Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Does this count? Probably needs a decent setup though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Oooh, shiny!

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
Made a sort-of blind purchase because the price would be good no matter what it was, and I'm kinda "eh" at my result.

Hondo Pro H-1052. Was listed as a Strat, which it obviously is not, but the Lead copies were made by Tokai, too, so it's still a really nice guitar. But I already have a black 1052, so not sure if I'll keep it or not. Need to pull the other one out and see which is in better shape.

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
And the final of the Xmas purchases for now.

Crestline made in Korea HARDTAIL!! Strat copy. Made by Samick, early 80s, plywood body and only about 7 lbs as it sits. LIterally bought because it was cheap AND because I've had that neckplate in my parts box since 1997, waiting for a guitar it would fit. I have a jackplate in the parts box for it, but will probably need to get bridge saddles and a pickguard/pickups.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

New battle station + HX Stomp XL. It sounds so good. 🥹

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

I see a dog bed but no dog. This injustice will not stand.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

He was being shy but this is him yesterday:

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem
drat, that’s a good dog.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Smoothing the Ice on Europa since 1997!
Wanna pet that dog

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

these are optical instruments, you've never heard them

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
The BP1W is really good. CE sounds great on all my guitars, and RE is nice on bass and bass VI.

Also I didn't feel like paying $700 for a boss PN2 so I found a used behringer TP300

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
I decided I needed a new pedalboard that wasn’t built out of a metal suitcase for constant gigging.

Chunk of wood.

A short time later.

Threw an old TV wall mount bracket on the underside for management of things.

Everything fits now with room for an extra on the way (DemonFX microtubesX).

I’ll run some strips of Velcro in a week when the finish has completely cured.4

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

ooo, very pretty

TheKub
May 11, 2006

Sockington posted:

I decided I needed a new pedalboard that wasn’t built out of a metal suitcase for constant gigging.

Chunk of wood.

A short time later.

Threw an old TV wall mount bracket on the underside for management of things.

Everything fits now with room for an extra on the way (DemonFX microtubesX).

I’ll run some strips of Velcro in a week when the finish has completely cured.4

Beautiful!

I think my second pedal will be the Boss OC-5 Octave. I haven't experienced any of the peg pedals, but I don't find the peg appealing. The Boss pedals are so attractive to me because of the big pedal pad. I kinda want to collect all the Boss stuff. I also heard that the Boss pedals are just pretty darn good quality and trustworthy all around; is that fair?

The Grapist
Mar 12, 2003

All in all I think I had a pretty normal childhood.
I submitted a bid via an online auction house proxy and just assumed that my lowball bid wouldn’t win because someone else would’ve figured that the serial number was listed wrong because the neckplate was upside down.

Well no one else noticed and I now have a ‘65 Mustang refin with late 70’s or Tim Shaw patent stamped humbucker in the neck.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Hell yeah I love those racing stripe Mustangs

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

TheKub posted:

Beautiful!

I think my second pedal will be the Boss OC-5 Octave. I haven't experienced any of the peg pedals, but I don't find the peg appealing. The Boss pedals are so attractive to me because of the big pedal pad. I kinda want to collect all the Boss stuff. I also heard that the Boss pedals are just pretty darn good quality and trustworthy all around; is that fair?

Boss have always been very durable. The modern pedals use surface mount components which can make modding and repairing them slightly more difficult but, aside from that, nothing has changed in terms of their high quality standards imo.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

TheKub posted:

Beautiful!

Boss pedals are absolutely everywhere, you can even find bunches of them piled onto the shelves of even the most "beginner only" type guitar stores, which makes some people think that means they are are not high quality or "for amateurs." Those people are very wrong. Boss pedals rule. Some of them are amazing and they're all built rock solid.

My favorite boost pedal in the world, out of the billions of them that have been manufactured, including all the rarest ones I know about that were built by a hermit on a mountain top somewhere or whatever, is the Boss GE-7. It's just a 7-band EQ + global level slider. It's perfect for pushing your amp a little harder and shaping the sound of your guitar. Love that thing.

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

TheKub posted:

Beautiful!

I picked up an OC-5 recently, and it's been a blast. I still don't really have my technique dialed in yet to do the synth bass stuff I was intending to use it for, but the poly mode on my guitar is really fun for making organ sounds and pretending to be in Deep Purple or the Attractions.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Are there any pedals that use wave folding? There's filters, and overdrives, and octavers, and all kinds of time based effects, and ring mod. But, I'm not sure I've seen a wave folder pedal?

Vvvvv ooooh, that has much more than just folding!

B33rChiller fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Jan 29, 2024

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

B33rChiller posted:

Are there any pedals that use wave folding? There's filters, and overdrives, and octavers, and all kinds of time based effects, and ring mod. But, I'm not sure I've seen a wave folder pedal?

https://malekkoheavyindustry.com/product/downer/

DrChu
May 14, 2002

Crossposting from the bass thread:

New bass this week

Ibanez EHB1265MS. Yeah, what a name. Electric Headless Bass something something something 5 string Multi-Scale. Most of my current basses are the standard Fenders, Musicman, Rickenbacker, etc, and I've been wanting to try something different. I've been seeing these hit discounts online for a while, but I saw someone selling one locally on craigslist and finally decided to go for it.

I haven't gotten much play time with it yet but I'm liking it so far. The neck is pretty flat front to back and is noticeably easier to play than my Stingray 5. The multiscale aspect (35" on the B, 33" on the G) hasn't been too hard to adapt to, with the higher range a little more affected than the lower. The most difficult part is if I'm moving from a low note to high without looking, I don't always land in the correct spot. I figure that will improve once I get some muscle memory.

The tone seems fine but it needs new strings so I don't want to make any big judgements on that aspect until I do that. The truss rod could use a little tightening to bring the action down a bit but the setup is good otherwise. It came with a ramp I'm considering trying, I'm so used to resting my thumb on pickups and the angled ones make that a little more difficult. Weight is pretty low and there's no balance issues.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
I updated my PRS Hollowbody

Lollar Novel 90 HBSP90s. Gold Hardware.

It's such a greasy, yet pretty rock\blues machine.

Slothful Bong
Dec 2, 2018

Filling the Void with Chaos

DrChu posted:

Ibanez EHB1265MS

lol this is great, I just bought an EHB1505MS myself! Got to compare it against the EHB1005MS - they both played similarly, the 1005 was a little lighter, but I liked the look of the 1505 more and the Nordstrand pickups were a huge leap for the music I play. Not sure that was worth $500 more tbh, but the overall quality of the bass is high so I don’t feel ripped off.

Was planning on a strandberg, but not finding a local one to play meant I wasn’t comfortable dropping $3400. This was half the cost, sounds very dingwally, has a pretty useful mid-sweep, and is light-ish. Neck seems to be straight, no obvious issues or construction fuckups. Action is around 1.5mm to 2.75mm, I’d like to go a little lower but fretwork is causing a little too much buzzing below this.

My only complaints are it needs some minor fretwork and the pickups should be much more rounded - the ramp should help when I install it, but without it I can’t find a comfortable spot to anchor my thumb.

Other thing in the pic is a Cordoba Stage electric nylon. Since I’d budgeted for a strandberg I used the extra money to grab this - it’s cool!

I’ve always wanted a Godin ever since I played their weird 11 string nylon electric years ago, but the cost and really quiet acoustic sound turned me off. When the Ibanez TODs came out I was interested, but the tone was really far from what I was looking for.

This is probably the closest I’ve found at a good price point - it’s loud enough to hear unplugged, action is very electric guitar, and the electronics are decent so it’s easy to get a passable recorded tone.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

I love that every Ibanez is named after some gundam prototype or something.

DrChu
May 14, 2002

Slothful Bong posted:

lol this is great, I just bought an EHB1505MS myself! Got to compare it against the EHB1005MS - they both played similarly, the 1005 was a little lighter, but I liked the look of the 1505 more and the Nordstrand pickups were a huge leap for the music I play. Not sure that was worth $500 more tbh, but the overall quality of the bass is high so I don’t feel ripped off.

Was planning on a strandberg, but not finding a local one to play meant I wasn’t comfortable dropping $3400. This was half the cost, sounds very dingwally, has a pretty useful mid-sweep, and is light-ish. Neck seems to be straight, no obvious issues or construction fuckups. Action is around 1.5mm to 2.75mm, I’d like to go a little lower but fretwork is causing a little too much buzzing below this.

My only complaints are it needs some minor fretwork and the pickups should be much more rounded - the ramp should help when I install it, but without it I can’t find a comfortable spot to anchor my thumb.

Other thing in the pic is a Cordoba Stage electric nylon. Since I’d budgeted for a strandberg I used the extra money to grab this - it’s cool!

I’ve always wanted a Godin ever since I played their weird 11 string nylon electric years ago, but the cost and really quiet acoustic sound turned me off. When the Ibanez TODs came out I was interested, but the tone was really far from what I was looking for.

This is probably the closest I’ve found at a good price point - it’s loud enough to hear unplugged, action is very electric guitar, and the electronics are decent so it’s easy to get a passable recorded tone.

Those Nordstrand Big Splits are nice pickups. Basically Precision style without the offset. I listened to some comparisons between them and the Barts on lower end models like the 1005 and my 1265 and that neck pickup is real clear and solid. A set costs over $300, so if you were going to upgrade anyway the price difference doesn't mean that much.

DrChu fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Feb 7, 2024

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Decided it was time for a neck pickup but didn’t want to ruin the stock pickguard.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

That's a beauty of a pick guard you made there. Wowza!

Kind of perversely want to see a nano kaoss pad on there too.

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
New to me 44 year old bass day

Hondo Professional H-1015, made in Japan. First impression, my back hurts.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

That’s “tone spine,” son. :dukedog:

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Oh hey, are we doing headless instrument chat itt?

Strandberg is the newest, I grabbed the Ibanez a few months back. Both were purchased in an effort to fight some of my connective tissue issues through ergonomics and holy poo poo are they both huge upgrades in that regard. I was playing a Sire MM V7 fretless 5-string and a Jackson Dinky and the new additions are just miles ahead in terms of playability and comfort. The classical position cutaway on the Strandberg is particularly nice, and while I know they're a bit divisive I find the neck shape absolutely incredibly for encouraging good form and technique. They also look absolutely cool as gently caress in a very retro-future kinda way, so I'm well chuffed about the whole thing. Might change out the pickups in the Ibanez at some point, no matter how I dial things in they still sound a bit too dark for a lot of applications.

widefault
Mar 16, 2009

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

That’s “tone spine,” son. :dukedog:

9.8 pounds of it. But at least I have one more of the "Vantage" knock-offs from the Made in Japan Professional line.

FYI, that one now has the neck pickup in the bridge, and a DiMarzio PAF in the neck. That creme pickup turned out to be one of the Samick-special DiMarzio K10s, which they apparently used in the Professional line, too, and the bridge pickup in the pic turned out to be an 80s Super Distortion.

DrChu
May 14, 2002

Sockington posted:

Decided it was time for a neck pickup but didn’t want to ruin the stock pickguard.

For a second I thought you were mocking up a sliding pickup like a Gibson Grabber.

Modal Auxiliary posted:

Might change out the pickups in the Ibanez at some point, no matter how I dial things in they still sound a bit too dark for a lot of applications.
If you don't care about keeping a similar level output between active and passive modes, on most of these preamps there's a +6DB connection you just need to move one connector to (no soldering, just unplug and replug in) that should give you more headroom.

DrChu fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Feb 8, 2024

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

widefault posted:

9.8 pounds of it. But at least I have one more of the "Vantage" knock-offs from the Made in Japan Professional line.

FYI, that one now has the neck pickup in the bridge, and a DiMarzio PAF in the neck. That creme pickup turned out to be one of the Samick-special DiMarzio K10s, which they apparently used in the Professional line, too, and the bridge pickup in the pic turned out to be an 80s Super Distortion.

That thing slays. Very cool! I want to play stoner riffs with it and pretend im Josh Homme.

I am ob-sessed with those Samick Dimarzios, all 3 types (regular, bold and picante... 8-ish, 10-ish and 15-ish kOhm respectively). I actually am not a fan of Dimarzios usually but I played my friend's double-cut Samick one time and it sounded so good I bought the pickup out of his guitar where it is my main guitar's bridge pickup to this day. All 3 sets sound good so I suspect Larry found a good asymmetric turn ratio for the coils and scaled that ratio for clones of a PAF, an overwound PAF and a JB with something 'extra' going on I haven't quite identified. I believe somewhere online someone theorized the 15k pickup is the aborted EVH-Dimarzio project that was never officially released. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Dang It Bhabhi! fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Feb 8, 2024

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

I dig how grimy and round that guitar is. See also T-60s

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
A nice tolex covered case

With this inside

Note that it is form fit on the bottom, it is the original case.

Mid-80s Made in Japan Squier Katana that has been the victim of a spray can and headstock modification

From the nice, pointy Katana headstock an Ibanez knock-off

For reference

Because of course I have one already

Price was good, not great for the condition, but the case itself is almost worth what I paid. The case will be cleaned up and will get the white one stored inside. The black one will be cleaned up, with an attempt to removed the spray paint and the "patina" on everything. Might keep, might mod, might flip. Haven't decided yet.

Makes me itchy.

widefault fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Feb 10, 2024

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
Bought this Korg Poly 800 through Buyee for AUD$80:

Seems to be working, but annoyingly it's an early model without an internal coin battery or the dedicated space for it. Which means soldering or C cells to hold the presets.

Handily, the tape noise for the presets is easily found on YouTube. What an age we live in.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

If C cells are a pain / expensive, grab some Ni/mh rechargeable AA cells and a pack of holders
https://www.amazon.ca/Battery-Sacko...01c598cc0c&th=1
I use them in my cat feeder. Only thing I have that takes Cs and they're pricey. I get months out of a set of AAs.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
I may just do that. I've heaps of rechargeable AA's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
And a Clownburst late 70s Hondo with DiMarzios

But see all the little marks? Body is covered in that, too.

Bolt-on neck, plywood body