Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

hexwren posted:

having never heard of harley benton before, I honestly think one of theirs is going to be my next guitar, because holy crap, those prices - even if they're cheaply built, a 12-string for a couple hundo is real nice. thanks for the heads up

Harley Benton is Thomann's store brand, with Thomann being the biggest music retailer in Europe. I think their massive scale and interest in getting new players hooked means that their quality is generally pretty good, not amazing, but beyond what you would expect from the prices. At least I hear a lot more positive than negative surprise reactions from people who buy them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

That is tacky in all the right ways, I absolutely love it!

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

weed cat posted:

How is the Suhr different from one of those pedals that's supposed to emulate a speaker cab, or a plugin amp vst? It's that you're using the real amp head? So you can do the equivalent of diming a twin or marshall or something without making a ton of noise?

Exactly that. It lets you crank everything and basically eats the force of the load which would destroy you sound card/computer normally. This allows you to play a dimed plexi at comfortable bedroom levels but with all the great sound of the tubes under full stress.

Basically, it's the bluesdad way of avoiding modelling amps :p

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

GreatGreen posted:

lol I should have just said this. That would have been enough.

Long technical expectations kick rear end, thank you for explaining it properly!

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

It looks like a 6 string solidbidy ubass for don't reason...

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

I bought this thing Monday:

It's a Squier Paranormal something, basically a Tele with a jazzmaster body and a C shape neck. It sounds like I always wanted a Tele to sound and I love it. It plays good too, but it helps that the shop where I bought it is a cool place that set it up. And also included a checkup sheet three months.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Carth Dookie posted:

Somebody please stage an intervention. I am sick and need help.

Do not intervene in this person's life, they make good choices. Sell whatever kids you have.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

That is awesome in a dumb way! I'm envious! Please tell me you're playing brutal deathgrind on it!

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

widefault posted:

And day two of purchases brings this

Squier Paranormal Offset Tele. Apparently they discontinued all the Paranormal models, so they were actually limited edition after all.

I have it in the brown see through finish. It's a good tele that looks and hangs great! Congratulations!

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

petit choux posted:

I posted this in the wrong thread, maybe, but I'll do it here, I just got my new pedal board:

ED: the main drawback is how handy it is for other stuff once you've gotten it.

This is what post-shoegaze looks like.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Rock Paper Tongue posted:

I've been wanting to try out a sitar or a shamisen, but they're not exactly plentiful here in Arizona. I did find this Danelectro sitar from Sweetwater, and I also found this guy selling shamisens out of California. Does anyone have any experience with either of these, or any advice about where I I should be looking?

No idea where to look, I don't think Thomann ships to the colonies unfortunately. If they do, they have all the stuff though.

Of the two linked, they are pretty different depending on what you actually want. If you play guitar and want hassle free Indian sounds, or just weird sounds with effects, the sitar, which, as mentioned, is more of a guitar is probably right. But if you want to try out an essentially alien instrument with weird tunings and new techniques, it's not. For instance, I think a proper sitar is "scalloped", or more accurately doesn't have what we think of as a fretboard.

Edit: gently caress, now i want a sitar.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

hexwren posted:

I'm gonna be honest, I just spent like ten-fifteen minutes looking at the site for that EYB sitar bridge and I can't make heads or tails of how it works. I looked at the video - it just seems to be a bridge you mount pretty high so the strings are way the gently caress up from the frets? there's no sympathetic strings at all? "The sitar sound is produced mechanically by the strings on the bridge." what am I even looking at?

Sitar sound has two main components compared to a guitar: one is the sympathetic strings as you mentioned, but the other is the aforementioned buzz bridge, which in my opinion is the more characteristic sound. I think it's a flat surface touching the vibrating strings, giving it a different sound than regular fret buzz.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

betterinsodapop posted:

Scratched pickguard is GOOD. Now it's RELIC'd!

This but unironically.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

LooksLikeABabyRat posted:

Yeah it’s an air adio. It’s a 50 watt lunchbox sized modeling amp. Runs off of batteries if you want. I use it as a portable speaker sometimes.

My Yamaha thr10iiw doubles as portable speaker as well. It's pretty cool to have both in one device, even if it is larger than other portable speakers.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

brushwad posted:

New gear today -- Vox AC10C1 Limited Edition Two-Tone Combo:

Vox makes beautiful amps. They're just miles ahead of everyone else in terms of looking classy. They also tend to sound good. Congratulations!

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

petit choux posted:

I was gonna say no, not that kind of tube but you know what, just be yourself. Stick it right in there.

You should probably get someone to help you make it a vacuum tube though :wink:

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

petit choux posted:

Be a Winner!

That's the double-neck. But still, be a vinner! Play some Children of Bodom on it!

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

That, and if the guitar breaks, it's time for a new one. Gibson is way ahead on planned obsolescence.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

You had me at built in Leslie. That's the good stuff.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Dzus posted:

You got it! The all rosewood neck feels awesome with a little bit of wax, I've heard awful things about the pickups but I think they sound great.

The what now neck? I need more pictures. For reasons unrelated to the very large erection I am currently having. The pink and rosewood headstock is enough on it's own, but i really wanna see that neck too!

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Dzus posted:

You got it.

It did have some small little issues to iron out, a fret dot was high and there was some excess glue around the skunk stripe. Nothing some steel wool couldn't fix though. I've seen some people have issues with the frets pushing or needing a level, I'm a little surprised that more stores don't have their techs go over a $1500+ guitar for a quick and dirty setup/fret dressing before it goes on the wall, but hey.

I also grabbed a picture pretty representative of the paint on it.

I picked it up on clearance, and guitar center being guitar center lost all the paperwork and the special half-ashtray bridge cover I'll never use.

Absolutely beautiful. I would never think of a soft pink with rosewood neck, but it works! And now I want my own neck like that...

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

It's probably a fine way to ship in bulk, but less so for individual shipping where the carrier can and will play football with it (I have worked as a mailman and I am not exaggerating).
The retailer should have repackaged it though.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

I am also extremely jealous. My wife however appreciates me not having one of those. Definitely keep us posted as you learn about it.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

This may be a stupid question, but is your average tone pot actually just a treble cut, or is there something more going on?

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

widefault posted:

Belated B-Day gift to myself

Hondo Deluxe Series 766 V with a Seymour Duncan Black Winter in the bridge. Kinda think it needs the hardware swapped for black.

It's awesome, and yeah, black hardware is the way to go. I really like guitars with super simple controls, like this.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Verman posted:

I've really wanted to try those. I'm curious if they still have the tele spank ... I can't see why they wouldn't.

I have one in clear brown, and yeah, it's a Tele in all but shape. So unless you mean the way you can literally spank someone with a telecaster, yeah, it's got the stuff. It's a hecking cool guitar, in yellow too!

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Yeah, that looks amazing

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Looking forward to the harp daughter getting into hardcore punk on harp. I bet it would also be oddly suitable for black metal.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Pickguards are grossly mislabeled, especially in the case of Vs. They're mostly there to hide all the routing. I think a lot of guitars look better without guard.

Speaking of wiring: letting my kids (6 and 0) play with my hollowbody finally resulted in me having to reattach the jack. I will never replace anything on that guitar, because that poo poo is annoying.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

A P bass is just an incredibly simple thing at heart, it works as just two pieces of wood (or three I guess) and a simple pickup that can just be wound coils and magnets. The traditional reason USA instruments were better was that the luthiers were actually skilled, but with modern cutting technology, that's largely irrelevant (and also less true because of Society). This means that your cheap Chinese model is likely to be absolutely top shape. The main thing you're not getting is tone wood and fancy hardware, and those are hardly necessary for a good instrument. Oh, and quality control, so you're more likely to get a dud Chinese model, but that's solved by trying before buying.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Tone wood is a scam though. Just notice how it's always the exotic expensive wood that's supposedly best.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Tone wise, definitely the gold. Just be sure to get actual gold, not gold plated or whatever.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Pretty sick Hondo! It also amuses me to think of Ibanez suing another company for copying their design. I get that they moved on from that, but it was fairly recently at that point.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

A telecaster is just a pretty simple thing, and getting machines to just spit them out has become pretty feasible. A pickup can be literally just copper wire around some magnets, body and neck are just slaps of wood that need to fit together and not be crooked. Pots and hardware aren't hard to make either, and the production cost is probably not high even for solid quality.

The future is now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

TheKub posted:

I've been experimenting a little. Behold my shame! I'm a piper now.

Congratulations Mr Picard, and good luck!

I have a super hard time with the limitations of not having all the notes. I got my kid a xylophone in C major, and I just want a B flat or F sharp sometimes.