Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

It's been a little while since I actually made the purchase (and got the bridge looked at because I couldn't set it up to save my life), but now, I have my first bought-by-myself guitar. It's not high-class or anything, but I wanted a Tele (my eye was on the `72 thinline reissue), and I walked into Guitar Center telling myself I'd get myself a set of strings, maybe a new delay pedal (I still have no delay pedal - sadness), and there was this amazing thing. Sure, it's a Squier, but it's got a Bigsby installed stock. Super-delightful fun. (And then I find out later that it doesn't quite match my playing style since I make up for deficiencies with my pick-hand by strumming more than I need to, I suck.)

Nevertheless, I love this thing, and the sounds it makes.

(Photo is cropped from a shot I took of the stringed-things corner of my home studio for a family member some time back, hence everything being in 'display mode.')

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Das Butterbrot posted:

I just got the next piece for my "party-in-a-suitcase" gimmick setup :)

The KORG monotribe, a cheap ghetto 303 + analogue drumcomputer / sequencer combination that I immediately fell in love with.

Holy poo poo, and it's only $200 and change? WANT. The moment I have a job again, I am getting this.

...even though all I know about analog synthesis is TURN KNOB FOR SPACE NOISE.

(I am music history's worst criminal, yes.)

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Paramemetic posted:

Autoharp. It's badass. I'm trying to figure out music to play on it. Any ideas on what kind of folksy things I ought to learn for it? Or other things to cover ridiculously?

Thumposaurus is right. Drop-tune that fucker.

(Also goddammit, that thinline Tele is exactly the guitar I wanted for ages and ages until I realized there was no way in gently caress I was affording it and got a Squier Tele.)

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Doomy posted:

Would it hurt you to know that Squire makes thinline Telecasters with their Classic Vibe line now?

Yes and no. It hurts because those Xavieres look slick as hell and because I still do like the feel of the thinline, so the Squier would still be a cool thing, but I really have come to like my Tele, especially since it's such a weirdass model. (Stock Bigsby? non-maple fretboard? What?)

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Warcabbit posted:

The point of the Xavieres is that they're cheap enough you can go 'what the hell' and get one also.

Yeah, I see that. drat. I know you can't expect much for $150, but how do they play? When I'm finally employed again, something like that might be my gift to myself.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Sparkle Biscuit posted:

The Big Muff is so much fun. I'm sure it can do a more nuanced fuzz tone than I've got it set at now, but when I want fuzz, I want a lot. Overall, I'm extremely pleased.

You'll see a guitar Big Muff in the visible portion of my chain in the photo I posted a couple posts back. I never have any reason to take the knobs out of a position indicating that I want all the fuzz. This is an absolutely reasonable reaction.

Warcabbit posted:

It sounds good. Real good man. It plays good.

Niiiiice. Also, yeah, I'd never thought to look at smaller manufacturers, I'd always figured that it'd be the equivalent of those supercars that get built by guys in deserted office parks in the middle of England (yeah I watch Top Gear don't judge me) where you may be getting insane performance, but also will pay through the nose.

quote:

Looking at your room pic, looks like you went more or less the same way I did. SG for you, Subhuman for me, Tele for you, Telemaster for me.

Not an SG---It's actually the sad-sack Not-Really-A-Les-Paul-Anything Epiphone Special II. I was fairly down on my luck some years back, and my father bought me it, with the intent that we could end up playing together at some point---I hadn't touched a guitar in approximately a decade when he had. Now I couldn't even think to get rid of it, even though it's really not that great objectively. (Happy ending---we have played together. Sad ending---I've had to give him poo poo because he plays things wrong because he learned them wrong 40 years ago and it bugs the living poo poo out of me. Oh well!)

quote:

Seen this? $179 banjo uke. Interesting!
Madness! I would totally play something that tiny and ridiculous. Mess with people's HEADS, man...

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Manky posted:

It's like, how much more black could this be? And the answer is none. None more black.

Thank you. That simple quote has brought an unreasonably large amount of joy to my day.

And, yeah, that is a difficult decision. The black looks better because of the contrasting whites, but when I think Ricks, I always think the white hardware.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Warcabbit posted:

Do flip it so it shows tab (Low E on bottom) or you'll mess your head up, though. (Default is Low E on top.)

What?

WHAT?

When has anyone, in the anything of ever, ever put the low notes at the top of a diagram? I want to see this company's financials now---just so I know how much they spent on crack.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I love flats so much. I've got them on one of my guitars (I don't think they'd sound great on the Tele) but I probably need to get a new set. I can't remember when I last changed strings.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

communistdew posted:

My guitar just got some new friends:

Earthquaker Devices Bit Commander - basically makes your guitar sound like an analog synth. Crazy/awesome.

And I built myself a clone of a Devi Ever Shoegazer. This thing just destroys sound with both switches engaged. Lots of good/bad sounds.

Plus I got to paint the enclosure.

I want both of those so bad now. I would totally build a guitar pedal, had I a soldering iron and some time, and I can't play keyboards for poo poo, so guitar = synth freakout = very yes.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

CCCP, that haul is so good. Next guitar I get is totally going to be some sort of "so much weirdass character/people ask why the hell you have it" sort of thing.

Unless I get a bass. My band's bassist's head and cab sit here in my studio, ever so lonely...hm.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I may be being a moron, but what's a screen job?

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Ah! Very good. Carry on.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Okay, so, this may be a moronic question, but, like, let me put it out there, and if it's dumb, I'll go away. I've been following this thread mostly as a sort of Christmas catalog of interesting gadgets to lust after, and now it's time to put that all together, since my girlfriend wants to roll down to Guitar Center and buy me a new guitar pedal as a late Christmas gift. But, since she doesn't know gear, she's left it to me to pick---but at the same time, I'm not sure what I'd even want to get that A) won't break the bank and B) would actually be useful in the chain I've got going right now.

So my chain is currently...

Boss TU-2 tuner (does what it says on the tin)
Crybaby Wah (I don't wah much, so it does me fine)
EH Holy Grail reverb (more reverb than I really need since there's also a spring in my amp, mostly used for getting shoegazey)
EH Little Big Muff Pi (you know what that is)
Boss DS-1 distortion - Keeley Mod (like a regular DS-1 but moreso)
EH Electric Mistress Deluxe flange (It flanges, but mostly I use it as kind of a ghetto chorus pedal on low settings)

So I'd figure that the only stuff that's really actively missing from what I've got at hand would be a delay or a proper chorus, but I could be wrong. Anyone got thoughts?

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Gordon Cole posted:

Ungh, I've been really wanting a Bass VI but they're just too expensive. It probably mentions in the video, but I can't watch it at work, how much does it cost?

They don't say.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

dancehall posted:

The upcoming Johnny Marr Jaguar... I must have it

Oh my god, I love that shade of orange. I thought for a moment it was sparkle-finish, but then I squinted a bit and saw it was JPG compression.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Well, just think of it as more leverage, so you can whammy through semitones and semisemitones with more precision.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Is that flanger signed, or is that just the company's mark?

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Oh, okay. I follow.

Man, in other news, I've been kicking around the local goodwills, trying to find a briefcase or small suitcase I can turn into a pedalboard, 'cos I've got basically nil dollars these days---new job doesn't start for a month. The search is not going well, sadly. Either the locks will be hosed up, or it's not quite the right size, or the outside is curved for some godunknown reason...

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Probably the worst photo ever taken of the shiniest loving thing I own, but whatevs, I've finally got a delay, which means I've got basically all the major effect categories covered. Now if only I had a proper pedalboard. And also to figure out how to keep the delay from feeding back on itself. I am music's worst criminal.

(Also, if cash holds out in the near future, I'm getting a loving Rainbow Machine. I might as well sound as ridiculous as possible, it's not like I'm gigging.)

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Well, it's not so much feedback as the pedal regenerating itself until such time as you turn it off, as opposed to the amp feeding back, but I do see the point. I had it back there to dick with it, mostly, but hadn't figured out exactly where to have it in the final setup. As I look at it now, it'll probably go in between the flange and the reverb, which are the last two in the current chain. What would the wiring be for putting it in its own loop, as forever suggested? I'm really still learning all this, most of you guys have probably bought multiple pedals of one type over time and swapped them in and out as you liked best, the only pedal I've replaced thus far was swapping my stock DS-1 for a Keeley mod DS-1.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

fappenmeister posted:

One of these.

Looks awesome, but what is it? What does it do?

In other news, as previously reported as possibly happening, this happened:

Don't try and play Flaming Lips songs without one. Or five.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Manky posted:

And is that fake wood paneling? I love it, it makes the Sears brand even more...I don't know, it's just great.

I've got an old Sears (Silvertone) organ that was a thing of joy, even though I had to rip the top off to fix a wiring problem recently, and it looks like I'm going to have to commit even more major surgery on it because (I think) the fan died---it's a reed organ, so.

Epi Lepi - I'd have a demo for you of the pedal, except I'm basically working and sleeping and nothing else right now (curse of the night shift), and I've never been happy with anything I've ever recorded (not like I've ever gotten more than maybe three notes in and not been so terribly embarrassed that I shut the recording off instantly), it'll probably sound like poo poo. There's demos on youtube and such with people who can actually play, so you may want to check there. I'm dicking around with a thing, but, yaknow, bleah. I'm a terrible guitarist having a crisis, don't mind me.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Thorpe posted:

I came home from work Wednesday to find a package on my doorstep. What came inside?

My first preset, a blackhole one that has a darker, longer decay. So good!

Man, being a vintage game nerd and a guitar gear nerd, that's exactly what I want forever---make all my sound settings look like they're being reported to me from the backglass of an old-school pinball machine. If only I wasn't saving cash for non-music necessities right now...

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

communistdew posted:

I spend too much money on pink magic pixie dust.

Welcome to the family big guy!

My guitar is sounding more and more like a robot on drugs.

I love my Rainbow Machine. Where do you put yours in your chain? Mine's currently near the end, between my flange and delay, but I'm tempted to throw it back earlier, maybe before the distortion pedals?

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

The Leck posted:

Semi-hollow chat! I finally got the pickups replaced on my Ibanez AM73, so it now a) works, and b) has P-90s in it. I haven't exactly cranked it up yet, but it feels really good to have it back.

(also, the old pickups will probably be going in the gear trades thread shortly, if anyone has some sort of bizarre project in mind)

gently caress yes, I love that guitar. Also, the film is almost wrapped---I should get some free weekends soon! (though not for long, there's another project in the pipe. We may want to look at playing on a different day/night if this goes on much more.)

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Idly browsing Craigslist this afternoon, I found that a local antique/estate sale shop had posted an ad for a pair of keyboards---as my organ has revealed itself to be, most likely, unsalvageable, this seemed like a great idea. Sadly, the K2000 had a terminal brain fart while I was testing it, dumping its memory, losing even its basic patches and resetting itself on keypresses.

So I only have this to show for shopping today, but I am totally cool with it:

As is Meyer:

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Startyde posted:

dat catte

Also welcome to the club!

I really like these boards, they're entirely too heavy but the action is good and sound is unique. Takes effects well. Too bad about the K2k, though.

Agreeing with Agreed, holy gently caress that echo.

I'm loving the sound thus far, the keys themselves are all in fine fetter---unfortunately, now that I've read the manual and understand how presets put filters on hold, I'm seeing that a couple of buttons (a couple of the presets, some of the stuff for bank II) aren't taking button presses as well as they might. Most of the time the procedure is to just jab at it a few times and hope it swaps over. Is there a reasonable thing to do to deal with such things, cleaning the inside or contacts or something? I'm handy with tools but kind of unknowledgeable as regards the build of electronics like this.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Jives posted:

I bought this. It has the signature of a musician I have never heard of on the back of the headstock, but whatevs.

Dude, you can't just drop that info without letting the thread-nerds figure out who it is, what's the name?

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I love the Holy Grail---I've got the big version, but it's the same circuits. My amp has a spring reverb, which I use for spring sounds, but if I want to get some space noise going (which is almost always), I'll kick the grail on. The spring setting is alright, the flerb is pointless since I've got a flange, but putting it on hall with the knob at 2-3:00 is super-fun.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I got a drum!

My made-a-lot-more-sense-before-I-actually-started-playing-drums plan to take a cheap electronic kit and add acoustic elements until I had a hybrid kit proceeds apace.

It's a Pearl VPX, so it's still a bargain-basement kit, but I'm still a bargain-basement drummer. It is a lot of fun to play on something that actually responds like a snare should, though. Oof, those pads.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

massive spider posted:

Since there isnt a general gear chat thread I just want to post a picture of this...thing.

That is loving ugly as sin, but I'd use it, once I'd given the case a fresh coat of paint.

e: ...does that have a red LED and two greens? Why didn't they bother to match the design and make them red, green and blue?

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

MrLonghair posted:

Other Behringer mixers I cannot recommend unless you're starting out or need a quick little mixer for podcasting or whatevs.

That's a thing that's bugging me---I've got a recording project I'm working on and my mixer is pretty substandard, it's a crapass tiny Behringer 4-in, stereo out. I'd get a bigger mixer, if I had any idea what was decent but cheap, but also if I had the cash to drop on more microphones. I need so many goddamn microphones.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Startyde posted:

Cascade has sales on their awesome stuff fairly often, jump on their mailing list. They've got an active/passive ribbon coming that looks very tempting. Spirit folios are quiet and cheap, no bells and whistles though. Build quality isn't amazing, but some clean gain for the money.

That's uh.

Um.

Kinda holy poo poo whoa way the gently caress out of my price range.

My GOOD mic is a Shure BG 4.0, that...uh, I think I ended up with when my college radio station was cleaning out a closet? My other mic is a Radio Shack 33-3043.

Yeah, this is kinda a ghetto operation, I'm aware.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Wasn't planning on buying anything, but I found it in the local goodwill while I was looking for video games and terrible VHS movies. Original box and all. I'll have to grab a 9-volt in the morning to test it, since I don't think I have a power supply that matches it.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Deathy McDeath posted:

I finally have a reason to post in here! After taking lessons for a year and a half, and using a dinky rental cello, I saved up some money and bought my own. Its absolutely gorgeous and sounds great!

That is totally a handsome beast. I should sit down and listen to more stuff with strings.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Nthing the Tribute love, my bassist plays a G&L tribute, and she's been leaving hers here in my studio, so I've gotten a chance to fool around with it. I'd have gone with a slightly different neck, were it mine, but the hardware itself is great.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Daaaaaaaaaaaaamn, that's amazing. TUBES. I need a tube amp so bad.

I'm tempted to cannibalize the tiny tube amp from this sadly-seemingly-unsavable organ I've got and use the frame as a keyboard stand or something. Or, if I had tools and talent (I have neither), turn the mostly-decent manuals into a MIDI controller of some sort.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

That guitar looks so good. Also, this probably makes me a terrible internet person, but I would watch a "gear and cats" thread forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Picked this up last night. 1960s Japanese 12-string 335 clone. Amazeballs.