Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

qball
Aug 1, 2002

You could go and have a bite, and you'd still be hearin' that one.
I've been putting hints in for one of these for Christmas:

The Maxon reissue of the TS 808.

And sometime next year either a Les Paul Special

or a Les Paul Studio,

Though I'm trying not to get too excited about it until it's closer to actually happening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qball
Aug 1, 2002

My wife has said I can't play it until my birthday...

2004 Les Paul Standard in beautiful Iced Tea

But after that every day will be my birthday :)

qball
Aug 1, 2002

Flying V ukulele :rock:. I can play very bad versions of Enter Sandman and Hey Jude :)

It came with a cool case too.

qball
Aug 1, 2002

Handen posted:

The gold hardware looks so much better.

I think it's very much one of those polar opposite things. Either you love gold hardware or you hate it.

I'm part of the latter camp.

qball
Aug 1, 2002

Hamer777 posted:

In response to the gold debate, seriously picture my guitar with chrome hardware. I'm not really for it or against it but this guitar is a sexy beast.

Running the risk of further derailing this thread, your guitar scheme reminds me of this...

Who is the only man I can think of who can pull off having gold hardware and still look cool.

qball
Aug 1, 2002

Martytoof posted:

Just brought her home from the store. I -- uh -- obviously need to get a real stand soon.

Screw that. Two G4s make a great stand. Maybe a little low though :)

qball
Aug 1, 2002

My friends bought me this for my birthday yesterday. Thanks guys (goons) :dance:

Now I have to figure out where in the chain it sounds best.

qball
Aug 1, 2002

Engine Fortegue posted:

Guitar > Distortion A > Distortion B > Wah > Chorus > Delay > Amp

Minus the Delay, that's how I had it set up yesterday and it sounded good. Thanks :)

qball
Aug 1, 2002

magnificent7 posted:

Marshall JTM45! hell YEAH!

I finally decided to shut up and put up and get my balls enlarged. poo poo yeah. It'll arrive in a week, give or take. Once the cab gets here, I'm taking it into the local guitar stores to try out cabs. I know jackshit about Marshalls (well, KNEW until I started looking into this thing).

My dream amp would be a Marshall Bluesbreaker but I keep having second thought because of the volume needed for natural break-up.

You post has put ownership of one of these babies back on my mind though.

qball
Aug 1, 2002

Handen posted:

Why not just forget about that, buy the amp, and then get one of these to crank the amp at while leaving it at bedroom practice level:

A Tom Scholz Power Soak.

It does the same thing that the modern Gibson Attenuators/THD Hot Plates, but since it's vintage and nobody knows about them anymore, they're something like 1/3rd the price AND, unlike the modern attenuators which have a set impedance level, the Power Soak has a selectable impedance level. They were designed by the lead guitarist from Boston... an MIT masters graduate.

They go anywhere from $100-$200 on eBay, but you can find them on mom-n-pop guitar shop websites for under $100.

I plan on buying one this week. :)

Wheeee!!! Problem solved, thanks :)

qball
Aug 1, 2002

Pignose 7-100

The Bluesiest, battery powered, 5w, little suitcase amp thing I've ever heard.

qball
Aug 1, 2002

SpeedyCow posted:

This is my grandfather's guitar... :words: :swoon:

That's awesome. There's an old beat up 50's Gibson acoustic in a local second hand store around here. I'd love to get it if I had the money lying around.

qball
Aug 1, 2002

I've been really lazy with my harmonica learning so I've enrolled in the magnificent7 school of harmonica playing

qball
Aug 1, 2002

It finally arrived...

Digilog delay pedal from Freakshow Effects

qball
Aug 1, 2002

kahm posted:

That is so hosed. Tell me more.

Part of Gibson's Guitar of the Week thing they're doing this year and one of the more interesting things to come out of it.

qball
Aug 1, 2002

Swollen Member posted:

:swoon:

Did I miss the memo about guitars going extinct? Should we all start stocking up?

But seriously, nice stuff.

qball
Aug 1, 2002

Spiral posted:

Your guitar is absolutely gorgeous, but that isn't blood. This is blood :)

Was that used to kill someone?

qball
Aug 1, 2002

Finally got around to posting pics of a few new toys.

A couple of Medicine Bottle Slides. The blue one is heavier and gives a really nice sound for acoustic, the thinner sunburst one I use for electric.

Shure Green Bullet Harmonica Microphone I found fairly cheap on eBay. Has a great sound played through my little Pignose amp.

And I just finished putting together my new Strat from parts. Includes Eric Clapton 25dB Mid Boost circuit, TBX tone control, Fender SCN Pickups, 50's style body, 70's style headstock. Has a really nice classic Strat sound but the Mid Boost thickens it up when needed. Still need to do a good set-up on it but at least it's finally together now.

With the other members of the family.

qball
Aug 1, 2002

Swollen Member posted:

Sex

Didn't you post only two months ago that you were interested in learning guitar?

Just asking because I think a Jazzmaster, American Stratocaster, Les Paul Supreme, SG, Telecaster & PRS is the most awesome but overkill starter package around.

What amp are you using?

qball
Aug 1, 2002

Mex posted:

Speaking of small amps, has anyone tried a pignose? How do they sound?

I've got one of the Little Pignose 700's and it's very much a dirty little blues amp. The thing I like about it is you can vary the sound so much just by opening it up. One of the best sounds I've gotten from it was sitting on my bathroom bench with the back opened towards the mirror. Sweet bluesy reverb.

Better with single coils than humbuckers.

If I had a mic I'd do some sound clips.

qball
Aug 1, 2002

Engine Fortegue posted:

There's no way in hell there's a Martin guitar with a plywood neck, that's impossible

It's called Stratabond and yeah, technically it's a plywood albeit a very nice one.

qball
Aug 1, 2002

Gin_Rummy posted:

Reeves Custom 50

That's awsome. What's it like?

A friend of mine has two old Hiwatt DR103s and they have this great rich clean sound even at insanely loud volumes.

qball
Aug 1, 2002

Orange Tiny Terror and 2x12

This thing sounds really good, so punchy with the two Vintage 30s. Just a great little rock/blues amp.

qball
Aug 1, 2002

Engine Fortegue posted:

That orange set-up is gorgeous. How loud can the tiny terror get?

Loud enough that since It's been home the max I've had it was half way on the 7 watt setting, and even then it was only for a minute because it was starting to shake things and my wife and child were home.

I've found that with the gain at around 12 o'clock It gets a nice clean into break-up crunch, rolling the guitar's volume back from 10 cleans it up. Then with my Maxon OD808 set as a clean boost I can push it all the way into crunchy heaven.

I tried the 1x12 (Celestion G12K-100) but found that when you pushed it it started to get a bit flubby in the low end; when I plugged into the 2x12 (Vintage 30's) the thing just said "give me more".

If you max out the gain it can sound a little fizzy but I didn't really buy it for really high gain stuff. I'm actually surprised at the amount of clean headroom it has, it's really useable, though the British crunch is where it really shines.

Most importantly you can get a good sound out of it at very low levels. I've been playing it for the last two hours and my 11 month old boy who's going though a phase of really light sleeping hasn't woken once.

qball
Aug 1, 2002

SM57

Rode NT1a

Catalinbread Ottava Magus

Plus stands, leads, etc.

qball
Aug 1, 2002

glenlochrock posted:

so true...

heres a couple pictures of the new rig

hey baby meet your new brother

Sooo jealous... I'm planning on getting a Ceriatone amp later this year and currently tossing up between a JTM45 and just going all out with the Superlead 100.

Capitan Dad posted:

Kill your daughter with it.

Volume on 2 will do it.

qball
Aug 1, 2002

Engine Fortegue posted:

So, he's got the patch running from the first input into the second input, and his guitar is going into what I'm assuming is the effects loop power-in, right?

I feel stupid for needing to ask, but what's the purpose?

It's basically a two channel amp with two inputs per channel (normal and high treble), bridging two of the inputs allows you to run both channels in parallel. His guitar is plugged into a third input. Bridging to different inputs will give you different results, I'm not sure I haven't played with one that much.

It's a very simple amp, no footswitch, no effects loop, no master volume. Just loud.

qball
Aug 1, 2002

Minto Took posted:

I've always loved this guitar, so the next addition to it will be a new neck later down the road.

At what point in the process of upgrading a Strat does it cease to be the same guitar? Swapping out the neck would be a major change almost akin to a new guitar.

I'm not focussing my questions at you per-se, I've wondered this about a lot of guitars upgrades (Fender mostly). I saw a P-Bass on Harmony central someone changed the body of because it was a different colour and I thought that it was fairly significant change to the character of the instrument as a whole.

Don't get me wrong I'm on board with the whole upgrade thing, I've built a Strat myself from parts.

qball
Aug 1, 2002

GrAviTy84 posted:

I think that's the beauty of a strat, it is a workhorse that does pretty much everything well. Clapton and SRV's strats were never really the same throughout their career. Things happen on tour, necks break, electronics fail, you replace them as needed, but they were always still "Lenny" or "Brownie" to their players. I think they are kind of like a best friend that has innumerable personalities and can never die.

Battle scars and repairs are a totally different story.

GrAviTy84 posted:

But then again, replacing a neck, or just pups is one thing, If you replace every part on a strat then it's kind of like in 5 card draw, you should never redraw four, you probably should just fold (i.e. buy a better strat).

That's what I was getting at.

Sorry for the derail

qball
Aug 1, 2002

Handen posted:

On a related note, I just bought a Pignose, which is why I'm in search of tiny effect "pedals." Who else has a Pignose 1-700, and what effects (if any) do you run through it?

I've had a Pignose for a while now but generally I don't use effects with it (maybe a wah). Quite the contrary I like to find ways I can use the amp as an effect. By this I mean having it open, closed, facing a wall, in the bathroom for reverb, as a stereo effect, that type of thing.

The only other time I've used an effect with it has been when I'm playing quietly, late at night I stick my tube screamer in front of it to provide dirt at very low volumes.

qball
Aug 1, 2002

Handen posted:

Ehh, but I'll be taking it to music festivals and playing it on weed man, so I just want a little sort of treble boost mod or pedal for it. I don't wanna have to set it down facing a tree so my drugged up buddies only pick up the high frequencies from dickety-two odd yards away.

Are you really going to be concerned with effects at that point? Just plug it in and turn it up.

Not sure about a treble booster, though I do have one in the mail so I'll be trying it out in a couple of days. Definitely sounds better with single coils though.

qball
Aug 1, 2002

Minto Took posted:

Could you take a picture of the back? I'm curious to see where the battery compartment is.

If it's anything like my Strat with the Clapton 25 dB Mid Boost it won't look any different. There's an extra cut-out behind the back-plate where the battery fits snugly.

qball
Aug 1, 2002

AnalogMan Beano boost. It's weird going from the mid heavy Tube Screamer boost to a Treble Boost, still dialling it in but I love the sound.

Custom AB/Loop/Tuner Mute box
This is an awesome addition to my setup, being able to pull the whole effects loop out of the equation if I want is really handy. Really nice little box.

qball
Aug 1, 2002

This just arrived, I can't wait to get home and try it out.

Option 5 Destination Rotation Single, Vibratone/Leslie 120 simulator.

qball
Aug 1, 2002

Emma DiscumBOBulator

I'm loving the sound of this set for a really wide fat wah.

qball
Aug 1, 2002

My pedal board is almost complete

Japanese made Boss OC-2 Octave

qball
Aug 1, 2002

Susano-maku da! posted:

HEY THERE BIT BUDDY

I can also show off a new pedal I bought last night, a Freakshow Digilog Delay.

The only delay that I've liked outside of my Danelectro PB&J. My god, it's awesome. The decay is just as natural sounding as the Danelectro, but it's far more adjustable. The best part is the switch on the right, which is a feedbacking switch. It'll both loop and oscillate your delays, depending on what your settings are.

I've had my Digilog for a while now and whenever I think I'd like to try another delay I remember how awesome it is.

qball
Aug 1, 2002

Agreed posted:

Fuzzy

Have you had a look at the MI Audio Neo Fuzz and GI Fuzz? The Neo is a Germanium and the GI Silicone, they have a very different feel to each other and if you're after flexibility you should really check them out. I'm hoping to get a Neo in the near future.

http://miaudio.com/NF1.htm

http://miaudio.com/GI1.htm

qball
Aug 1, 2002

I received some cool birthday presents.

Boss CS-2 Compression Sustainer

Got this one from my friends last night. I've never used a compressor before but it does some cool stuff. I've been playing with it a bit this morning but really need to spend some time with it to find the best sound.

Ulbrick Megalodon Clean Boost

My wife bought me this one and it's seriously my new favourite pedal. It's a really clean boost that you can dial just a hair of distortion into. No loss of bottom end (which I get with the Beano Boost and OD808) and it adds a nice bit of sparkle to everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qball
Aug 1, 2002

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

thanks for clearing that up. I'm not very knowledgable at all about Gretschs...but drat that white falcon looks great

The Sliver Falcon looks pretty cool as well