Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I have a new toy! No cameras in the house though so you get a lovely cellphone picture. Yay!

It's one of these bad boys. Beginner guitar yeah, but at AU$250 (Allan's Billy Hyde is closing, boo) it seemed just right. I wanted a humbucker equipped guitar and this had no tremelo so bonus. Now I just need an amp, which will probably happen next fortnight.

They had the C-1 there too but the build quality seemed about the same, and the hardware was the same so the only difference seemed to be the shape and the frets (22 for the 006, versus 24). And hell, why not pick the cooler looking one? It's very Rickenbacker 4001, and I think that's the prettiest bass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Ackbarf posted:

The North Perth store? Did you take a harpoon and a net? I never actually figured out how to get anyone to serve me there, so I never bought anything from them. Couple that with some seriously shady business practices (trying to strong-arm small independent music stores into selling up so they could shut them down and take their market share), I'm kinda glad they're gone.

Great score for $250 though, they're not bad guitars :) I'd see about getting someone to give it a look over though - I've seen some bad factory setups on Schecters before.

Nah the Fortitude Valley (Brisbane) store. I've never had problems there or at the Queen St store, always helpful and friendly. But yeah, they've had some shady dealings but there's like five music stores that I know of in Brisbane, two of which are Allans. And the others have dick for stock. Sure, they'll all order stuff in but I'd rather have the chance to play it first. Otherwise I might as well try ordering from the US and save a couple bucks.

So if anyone knows decent places in Brisbane to get equipment from do let me know! I plan to get a setup done but I've no idea where to go to do that.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Just a heads up for Ausgoons, Allans Billy Hyde has upped the discounts from 25% to 40% but they're no longer doing online sales. So if you want to possibly get something neat then now's probably good. Bit disappointed I got my guitar only 25% off but I didn't really want to risk them not having any in stock.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
My friend bought me a harmonica! A cheap thing, but I've been eyeing harmonicas and this should be fun! Excuse the cell phone picture. Should really invest in a real camera some time.

It's a Wembley Showman Harmonica in key of C. Anyone heard of these? I assume they're just dime store style cheap ones. But it is a gift and that means more to me.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Oh man, Suhr guitars are so drat sexy. Pity they cost so much. Also, Mesa/Boogie and Suhr? Lucky sumbitch.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I got an amp! (Cross posted from the amp thread).

It's awesome.

The Pathfinder was my first amp, and this is the biggest step I've taken with this gear. I love it.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
The Pathfinder? They're pretty awesome little boxes. I picked mine up in ~~Limited Edition Diezel Green~~ for about AU$80 new. I love the clean sounds, and it takes pedals really well. I think I've seen some people mod effects loops into them but a cursory Google search didn't turn up anything. I'd assume it's doable, and there's a bunch of people modding cabinet outputs too. Good thing, because while it sounds great the 6.5" speaker doesn't help with the volume, especially at 10W. That's the main reason I went with the Night Train. Both have that Vox clean sound, but the Night Train has way more power and a much nicer gain channel.

Which is the Pathfinder's main flaw. The gain channel/mode is pretty "eh". Not terrible, and not bad for a starter who just wants a crunchy sound to practice. I used it for ages just fine. The lack of footswitching made me grab some dirt pedals though. What I really wanted was a Pathfinder with more wattage, bigger/nicer speaker(s) and a footswitch. I would've been pretty happy with that. The Night Train is all that and a bit more though, so I'm pretty glad I grabbed it.

If you want some demos of the Pathfinder I can probably do a DI recording of some clips. Overall though, it's nice, but definitely hamstrung by the lack of power and little speaker. But it is a cheap practice amp though!

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Ah fair enough. Yeah, I'm loving the Night Train. Got the really nice Vox-y cleans like I said, and the thick mode is pretty nice for semi-clean blues or light rock. The model I have is the first generation 50W head. The gain channel goes from hard rock to heavy doom or even nice metal if you chuck a bit of boost in front and give it the ole midscoop treatment (In my opinion anyway. I don't do a load of usual metal stuff). It actually comes with an effects loop and so does the 15W head as well, or at least the G2 does. It gets nice and bassy but not really farty. I haven't had the chance to really gun it but at bedroom levels it's nice. I use a fair bit of gain, usually just cranked, but it works pretty nice around 3/4 of the way. Any more it just gets a bit more compressed and tighter, but I like a bit of wobbliness. The Tight switch is pretty useful too. I expect I'll be using it when I bring this to the next jam session so I don't step on the bassist's toes.

The G2 comes with reverb and a DI out, but loses the Tight switch. So it'd be whatever you really want most. I figure I'll use the Tight switch more than the DI out (I'll just bust out my mics to record it) and I never use reverb anyway. G2s also get the Thick switch on both channels. I didn't care about that seeing as I figure I'll just use a boost in front for the extra.

One of the nice things about it compared to other Vox's and even other competitive amps is the independent tone stacks. I find it annoying with other amps where you lose options (Looking at you Vox, and your mids) or dial in just the right sound only to find that while it sounds great on the clean channel it sounds meh to bad on the gain, or vice versa. Speaking of, it's really responsive with the controls. Like I said before, the gain channel can get pretty rough and edgy (In a good way) or really low and heavy, just by flicking the treble up and mids down, or the other way. The tone cut is classic Vox and works as expected. Put it to the left, switch to bridge, scoop the mids and get the gain going and it does a pretty good Mesa impression. Not quite as METAL but pretty good for what it is. It takes my pedals brilliantly to boot.

I picked the head and cab up for AUD$1400 total. G2 I'd be looking at an extra $2-400 depending. All in all it's absolutely fantastic, and I'd highly recommend it to anyone who wants a fairly high-gain amp that can actually do cleans. Other competitors are things like a Blackstar or Jet City. They do the gain thing well but after trying them they can't touch the Vox clean channel. Maybe that doesn't matter to you though! If I missed anything let me know.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I love my local guitar shop but one pack of NYXLs cost me $25. Twenty, five, dollars. Yeah, I went back to buying strings online.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I don't even really like Teles but goddamn is that thing sexy. Something about it being just the right shade of red and the binding.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I had to double check after it was quoted because at first I thought Faustus just lost it and went on a huge tirade.

Talmans are pretty cool though.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I've been GASing for Digitech stuff lately. Their new stuff seems to have knocked it out of the park. I don't even use Leslie/Vibrato or Synth sounds but I really want a Ventura and Dirty Robot. I honestly think it's half due to the fact that they just look awesome.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Clockwise raises, anti-clockwise lowers.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I'm staunchly in the pro-pickguard camp, both in general and specifically with that Tele.

Sexy goddamn guitar either way. What is that blue? I don't know if I've seen it before.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I can play for once!

It's a 2010 Reverend Sensei 290, in red, as you can see. Played it a bit today, gonna give it the full work out tomorrow. It plays so nicely and sounds great. P90s are surprisingly bassy and it twangs up with the bass contour. Loving it so far.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I gave the Sensei a good workout this weekend. Thing is awesome. The neck feels great and the pickups get thick but stay defined. So nice. The upper strap button position is more comfortable than I thought it'd be but it still makes me nervous enough that I want to get some straplocks on there. Only thing I'm not sold on is the noise when it's not in the middle position. Worth it, though.

For a 6 year old guitar it looks and feels brand new. I never thought I'd get a Reverend so soon cause they run like AU$1k here used most of the time. Now I have to promise myself not to buy another any time soon. My rig is pretty much complete amp and guitar wise. I still have my original electric (SGR woo!) that I want to fix up some time, but I think three guitars are enough, for now. Pedals, though...

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

peter gabriel posted:

The newest generation does have reverb, but I got this one cos it was cheaper and, well, it's chrome. Looking good > sounding good

Pretty much the same reason I got mine, too! What cab are you running it through, the matching one with Celestion G12H30s? If you have a couple cabs I'd love to hear what it sounds like through a few, as I've only got the matching one and have recently begun to explore the whole "cabs make a fuckload of difference".

But yeah, the amp is sweet as. The Thick mode is suprisingly useful for a light crunch. I usually sit the clean channel gain to about 2'o'clock for my P90 Reverend and 12ish for my humbucker guitars. Cleans up nice enough but has enough gain with the Thick mode in to really get that classic crunch. Pair the Thick channel with a boost (I guess the Pork Loin could do it! I use a Bad Monkey TS style pedal) and it gets nice and rocking. Awesome.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Oh yeah, I didn't mean to detract from the clean. I like the fact that it can be driven pretty drat hard while staying crystal clean if that's your aim. Whenever I try AC15/30s (Which I am GASing for, for no apparent reason) they always tend to crunch up that little bit for me. The NT conversely stays as clean as I want it, and it really does the Vox "jangly chime" sound so drat well, but you can push the bass a bit and get that thump without the woofing you'd normally get from an AC. I'm just gushing, I love the thing. Being in a shared house I don't get the chance to bust it out much but whenever I do it reminds me why I bought it in the first place.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Allen Wren posted:

My partner has said that they're buying an effects pedal for me for my birthday (my choice, since it's not her hobby) and I've got choice paralysis on what to get.

Strymon or a Klon, if the internet has it's say. What have you got now?

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

HandlingByJebus posted:

Holy loving poo poo I'm glad I bought this head. It sounds amazing on nearly every setting. It's touch-sensitive in ways that I've never experienced outside of modelling / tubes. It breaks up beautifully. It's warm and loud as hell, but still sounds great quiet! What the poo poo, everybody needs one of these.

The clean channel with the gain dimed, bass at 5 and treble at 7-8 is insane. Light = clean, heavy = creamy blues distortion. Dirty channel with gain at 7 and backed off guitar volume gives chimey clean at the edge of breakup and then just loving roars when you dig the pick in. Brought it to practice last night and the rest of the band just kept grinning after every song: "everything sounds better today" being the general consensus.

I am in love. The Katana may not get a lot of use in the foreseeable future. The Mesa Transatlantic is definitely for sale now.

I really like the idea of the CR120 but did you do any comparisons to a Rockerverb or similar? Orange seems to be doing analog solid state really loving well and in demos I watch it's hard to tell which one's the CR and which is the RV. Then again, YouTube audio. Any experiences in comparing the two would be great.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I never considered myself a Marshall guy but lately they've been looking more and more inviting. I demand clips of the Bluesbreaker! And a full report! I will be grading it.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Those Champions are solid state, right? I might have missed the conversation. How does it compare to the tube siblings? I keep erring off and on about whether I would want to eventually get a Fender style amp for the sake of tonal variety. Anyway, does it do the Fender cranked to hell breakup sound? I'd love any comparison clips you might have.

On that note, someone should start a rig rundown thread. I'd love to see what complete rigs people have, but more than that I'd love some clips of people's gear, guitar or not. Some of you guys have some weird or unusual rigs and I'd love to hear how they actually sound. Words are good but at the end of the day I can't read a sound :)

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Has: '59 Gibson Les Paul Standard Historic in Ice Tea VOS

Lacks: Sense to vacuum before taking picture

Goddamn man. That thing looks sexy as hell. What are you playing through to complement it? (I'm gonna say a Blues Jr)

Also are those Marshall pedals really good? They always looked cheap to me like Dan Electros, which also have people claiming they sound awesome.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Huh good to hear on the Marshall pedals. I always assumed they were flimsy eh clones. Are there any I should flat out avoid? I see them floating around cheap ssometimes.

widefault posted:

The Korean "Slammer Series" have a pretty good reputation from what little info I can find, and for $150 it seems worth it to me.

Unf that thing is sexy as poo poo. Old Hamers just have some personality to them, they're always cool. Are those for real SDs or are they "Seymour Duncans"?

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
EHX have released a clone of the OCD, they called it the Glove ;)

But yeah, EHX is just loving great in general.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Effort post incoming!

So along with my other gear I picked up the Ashton (at the bottom) today. Here's what I know about it.

Apparently in the early 2000's Ashton, a well known "budget" (cheap and poo poo) manufacturer of amps and guitars and poo poo decided to branch out and do some tube amps. They failed. However these are generally known to be well made, reliable and sound good. They would sound good, because apparently they're a clone of a Marshall JCM2000 DSL. I picked this bad boy up for AUD$150 or about USD$100.

Ashton reworked the second OD channel ("filth" ugh) for a tighter and more modern voicing compared to the 2000. It's good. Essentially it's a four channel amp, kinda. Functionally it is with two channels sharing each EQ section. This does lead to some disparity in terms of volume and voicing, but hey $150!

I'm putting it through it's paces and yep, sounds like a Marshall. The cleans are full and present, the crunch is nice and crunchy if a little bit woofy when the bass is dialed up. The two OD channels are tight and sound like 80s metal and good heapings of rock. I'm sure it can do harder metal but I wouldn't know.

Let's talk about the names. Ashton decided to go with Digitech 00's style names for pots. Instead of "gain" we have "Filth". Instead of Gain or OD we have a "Mean" channel. Like seriously lame poo poo. Aside from that it delivers on the goods. It sounds like a Marshall and seems considerably robust. The thing weighs a tonne and is huge though. I didn't expect it to be bigger than the Hiwatt, but I guess that's a thing.

Anyway, pretty happy with it especially for the price. If it blows up I'll post here to warn you off it.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Dr. Faustus posted:

Sorry for the non-sequitur but I want that Vox Night-train so very very much. Add it to the pile... Do you like it? Please be as verbose as possible!

Always happy to chat about gear, and I'd usually supply clips but the tubes are ailing and it sounds dark and muddy right now. Usually it's super bright and cutting. If you want a soundclip the closest I have is this:
https://soundcloud.com/indigo-monsoon/tabs
It's recorded with a cheap PG57 mic and the Night Train head and cab.

Same deal for this song although it shows off the cleans a lot better.
https://soundcloud.com/syntaxfunction/forgetful-demo/s-Nvb8h

So anyway, I'll talk about when it's in the prime. It's got a lovely clean channel that is almost exactly like an AC. Not quite though. But it's beautiful and chimey, and sounds absolutely lovely. It can get super bright but that's what the tone cut is for. I would argue Vox cleans (and this is, no arguments, a Vox clean) rival any including Fender. What it doesn't do is get raucous like an AC. When you wind up the gain it's oddly well behaved while getting grittier. It doesn't sound like a wound up AC crunch, it's got it's own thing going on, so if you're chasing that just get an AC.

The thick channel is... particular. With the right guitar (and pedals if used) it can be a wonderful bluesy crunch. It can get muddy and bleh though, and because it's achieved by bypassing the EQ of the Bright/Clean channel it either sounds great or not. I guess you could fix it with an EQ but I think you either like it, or you don't.

The gain channel is meaty and thick while retaining cut. I love using it for rhythm while using my Hiwatt or a Marshall model (now Ashton!) for lead. Or just use it for lead with a Tubeyscreamy thing. It is not a thrash metal amp at any rate. Doom and sludge though? Hell yeah. Rock? Easy. But it's not tight or chuggy enough (even with the tight switch on) to do thrash or extreme metal.

All in all it's a fantastic amp. It was my first real amp (my only other amp at that stage was a Vox Pathfinder) but it's been dang near 6-7 years (on the original tubes too :O Hence the need for retubing) so I'd say the honeymoon has worn off vastly. Still one of my favourite amps of all time. The 50 has that wonderful lead channel as does the G2 15H.

I hope that answers some questions you had. Feel free to ask specific ones if you want more info.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
If you're ever in Brisbane you need to visit Tym's. I am fortunate to live there. They're all friendly and helpful and amazing.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
gently caress, that Esprit is gorgeous. I want one but there's never any local. How's it compare to the standards (Strat , LP, etc)?

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I am bad with money haha. 2018 Gibson Les Paul Classic in Ebony. My dream Les Paul.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Set necks are superior, and that's a fact. Oh no my set neck Gibson needs a headstock repair.

I generally prefer set necks but I couldn't say why. I think I just like the idea better? Bolt ons are great too. A bolt on Gibbo is as weird as a set neck Fender to me.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I love my Gibson. I would've paid more for a head stock that I didn't always freak out about every time I have it out.

Gibson hates people with anxiety and OCD. Which makes sense, given their usual market.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I know, I'm a bad Gibson owner :( I keep trying to get people to play it and they don't want to when they find out the price :( It's a guitar, just play it, let me worry about repairs imo. I'm giving you a pass if you ding it.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I've never heard of that pedal before but it looks vintage as gently caress and the name is amazing. What's it like? Nice score especially with an AC because Vox make the best amps.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Some great 80/90s Aria Pro IIs that are MIJ local to me for AU$600-900. They're rad.

There's no point to this, just rubbing it in.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Right? I figure when I inevitably break the headstock I'll just get it repaired and feel better haha.

Play my guitar I spent to much money for it to be wasted on me alone!

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Turbinosamente posted:

The trick here is to buy your guitars used so they're pre dinged and you don't gotta worry about it at all!

This is honestly the best idea and what I usually do. Every other guitar was bought used and had at least one ding. My Mustang in the dingiest and if I bonk something my brain goes "hehe" instead of freaking out.

But the Gibbo was bought used, it just happened to be also mint perfect which is just awful. I am not precious with it. I encourage everyone else to not be too. I said that to some old blues dad and he freaked out haha.

It's a nitro finish tho? Everywhere talks about the great wear on nitro and natural relicing and all that poo poo, so who cares if it gets dinged? loving funny people trumpeting wear and relicing but baby the guitars so they'll never get that effect.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
That is loving gorgeous. I have a basic bitch Yamaha FG beginner acoustic, because I focused on electric, but now I'm branching out and I really want to get a nice acoustic. And I adore the feel of Yamaha's. So I'm thinking an LS16 or a Taylor of some kind.

But gently caress me if that Yamaha doesn't sway me. I love the smaller body and it looks gorgeous. Big fan of it.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

H13 posted:

So I have a small amp collection of 4 amps.

I just put down a deposit for a Mesa Boogie Mark V.

Yesssss. The amount of goons buying Mark Vs lately is heartwarming. I really want a Dual Rec. I don't care which one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I absolutely approve of that, hell yeah. I've been meaning to post and let folks know I'm up for, keen, and free to do reamps for things for them. Hit me up, send me some stems and I'm happy to reamp guitars (or bass!) for peeps.

Probably make a post in the guitar thread now honestly haha.