Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune
Hi there, I've never posted in this thread but I wanted to show off something I just got a couple weeks ago:

Its dope. Its actually multi-scale but somehow I managed to photograph it so that the frets look straight. Between the weird neck shape (it has an odd box shape thats difficult to describe and didn't show up too well in pics) and the fan frets, I figured it would take some getting used to but it plays like a dream right from the second I picked it up. The previous owner replaced the pickups with bare knuckles, which sound great - really clear without being too bitey. My only complaint, really, is that the neck pickup is a bit too close to the strings so I occasionally find myself tapping the pickup cover, which is a little annoying. I'm going to see if I can adjust the height or even just remove the covers next time I change strings. Also the tuning knobs are really tight and close together making tuning a little uncomfortable. Fortunately, it stays in tune really well so its not a big deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

GreatGreen posted:

I've heard a lot of talk about that general body shape and one of the strengths is supposedly that it feels just as good in classical position as it does in... "casual" position I guess it's called. Has that been something you've noticed?

Yes! It actually fits well in a classical position and, in fact, it can rest against both legs comfortably in the concave sections if you have your left leg up.

Shugojin posted:

The screws on either side don't raise/lower it?

You know, I have no idea, I haven't tried. I'm not much of a guitar tech and I just assumed they were for removing the cover.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

Posted this in the PYF Recent Purchases thread but probably better here. Just got this Peavey Classic 30 off craigslist. Cheap and killer tube amp that apparently was designed by the same guy that made Peavey's original 5150. It sounds awesome and can get pretty crunchy on channel 2. I may gussy it up with some tweed or leave it looking like poo poo because who cares.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune
Yeah, probably will. It matches my wrecked-rear end guitars

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

Jonny 290 posted:

The only question left is do i join a worship band, or a fusion band

How much do you like shimmer reverb

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

muike posted:

it's quite a honey. itd be cool if the flame was on the front but now it's like a sexy little secret just for me

Sick. Tune to B standard and learn Death Certificate.

Just got this controller to play with all the softsynths. Its a big boi

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

New fuzz. I kept looking at all these $300 boutique fuzz boxes but come the gently caress on, nothings better than the good ol EHX big box Pi and it was 87 bucks shipped, brand new. Sounds great. All I play is Dino Jr and Kyuss riffs now. Can't wait to kick the poo poo out of it and get the screen print nice and scuffed up.

Also this thing:

Had it one day and I already want another one.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

JamesKPolk posted:

Are you in the PNW? ...Ambulance in the parking lot? 90% sure I was the seller

If so... thank you again, and glad its such an instant hit!

Lol yep! Small fuckin world. Its great, been having a lot of fun with it. Cheers!

GreatGreen posted:

Big Muffs rule.

Here's a video I found the other day of somebody making me try real hard to not get one myself:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDyz6qsD0kU

Its a great pedal, but it doesn't sound that good out of the box. Thats a lot of post.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

Kvlt! posted:

Finally 🙏(Got it brand new from the company after my turn on the waitlist came up)

Sweet! How much you think you can flip it for on Reverb? Jk, but man its dumb there's a 5 year waitlist for these things. Its cool you were able to get one!

I just got this thing:

I'm going to be working out of town for a couple of months so I used that as an excuse to pull the trigger. I havent used it too much yet but I dialed in an orange rockerverb tone that sounds killer, to me at least. It also acts as an audio interface and has a bunch of effects, of course, so that should save me having to pack a bunch of gear just to noodle around on guitar while I'm away from home.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

The Leck posted:

Yeah, that rockerverb model is a great one. Definitely check out some videos on how to set up some good sounds and use the extended parameters on amps (the sag, hum, ripple, bias, and bias x controls). There's more depth than my brain is capable of handling, but I've found at least a few settings to start from and tweak. Even with the limited number of blocks, you can do a LOT with the stomp. I'd suggest checking out some of this guy's videos, they have a ton of info about the various models in there:

I did mess around with the sag, bias, and hum to try and get a pushed power section sound. Also adjusted the low and high cut to take out the harshness. I have an older AxeFX Ultra so I have some familiarity with model tuning controls but I'll def check out some of those tutorial videos because I'm sure there's a bunch of little tweaks and tricks to getting a good sound with this unit. I haven't even looked at HX Edit yet. I was a little worried about the stock cab IRs since I had seen some reviews that said they were bad but, honestly, they're pretty good if you take time to adjust the mic type and placement to fit the amp model. Maybe they aren't as good as ownhammers or whatever, but they certainly aren't trash like a lot of youtubers make them out to be. So far, I'm pretty stoked on this little box.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

widefault posted:

I'm still trying to figure out the $350 1975 SG Standard I bought there back in 2017. Yeah, player grade with a fixed heel break and non-original parts, but "Vintage Gibson" at a pawn shop for $350?

:chanpop:

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

Trig Discipline posted:

He does a really good job of actually testing what makes a difference in sound between electric guitars, and IIRC the main things are string gauge and pickups, and almost nothing else has a measurable effect.

Lmao you don't fuckin say

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

Kvlt! posted:

Wanted an HM-2 all in one and apparently the Lone Wolf Audio guy is kinda scummy so I didn't want a Left Hand Wrath.

I didn't know anything about this guy but one of the first search results on google for "Lone Wolf Audio" is a video talking about how much he sucks with hundreds of comments that are basically "yeah gently caress Joe" :lmao:

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

Agreed posted:

but in reality scalpers will get them all

I really love how this is a normal thing that everyone just assumes and shrugs their shoulders about now. My favorite part is when manufactures make a huge deal marketing a limited run of something and then are shocked - shocked! - that scalpers bought up all the stock to resell on Reverb and ebay, it loving rules

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune
Got a couple of things

New Boss Space Echo:

It sounds amazing. It better for the price tag lol

Eurorack sampler:

I haven't been doing nearly as much synth stuff lately since I've mostly been concentrating on guitar but I've been wanting one of these for a while and it came up locally. Excited to put it together with a smaller rack system

Not pictured, a few Hal Leonard guitar manuals for Jazz and Country so I can try to expand my chord knowledge and synthesize some more styles into my playing.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune
Counterpoint: SGs own and are the best

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

Want that EM. Been eyeballing listings on reverb for a while and they've been getting less insane on pricing. Might grab one

hexwren posted:

The 5150 Iconic is not, on its own, especially noisy, and that's good because it is really high gain - but also has a great clean channel. James Brown has talked over at TGP about it some as being basically what he would do to make a 5150 today, hitting a certain price point to be more accessible to more players. It has a semi-floating ply front with MDF in other parts, and uses two preamp tubes plus a mosfet third gain stage into two power amp tubes. The guy is a god drat amp genius and this is another great design from him. It sounds so amazing. The dirty channel SMOKES, it BURNS, it HAMMERS. And it has a really great clean channel, too, which takes pedals super well.

Thats rad. When that amp was released there were so many blues dentists talking poo poo about it and the only thing I could imagine is that they must have wallets for ears. That amp sounds tough as gently caress in every demo I could find

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

hexwren posted:

I want to eventually have a reverb where I kick the thing on, turn the knob and sound like I'm transmitting from outer space, but the eventide costs an arm and a leg. might have to see what else is out there. there is the grail and the oceans 11, but I don't really want to do an all-EHX-all-the-time thing.

Maybe take a look at the EQD Dispatch Master. I love that thing and it sounds kind of like what you're describing

hexwren posted:

so, the EM here is the 1999-2002 v4 reissue. the v4 is the first one to have the current BBD chip, as they couldn't get the 80s one anymore. I have never A/Bed against a 70s-80s EM, in fact, I've never been in the same room as one. I don't know if the earlier revisions are more magical? but I really like what I have here, and its continued presence in my chain (as above) is at least partly a thing of emotion.

as goes the current small-form-factor DEM, there's conflicting reports, some say they're analog, some say they're digital recreations. I dunno. I am not an electrical engineer. I would consider sidegrading to a modern one if the circuitry is the same.

here's the site with everything you need to know about the original run: http://www.metzgerralf.de/elekt/stomp/mistress/index.shtml

I dont get too caught up in magic opamps and sacred diodes. I like the sound of the EHX EM circuit and the aesthetics of the big enclosures. They're fun to stomp on and I like the way the silkscreen scuffs up. Im a degenerate hipster, what can I say

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

syntaxfunction posted:

If you're in Australia you can sometimes find bargains on Hiwatt Hi Gain models.

I used to have one of these several years ago, super underrated amp imo. I'm bummed I sold it in one of my "gently caress guitar, I'm never playing again" fits.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

NuclearPotato posted:

Also pictured is my other latest impulse buy, a Chase Bliss Mood (I really like the sounds you can get out of the mini-looper, and the delay and reverb effects are super solid on their own, too).

I have one of these and it can sound incredibly cool on synth. I had a lot more trouble finding sweet spots using it with guitar and ended up using it as a standard delay more often than not. It feels like it has a mind of its own sometimes, which is very cool with modular.

I was thinking about getting an OpSix back when it was pre-release but I kind of let my synth stuff slip to the back burner in favor of guitar after I moved house. But, poo poo, for that price I might have to pick one up anyway. Whats the reason they're so cheap? Are they getting discontinued already or something?

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

Cabbages and Kings posted:

my life isn't going to get any cheaper as a result of any of this :allears:

Nice, PNW is hands down the most useful and flexible module I have. It does so many things!

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

massive spider posted:

Sunn Life pedal clone

Sounds like: https://voca.ro/1jObXnzKdSRB

That sounds real good. What were you playing through?

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune
Those non-frankie EVH guitars look pretty sick but for some reason push button killswitches seem super weird to me, like its a guitar hero controller or something. Rad git tho, congrats!

Anyway, I keep buying synth poo poo:

I sold a bunch of pedals recently and then happened to stop in at a second hand music shop. They had this for $500, which is a lot lower than I usually see them going for used. I think they got it mixed up with the Hydrasynth Express maybe? I've only messed around with it a little bit so far but it sounds satisfyingly bleepy and bloopy. I guess I have a whole new work flow to learn now!

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

Early 2000's MIJ Ibanez Prestige 7-string with locking trem. I got this off a guy from craigslist the other day. The neck is fast and plays like a dream but I'm having some issues with the bridge and pickups. The Ibanez trem feels quite a bit different from the Floyd Rose trems I have in other guitars. The fine tuners have a ton of throw and I've had to reset the tuning a couple of times already because they bottom out when tuning up. It also sits differently than I'm used to and I'm having trouble getting good sounding chugs on palm mutes since it seems harder to set my hand in the sweet spot. I will most likely get used to that over time. Also, that problem may be exacerbated by the pickups the previous owner installed. They are Instrumental SFTY-4's and they are HOT AS gently caress. Jesus gently caress are they hot. I have a set of Fishman actives in another guitar and these are an order of magnitude hotter. Controlling string noise is out of the question with any amount of gain. I tried playing through the FM3 and some different plugins and its like having a permanent boost on with the level cranked. Every model I tried it on I had to dial the gain back to near zero and bump the noise gate way up just to control excessive noise from literally any contact or movement of strings, no matter how slight. On the plus side, chords and arpeggios sound great and every note is clear but single line runs and any quick power chord movements are a mess due to excessive noise from adjacent strings or my fingers moving across the strings from changing positions. Like, I'll be the first to admit I need to work on controlling noise and cleaning up my playing but this is far beyond that.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

Yeah, I'm looking into some replacements. It looks like the pickups in this guitar are also super close to the strings and can't be adjusted downward since they are already bottomed out in the cavities. Might take it to a tech and see if there's some way to fix that without lifting the action too much.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

A few days ago I traded out a 70s lawsuit era Univox LP to a kid from craigslist for this guy right here. Its a 2002 SG Special and its amazing. Just an excellent player. I almost never get decent trade offers on craigslist but this was one of the few times it happened and I'm pretty stoked. I've been wanting to get a new SG for a bit and, even though I had my heart set on a Standard, this was too good to pass up.

In other news, it turns out that Ibanez Prestige 7 I posted a little while ago had a set up issue that was causing the problems with the too hot pickups, tuning stability and the weird bridge feel. When I got a chance to actually sit down and try to figure out what was going on, I could see the back of bridge was pulled too far into the cavity and wasn't seated level with the body so the strings were way too low at the bridge pickup making them overly present and was also causing the issues with the fine tuners as well. I got the bridge adjusted to level and now it stays in tune and the pickups are much more manageable. In fact they sound pretty badass. Action was raised a tiny bit but still plenty low and fast. I feel like an idiot for not looking closer at the bridge earlier but now that I've adjusted it, the guitar plays and sounds super tight.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

Cabbages and Kings posted:

After 2 weeks in Fedex limbo, and an open insurance claim and two open traces, this showed up today, dropped off without the required signature and literally left in the rain :allears:. never fedex ground, never again

Just lmao if you use anything but USPS.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune
Needs more clamps. Where's the clamps

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune
Fish tanks and eurorack. Lots of good financial decisions going on in that pic!

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

muike posted:

I have a type.

heck yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001