Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

sigtrap posted:

And that impostor MS2000R might soon get the boot.

I want it.

... Actually, I want that Prophet08, but I'll settle for the 2000R.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I know I'm a little late to the "yay Christmas" train, but yay Christmas!

M-Audio Axiom 49 MIDI Controller

Hey, I got one too! Haven't had a chance to use it yet, though.

I also bought myself an Audio-Technica AT3035, Shure SM57, cables and a stand with some gift money.

No pics yet, though - I'm waiting until the big gift comes in - a drum kit. *stupid grin*

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Operator posted:

ProjectMix

It sounds like you already do, but I came here to inform you that you're really going to enjoy that thing.

I sourced one for the 'recording studio' (read: closet with Apex 'condenser mic pack' and a couple SM58s, and egg cartons on the walls) that I helped start and run at a... sigh, summer camp. Alas, it brightened my generally horrible days there - and this was when I didn't really know poo poo all about ProTools except for bussing. To be honest, I never got deep enough into the unit, but even just having the entire mix window at your fingertips plus the hotkeys for nudge and stuff was mindblowing to me. I remember the preamps were decent, around what you'd expect from a DAW control surface/8-input converter. FireWire is nice, even if your employer insists on getting a factory PC and installing a FW card in it. ugh, rant/comment off

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Handen posted:

Cons: Not a lot of drummers that I know are into drum'n'bass, breakbeats or electronic music in general and might hate the steady *kick-snare-kick-snare* aspect. But I'd really like some Orange Goblin-esque breakdowns so I'm leaning towards an actual drummer.

I don't mean to come off as overzealous but I could be this drummer for you - I'm just not fast enough (yet) to play some D&B but I love the stuff and love making it, and endlessly tweaking synths in Reason (i've also got some Ableton experience), and playing drums to it amongst other 'electronica' that I shouldn't be playing drums to. You also seem in a bit of a lovely bind (the work/school thing) which is a shame; I could get behind this idea 100% if we were in the same area. In conclusion: Unless you hate Ontario, move to London, come to Fanshawe and we'll make rockin' tunes together. In any case, I wish you the best of luck because your ideas are entirely awesome and I hope you post lots of youtube videos when it's all set up.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
So I finally borrowed my roommate's camera to take a pic of my current 'station'. The Virus TI2, APC40 and LaCie drive are the latest addition to it all; had the monitors for about a year and Live about the same - can't even remember when I bought the MBOX. I've been in the dumps lately with no musical creativity so it hardly gets used, but as you can see I'm posting some sounds for a school project right there. Next on the itinerary is an SSL Duende, then either a Digi003+ or some other interface. Plus, finally upgrade to ProTools LE8 and grab a (legit) copy of Reason 4.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

usualhandle posted:

thas nice but...

How in the fuk are you gonna gig w/ it?

Deadmau5 doesn't seem to have a problem.

For the record, I am insanely jealous of your Buchla and definitely aspire to own one. And I just bought a Virus TI2.

Not my pic, but I just got a sweet deal on an SSL Duende Mini (under $450CAD with every unlock). Just waiting for the authorization codes from tech support. Anybody have experience with this little box? I only got to hear it in action briefly but I was pretty sold, especially considering the deal.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
A bit late on this one, but I finally bought a pair of 1200s.

And a second laptop.

I wish I had more hands.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I posted a tease pic in the Synth thread but here are my new Roland TR8 and TB3, integrated into my Ableton setup. They (and some banks of loops in Ableton) run into separate channels of my DJ mixer and there's some send-return fuckery going on in Live for some simple effects alongside the KP3; the goal is to have a flexible live-jamming setup with a DJ, or my roommate and his guitar looper. I haven't tried the latter yet, but jamming on top of DJ sets is pretty fun.

And yes, I will get around to posting some live jams. As soon as I get good at it and program some of my own patterns.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
While we're on this topic, since I'm really pushing myself to actually do some performing with this gear - anybody have any experience using a pedalboard for gear like mine? Most of the time I'll probably run a simplified setup that terminates with a stereo output from my A10, but it's still a lot of RCA, 1/4", MIDI and AC cables to deal with and I hate being 'that guy' pulling/plugging cables in the middle of some poor sap's DJ set. I've noticed a lot of these pedalboards come with power outlets, and frankly the ease of having everything in the same place and wired ready-to-go is hell of appealing to me. I'd need to find a pedalboard big enough, though.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I was thinking about doing some carpentry, yeah. Thanks for the insight! I guess the important thing is to buy some male/female Velcro and just stick the gear to it that way?

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
New synthesizer, for playing out live!

I need more desk space :(

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Not really an instrument purchase, but I just moved into a new, more spacious apartment. This is basically where my studio is at right now, except I've shuffled around some of the DJ/beatlab gear to fit my second laptop on the table, and I sit on a yoga ball instead of that ugly, uncomfortable chair. I need a stand for the UltraNova and a micstand for my talkbox and vocoder and I'm set. Oh, and some acoustic treatment for the walls and maybe a carpet.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
The other day I sold my Virus TI2 Keyboard. I don't _really_ play keys and I already have the UltraNova and Push so having a 61-key board in front of me all the time was definitely overkill. Couldn't part with the sound of the Virus (or the TI plugin) though, so I went to L&M and grabbed the Desktop version for basically the same price I sold the Keyboard. Here it is happily integrated into my desk setup alongside the UltraNova, Push and Banshee talkbox.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I bought some gear but I'm having it shipped to another state to dodge sales tax so it might be a while before I see it. So sorry for the stock photos.

x1800 & SC5000

Nice! Echoing MrSargent here, definitely follow up in the DJ thread when you play around with these a bit. I was thinking about pulling the trigger on a pair of the SC5000s earlier this month but I heard conflicting answers to "will they Link with the Pioneer gear?" I'm so used to the CDJ layout (even if Rekordbox can suck both of my dicks) that I just ended up grabbing another pair of 2000s. I would still absolutely switch though if these things turn out to be great.

As for me, I copped a LOT of gear this season, due to an unexpected windfall (a life insurance payout from a close relative). I'll post pics of everything here once it's all arrived and set up. Stay tuned, or don't.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I've always wanted one of these and a big local producer just put his up for sale. It's fully expanded, eight outs, FX card, CF reader and everything. Time to install 2KXL and watch hours of tutorial videos, also completely redo my I/O configuration.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
xpost from the Audio Interface thread. I bought an MPC2000XL with the output expansion card, so natch I needed more inputs, so I bought a Focusrite OctoPre. Spent a few hours last night tearing my studio up and putting it back together again. Not pictured: 36TB RAID enclosure and USB3 PCI card I also recently bought and put together during the studio rebuild.

now to jump back into making musichahahahahaahaha

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Ampeg BA210. It's... big. I don't know what I expected. So far, this is the only way it fits in my room.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Went to the L&M Attic Sale yesterday morning. I was hoping to pick up a pair of CDJ2000Nexus, they had a few of them at a loving great price ($999, which is like more than half off). Unfortunately I slept in - should have just stayed up and gotten in line at like 2:30AM like some of the hardcore patrons - and didn't get there until 8:30. I was in line for three hours, made some new friends, chatted music and passed around some green. Once I finally got inside, unfortunately the last of the Nexus models were sold, but since I'm not walking out of there empty-handed I sprung the extra cash (still a steal at $1800 but not nearly as good a deal) for the CDJ2000NXS2 models. Now I have to sell my legacy 2000s.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Not really a new purchase (although I did get the WildKat back from the shop and the busted pickup is all fixed) but I saved some space by putting up these Hercules wall mounts.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
When the weather gets nice, I'm going portable.

This was my intention last year with the Traps A400 portable drum kit I picked up but it proved to be a bit too heavy to carry across the street to the park. This one is significantly lighter, although taking into account hardware it's still probably going to be two trips across the road. Even if it stays in my room hopefully I can use it to record some breakbeats of my own and experiment with the microphones I have but never loving use. I only dabble in guitar and bass but the Pignose will be useful in getting friends out to jam.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I bought another Technics SL-1200mk2 and did some carpentry to fit everything together. Behold, the CIC Tactical station in its new form.

It's still not quite as I'd like it (the laptop on the left is kind of in an awkward position right up against the acoustic treatment). Real estate in this room is becoming quite scarce in this room. The DJM900NXS2 mixer is also new, so I'm selling my NI Audio10 interface (since the DJM has dual audio interfaces) and some other gear like a Traktor F1, old Akai APC40, etc...

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

This is pretty great but I think I'd prefer swapping 2 of the CDJ's for the 1200's and put the cdj's in the back up at an angle.

I use the CDJs more these days than anything else on that table, and quite honestly I literally don't even have the space. You can see the laptop on the left is uncomfortably stuffed against the acoustic treatment and not properly-angled, and I had to sadly get rid of my Traktor F1 in between the 1200s in order to fit everything the way it does right now. And that's having built a raised platform for the 1200s + laptops that's a whole six inches wider than the table everything is sitting on.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
The nice thing about selling classic gear like an MPC2000XL is that it holds its value. I basically got exactly what I paid for it, and with the dosh I was able to buy an MPC One. I sort of realized that I've been spoiled by DAWs with things like 'slice to MIDI note' features, and far too lazy to go back and learn the classic way to tweak breakbeats and other loops. I splurged on the LaunchPad Pro and FaderPort as well because A: my Ableton Push poo poo the bed and B: I've always wanted a motorized fader. Gonna put in some time this afternoon learning my way around the One.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

former glory posted:

I'm on Reaper. I think you guys hit it with "freezing." I call it flatten, like photoshop layers, but that looks like the exact analogue in a DAW. I'll also check the levels. I meant to post this in the guitars thread and got distracted while trying to juggle making pancakes and posting at the same time. :v:

Not sure how Reaper handles it, but there is a distinction between 'freezing' and 'flattening,' at least in Ableton. Freezing is temporary and can be reversed, flattening is the extra step that is destructive and 'burns' all of your plugins, automation etc. down into an audio track.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

widefault posted:

So if I buy your band's old bass drum, and it has your artwork and band name still on it, now I own that, right, RIGHT?

Lmao this is the best thing in the thread.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Cabbages and Kings posted:

I only own this because a friend sent it in exchange for a $170 donation to charity once I test it to make sure it all actually works but :staredog: -- A&H Xone4D, since I see I covered that up

credit-card sized arturia thing for scale.

Cool! I was always really curious to see how the controller sections mapped to stuff when these things used to be all the rage among 'somewhere between a dj and a live pa act' guys like Deadmau5. Maybe pop over to the dj thread and let us know how they feel!

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Captain Splendid posted:

Justified by a work promotion

sweet strat

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Not exactly a purchase, but I just got a new job in sales at a very large music gear retailer. I haven't started working the floor yet, just finished level 1 training at their headquarters. But one part of the training/indoctrination course was visiting the factory floor of their sister company, Yorkville Sound. It's very cool to see a PA company that is, from the ground up, a Canadian operation. No 'assembled in CAN (from parts made in Taiwan)', virtually everything Yorkville manufactures is done in-house. I got some pics.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Those Traynor amps were the exact ones that Lee and Lifeson used for the 'vintage' part of the R40 tour, apparently. The other Traynor belonged to a guitarist who got hired by Prince, I can't recall their name though. Of course I had to play the RUSH pinball table.

The coolest part of the tour was that torture test chamber you can see the subwoofer in in the third- or fourth-last pic. They torture test new prototypes for _seventeen straight days_ at full program volume, and that thing that looks like a mic on the cone is actually a laser - it's there to measure driver excursion so they can pinpoint exactly how and when the speaker fails. The room is floating, two layers of cinderblock walls with sand poured in between them. It's obviously not fully soundproof but it's remarkable how quiet it is when you compare it with the door open. They said they built the room after they left a dual 21" sub to test on the floor over a weekend, and by Saturday morning they'd received >30 noise complaints from people across the highway whose foundations were shaking.

Mister Speaker fucked around with this message at 06:08 on May 7, 2023

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Sockington posted:

If you scroll up, I’ve got a bit of a Traynor museum of myself - including the rare keyboard version of the TS series.

I assume you’ve read the Yorkville company history pdf that’s a few years old (up till 1991 covered)

https://medias.audiofanzine.com/files/yorkvillehistory-471231.pdf

That’s cool we have a man on the inside. Tell them they need to release the TS preamp in a pedal format because that’s an untapped market. There’s companies using their circuit and Yorkville is like “cool thanks” (rusty box).

I saw your post, actually it was someone else mentioning your Traynor amps that reminded me to make that photo dump from the factory. Yep, the Yorkville/Traynor/Long&McQuade History was one of the first things we went over in the course, and yeah I also didn't know until a couple of years ago that they're all basically the same company. Really beautiful stuff, I mean just about as heartwarming as a story of a corporation can be. And you can still tell (on just about every level, from the training staff to the guys who gave us the Yorkville tour and joked around with their coworkers at each stop) that it's very much a labour of love by musicians and music lovers. Plus, I'm actually working at a job with health benefits now, as well as some fuckin' clutch perks like dirt-cheap rentals and financing, and encouraged equipment loans. It's a daunting shift from the Wild West Hospitality Industry, but I'm stoked to have made it because it feels like a place to grow.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
No original pics but I just scored a FREE tube preamp/compressor/EQ. It's an ART ProChannel, first generation:

Nothing to write home about, obviously, and unfortunately the VU meter isn't working correctly (it moves but not much, and switching on the comp doesn't put it in GR mode, which is sad because I love seeing that backwards-bouncing needle). BUT, I am super stoked that it fell into my lap. A guy came into my work this morning with a whole bunch of ancient gear - a Panasonic DAT recorder, some old SCSI drives, some wireless mics, a NanoCompressor, even a little Dell laptop... and I felt terrible going through all of it and being like "sorry, we won't buy this off you, it's too old to warranty (or we'll just straight-up never be able to sell it)." He shrugged and went "well, do you guys donate or dispose of old electronics? I'd rather not take this back out to my car." And I said I'd buy the comp off him privately (something I'm not supposed to talk about at work but I figured since we weren't going to buy it, it's fair game) and he just said "just take it, it's yours."

So anyway I'm pretty stoked about it even if its VU meter doesn't work (the segmented LEDs still do) and it's not a great preamp anyway... because I'm going to gift it to my friends who run karaoke. They've been riding the gain for too long, hopefully this gives them some relief.

Oh yeah, and the weirdest electronic thing the guy gave us to dispose of was a handheld metal detector wand like airport security would use. You bet I took that home too.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Mackie VLZs are great. We had a used 1604 pass through my work and I really wanted to buy it, it was in great shape and only like $300. I used to sit on the subway browsing the Mackie catalogue when I was a kid who knew nothing except that the Chemical Brothers used one of their consoles on stage.

Where does the term 'RUDE SOLO' come from? I know it's just an indicator light that something somewhere is solo'd but but the term is hilarious for some reason.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE posted:

Guitars with plumber’s crack

Thread title

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I done bought another short-scale bass.

It's a Music Man Stingray, of course. Going to really make some effort to learn the thing this time, since buddy I lent my last one to seems to have no intention of working on tunes with me. You can only rely on yourself, etc. Anyway I'm excited, it's a real pretty bass.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Those guitars always look to me like a moose took a bite out of them. I bet it plays like a dream though.

E:f;b with a better animal

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Focusrite Scarlett Solo (although I'd just spend the extra $80 and get the 2i2) and an Xvive U2 guitar transmitter/receiver system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Armacham posted:

Everything is either a rat or a tube screamer, don't at me

All guitars are Strats - except for Strats, which are Lé Pauls.