Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Engine Fortegue
Feb 1, 2004

strap me down they must sedate me

poke me prod me irritate me

The Dark Wind posted:

Any heavily important tips that I might want to keep in mind while fiddling around, or is it all just mess around and play with it? I'll have most of tomorrow to try it out, provided it doesn't arrive too late during the day.

I'd recommend going through all the presets a few times before you start messin' with 'em, that was half the fun for me, but other than that just be sure to not accidentally save some lovely effect over a preset you like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlossMan
Oct 19, 2005

No, I can't. Too much hair.

Engine Fortegue posted:

The optional foot-board is worth every penny.

The man cannot stress this enough. I bought the FBV Express, and it's invaluable. The Shortboard is, in my opinion, a mite bit too expensive.

Uncle Caveman
Jun 16, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

anarmyofnone posted:

Hello Kitty Strat

I posted this a while ago, but you could get creative with some paint markers:

The Stizzle
Jul 20, 2002
Just installed my Planet Waves locking/self-trimming tuners on my Edwards. I was too hyped to post pics during the action.
I had to pull the old tuners out, which involved 12 phillips screws, and slowly working out the tuning ferrules with a punch (and not punching it out, working it out with a circular motion). The tuners were vintage button-type, and some of the mounting holes were a hair off, so I used the tried and true method of toothpicks and wood glue to plug up the old holes. I then had to re-drill the holes for the tuning posts using a 25/64" bit. I ran the drill in reverse as to not have the bit grab the wood and tear the poo poo out of it and get off center. After drilling, cleaned up the holes, and made sure my posts fit. Threaded the washer and nut on the post ont he face of the headstock. Lined up my tuners square with the headstock, and redrilled the holes for the phillips screws on the back. Made sure to mark my drill bit for depth so I drilled the hole to the exact depth needed, and not through the face of the headstock.

*clicky for biggy*

It feels good to not pay someone to do this. $33 for the tuners (have a friend that gives me smokin' deals on gear and parts), and that's it. I'll eventually plug the extra holes up and match the color.

Next is new bridge pickup and an adjustable stop tailpiece.

Archr5
Sep 26, 2003

Trying desperately to be popular since 1982.
Cheap guitar #2 ahoy.

I decided the Epiphone SG Special would be saved for fun while my lessons will be taken on an accoustic.

So i had to run out and get an inexpensive acoustic!

Note the kickass skull guitar strap which i got for basically free because the dude at the store remembered that i had just bought the SG Special a few days ago.

Fufo
Apr 24, 2002

UNEXPECTED!

Mr JinX posted:

X-Mas present to myself-

Are you me? :cool:

Got those after my wife gave me this for christmas. I had been wanting a guitar for fifteen years or more. Now I only have to train my hands and fingers after some broken fingers and years of using chainsaws. My god, I never thought my hands could hurt this much.

Oathbreaker
Apr 5, 2006

by Fistgrrl
With just a bit more money:

Warwick Rockbass Corvette Classic, 5-string model.
Played it at Guitar Center. I can't believe it's only $600, if you didn't know it you could mistake it for a $1500-$2000 bass.
It's gonna be my first five string, so it might be a bit bumpy at first but I can't wait.

Sexual Lorax
Mar 17, 2004

HERE'S TO FUCKING

Fun Shoe

M-Audio MIDISPORT 1x1 1-In 1-Out USB Bus-Powered MIDI Interface

Respect. :laugh:

My wife has had a big Kawai electric piano since she was a kid. When we moved it into our house a few years ago, I noticed MIDI ports on the back and said something along the lines of "Holy poo poo, this thing talks MIDI?"

I finally bought a cheap little interface so it can talk to my laptop, and I've spent the last couple days making very strange noises through Propellerhead's Reason software. My wife, to her credit, has kept her eye-rolling to a minimum.

lovely ELECTRONIC MUSIC, HERE I COME.

intense stare
Nov 2, 2006

unclean spirits went out, and entered into the swine, and the herd ran violently down a steep place into the sea, they were two thousand; and were choked in the sea

Fender Esquire Reissue (2005)

Very nice and bright, sounds horrible distorted but that's not what I use it for. It's a lovely guitar, I've got it tuned down 1 & 1/2 tones for a nice low twang

Walter
Jul 3, 2003

We think they're great. In a grand, mystical, neopolitical sense, these guys have a real message in their music. They don't, however, have neat names like me and Bono.
Edit: nm.

Walter fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Jan 24, 2007

Papa Cripclips
Jan 5, 2007

by Lowtax
Roland JP-80x0 to arrive tomorrow. Holy poo poo, I'm giddy. Pixxxx to come.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

anarmyofnone posted:

Bought the Hello Kitty a few months ago; laugh all you want, after redoing the hardware, wiring, and pickup, this thing is gonna be sweet (and cheap).

Ordered the Ibanez this morning, I've wanted one of these for a while, and the price just dropped.

I used to have an Ibanez SZ520 (in blue). It was a nice guitar, you'll be happy. The only thing that I didn't care for was the lack of inlay dots. To some people it's not a big deal, but it f'ed me up sometimes. Other than that (which is a preference thing) great guitar.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Papa Cripclips posted:

Roland JP-80x0 to arrive tomorrow. Holy poo poo, I'm giddy. Pixxxx to come.

The module or the keyboard?

I received mine (the 8080) a few weeks ago, it's awesome. So awesome my Waldorf Q rack lost the battle and is going to be sold.

mofolotopo
May 10, 2004

TICK STAMPEDE!!!!

New LCD, new computer, new (extremely old) desk. This is the last time it will ever be this clean until I move.

Mr JinX
Jul 10, 2001

Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger

I just couldnt help it...I am a sucker for iconography

and here is my Artcore I posted about above (yes, pink strings)-

Papa Cripclips
Jan 5, 2007

by Lowtax

Yoozer posted:

The module or the keyboard?

I received mine (the 8080) a few weeks ago, it's awesome. So awesome my Waldorf Q rack lost the battle and is going to be sold.

I got the 8000. Mainly because I'm so cheap, I wanted 150 less than the module and not having to get an audio interface with an octave of keys is nice.

dephconn
Oct 10, 2003

Nice and cheap so I don't have to worry about it, and the tones that come out of this $100 thing are really nice. I'm not satisfied with the bridge, and I think I'm either going to buy another toploader or bite the bullet and make it a string thru body.

The neck, although unfinished, is a comfortable C shape, and the finish has no flaws that I've been able to find. Quite a deal.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Mr JinX posted:

and here is my Artcore I posted about above (yes, pink strings)-

I hate you cuz i can't find one <:mad:>

Mr JinX
Jul 10, 2001

Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger

3toes posted:

I hate you cuz i can't find one <:mad:>

http://www.musicgoround.com/ try calling them- worked better than the website
it took me about 2-3 weeks to find it though

VicariousOne
Sep 5, 2006
The Vicarious One
I'm just starting to learn guitar (been playing for a couple of weeks) so, logically, my next purchase is the

Fender Esquire Affinity Strat Pack:
http://www.squierguitars.com/products/search.php?partno=0330800595

hopefully when I get good, I will replace the pickups and get a decent amp. I've heard good things about the Squire strats.

Mst3kmann
Aug 8, 2005

FOREST WHITAKER EYE
Picked up a bunch of stuff at Guitar Center's year-end clearance:

-Not pictured: carrying bag for guitar, cable and a whammy bar for my Fender Squier
-Recording bundle including mic, software, and speakers
-Aerosmith and RHCP songbooks
-Boss distortion pedal
-Guitar strap which is attached to,
-Lefty Epiphone Les Paul

Yeah, today was a good day :)

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
This took me far far far too long I guess.

Are these too big? I hope they are not too big.

Groan Zone
Nov 21, 2004

chug-a-lug, donna

Mst3kmann posted:

Picked up a bunch of stuff at Guitar Center's year-end clearance:

-Not pictured: carrying bag for guitar, cable and a whammy bar for my Fender Squier
-Recording bundle including mic, software, and speakers
-Aerosmith and RHCP songbooks
-Boss distortion pedal
-Guitar strap which is attached to,
-Lefty Epiphone Les Paul

Yeah, today was a good day :)

How much did that Les Paul end up being and how are you liking it? I'm looking to get the EXACT same one. Except a righty.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

fwoompf posted:

We still need to hear it you doof!

Craiglen
Sep 2, 2006
I have no idea why, but I get a headache when I look at a left handed guitar.

mofolotopo
May 10, 2004

TICK STAMPEDE!!!!

Craiglen posted:

I have no idea why, but I get a headache when I look at a left handed guitar.

Left handed guitars are scanners. It's a widely known fact.

Uncle Caveman
Jun 16, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Craiglen posted:

I get a headache when I look at a left handed guitar.

Imagine a lefty guitarist playing a right-handed reverse Firebird on the same stage as a righty guitarist playing a left-handed non-reverse 'bird. :psypop:

Mst3kmann
Aug 8, 2005

FOREST WHITAKER EYE

ryju posted:

How much did that Les Paul end up being and how are you liking it? I'm looking to get the EXACT same one. Except a righty.

It was $250, and it is quite nice. It sounds amazing with the distortion pedal. Definitely worth it.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

dephconn posted:

Nice and cheap so I don't have to worry about it, and the tones that come out of this $100 thing are really nice. I'm not satisfied with the bridge, and I think I'm either going to buy another toploader or bite the bullet and make it a string thru body.

The neck, although unfinished, is a comfortable C shape, and the finish has no flaws that I've been able to find. Quite a deal.

These guitars are fun. I've modified the hell out of mine and I had to shim the neck to make it playable, but it's still one hell of a guitar, eh?

PoorPeteBest
Oct 13, 2005

We're not hitchhiking anymore! We're riding!
My Artcore finally arrived! Huzzah:

dephconn
Oct 10, 2003

Handen posted:

These guitars are fun. I've modified the hell out of mine and I had to shim the neck to make it playable, but it's still one hell of a guitar, eh?

Yea I just ordered the ferrules from stewmac, and as soon as they come in I'm converting it to string-thru. This thing really is alot of fun.

FlossMan
Oct 19, 2005

No, I can't. Too much hair.

Uncle Caveman posted:

Imagine a lefty guitarist playing a right-handed reverse Firebird on the same stage as a righty guitarist playing a left-handed non-reverse 'bird. :psypop:

That, my friends, is what the face of God would look like.

Hand Banana
Jan 27, 2007
Tonight... You...

My baby...

Jagdhippo
Feb 5, 2006

"That's just his way of saying 'Hello!', dear."

PoorPeteBest posted:

I've always been curious about this, do the fret inlays actually display something or is it a bunch of random color?

Owsla
Aug 31, 2003

Where are my bitches?

fwoompf posted:

It was worth the wait. Very beautiful man, congratulations!

PoorPeteBest posted:

What's your take on it so far? I love mine so much. :guitar:

Jagdhippo posted:

I've always been curious about this, do the fret inlays actually display something or is it a bunch of random color?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abalone

Short version: It's just random colors.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Owsla posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abalone

Short version: It's just random colors.

Many of them are mother of pearl.

Owsla
Aug 31, 2003

Where are my bitches?
Oh definitely and interesting that you say that because on the AS83 he was asking about it's got both (mother of pearl outlining the abalone) :c00lbert:

Jagdhippo
Feb 5, 2006

"That's just his way of saying 'Hello!', dear."

Owsla posted:

Oh definitely and interesting that you say that because on the AS83 he was asking about it's got both (mother of pearl outlining the abalone) :c00lbert:
Well I am more interested in the AGS and I'm a sucker for pretty inlays.

krisis
Oct 25, 2003

i have a light case of asparagus.
Seeing how awesome RSPsych0's Les Paul looked, I decided to check some of them out at the local guitar shop.

Ended up buying a black Epiphone Les Paul standard

I'm considering getting rid of the pickguard, but i can't figure out how to do it without leaving a nasty hole near the neck pickup.

Sorry about the lovely camphone picture.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crok
Jul 21, 2001

avenge me - signed, twisty

krisis posted:

I'm considering getting rid of the pickguard, but i can't figure out how to do it without leaving a nasty hole near the neck pickup.

but the pickguard makes it look so sexy :(