Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrChu
May 14, 2002

I'd like a Graphite Pearl Stingray HH, but I may settle for the single pickup version.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrChu
May 14, 2002

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230088117941

Can't wait for this to arrive. Then I can start looking into upgrading my amplification setup.

DrChu
May 14, 2002

Bass finally arrived yesterday

What's going on in this case?

o i c

Poor attempt at winding strings by the previous owner

Bridge needs adjustment

I played for about an hour after it arrived (it was even still in tune), then did some exciting grocery shopping and other errands. When I got back I decided to fix the strings and adjust the bridge, then play some more. When I plugged it back in and hit the first note, instead of the nice Stingray tone I had before I had something a lot closer to how my Jazz sounds. I experimented around a little and finally figured out that somehow the coil closest to the bridge was not on. Now I have to trouble-shooting that (I'll make a seperate thread as to not derail this one).

Once that gets sorted out I'll probably change the pickguard to a 3-ply white one or maybe a flat black. Other than that its great as it stands.

DrChu
May 14, 2002

Shryke posted:

Just bought one of these. Going home from university to collect it tomorrow. Fender Aerodyne Telecaster.
Is the back contoured at all, the black paint makes it hard to tell from the pictures.

DrChu
May 14, 2002

Ghostpilots posted:

A week ago I picked a G&L L-2000 bass from eBay. It arrived yesterday:
Looks great, I'm seriously considering getting rid of my Stingray HH for one of these. I know there's a huge variety of settings for the pickups, can you get a decent P-bass or J-bass tone from it? Any other notable sounds?

DrChu
May 14, 2002

Ghostpilots posted:

Before this starts to sound too much like an advertisement, I'll just say this: When someone goes out and buys a Stingray, for instance, it is because they want that distinctive Stingray growl. Don't want to limit yourself to only a Stingray tone? Too loving bad, go buy another bass. G&L's let you do it all, whenever you want, so you aren't limited to only the "distinctive" tone. Which isn't to say my L-2000 has an unremarkable tone, far from it, it's just that when I bought this bass I wanted to know that I'd be covered if I ever needed to sound like someone else for awhile. And I am.
This is the reason I got the Stingray HH, because I thought the second pickup could give me a nice variety of options, which it does except that it can't really pull off a Precision. In hindsight I should have spent a little more time with the HS version, that will do a Precision a at the expense of one of the Jazz-like tones. The options I'm looking into are either finding someone to trade straight-up for a HS, rewire the pickup selector on the HH, or sell the thing and buy a Jazz Bass (which gets enough of a Precision tone for me) and a regular Stingray later, or something like the L2000.

DrChu
May 14, 2002

edit: whoops

DrChu
May 14, 2002

ReverendHammer posted:

I just hope it doesn't sound like complete and utter rear end, though.
They have some sounds clips on their website:

http://www.ztamplifiers.com/lunchbox2.html

http://www.ztamplifiers.com/future1.html

Sounds ok, but of course they wouldn't put bad sounding clips up to advertise it. The "cranked" larger one is a bit muddy though.

DrChu
May 14, 2002

Laser level, stud finder, and four hook things?

oic

DrChu
May 14, 2002

PenguinBob posted:

what's that Ashdown pedal?
Its their Bass Chorus Plus pedal. I'm thinking of selling it and putting the money towards one of their Drive Plus pedals, I like the idea of having a separate high/low overdrive with a movable split.

DrChu
May 14, 2002

Walter posted:

Out of curiosity, how much did those hooks run you? I've got a $50 card for GC, and I've been meaning to do what you've done for some time.

I'm not opposed to going over the card amount - I've got six or seven instruments I'd like to hang up - but I've been trying to get hooks that are actually okay for the instrument, and are still reasonably priced.
I got them from Amazon, the total for five hangers (one is going in my living room) after shipping was $42.62, each stand was $7.49 from the seller Stinnett's Music (who unfortunately doesn't seem to be a choice any more - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002GLCRC).

The laser level was $15 and the stud finder $10, the hangers come with anchors that allow you to put them anywhere in the wall, but I wanted the extra security of them being on a stud. The laser level was just to keep everything in a neat line.

DrChu
May 14, 2002

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

edit - ahh ok FDP means Fender Discussion Page. Looks like a big message board community, is there a certain place to look for the pics of that type of strat ?
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2212134&userid=0&perpage=40&highlight=fdp&pagenumber=13#post324409292

If that link doesn't work its on page 13 of this thread.

DrChu
May 14, 2002

Uh-oh, boredom at work + eBay is killing my bank account:

~2005 American Standard Jazz Bass, $590 and no shipping because the seller lives about ten miles away. I've been trying to trade my Stingray HH on craigslist, but the only offers I got were for things I didn't want or ask for. Now I guess I'll just try to sell it.

I've only played the new bass for a little bit, its a bit lighter than the Stingray and my MIM Jazz and Precision. It needs new strings and the action raised a bit, but other than that its in great shape. The S-1 switching isn't doing much for me, it just gives you a j-bass tone with a boosted low end and overall muddier sound, not really like a p-bass tone at all. Everything sounds fine in the normal mode which is what really matters to me anyway.

DrChu
May 14, 2002

Noise Machine posted:

Order this big rear end black box about a week ago. Should be here in the next day or so.

But this means that I have to find a head to go with it, and play the waiting game. I'm looking at a used Ampeg solid state, the B2RE if possible.
I've been thinking about getting one of these to go along with my SVT-3 Pro. The only thing that's stopping me is that I'm not sure if I want one big cabinet rather than two smaller ones.

mesc posted:

Well, after waffling for over a month on whether or not to buy it, I bought it.

Its pretty and plays real nice =D

Also impulse bought a little big muff at the same time.
Looks great, what kind of Tele is it?

DrChu
May 14, 2002

Agreed posted:

This mic plus this mic pre is a great guitar home recording setup for under $70 shipped to most places. The "Rock Demo" clip that I posted earlier was a recording made with that mic and the mic pre's bigger brother with USB and some improvements and added features. Same basic preamp sound though.
Can you elaborate on the "bigger brother?" I've been considering the Tube MP to liven up my rig a little bit, and having the ability to also record via USB is very appealing.

DrChu
May 14, 2002

Adrian Finol posted:

Just got it yesterday:

Everything looks great except those inlays. One of the guitarists in my band has a plain black Classic and those yellow inlays stick out like a sore thumb.

DrChu
May 14, 2002

7 Bowls of Wrath posted:

I am excited about it. I wonder if it has an on-off LED? Some of the older ZVEX stuff doesnt seem to have on-off LEDs. Anyone out there have one of these that can confirm it for me?
Wouldn't the blinking lights showing where in the pattern you are be a good indication for on/off?

DrChu
May 14, 2002

3toes posted:

EDIT: And here's Ed Friedland doing a demo of one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WT4AP58jC5o
Ugh, some of his videos are ok but that's one of the worst. Slapping through every pickup combination is not the best way to show off the L2000 (because the majority of combos do not work well with slap).

For GRBass, to summarize the video and briefly breakdown the controls, the L2000 has:

two humbuckers
volume, bass cut, treble cut
three way pickup selection
series/parallel selection
passive/active/active with treble boost

Those switches will give you 18 combinations, but of course not all of them are good. In general, parallel is going to be weaker (and thinner) than series, and active and passive don't sound too different (active is a touch louder).

Neck pickup, series, passive - close to a P-Bass sound. Its a pretty big sound, add some treble boost to really cut through

Both pickups, series, passive - similar to a J-Bass sound.

Bridge pickup, parallel, active - as close to a Stingray as you'll get. Its a pretty weak sound, not much bass. You can add the treble boost to get some more presence, but that's not going to help the weak low end at all.

Both pickups, parallel, pre-amp to taste - probably the best use of the parallel mode. Somewhat of a J-Bass sound, but different enough from the series option.

Both pickups, series, active with treble boost - huge sound, you can get some Tool-like tones out of this.

There are plenty of other combos, but nothing really that great (you'll probably never want to use the neck pickup in parallel, for instance). The volume level between settings can vary greatly, so you'll need to be mindful of that if you're changing settings on the fly.

DrChu
May 14, 2002

This room is becoming a tribute to Leo Fender:

What's new is the Stingray, which replaced my former Stingray HH, the L-2000, and the MIM Jazz lying on top of the case.

The MIM Jazz and L-2000 will be up for trade/sale soon. The L-2000 has been around the block and currently has a neck from a Legacy Bass that has seen some repairs. It plays fine but the G&L sound doesn't quite do it for me. The Jazz was cheap and in decent shape, but I already have an American and another MIM and I really don't need three of the same bass.

Bought some pedals too:

The Rusty Box is meant to sound like the Traynor TS50B and it does a good job at it. Some more info at http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=375523 and http://www.electrical.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=24845

The VT Bass is supposed to emulate various Ampeg amps, but its not a simple turn it on and you have the sound like the Rusty Box is. You need to spend some time dialing in the sound, and the suggested settings in the manual are pretty lousy. (Those aren't my settings on either pedal, I just pulled them out of a bag for the shot).

I'll try to bump the Bass Tone thread this week with some clips of both.

DrChu
May 14, 2002

A couple weeks ago I noted that almost all my instruments are Leo Fender designed, so I did something about it:

What did UPS deliver?

A 1979 Rickenbacker 4001!

Boredom at work + ebay resulted in me finding a great deal on this bass. I don't think it was originally Mapleglo, and the back and neck have been repainted black some some reason. But the top finish is flawless so I don't mind. Of course it has a couple issues though. First thing it needs is a setup, the intonation's off and the neck needs to be a bit flatter. Then there are some bigger issues to tackle:

I'm pretty sure it has a non-original pickguard. There are a few extra screw holes underneath, and then the obvious issue with the neck pickup being misaligned. That pickup seems a bit weak so I hope better placement will help that.

Replacement tuners that give the string no break angle over the nut, which requires that retainer be used to line up the strings. I would like to get some more stockish tuners on instead.

DrChu fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Oct 29, 2008

DrChu
May 14, 2002

Geisladisk posted:

:pwn:

3toes posted:

You son of a bitch.

If it makes you feel any better any sort of routine adjustment/maintenance on this is a bitch.

DrChu
May 14, 2002

hamaien posted:

Do you even need a bassist at that point?

Even if you find a bassist good luck finding an audience.

DrChu
May 14, 2002

Schatten posted:

Indeed it is. It first struck me as "holy cow!" on the 5.98 EP when Jason Newstead was just getting into Metallica recording. Incredible tone, and I wish I could get my mits on one. The prices are just too far up there at the moment. Maybe with the economy going down the shitter, I'll be able to pick up a deal!
He didn't start using Wals until after ...And Justice For All was recorded, so on that EP you're not hearing one. Plus the tone doesn't even sound like a Wal, the intro for "Crash Course in Brain Surgery" sounds more like a Precision.

DrChu
May 14, 2002

ACID POLICE posted:

600 watts
160 watts, not 600.

DrChu
May 14, 2002

ACID POLICE posted:

I double checked and it says 210. The guy at the shop told me it was 600, and I was like :raise: - but that makes a lot more sense.

It's about 15-20 years old but it's loud and heavy as hell.

You're right, I looked up the regular Renown and not the Renown 400. The 600 watt figure is the power consumption. Here's the manual in case you haven't found it yet - http://www.peavey.com/assets/literature/manuals/80300142.pdf

DrChu
May 14, 2002

Noise Machine posted:

Wha bam

edit: HOLY poo poo table breakage.

Linked for size.

Click here for the full 1600x1200 image.

Where'd you get that Jazz Bass parts breakout picture?

DrChu
May 14, 2002

scuz posted:

What does the slap echo do on that thing anyway? I dunno was a slap echo is.
It produces a near-immediate, one repeat echo at about half the volume of the original note. Its more noticeable on cleaner settings.

DrChu
May 14, 2002

Schatten posted:

Details details? Headstock picture por favor!

Minto Took posted:

That's one of the Jaco-type models, isn't it?

Looks like you guys got :pranke:

http://thepocket.multiply.com/journal/item/61

DrChu
May 14, 2002

There's been too much talk about weaksauce 5 watt amplifiers lately. I'm stepping things up a bit.

Sorry for the bad cell phone picture, let's zoom in on a stock image:

"All-Tube Bass Amplifier"

And that 300? Watts. (actually 320)

UPS just delivered it today. I haven't been too happy with my Markbass Little Mark II lately (its kind of unreliable in iffy power situations if I push the volume at all) and I guess Eden has discontinued these because they are going for pretty cheap. I haven't had too much of a chance to play around with it but its been pretty good so far. More aggressive than the LMII as you push the gain, the footswitchable overdrive kinda sucks though. Definitely loud. I have two gigs this weekend I'm thinking about bringing it to, the only thing stopping me is that I haven't rehearsed with it yet and gotten it dialed in in a band situation. I will miss the LMII's weight though, this thing is about ten times as heavy.

DrChu
May 14, 2002

warwick5s posted:

Oh poo poo, that is a great amp. I think that's the Koch designed one, right?

That's their VT300 or whatever its called. There's debate whether this is an original design or shared with a couple other similar amps. But they're not available in the US and the only other amp similar is the Traynor YBA200, and even that goes for more than this cost me.

Unfortunately I discovered an issue today. With the amp head on top of my cabinet and at a decent volume, the power tubes rattle when I play an F# :( I'm gonna call the store I bought it from tomorrow and see if they got insurance or anything on the shipping. KT-88s are pricey.

DrChu
May 14, 2002

Scarf posted:

God I can't loving decide...

Ampeg SVT 2-Pro or...

That bass is ugly, even for a Lakland. Maybe if the two halves of the top matched it would look better, but having one side dark and the other light doesn't look right.

My vote is for the amp.

DrChu
May 14, 2002

I decided the Eden E300T I posted a couple months back about wasn't for me, so I've been trying to sell it on craigslist. After weeks of no real attention someone offered a trade of a Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 and Ampeg SVT 210 AV so I went for it.

I already have a Markbass Little Mark II, so I'll compare the two for a while and sell the one I like less.

The Ampeg cabinet is surprising light, almost 20 pounds less than my Avatar 210. I'm going to use the two together for a while and buy a second of whichever seems better. The Ampeg has no tweeter which I'm looking forward to trying out, because using any sort of overdrive/distortion with a tweeter is painful and I'd like to incorporate that into my sound more.

DrChu
May 14, 2002

Carbohydrates posted:

So did you guys see this new Gibson? It's the "Zoot Suit SG" and it's ugly as poo poo:

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/SG/Gibson-USA/SG-Zoot-Suit.aspx

Except for the black and white finish, which I personally love:

http://www.gibson.com/Files/USA/SGs/Zoot-SG/FinishImages/SGZTBWCH1-Finish-Shot.jpg

I could see myself playing that...

I'm surprised at the level of detail Gibson is putting into their product pages now. I don't really care about the string slot width on the nut or what brand of glue holds the neck and body together, but I'm sure somebody does and its great they're providing that info.

DrChu
May 14, 2002

While 37 pounds is nice, I can't see paying $1800 for a Peavey anything. That kind of money will get you almost any other amp on the market today. Are there any examples of what its tone is like?

DrChu
May 14, 2002

Thumposaurus posted:

Awhile back I posted a picture of a bunch of parts from Stew-Mac.

I finally got around to putting some of it to use, the rest will be added after the body sits for 30 days for the paint to cure.

More pictures to come after I start putting it together.
Sneak preview

1. Those inlays are huge.
2. The body reminds me of something like an Epiphone Wilshire, were 60s-era Epiphones an inspiration for this?

DrChu
May 14, 2002

You should be able to save presets on the DL4. Did you read the manual?

DrChu
May 14, 2002

royalejest posted:

How's that Memory Boy treating you?

DrChu
May 14, 2002

bisticles posted:

but the truth is that it makes your guitar sound like a $12 Casio keyboard being played through a 5 watt Gorilla amp that's been thrown out of a speeding car.

That seems to be a surprisingly accurate description:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6Tj13G1sI0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-ky5EbxSV8

DrChu
May 14, 2002

Allparts :argh:

The pickguard that a previous owner installed on my 4001 was not quite right, it was a little warped around the pickup area, didn't line up correctly and didn't use the factory screw locations. It recently cracked near the pickup, so I got this one off of eBay hoping it would be better. Turns out it is the same exact thing, with the pickup off-center and really tough to fit in, and the wrong screw locations. Looks like I'll be trying pickguardian.com in a couple months (for like triple the price :( )

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrChu
May 14, 2002

Optiquest posted:

Why dont you just shape it up a little with a dremel and a drill? You could probably get away with sandpaper even.

The main problem I have is the pickup location. As you can see from the picture, the pole pieces are really off compared to the strings and as a result the neck pickup sounds weak and some notes are just weird. What I'd need to do is make another set of holes in the body (there's already like half dozen extra holes already from the original pickguard) to remount the screws, and even then I can't get too much adjustment because the volume/tone control layout is also a bit off which limits the movement.