Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Recently received this as a gift from my uncle. He said he bought it at a flea market in Juarez for $30 about 20 years ago. It had a busted tuning peg and steel strings when I got it, so it sounded like garbage. $10 fixed both of those problems, and now it sounds pretty good, especially for the price. I am hardly a classical guitar player, but I'm having a blast playing the same bossa nova rhythm a thousand times.

The sticker inside says it was made in Paracho, Michoacan, but apparently a lot of these super cheap "Mexican" guitars are actually made in China, so who knows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Nothing too exciting, but I've always hated the look of my '89 Squier II Strat. It was my first guitar, and it plays great, but it's about as far away from a traditional Strat look as you can get while still having the word "Stratocaster" on the headstock.

I don't have any before pictures, but it looked identical to this one I found online:

It's just so drat boring. Ordered a $5 accessory kit and now it looks like this:

I couldn't find a white pickup ring that wouldn't take ages to get here, so I just painted the old one. I've never painted plastic before, and I was surprised at how well it took the paint.

The old knobs have been donated to my RG120, which has been knobless since the day I bought it.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

That's an amazing pawn shop find! It looks brand new. I've been scrounging the local shops for a Fender or Squier (preferably an offset, but I'll take anything) with a maple fretboard, and I haven't found a single one. So so so many Starcasters though.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Just ordered a THR10 to replace my Squier Champ 15 that shorts out when you look at it sideways.

It's my first new amp purchase in like fifteen years. Got it new off eBay for $100 less than it would have cost locally.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Yeah, I considered the "specialty" THRs, but everybody seems to love the original, and I get way more excited about versatility rather than any specific tone. Plus that white is gonna look so much cooler than all of my other boring black guitar poo poo.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Should be here next week.The wiring will be way more complicated than either of my other two builds, but at least I get a break on the painting and sanding.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

^^^ I'm interested in how this plays/sounds. I'm in the market for a knock-off Tele (or an MIM if I ever saw a cheap one) and I've heard Xavieres are pretty good. Right now I'm leaning towards a G&L.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

That's pretty cool for $90! It's hard to find anything that isn't a knock off Strat or generic metal guitar at that price. As long as the neck is good, with a new switch/pots and some elbow grease it'll be a really nice guitar.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

My main "pedalboard" is a G3Xn, but it's a little bulky for my THR10 office setup, and I wanted a something just to color my tone a little bit. At $10 on black friday, this was too good to pass up. And I love that insanely generic box art.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

This looks fantastic! You should get a clear pickguard or just skip it entirely.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

I dunno if you've put together a Tele before, but trying to get the pickguard/control plate/bridge/neck pocket lined up perfectly was by far the most frustrating part about my build. If I could go back and do it without a pickguard, I absolutely would. Plus that finish looks great without it.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Open box + on sale + Musician's Friend credit means I got a mandolin for $20. Plays and sounds great, even though I only know like 3 chords so far. I just can't figure out how to make the tailpiece cover stay in place.

I think the clip-on tuner's gonna live on this thing for a while. I can tune a guitar by ear, but figuring out which of the unison strings is out of tune is harder than I imagined.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

I vacillate between "I am completely satisfied with my gear" and "ahhh gently caress I need [X] guitar RIGHT NOW." I bought 4 guitars between 99 and 06 and then went ten years without buying or selling anything, until 2017-18 when I bought/built 5 new instruments.

It's stupid because 100% of my playing is at home. I could sell everything but my LP Studio and be fine, but I enjoy the variety. Picking up each one brings out a different mood and different music. If I had $5,000 to blow on guitars, I'd rather buy ten wildly different mid-range guitars than a single vintage Strat or whatever.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Yeah, I have no particular knowledge about industrial manufacturing or anything, but it's been interesting to watch the national hierarchy shuffle around the globe. When I first started playing, Korean guitars were dodgy at best and Indonesian/Chinese guitars were unheard of. Now two of my best-playing guitars are Indonesian and everybody raves about Chinese CVs.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

If you hear a "ping" sound while tuning, try lubricating the nut/saddles/string trees before writing off the tuners. It costs nothing and if it works you'll save $40 or whatever new ones cost.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Left new, right old:

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Holy poo poo that owns. I loooooove oddball Fender designs, and the early Tele-style P bass is one of my favorites.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

$50 Glarry Strat. Plays and sounds exactly how you'd expect, but it's really not bad. Fattest neck I've ever played, now I know what people mean when they say "baseball bat" neck. Frets are fine, finish is fine. Pickups are noisy, but who cares, it cost less than a video game. Certainly better than the $99 Squier Bullets I played growing up.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

I love that Squier SG. Gibson/Epiphone have done a handful of budget knockoff Strats, but you hardly ever see the opposite.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Wow this thing owns. I was always disappointed that Fender half-assed their Troublemaker Teles from a few years back. If you're gonna do it, do it right!

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

widefault posted:

Per the Firefly Facebook group, there are SG and Jazzmaster copies in the prototype stage

I'll probably buy both of these sight unseen. I'm still kicking myself for missing out on their LP Jrs.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Rogue RLS-1 lap steel. Really nice for $79 shipped. I'll upgrade the strings here in the next few weeks, but other than that I have zero complaints. Except for the screws, they throw me off because my eyes read them as fret markers.

Lap steels are extremely simple instruments, so it's not hard to make a good one, but I'm still impressed. Also came with the nicest gig bag I've ever had, really sturdy with lots of compartments to hold the included legs.

C6 tuning is kind of mindbending after decades of standard guitar, but it feels quite natural after a few days; I can grab the note I want while improvising about 80% of the time.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Rock Paper Tongue posted:

I've been wanting to try out a sitar or a shamisen, but they're not exactly plentiful here in Arizona. I did find this Danelectro sitar from Sweetwater, and I also found this guy selling shamisens out of California. Does anyone have any experience with either of these, or any advice about where I I should be looking?

Just be aware that that Dano, despite its name, is less a sitar than a standard guitar with a weird bridge and some sympathetic strings (that apparently aren't all that sympathetic.) I've never played one, but it never gets close to an authentic sitar sound, to my ears.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYJb1lpXnp0

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

God I love metal Teles. Such a strangely unexplored design space IMO.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Every new guitar I buy I think "Oh man I can't believe I already scratched up this pickguard" and then discover it's covered in cling film. There are often two layers, and the second layer is much harder to peel off than the first.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

:wtc: lmao at those fret dots.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

I would love a plugin that could just put DS-10 straight into my DAW. I had so much fun with that thing back in the day; it's 100x more intuitive for my dumb brain than any other software synth I've found.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

I'm interested in something like that. I'm interested in messing around with electronic music but I find loving with DAWs and VSTs just exhausting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

rickiep00h posted:

The only reason I still have my first guitar, a Squier II Korean Strat, is because it has the best neck out of everything I own. It's been my weird experimentation platform and at this point the only thing that hasn't been changed is the bridge, which I'm still considering, and the frets, which are on the list.

It's an intro guitar bought and mangled by a kid, but drat if doesn't play like a dream, better than a lot of pro-level instruments I've played in similar configurations.

Hell yeah I love my Korean Squire II. The only problem is that it's pushing 40 (like me) and could use a refret, which would cost many times what the guitar is worth.