Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

Thorpe posted:

A year or so ago I had a multieffects thing that I didn't use all too often. Then one day I thought "huh, I need a pedalboard". So I sold a lot of stuff I had laying around and started building this monstrosity. I like it a lot. I have a problem.

Do you have two of the same amp?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

Thorpe posted:

Yeah, they are fender rumble 100s. Great little amps. Plenty loud for small to medium sized rooms and just over 20lbs weight wise.

I've got the same one, actually, and I quite like it. But mine is a lone wolf.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
I ordered a used Durham Electronics Sex Drive.

It's a compressor and clean boost/transparent overdrive with a very strong reputation. A subtle, "always on" kind of pedal. Going to use it on bass to add some punch and a just a hint of breakup. Also the name is great.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

The Science Goy posted:

Does it have any issues with tone suck when compressing? I have a compulsive "clean blend" requirement for all of my bass gear to make sure the low end does not get compromised.

My most similar pedal is an Orange Squeezer clone, but that is definitely not an always-on because it is not transparent. I use it for a solo boost and to feed a compressed signal into my Brassmaster for stupid-fat octave fuzz.

I perceive it as tightening up the low end which I suppose means it’s rolling off some deep muddy frequencies, but it’s subtle. I default to a pretty bright bass tone to begin with so it’s definitely not enough to bother me, I just might not cut the same frequencies on the amp to the same degree. A lot of bass players swear by it, including the ovnilab guy, who has exhaustive experience with bass compression and considers it among his favorites.

http://www.ovnilab.com/reviews/durham.shtml

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
Hrrrngh I thought I was done acquiring gear then someone put this on Craigslist for $400 and I am awfully tempted

I think it’s just the p bass special/deluxe passive PJ with the jazz neck, but some kind of FSR with dot inlays and the matte/satin black finish? I haven’t been able to find another example quite like it online. The headstock pic makes it look like it could maybe even be an ebony fretboard but I think it’s rosewood.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
The very same!

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
White/tortoise on Fenders owns though. Maybe not for a tele but all the other solidbodies.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
That bass would be a great piece of decor when not in use, I love it.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

ASenileAnimal posted:

i gotta remember to take advantage of this next time i want a new guitar. also remember the "relic" lines they had years ago where it was like 1k+ for a "preworn" instrument? like i imagined fender cranking out an american strat and then throwing it around the factory to ding it up a bunch and then selling it at a huge markup lol

Oh they still do that, including on stuff they’re charging 4k+ for

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
Yeah that’s rad as hell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

Cheap and cheerful. I wanted a reasonable approximation of that Neil Young & Crazy Horse “little tweed amp cranked until it’s about to explode” sound, and this scratches the itch just fine. I’m running it as a preamp into the FX return of a Fender Rumble bass amp because I’m too lazy to drag out my guitar amp, and it sounds just grand. Love this sound so much.

https://youtu.be/2bi64Y55LEU?si=h6TAuWgcsUPuDjdI

Thermos H Christ fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Apr 15, 2024