Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

phantom309
Nov 11, 2001
Pride O' the Campground
This evil little thing:

15 watts, all tube class A with el84's, one input, two knobs, complete and utter loving screamer. The first batch they made in the 90s had bad output transformers and they developed a bad reputation for reliability - but almost all of them have since been upgraded to a stronger unit. You can pick them up pretty cheaply on the used market. This one cost $330 and sounds like a Matchless Lightning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

phantom309
Nov 11, 2001
Pride O' the Campground

Pablo Gigante posted:

Brand new Vox AC-15, just purchased today. She sounds heavenly :swoon:

I've got one of those. If you think it sounds great now, wait till you hear it in a couple weeks when the speaker breaks in.

phantom309
Nov 11, 2001
Pride O' the Campground

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

The Korg padKontrol. Finally, I can get back into (wanting to) make drum tracks, rather than just use loops. I dislike electronic, super quantized drums. I'd prefer to fake a rock drummer, and from the demos on korg.com, especially with the roll function, I can't loving wait.

I've had one for a while. I gave up trying to program drum tracks and I just learned to play the thing in real time, like a keyboard. For that purpose it works very well. It's actually the first drum machine/controller I've ever owned that actually feels like it was designed to be played like a real instrument. Pads are better than the MPD16 and MUCH better than the Trigger Finger. I thought the Akai was somewhat more solidly built, but I've been pounding the hell out of the Korg for a year now and it's still fine. You'll be happy with it.

phantom309
Nov 11, 2001
Pride O' the Campground

magnificent7 posted:

Not to be Debbie Downer - but isn't this the thing that can seriously mess up your amp, if you dial in the wrong numbers?

DON'T get the Power Soak - those things are notorious. Get either the THD Hotplate or a 50-watt Weber MASS. They sound about the same: as good as those things get. Don't bother with the Mini-MASS or the boutique units.

I had a Bluesbreaker reissue with the Hotplate and it was magic. I ran the living hell out of that rig for years with no problems until I stupidly sold them both years ago.

The nice thing about the Hotplate is that it only comes in one impedance; 8-ohm, 16-ohm and so on. You can't adjust it. The reason this is good is that your 4-year-old won't be able to twist the chickenhead knob around on your MASS so that it looks like it's set at the correct 8 ohms, when it in fact is set at 2 ohms....thereby causing you to COMPLETELY loving DESTROY YOUR BELOVED SUPER loving EXPENSIVE KENDRICK AMP while running it wide open during a session....

phantom309
Nov 11, 2001
Pride O' the Campground

Von posted:

We bought one of those earlier this year, and it's a really great amp, but we found it to be incredibly quiet. Since I'm not the guitarist, I didn't think much of it and just mic'd it up, but now I'm curious. Was that just a one-off?

Mine's pretty loud for 15 watts, but I don't know if it could keep up with a really loud drummer. It's also one of the least noisy amps I've ever owned.

phantom309
Nov 11, 2001
Pride O' the Campground

pennywisdom posted:

...And here is my newest guitar, a trashed to hell 1971 Gibson SG. One of the previous owners decided it would be a good idea to sand down the horns. Bastard.

I remember that thread. That looks a lot cooler than those lovely backward pics had me thinking. I bet it's a kick in the rear end to play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

phantom309
Nov 11, 2001
Pride O' the Campground

Carbohydrates posted:

Already got some, actually. A pair of Lindy Fralin Blues Specials. Always wanted to try them out.

Got 'em on both my Fenders. They sound fantastic.