature.