Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

Picked up my first ever tube amp today: an older Fender Hot Rod DeVille 2x12. I set it to volume 2 out of 12 and it's making the windows rattle. The only blemish is that the reverb is only intermittently working (which was disclosed to me by the seller) and I probably won't fix that since I have pedals. It came on casters, has the footswitch, and a cover.

It only ran me $300.

The best part was picking it up: it was in an old run-down victorian house in Berkeley. The older guy led me in past a few other older guys working on computers, and then through a store room filled with hundreds of these:

Edit: hot rod, not blues

LooksLikeABabyRat fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Dec 20, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

no broccoli please posted:

Which jazzy is that on the wall? I love my VM Squier.

It’s just a classic player. I love it though.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

donut posted:

The reverb on my 410 went a while ago, it was just a solder joint in the tank at the bottom of the cabinet that went. Easy peasy. Sadly not so easy to make the volume knob not a hair trigger where all the usable adjustment is in 1-3 or so.

I pulled the reverb tank out of the amp and it looks like the solders are all still in place. I sprayed some contact cleaner in there so maybe that will help.

Edit: that seems to have done the trick for now. Played for 5 minutes on that sweet sweet fender reverb tone.

LooksLikeABabyRat fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Dec 20, 2018

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

gbs but from 2004 posted:

We have one of these at the studio. They are so loving loud

Yeah I can't put it over 3 in my apartment or I'll get evicted. It's moving to my band's practice space on Saturday and I'm looking forward to putting it through it's paces.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

I just picked up a BlackStar HT1R head because it was heavily discounted at Guitar center. Now I have to figure out if I want to get a cab for it and sell my Boss Katana or return the head.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Professor Science posted:

Keep the Katana, no doubt.

I should say this is purely for practice at home amp. I have a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe for playing with a band.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Hurry up and get here.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Thanks! Hopefully I love playing it as much as I love looking at it. It arrives tomorrow and I can't wait. It's a 1990s CIJ.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

It's here, and it's fantastic.

I'm gonna play around with it this weekend and then drop it off at my neighbor's. He's a professional luthier so he'll get is set up properly.

I'm also debating getting a Mustang bridge for it (or some other kind of bridge) but I'm having a hell of a time figuring out which one to get and what price is fair. Any ideas?

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Yeah I'm not willing to spend $200 on an $800 guitar... yet. I was hoping for a Fender made Mustang Bridge but they seem to be sold out everywhere.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Extortionist posted:

If you're in the UK or have a friend there, Staytrem bridges are very good and cheaper than Mastery. Unfortunately they stopped selling internationally a few months ago, though.

The newer bridges from the American Pro series are ok, but I still had issues with strings popping out:
https://darrenriley.com/store/fender-american-pro-jaguar-jazzmaster-bridge-7709942000/

I managed to get a Staytrem bridge for my CP Jazzmaster just before they stopped shipping to the US, but it won't fit on the Jag.

What gauge strings are you using on the AMPro Bridge?

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Extortionist posted:

11s. If the Staytrem doesn't fit I doubt the American Pro one would, though.

Looking at Mastery's guide it sounds like some Japanese ones need larger mounting posts, is that why it didn't fit?

The CP jazzmaster has an AOM bridge so the thimbles have screws which were used for bridge height adjustment. The Jag doesn't have those so dropping it in doesn't work.

LooksLikeABabyRat fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Jan 26, 2019

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Declan MacManus posted:

http://www.graphtech.com/products/product-detail/pq-8108-00-tusq-jaguar-jazzmaster-mustang-barrel-saddles---6-string

just swap the saddles for these and call it a day. the mastery is rock solid but this will do the same thing at a third of the price and the best part is it fits every bridge

it’s a shame the price went up on these; they were like $30 only four years ago

I wound up ordering a warmoth adjustable mustang bridge.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Eddy Bulundees posted:

Took a chance and bought this new online without ever playing one. It's the Squire J Mascis Jazzmaster. Very impressed for a Squire and I'm now wondering what I've been missing out on for that line. Satin neck finish it so nice.

I do get jazzy from time to time but have no desire to bump up to 11s for the strings. There was some buzz/rattle at the bridge that other folks complain about as well, I added the ugly but effective buzz buster between the bridge and the trem and it took care of that. No negative effect on that precious tone.

Most people do 11s on JMs to reduce that rattle.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Ya'll are making me regret buying that Jag and selling off my CP JM.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Eddy Bulundees posted:

Yes, this is the most common advice and generally known to be true. It's just not how I roll these days.

I was "biggest strings I can find" guy years ago but as I've progressed in ability/finesse these old man hands play better and longer on smaller gauges.

I somehow spaced on the buzzstop. That's an easy way to fix it too. Those JM JMs are dope.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

So the MIJ Jaguar I posted last month didn't take. The money I would have needed to put into it to get it into playable shape made it a bum deal, and I just didn't care about it as much as I loved my MIM Jazzmaster.

So I bit the bullet and bought a big boy American Jazzmaster today. So stoked for it to arrive.

It's a 2018 Fender American Original '60s Jazzmaster with Rosewood Fretboard in 3-Color Sunburst.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

no broccoli please posted:

That is a beaut of a Jazzy.

Got a new noisemaker today which may kick off a dangerous habit. EHX Stereo Pulsar Trem pedal. Lots of cool wobbly sounds to be had out of this. Sounds amazing with overdrive crunch.
When I was researching which one to get, I saw this amazon review I really liked: "It makes my piano go wououwouou but if i turn the knob it will go wowowowowow and if i turn the knob more it goes brrrrt. All this in stereo! 11/10 would wououo again" and yeah, that also applies to guitar.

Hah! I got one of those in the mail today too! Last pedal I needed for my board (for now)! It’s a really fun pedal.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

It's here, and it's phenomenal. I didn't think it would sound so different, but this body is so much more resonant than my MIM Jazzmaster. The 9.5 radius is so much more playable, and I love the modern C neck. Say hello to the finest thing I've ever owned.

and the custom neck plate that lives on whatever my main guitar happens to be at the time:

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

That's a loving steal!

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

LooksLikeABabyRat posted:

So the MIJ Jaguar I posted last month didn't take. The money I would have needed to put into it to get it into playable shape made it a bum deal, and I just didn't care about it as much as I loved my MIM Jazzmaster.

So I bit the bullet and bought a big boy American Jazzmaster today. So stoked for it to arrive.

It's a 2018 Fender American Original '60s Jazzmaster with Rosewood Fretboard in 3-Color Sunburst.

Update: had band practice for the first time this morning since I got the new JM. It's amazing through a tube amp!

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Picked up a new pedal today: Devi Ever Shoegazer fuzz.

This pedal is an absolute BEAST. I've dialed in the left side (torns peaker) to closely emulate a big muff, while the right side (the soda meiser) just drives the amp to make the fuzz take on a digital sounding grit that's just freaking awesome. This thing rips!

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Elector_Nerdlingen posted:

That is a super super pretty guitar.

After having it for a week and finally getting to play it on my hot rod during band practice: it's the best instrument I've ever owned. Possibly the best I've ever played.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Maybe not the thread for this, but I listed my 80s Korean built epiphone les paul on cl for local trade and someone offered a red knobbed fender champ 12 for it. Reviews seemed mixed, but it’d be cool to have a tube amp at home to practice with. Any one have any experience with one?

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

That's a Paul Rivera-era Fender which, imo, are underrated, clean headroom (that is to say if you like fuzz and or high gain pedals these are really great) amps.

The prices for your guitar and the amp are questionably in the same ballpark depending on which side you value more.

I don’t do a lot of high gain stuff, but I have a ton of pedals and heard the amp is pretty good with cleans and pedals.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Thanks for the encouragement! I’ll give it a try this week and report back. I’m gonna have to replace the knobs if I buy it though. That red is ugly af.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

After The War posted:

The best thing you can do with it is upgrade the speaker if it still has the original, that would make it a significantly nicer and more useable amp.

If I don’t immediately love it I’ll probably pass. I have a Hot Rod for gigs and band practice and use a katana currently at home. Just wondering if I’ll like it better since I dig tubes.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Does anyone have any recommendations for low profile cables that can work with a boss ns-2? I'm using the send/return and input/output jacks, and my low profile cables won't fit the jacks because they're too close together. Right now that one pedal takes up nearly 1/3 more space than any of my others because of the size of the jacks on the cables I have.

I bought a Walrus Audio Slö so I'm trying to make room for it since it won't likely replace my regular reverb pedal.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Krustic posted:

Look into the ebs flat patch cables. I switched to them and they work well and save space.

There we go. Thanks!

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

I ordered a cheap rear end Ibanez bass for home recording use.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Afro posted:

Missed opportunity to get it in pink. I almost bought one a while ago but don't realistically have room for it :(

Shiiiiiit. I didn't realize it came in pink. I got this one off of reverb for a song though, so I'm not too worked up about it.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

I got my big, dumb, not pink bass today. It’s pretty good for not being pink.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Nice and also excellent JM

Thanks! It's a 2018 American Original JM. It's bone stock except I swapped in a mastery bridge. It's the finest instrument I've ever touched.

I got a hell of a deal on it around my birthday this year. The previous owner nicked the bottom of it ever so slightly and couldn't bear it. Got it for $675 off retail with free shipping.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Wark Say posted:

Like, that's awesome and all (and hell, I've taken advantage of deals like that myself), but why do people do this? It's a minor scuff, if we can take dents off a car, we can fix that easy-peasy!

I’m not gonna fix it. Since it’s dinged already I don’t have to baby it!

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Wark Say posted:

Oh no, don't misunderstand me: I get why you got it, BabyRat. I looooove instruments with scars myself. We cool and in the same wave on that. :):respek::)

But I see why a bunch of peeps sell their instruments because they got slightly dented and it immediately makes me go "If it bothers you that much and you still like the instrument, just get it fixed", but nope, they still sell it, just because of a small frigging ding/dent. Like, that's the thing that sorta baffles me to see happen.

However, taking advantage of the fact that peeps like the ones I just described in the previous paragraph sell their instruments is basically why I spend like 15-to-20 minutes every day searching for new, fun stuff in Reverb.com, preferably if it shows up with anything between "very good" to "fair" gear conditions. I'm still going to take a good deal when I see one. ;)

The best part is that it's in a barely noticeable spot anyway. I also live upstairs from a really great luthier who offered to fix it for me. I'll probably take him up on that and have him put block inlays on the neck so she gets real fancy.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

VELOUR SPACESUIT posted:

Lurking in the pedals thread inspired me to pick up this Walrus Audio Iron Horse v1. Ended up being my favorite distortion pedal ever. Does everything from a dirty boost to blown out fuzz. Super happy.

... ignore all the gross hair my pedal board is a mess...

V2 is supposedly a tad better sonically, but they changed the graphic so the led isn’t the horse’s eye any more.

Not worth it.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Accidentally bought another thing. Vox AC30 C2X. Feels like I stole it for $500.

Now I gotta sell my Hot Rod Deluxe.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Siivola posted:

No you need to buy a stereo loop switcher and set up a wet-dry rig. :unsmigghh:

I don’t know what this means, but I like the sound of it.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Siivola posted:

You run your guitar signal into two amps simultaneously, but you only put certain effects through one of the amps. These are often "wet" effects like modulation or wild delay effects. This creates a big sound because the two amps tend to sound a bit different to begin with, and then you get both the effected and "dry" signals playing simultaneously for a real nuanced sound. Basically double-tracking yourself live.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSz7GrRdHc0

The loop switcher's just a thing to organise your effects a bit easier.

That’s pretty dang sweet, but the only way I could convince my wife not to murder me when I got home was by telling her that selling the hot rod for $300-400 means I only spent $100-200 to upgrade haha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Someone offered me this in exchange for my Fender Deville (which I was supposed to sell to cover the cost of the Vox) aaaaand now I'm torn.

Can't find an MSRP or review on this particular one online though.