Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Just bought this a couple days ago, and I love it.

:commissar:
(Formerly Colonial Air Force)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

�ptimysticism posted:

drat, since when did Epiphone start filling their LP bodies with lead?

Huh?

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

�ptimysticism posted:

It looked like the weight of it was deforming your spine in that picture...

The bad posture was my attempt at rocking out. It is a heavier guitar than I'm used to, but it isn't that bad.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Owsla posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abalone

Short version: It's just random colors.

Many of them are mother of pearl.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

krisis posted:

Seeing how awesome RSPsych0's Les Paul looked, I decided to check some of them out at the local guitar shop.

Ended up buying a black Epiphone Les Paul standard

I'm considering getting rid of the pickguard, but i can't figure out how to do it without leaving a nasty hole near the neck pickup.

Sorry about the lovely camphone picture.

Keep the pickguard.

I'm curious how yours sounds compared to mine. I know on mine they layered the wood differently (since it's a Custom), and my asssumption was thatthe pickups were higher quality, but I can't guarantee that.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

krisis posted:

Considering your title, i thought you'd like this

That's with the bridge pickup on the insane setting on a line6 spider II

And that's with the clean channel on both pickups

Pretty good. It's hard to tell, exactly, since we don't have the same gear. The guitar is great, though. I can't believe I waited so long to buy an LP.

Craiglen posted:

What the hell happened to that guitar on the far right?

3 Action Economist fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Jan 28, 2007

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Hey, look, I get to post twice in this thread!

I really need to clean up the cabling, but I was too excited when I got the pedal to bother being neat. I just wanted to play.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

magnificent7 posted:

We are so RICH dood.

More like "in debt", but that's ok.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

3toes posted:

I have one of these, it's awesome.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Vinno posted:

:awesome:

People told me I was crazy for getting the white one. Well we showed them!

I go tthe black one, because the white one really would only work for me if I were wearing a tuxedo. Still a great guitar.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Hamer777 posted:

How do those things work?

There's a small horn in the box that pushes the guitar sound (overdriven) through the tube. The tube goes into your mouth, so all the sound reverberates in your cavernous maw. As you move your lips, tongue, and vocal chords (that's a tip!), the guitar sound is shaped like your voice would be in the microphone.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Concatenation posted:

Last week:

Focusrite Saffire LE audio interface. Speaking as someone who has never, ever used an audio interface, I'm quite impressed with this. Pretty easy to set up and use, sounds great, and is convenient as all hell. I just wish it was a little smaller.

What's the latency like? It's FireWire 400, it seems.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Hamer777 posted:

In response to the gold debate, seriously picture my guitar with chrome hardware. I'm not really for it or against it but this guitar is a sexy beast.

Or look at my earlier post with me Epiphone Les Paul Custom, which is pretty much exactly like yours. Black with gold is the way to go.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

bisticles posted:

I really like the look of that Schecter. I've got a thing for arched-top doublecuts lately, though.

Agreed. Also, I can't stand Flying V's because sometimes I want to sit down and play.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Uncle Caveman posted:

The Girlfriend's upcoming birthday present. I'm going to make an acrylic pickguard & trussrod cover with her name and some sappy message painted on it. :3:

I love this guitar. It is my best friend. :3:

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Engine Fortegue posted:

Not really "gear," but I bought some strings at Guitar Center today! A set of Elixer Polyweb Mediums for my Ibanez PF5ECE (Penelope), and a set of DR Red Devils for my '85 Cort Custom (Delia).

This is what I'm buying next:

A set of GFS Dream 90s. They're humbucker sized P90s with 8.4k at the bridge and 8.2k for the neck. Aren't they dreamy? :swoon:

These will be for Delia, her pickups are stock and honestly the blow chunks, plus a P90 equipped guitar is all I'm missing for my rig!

Wow! Those would look great on my black Les Paul. Maybe a matching pickguard, too.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

You don't want a studio. They're called that because they're cheaper on ths insides. They're not built for heavy use, basically.

I like that doublecut, but the Explorer is nice, too. It depends on your style, I think.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Mugendai posted:

That looks cool. How good are those at replicating actual instrument sounds? I figure you can do all sorts of awesome synthy stuff with them, but if they can do a fairly good replication of actual saxophone sounds with the right software, that could be really usefull for me.

It's just a conttroller, it doesn't make any sounds at all. You'd just need a good MIDI device that had good brass sounds but, um, I've never really heard one. Even the high end stuff isn't as expressive and human as a real brass instrument.

3toes posted:

Guitar Rig 2 software edition. I'm kinda wishing I had the foot-controller, but god drat is this poo poo expensive as it is... =\

Get an FCB1010.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

DKWildz posted:

Been looking for a little while, but I think I've decided in the next week or so to pick up this:

Epiphone Les Paul Custom in Silverburst

When I was looking, I almost waited for this one. I got the black instead, and I love it. Good choice, though. It's a great guitar.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

keratas posted:

Thanks for that help but I read that the Pods accept 1.2A minimum and 2A maximum when it comes to power, I'm not sure if 2.2A will blow it up to kingdom come, the 1A won't power it ive been told.

A transformer's amp rating is the maximum it will put out, but it only puts out as much as needed.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

mofolotopo posted:

Why are those guitars on the bed? You're about to have sex with them, aren't you?

Wouldn't you?

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Valtaherra posted:

Just bought one of these on Ebay for around 70% of the list price, so I was pretty excited.

It's got all the software and recording capabilities I need, a poo poo ton of effects and amps, and I really just needed a kick in the rear end to get back into playing guitar. This couple with getting my guitar repaired is going to be awesome.

I need to go sell mine on eBay so I can buy the X3.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

My next purchase:

I'm selling a bunch of stuff on eBay (shameless plug), and once that's gone, I'll be getting it.

3 Action Economist fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Nov 15, 2007

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

mofolotopo posted:

I just did this, although I haven't been home to play with it yet. Buy it from RivensBitch, he saved me over 10% off of the lowest retail price I found.

Just bought the Pod X3 Live. :)

I didn't get it from RB, though, because Guitar Center has this deal today for 20% off between 8-10am local time.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Since I sold my amp to buy my Pod X3, I needed some way to be able to play through a computer:

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

pennywisdom posted:

Don't the X3's have USB recording capabilities?

Sort of, but at least with the XTL, you couldn't listen to it live without a special program that had horrible latency.

And I can use this box for my other recording needs, too.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Spaceship Zero posted:

Whaa? Not true. I've used my xt live for recording and playing live and have needed no such special program.

You could hear it through your computer while you were recording?

Maybe I was doing something wrong.

I haven't good luck with, like, anything lately.

Kerro posted:

Thanks to the people who provided suggestions in my thread about buying a digital piano.

So I got this:

Very nice. I badly want one when I move out of my apartment.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

hamaien posted:

Run the mono out from the POD to the line in on your computer and keep it unmuted.

Yes, this is why I bought the firewire box. He was saying I could do it with USB.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

mofolotopo posted:

Yep, just tried monitoring and playing through the X3 Live using Sonar, and there was no noticeable latency.

Oh well.

I like the M-Audio, anyway. I'm sure I'll find a use for it. :)

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

mofolotopo posted:

Yep, just tried monitoring and playing through the X3 Live using Sonar, and there was no noticeable latency.

How do you monitor with Sonar? I have it, but I've never used it for audio.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

ReverendHammer posted:

Went into GC today to pick up a keyboard stand and walked out with one of these for $75 (no cable or drivers, but that's easily fixed):

You bastard!

It's a great device, though. I love mine.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

I'm trying to sell my Gibson Les Paul Vintage Mahogany, and my Dean Blueburst V, and I'm going to buy this bad boy

Gibson ES-137

That's a beautiful color for a wonderful guitar.

Also, I hate you.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

This counts, right?

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

who cares posted:

It's awesome.

I have the Pod X3 Live, but when that came out I was sorely tempted. But then I like the amp modeling of the Pod.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Well, I finally got a good deal and committed to this:

I have a Pod X3 Live for just about every other effect imaginable, but their pitch bending/harmonizing stuff is, well, less than stellar. It doesn't seem to work well with more than one note, and even then it's iffy.

Now the only question is to I put this before or after my Banshee talkbox.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

DaFuente posted:

Quite obviously, you should put the Whammy after the Talkbox. That way you can divebomb your voice.

The talkbox disconnects the audio signal going to the amp when it's on. The sound goes through a mic. So...

Cojawfee posted:

Shouldn't that be before the talk box?

...would work better for that. And it's likely what I'll try first. :)

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Scarf posted:

There is a way around the cut-off. If you have a pedal with stereo or simply a Wet/Dry outs, you can run one to the talkbox and the other on down the chain. That's what I did when I had a Banshee in my bass rig. That way I didn't lose all of the low end of my bass when engaged. A Y-split/cable would work as well.

But yeah, there isn't really a way I can think of to put the Whammy after the Banshee and have it alter the talkbox's tone.

Oh, and now they have the Banshee 2 which allows your signal to pass on to the amp, so you don't need the whole y-split solution.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Rocktron-Banshee-2-Talk-Box?sku=482390

I'm not worried about having the guitar play while I talk, but I did see the new Banshee when I was looking for a link to put in my post. I suppose that could be useful with the Pod X3 since I could set it up to play one tone independently from the talk box.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Carbohydrates posted:

I don't know what you guys are talking about, fat necks own. My R8 has a 58 profile neck, which is even larger than their standard round/fat profile. The bigger the better!

All my guitarist friends used to bitch about how thick the Gibson necks were, and so when I went to get a new guitar, I basically avoided them. Then I just decided, "You know, I'm here playing all sorts of different guitars, and many of my rock heroes play these, let's just try it."

So I don't know if maybe it's just a preference thing, or people don't know what they're missing, but I play guitar -way- better on a thicker neck. I definitely prefer it.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Livingston posted:

My black LP has been without a girlfriend for much too long.

Black on blonde? Hot!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

sailorjosh posted:

Got some cream plastic and gold knobs for my vintage mahogany lp I posted a page or two back...

Man.

Now I want a rootbeer float.