Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Sixfools posted:

This baby should be arriving tomorrow! I am so loving pumped

http://www.themandolinstore.com/Scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=7439

That looks like one beautiful mandolin! The acoustics should be amazing... Lovely purchase! The 5-string electric in the OP looks fantastic two. I would love both of these in my collection :)

This is my latest purchase:

A RedSound DarkStar DSP synth with VOCODA CHIP!!!!

These dont come up for auction that often, so I was lucky to get it for £98 the other day. I'm planning to use my 6-string electric violin as the instrument carrier (for harmony/pitch/dynamics) and a mic for a phonetics... It should be arriving here any day now!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

It is the week of purchasing this week. I won this little baby on ebay this morning for £39 (less than the cost of most 2x2 USB midi interfaces that were for sale). If my memory serves me correctly, these were about £250 when new!

Its a pro 8 input/8 output USB midi interface with some pretty good routing options. For the electric violin live looping, I'm starting to midi sync with a lot of external effects. Giving each unit a seperate midi interface (not relying on routing via Midi Thru's) should tidy up some of the BPM glitches I've been receiving. I also have spare outputs to send midi clock code to DJ's/VJ's/etc. And the 8 midi inputs will mean that I can purchase a lot of old Midi triggering hardware to control the software.

*SMILING*

I also purchased 25 of these babies at a cost of £1.05 each:

The idea is to create my own 25 button USB/Midi pedal board by using the guts of an old Evolution MK425 keyboard... Its certainly a hell of a lot cheaper than the £800 for a Rocktron All access. If I'm successful with this project, I'll post a thread with pics.

[EDIT] The seller of the amt-8 emailed me this morning... He decided to test it before posting it, and it was dead... I'm not having much luck with ebay lately :(

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Dec 11, 2006

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

I've finally plucked up the courage, and spent the money that was reserved for carpeting my new flat on a Yamaha DGX-620 digital stage piano. gently caress the flooring... I made the right choice :)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

I recently sold my electric violin (illness prevents me from playing the violin any more), and have just this minute ordered one of these:

Its an Eigenharp Pico

I had to order it before the price rise in February, and currently don't have a suitable laptop to run it on - but I'm quickly trying to sell some other musical items to raise funds for one.

Its an amazing instrument, and will allow me to once again play stringed instruments with almost as much dynamic control as the real thing :)... as well as virtually any instrument under the sun.

I haven't been this excited for a long time! :)

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Eigenharp Pico, with dedicated MiniMac Core 2 Duo 2.26Ghz... with soon to be plugged in Korg Nano Desk <3

Words cannot describe how cool this setup is :) ... and it's all going to be plugged in for the first time into a live looping rig tomorrow.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

MrLonghair posted:

Is the included NanoKeys software worth the price over a half-price used one without it? I plan to use it as a hardware controller through my laptop mostly, for megaminimal rigs where I can only bring a sound module or sampler along with the laptop.

The Korg nano software is the same from all the nano controllers. You can download the drivers and software from their site (I had to do it a few weeks back) - though I'm too lazy to search for the link for you. Google is your friend ;)

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

MrLonghair posted:

Well if you want to be like that, if you'd googled you'd know I was talking about the Korg M1 LE software package. Only heard pro-reviews mention it as a thing by the side, curious about how good it is in practice by people I trust (ie goons).

Ah, poo poo... sorry. I saw talk about micro keyboards, and thought you were talking about the software for those. <hugs>

[Edit] for content: Just picked up one of these...

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

I bought a horrible electric guitar today, which is perfect as a body for my new DIY Eigenharp 'Alpha'. I've used industrial strength sticky-backed velcro to stick everything onto the guitar.

The Eigenharp Pico is on the neck... with a Korg nano pad underneath, and a Korg non kontrol just to the side of it. I plan to put at least one Korg nano keyboard on there too. Just the other side of the bridge (are they called bridges in guitars?) is a mini mouse trackball.
<3

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Col.Kiwi posted:

Yeah we guitarists call that a bridge too.

That thing is pretty cool. What kind of music are you making or do you aspire to make with it? What will you being doing with the trackball?

I plan to do have the ultimate live-looping rig... The pico controlling the instruments, the nano-pad triggering percussion/samples and the nano-kontrol controlling the live looping software. The trackball mouse is so that I can navigate the EigenD software environment...

The type of music will probably be quite classical/world fusion... I'm just going to let the style develop as it goes along :)

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Scarf posted:

Looks like a classier version of Future Man's drumitar.

Funny you should say that... He was my main inspiration for making this 'whatever-it-is' thing that I'm making.

I found an old guitar stand that allows for the 'whatever-it-is' to stand up like a cello, and I am able to play it without having to support the instrument whatsoever. It works really well :)

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

1karus posted:

You look kind of cramped. Personally I would advice in investing in some piece of poo poo bass. A full scale would be longer on the neck which might give you more room to expand for future hardware. You could also pull out the knobs, pots, pickups, and switch for even more room.

Yeah, I did eye up basses originally, but £££ issues meant I opted for this piece of crap electric. Its actually not that cramped though... The aim is to design something where my hands rarely have to move. All I have to do to the current model is find a way to raise it (i.e. by using a cello spike) so that I can get it to a more comfortable playing position... Either that or find a smaller stool. :)

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Pyrthas posted:

Put a box under the stand? Not as fancy as a spike, but in the interim.

Also where are those recordings you promised us huh?!

Yup - I'll find a way to raise it. A box is a good idea. As for the recordings, I had a pretty heavy relapse over the past couple of weeks which made me pretty much useless for anything. I'll try and get something online as soon as I can...

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

glennnyc posted:

When a coworker asked me the same question a few months ago, I told him to keep his eye out on Craigslist for anything in the Peavey KB line. I had found a kb-300 on the street a couple years ago and it serves this purpose well. I think he got a kb-100 for about 100 bucks, they get loud and sound great.

Yeah, the Peavey's are really good amps for the money, and you often see them advertised on the 2nd hand market. I used to own a KB-300 too, and I loved it.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

After chaining myself to a home studio that never worked for 'x' years since falling ill, I'm finally able to take my music out for walks:

I've just traded in my Eigenharp Pico and purchased a Korg Micropiano

I had earlier dismissed it as a toy, especially considering it had no midi/usb out. However, this changed when I saw this video of someone really playing it.

So it has given birth to a silent concert idea, where I'll improvise pieces in inspirational public places, but performed using headphones... record the improvisations using camcorder and minidisc (recording the direct line out), dub the sound from the digital recording of the piano and make youtube videos.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Cpt. Spring Types posted:

What purpose does the opening lid serve? Are there speakers inside?

Yes, there are 2 small speakers under the lid, or you have the option of using a 3.5mm line out/headphone socket for the sound. It can run on 6xAA batteries or 9V mains. Something I discovered after I purchased it is that it also has allows for half damping when used with a compatible damper pedal.

It's a lovely piece of kit :)

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

fuctifino posted:

I've just traded in my Eigenharp Pico and purchased a Korg Micropiano

Shamelessly quoting myself to say that the piano arrived today, and it is loving awesome! I haven't been able to stop playing it. The smaller keys were a challenge for the first hour or two, but now my fingers have adapted automatically to them. I'm finding that being able to stretch an octave+3 and more with one hand expands the possibilities hugely. The sound from the built-in speakers is a lot better than I ever imagined it to be. I can't rate this beast enough.

If you can do without USB/MIDI and just want an old-school keyboard instrument that sounds like a concert grand that you can carry around with you and play anywhere, then this is perfect.

I'll do a proper review when I have spent more time playing it :)

tl;dr It's not a toy.

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Sep 7, 2011

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Sunshine, space, coffee, nature and a loving grand piano. Life could not be so perfect :)

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Computer Jones posted:

Nice! :)

I think I remember you said you were taking a music degree- have you started yet?

I had to pull out of my attempt to go to uni. Due to me flunking a degree 20 years ago, they refused to give me a student loan for the tuition fees :(

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

I picked up a KORG DS-1H half damper pedal for my Korg Micropiano.

It was expensive, but it is a lovely solid pedal, and being able to quarter/half/three-quarter damp the sustain is lovely :)

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

I just applied for a £3000 loan. Surprisingly they said yes, and I'm going to be buying one of these any day now:

An Eigenharp Tau

I'm basically spending 20% of my DLA disability benefits for the next 3 years on this beauty that will (hopefully) allow me to play my music again. I really miss the dynamic scope of the violin, and I've not found an instrument that comes any where near close to producing the same dynamic range that I'm able to play. I've lost a lot of strength over the years, but I still have most of my dexterity - so this instrument is perfect. I haven't spent this sort of money on an instrument since I purchased my 6 string electric violin 12-13 years ago.

The Eigenharp plus my FCB1010 and FC200 midi pedalboards should give me quite a large range of possibilities for live looping. I really loving hope that this gamble pays off.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Cpt. Spring Types posted:

Didn't you have a Pico at one point as well? Maybe I'm thinking of someone else. An Eigenharp is like my dream instrument currently, so I too would love to hear some first hand accounts about how it plays and what it's like. They're just so drat cool.

Yeah, I got the Pico to try and win an Alpha model back in the day. It was great, but it just didn't have enough keys (16 playable) for what I needed it for. Also, the length of the model made it awkward to use the bowing feature in the cello mode. I ended up selling it to get a Korg Micropiano (which I love to bits)

Edit: Money came through. Ordered. Excited.

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Jul 17, 2012

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Bump.

It arrived :) Eigenharp Tau, basic base-station and an Acer i5 8GB laptop.

I've decided to use it horizontally (I'll find a way to extend the breathpipe) and am going to build a mini rig out of it with other micro input devices like this:

Happy days :)

P.S. The Tau is loving awesome. Words cannot describe how good this beast is.

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Jul 17, 2012

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

I just splashed out £200 for the cello spike for my Eigenharp Tau. It's pretty much an essential piece of kit if you want full control of the sensitivity of the instrument. It's just a shame it turned out to be so pricey.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

I'm picking up a 2nd hand one of these on Monday :)

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

I found a good deal for the M-Audio 2496 @ Maplins for £39.99 including free delivery. I purchased it, then before the card could drop through my letterbox, the motherboard on my tower PC fried (it had an intermittent fault which suddenly became permanent).

I can't afford a new motherboard until well into the new year, but I think I'm going to keep hold of this card until then.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

After a long break from music after falling ill with CFS/ME, I thought gently caress it, took out a couple of big loans, and am setting up a live looping rig for the first time since 2004'ish.

My new Line 6 Firehawk FX and Boss RC-505 looper (along with my old mixing desk and FCB1010 floorboard)

My new Line 6 Variax Standard guitar (I love the banjo and sitar modelled sounds)

And a Hammer Jammer installed on the guitar to aid my crippled fingers

I'm only a week or so into the project, and have only just this evening managed to program everything to talk to each other, and should be properly live looping this weekend and beyond. I'm documenting everything on https://www.facebook.com/SoloStringProject if anyone remembers me from the SA of old, and wants to keep up to date with developments.

In other news, I'm in debt for the next 24 months, but gently caress it. lol :)

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

BIG TIT LIL NIP posted:

debt owns, gear rules. god speed to you sir, cant wait to hear what you create with this set up!

Thanks. I finally got the Midi pedalboard to talk to the looper (which required a delicate ROM upgrade for the FCB1010 and a load of programming that I didn't understand). I pissed around for about 10 minutes earlier, and did a proof of concept musical fart - https://www.facebook.com/SoloStringProject/videos/2098915727034999/

Health is pretty lovely at the moment, so I couldn't play for long... but it gives an idea as to the scope of this setup. I'm excited to see what I come up with when I get a good health window and a bucket of weed. The hammer jammer requires a bit of effort to master, so I'm leaving that for another day.

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Sep 21, 2018

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

I'm going in balls deep with the live looping.

I've had the 2 microkey keyboards for ages, but have hardly used them. The 88 key Swissonic controller was bought a few months ago, and has only been used once. The Akai MPD is also pretty much new and unused.

Plan for the next test:

88 key keyboard: Bosenforfer Grand. (EW)
61 key keyboard: Solo or chamber strings (EW)
37 key keyboard: EWQL voices of the empire on legato patches.
Akai MPC controlling either acoustic/classical percussion, or a hang drum.

As well as the Variax standard -> Firehawk FX

All going into a foot controlled Boss RC-505 looper.

It'll be interesting when all of this is plugged in and wired up.

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Sep 24, 2018

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Pondex posted:

That's a neat setup. What kind of music are you making with it?

I had a similar live looping setup in 2002 where I plugged electric violins, Irish flutes and a 25 key VST keyboard, with the looping all controlled with the same midi pedalboard. I have one surviving experimental recording from that time - https://soundcloud.com/stuwyatt/nov22-snippet-full-impro - So probably something like this, but with a lot more options and freedom.... but with a 16 year older crippled brain and no violins.

TL;DR: I have no idea yet.

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Sep 26, 2018

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

2nd Stagg keyboard stand arrived. Looping console and Akai MPD218 positioned where they should be. I know it's upside down. It means the pads are closer to my strumming hand.

I can now sit at middle C on the piano, have the variax strapped around my neck, and strum a note, hit a trigger pad or two then play something on the piano with sustain, all while the original guitar note is sustaining... all in the same loop cycle. Once payday comes, I can get the missing keyboard stand to have the two microkeys in a place I can easily get to with my eyes closed.

The stand coming before next weekend to house the microkeys:

I was earlier asked what sort of music it will be, and this an element i want to dive down.

Minimalist operatic, classical, dub, ethnic, jazz, folk fusion... an ever organic journey that could last 5 or 20 minutes... but keep it 'less is more' with regards to the loops themselves. CFS/ME is really bad at moment, so hard to explain. I want to record the music in my brain as I hear it, as it happens.

When I was last into live looping, it was mostly based around violins - https://soundcloud.com/stuwyatt/thursday-piece (from 2002). Last time I recorded the music in my head in a quick one-take environment, using cubase, I produced this - https://soundcloud.com/stuwyatt/dark in about 2-3 hours. I had to stop as I hit mental and cognitive brick walls. It hosed up my CFS/ME really bad. I can't use DAWs or multi-track any more. That was about 8 months ago. I've had many aborted attempts to get back into some sort of music.

I seem to be able to effortless live loop though, so I want to do as much as I can. I have 12 years of musical constipation to get out. This is my last chance, so I'm going balls deep in the effort. Apart from a few USB leads, hubs and webcams and the stand, I have everything I need.

e: I also have an Eigenharp Tau that I bought years ago that I only used for a few hours. I'd like to set it up above the electric piano, and have the 4 rows assigned to EWQL's Double bass, then cellos, then violas, then violins... or combinations of those depending on what works, and have a full string orchestra that I can play with one hand. But it requires a loving PHd to understand, so I'll have to find someone in the wild to program it all for me. That's for further down the road.

P.S. I'm a bit insane at the moment. :)

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Sep 30, 2018

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

This is a side project, and also contains new stuff.

Yamaha Guitalele, now with the Hammer Jammer fixed to it, and I'm experimenting with multiclap positions. It's something to play when the illness forces me to bed, though it would be fun to find a way to mic it up one day.

It has velcro pads underneath, and can be easily attached to my fretless ubass.

It's the most cripple friendly instrument combo I have.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

^^^ [Edit] I have nothing of this project on soundcloud. Everything is currently documented just on the facebook page, which you shouldn't need an account to view. I haven't done any proper recordings apart from a few concept tests, as I spent all my medicine money for 2-3 months to pay for the deposit for the loans, so haven't been able to perform properly. This is early access early construction phase, but feel free to see and understand what I'm trying to do. http://facebook.com/SoloStringProject

ChocNitty posted:

For $600 with hardshell case and gig bag, I couldn’t resist. Gonna plug it into my iRig HD 2 for some garageband jams.

That is one stunningly beautiful guitar. How does it sound?

e: vvvv :kimchi:

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Sep 30, 2018

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Borrowed £50 from my mum for a few days, which means I'll be getting the missing keyboard stand tomorrow :)

Re: what I want to achieve, the closest live looper I've discovered who is on a similar wavelength is this guy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYV2-8AdvDQ.. but I'll be using trigger pads and midi, with the full EWQL Composer Cloud library for a lot of the sounds (when not using variax/voice/whistles/flutes)... instead of actual instruments, and probably being a lot more classical and ethnic/folky.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Keyboard stand arrived way too early today. It meant that I had it installed before I'd even finished my first covfefe. Hello microkeyboards and eventual stand space for the Eigenharp Tau.

And the chaos from above, showing nearly everything I own and have bought over the past ~10 years. I've decided to use the nanoKontrol2 instead of the Swissonic88 sliders, as my system is already configured to use it. I've also added my old Korg nanopad2 just below the Akai MPD. I hope to have this mostly wired up and working by the end of the day, but I might collapse before then.

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Oct 2, 2018

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

The Gasmask posted:

Hey fuctifino, just noticed your Variax post from earlier in Sept.

What do you think of the thing?

For the price, I think it's amazing for the range of sounds it offers. I got my Variax Standard for £399 from Andertons (great company!), and on credit too (suckers!). It didn't need much setting up, and I've liked loving around with banjo and sitar quite a lot. I'm not a Jimi Hendrix guitarist, and don't know chords, so I don't know how it compares to other electric guitars. I have the FirehawkFX too, which really allows me to utilise the guitar... i.e. there will be lots of string retunings on the fly so that i don't have to finger chords and things. I also get a really good and natural bass sound out of it too. So as far as musical opportunities per £££, the Variax has been one of my best purchases to date imo.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

I can understand why purists won't like the Variax, i.e. the modelled D20 sounds nothing like a real D20... Same with the banjo and sitar etc. But I've never been an audiophile, and I focus on what it can sound like and what it can do, rather than what it can't. Not having any kind of reference point when it comes to guitars helps I guess.

If you build your own guitar with a variax pickup, please make sure you also add a sustaniac ;)

e: this kind of technology has come a long way since my old DG20 (which I got ~30 years ago)

e: vvv That's a lovely guitar collection. I have a poo poo load of different ukes and a Haley Benton 5 string fretless bass that I've picked up over the past couple of years. I'll take a photo of them when I get the studio corner tidied up a bit.

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Oct 2, 2018

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Final completed console. 3 tiers of keyboards & 2 trigger pads controlling separate VSTs (from EW's Composercloud), with volume and pan for the VSTs controlled by the nanoKontrol2. The variax has yet to be plugged in.

Also in picture, a monitor I picked up for £25 on a local FB group, a cheap monitor clamp stand that I got a while back, a Neewer cheap as gently caress microphone on a cheap as gently caress chinese mic clamp, and a Fire 7 inch tablet that I rooted and installed the FirehawkFX app on a cheap as gently caress mobile arm clamp.

Now it's time to collapse. I literally have £0.28 to my name now. lol. But I get paid in under 2 hours, so it's all good.

:smug:

e: vvv thanks

I did a video explaining the ins and outs of the switched off studio, what everything does and why it's where it is. Now it's built, I have to leave it switched off until I recover a bit of health. That's the hard part. lol. https://www.facebook.com/SoloStringProject/videos/2095072914076297/

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Oct 3, 2018

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

I took the plunge and ordered the new(ish) Chieftan V5 low D tuneable whistle. The V5's are only available directly from Phil, the maker, and are £99 for the non tuneable and £140 for the tuneable versions. They sound amazing on the videos that I've watched. It should be with me any day now :)

http://kerrywhistles.com/product-category/whistles/chieftain-v5/

e: And she's just turned up, and sounds incredible. It sounds very similar to the original Overton low D whistles, and has a beautiful rasp. The mouthpiece is a work of art.

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Oct 19, 2018

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Hopefully this is the last thing that I'm going to be buying for a while. It's a Palmer DMS dynamic mic switcher. I'm going to be using it as a mute switch rather than a switcher, so that I can leave the mic volume permanently set on the RC-505 looper, and use my feet to punch the mic in and out.

e: vvv <3 Thank you :)

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Oct 22, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

I can't stop buying instruments. Today's purchase was an emotional support Meinl TSDDG1-BK Trombone Digeridoo.

It's only £44 on Amazon Prime in the UK

I need to find a way to clip on a cheap mic to the end, and I think it could be an interesting analogue bass synth for the looping rig.