Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

qball
Aug 1, 2002

You could go and have a bite, and you'd still be hearin' that one.
Not so much a purchase but I won a set of custom wound pickups from a local pickup winder here in Australia. His name is Mick Brierley and he really went out of his way to make sure I got exactly what I wanted.

I decided to get a Zebra set with a 7.5k Alnico 2 Neck and an 8.2k Alnico 2 Bridge, scatter-wound with mismatched coils. I've had fairly high magnets in there before Alnico 4 and 5 and I'm really liking the extra mids the 2's bring.

Plus they're sexay!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qball
Aug 1, 2002

Altered State posted:

That's very nice, my friend Hope those pickups sound real nice.

I hear a lot of good things about those Orange amps, and I've really been wanting to try one, but I don't believe there are any dealers in my area. Could you tell me anything about them?

Not much to tell, the Tiny terror is about as simple as it gets. One channel with volume, gain and tone knobs.

Quiet (bedroom levels with sleeping children nearby) it will give you nice cleans and subtle to heavy preamp distortion. Medium levels you get you more of the same but with some really good punch and dynamics. Set the gain at noon, dime the volume and you get awesome crunchy poweramp distortion. Warning though it's very loud for 15 watts. Switching it to 7 watts will get it to the power amp breakup earlier.

Cleans are very useable but it may have trouble keeping up with a loud drummer. It won't give you a myriad of different sounds but it have some amazing light to heavy crunch sounds when pushed.

qball
Aug 1, 2002

Guzwar posted:

Playing drums with a piano throne...

We have a drum throne for our piano.

qball
Aug 1, 2002

I finally picked up my audio interface. MOTU 8pre.

qball
Aug 1, 2002

AE posted:

To make this post on-topic, this is what I bought for July 4th.

I was starting to think I'd have to go out and buy something purely to get this train back on track.

qball
Aug 1, 2002

Adrian Finol posted:

Just got it yesterday:

That looks hot.

qball
Aug 1, 2002

mad for pancakes posted:

New practice amp - 5 watt Fender Champion 600 Reissue

New guitar - Agile Harm 1 w/ P90s

I think I've cured my GAS for a while :)

What's the Champ like? I keep seeing them in store and they're calling out to me to take them home.

qball
Aug 1, 2002

I've been listening to a lot of early Johnny Winter and decided I had to have a phaser. After a bit of a search for something simple and classic sounding I ended up with this.

The MXR 1974 Reissue Script Phase 90. It's got a really nice warm phase.

qball
Aug 1, 2002

This is from a few weeks ago but I finally got around to taking a picture.

MI Audio Neo Fuzz. For ages I've been all about boosts and overdrives but I have to say a good Germanium fuzz pedal just makes me feel good. The load knob makes it play nicer with humbuckers and I can get some cool spluttery fuzz with the bias know turned down.

It can be a little dark with my Les Paul but adding a little treble boost after it fixes that.

qball
Aug 1, 2002

FlossMan posted:

I have an MI Audio Blue Boy Deluxe... they make drat good pedals. I think I may pick up a Crunch Box next.

Yeah, I'm thinking of getting a Tubezone as well. Have you seen their amp? http://www.miamplification.com/

qball
Aug 1, 2002

Speaking of Analogman, this came in the mail last week and it's amazing.

It cleans up beautifully when you roll your guitar volume down and the fuzz is really responsive.

qball
Aug 1, 2002

Agreed posted:

Oh man, I'm jealous. That is a nice pedal. What are they running, now?

Let's just say I could have probably bought six or seven of the Danelectro pedals instead :)

qball
Aug 1, 2002

Agreed posted:

Got any clips? Let's do an informal experiment to see whether Dan-o or Analogman has more tone per penny :q:

You'll have to wait 'til the $30 Fuzz gets in at the local shop, though.

(I'm giving you a rash of poo poo, you know I'd love one of those.)

I'd love to do some, just need to get some time when I can crank the Tiny Terror which is what I'm lacking at the moment.

Agreed posted:

Edit: Well... gently caress.

Rest in peace, Keith.

Cancer is a hungry jaw with awfully sharp teeth and no notion of selectivity in where to bite.

That's really sad. It's not good when nice talented guys leave us.

qball
Aug 1, 2002

The Gasmask posted:

Oooh, I've heard really good things about Analogman. I had a friend about eight years ago who was working for them, but I don't know how involved he was with production. I never got to try any out, but I'd see them every once in a while at the music store I work at. Not any more though, I don't think people want to trade them in :(

Yeah, Mike has said he's getting low on the Germanium NKT's and probably won't be doing that option on them for too much longer. I thought I'd better get around to trying one out sooner than later (before TGP guys drive their used prices sky high). I'm glad I did it's a great fuzz.

qball
Aug 1, 2002

A month or two ago I picked up a Stylophone.

You can make some awesome and annoying noises with it.

The addition of a Voodoo Lab Tremolo rounds out my pedal board.

And as a future teaser I leave you with this...

qball
Aug 1, 2002

the wizards beard posted:

Are you building that yourself? I've wanted to do a scratch build for years but can't afford it right now.

Not me, a local amp builder is putting it together for me. I'm glad we got the parts a few moths ago before the Australian dollar tanked. We managed to get some really good quality parts so it should be killer, provided I find a place I can really crank it.

qball
Aug 1, 2002

Carbohydrates posted:

I fail to see how it's unattractive in any way. :colbert:

That goldtop Classic is a steal, but what's going on with the inlays? Are they the wonky green ones?

The Les Paul Classics had "aged" inlays which were known to look a lot like green snot.

Oh and your Special looks great, such a classic, I'd love a P90 LP to go with my Standard.

qball
Aug 1, 2002

Noise Machine posted:

I'll give you guys a teaser.

I'm not sure my newest purchase will be able to fit inside my car.

The Voxmobile?

qball
Aug 1, 2002

Agreed posted:

I've been thinking about getting the Hendrix Amplitube, I'd love a review when you've had time to play with it.

qball
Aug 1, 2002

Gorilla Salsa posted:

Blasphemy. You should read up on this stuff before you toss accusations like that around. :colbert:

I'm no expert but I think you meant to post this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWLw7nozO_U

qball
Aug 1, 2002

I'm just posting this as a reference for turret boards. Plus as a teaser to the amp I should be getting in a few weeks.

Still in wiring phase. Custom built 1959 Plexi.

qball
Aug 1, 2002

scuz posted:

:swoon: Are you building it or someone else?

Someone else. It's got Sozo caps, Marstran transformer and NOS pre-amp tubes. It's going to beast.

qball
Aug 1, 2002

Agreed posted:

The Hot Hands midi controller, which (like other Hot Hands products) uses a wireless ring to control whatever the pedal does, is mounted on the guitar's headstock, and he's using it to make the worst loving noises I've ever heard in my life.

Thank gently caress I thought it was just me.

qball
Aug 1, 2002

The Stizzle posted:

Finally got the full stack rocking with the addition of a second matching cabinet.

That's a great looking stack. I get the feeling I'll be able to hear it from here.

qball
Aug 1, 2002

Agreed posted:

.... I don't think even Clapton's using them anymore...

Clapton uses Vintage Noiseless and a 25dB boost for solos.

My Strat has Fender SCNs, TBX tone control and the Clapton boost and it's a really good combo.

After seeing Jeff Beck live last week I'm spending some time trying to bond with my Strat. I'm really used to the thick sound of my Les Paul so a quick twist of the mid boost knob adds some nice meat to the sound.

qball
Aug 1, 2002

Vanmani posted:

Since there's a few people in here with SCNs... Can anyone tell me if SCNs come with "Noiseless" printed on them in gold italic font? I thought that was only on the old vintage noiseless not the SCNs?

In which case this guy who sold me this strat was wrong.

Mine have SCN slightly embossed in one corner but not coloured. I can't even find it sometimes when I'm looking for it. So for all intents and purposes, they should look plain white.

qball
Aug 1, 2002

I pickup this earlier in the week (the neck holder, not the harmonica).

I can already almost play both the guitar and harmonica parts to Heart of Gold at the same time, which is way sooner than I thought I was going to be able to do it.

qball
Aug 1, 2002

Agreed posted:

Treble booster. Boosts the output and adds delicious upper harmonics to the signal. In front of an overdrive, dirt pedal, fuzz, overdriving amp, or heavily overdriving amp, this results in a totally different, usually tighter character to the tone.

I have a Beano Boost and I love it more every time I kick it in

qball
Aug 1, 2002

the wizards beard posted:

I think Marshall-y sounding pedals is a fairly saturated (:buddy:) marked. Where's the Box of Rock bro?

Yeah the Box of Rock name gets bandied around every time someone wants a Marshall-esque pedal. That and the Carl Martin PlexiTone.

qball
Aug 1, 2002

It's finally here! My 1959 SLP clone. hand wired, Marstran Transformers, Sozo Caps, NOS Preamp tubes.

Got it yesterday and so far I've only had it on two, but you can feel the power it puts out. A few weeks ago I had the pleasure of hearing it wide open (well, on about 7-8) and it sounds awsome, it's scary but so much fun. It takes pedals really well too.

Though to save me from exploding my speakers I really need either a second 2x12 or a Hot Plate (or both).

qball fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Apr 26, 2009

qball
Aug 1, 2002

Cojawfee posted:

Does it sound any different from a regular tube screamer?

Short answer NO. Long answer YES.

qball
Aug 1, 2002

If you sell the Jr you're out of the club. You didn't know you were in a club? Well you are, and you'll be out my friend, out I tell you!

qball
Aug 1, 2002

7seven7 posted:

That's a little reassuring. Thanks for all the advice guys, looks like I've got alot to learn. This is all quite daunting.

Barring technical reasons (Germanium fuzzes really work best before any buffered pedal, but then again they change sound with big temperature changes too) it's all up to what sound you like. People say there are rules and guides but realistically you're taking the raw guitar signal and altering it in some way before it reaches the amp. Pedal position, like playing style, guitar/amp choice, room acoustics, time of day are part of the creative process.

qball
Aug 1, 2002

no dad im not gay! posted:

That goldtop is gorgeous. If only it had soapbars to match!

Aha! I knew there was something missing from it and it's cream soapbars. That would make it super sexy.

qball
Aug 1, 2002

Choicecut posted:

drat that's nice and usually I'm a woodgrain/sunburst man

qball
Aug 1, 2002

snare posted:

It is really, really easy to play! That's what suckered me in. I was on tour down here a couple of years back and went round to check out his workshop, played a bunch of his gats and immediately fell in love with the necks on these guitars.

It sounds glorious. Very bright and "wide open" kinda sound. The pickups are hand-wound by a guy in Adelaide by the name of Mick Brierley - tell him the pups you like and he'll replicate the sound.

I'm sure Pete would ship internationally, but I'm not sure what it would cost. He is definitely in good health, he's an old rocker but he'll still be kicking for a while I reckon.

Pete and Mick are great guys. I have a set of custom-wound Brierleys in my Les Paul and they sound amazing. Pete is super-helpful with any guitar question/problem and both post a lot on AGGH.

qball
Aug 1, 2002

Ferrous Wheel posted:

If we're being honest almost all production electric guitars are wired the same way they were in the 50s. While Gibson might be using it to mean something more specific, star grounding wasn't being done in the 50s (at least not by them), nor was complete shielding. As a result, their P-90 equipped models tend to be a touch noisy.

To be clear, it isn't an issue of the quality of the grounding and shielding as much as the grounding being prone to loops and the shielding being largely absent.

Also disclaimer: I'm not an electrical engineer or anything close, the above is just my understanding of general guitar poo poo of course.

The 50s vs 60s is about which lug the caps are connected to. Modern wiring has a smoother drop off as you turn the volume knob down but the 50s wiring stays brighter as the volume is turned down. Threre are other supposed tonal benefits but that's the general gist of it. Both camps have their staunch defenders (for some weird reason) but really it's what you get used to. I tried 50s wiring in my LP a few years ago and that's how it stays to this day because I see no reason to change it back.

Modern

50s

qball
Aug 1, 2002

I just bought my first bass.

It's a Fender American Special with a black pickguard. It's got a really cool 70s vibe going on both in looks and sound. Can't wait to spend some quality time with it.

qball
Aug 1, 2002

Concatenation posted:

Do you or Ackbarf (or any other Ausgoons) know if Billy Hyde's has started their inevitable closing down firesale? I'm keen to nab some stuff on the cheap but they seem to still be selling everything for the usual comedy Australian prices on the website and haven't made any announcement about shutting down.

The 25 - 50% off closing down sale is on at the moment (which means 50% of sheet music and 25% off everything else). 25% off is nice but it's not the liquidation everyone is hoping for, hell, 25% off their prices is basically street price everywhere else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qball
Aug 1, 2002

This...

to go in here...

like this...

to power this.