Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alfa Tard
Sep 30, 2002

Stoopid Noobie

Nick Freedom posted:

Good luck on finding a 4x12. I've been checking Ebay every day for about two months now (I think I've become obsessed), and it's pretty rare for even 2x12 to show up. If they do, they usually want an insane amount for shipping. Although I've been considering buying the Beta 2x12 they have for my Beta Lead. But my cash flow is telling me no.

I'm amazed I even found the T50C, it was just hanging out at a guitar shop in the slums, collecting dust. :(

http://austin.craigslist.org/msg/246129027.html

interesting, just saw that recently and read your post

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alfa Tard
Sep 30, 2002

Stoopid Noobie

Culen posted:

My folks spoiled me this past Christmas. Bless their hearts.

oooooooooooo, nice

Alfa Tard
Sep 30, 2002

Stoopid Noobie

warwick5s posted:

Holy sweet!

Alfa Tard
Sep 30, 2002

Stoopid Noobie

Fausdinotoly posted:

This baby. Robert Keeley Javaboost. A friend of mine owns one. It sounds really nice on bass and is great for cutting through the mix but keeping the lower end. Its just the sound I'm looking for in the classic prog group/project I'm working on.

Any chance for a sound clip on this? Also when you use it are you overdriving your amp as he recommends in his description?

Alfa Tard
Sep 30, 2002

Stoopid Noobie

justbark posted:

Squier Vintage Modified Fretless

Went into Guitar Center to try out a couple fretless basses and lo and behold, the exact one I wanted to try was there...and USED and CHEAP. Just the way I like 'em.

Nice catch!

Alfa Tard
Sep 30, 2002

Stoopid Noobie
Early 80s P bass Special candy apple red with matching headstock. Neck is in great shape and the frets recently dressed and quite high. I was hitting music stores for a HWY1 P bass or something I could screw around with but this one was a great deal. It came with the original pickguard and preamp (single ply black). I have a white pearloid pickguard and white pickup covers ordered for it.

Alfa Tard fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Sep 27, 2007

Alfa Tard
Sep 30, 2002

Stoopid Noobie

Alfa Tard
Sep 30, 2002

Stoopid Noobie

3toes posted:

Nice, Ive heard good things about the Classic. How much did you throw down on it if you dont mind me asking?

$340 shipped from the TalkBass classifieds. There was an SVP Pro there recently as well but since selling my SVT (due to it's weight) I was really looking for the CL.

Alfa Tard
Sep 30, 2002

Stoopid Noobie

warwick5s posted:

This thing surprised the hell out of me when I tried it. It has an ebonol fingerboard if I recall, which is a lot easier to get good playability and tone out of than a cheap rosewood or something.

Rosewood ain't cheap compadre, but ebonol is pretty nice for fingerboards too

Alfa Tard
Sep 30, 2002

Stoopid Noobie

warwick5s posted:

I wasn't talking about it in general, but that the "rosewood" that normally comes on instruments in this price range certainly is.

True enough. I wonder why that is? Ever try to price out a full rosewood neck at Warmoth.com? Big $$$.

Alfa Tard
Sep 30, 2002

Stoopid Noobie

Uncle Caveman posted:

Fender maple necks are sometimes cut from a single piece, since maple isn't very rare or expensive.

Now to find out why Fender uses 3 to 7 pieces for their bodies now. I'd be afraid to strip anything with a solid color finish!

Alfa Tard
Sep 30, 2002

Stoopid Noobie

Jeedan posted:

I dont know why the hell it has grooves to put the strings in instead of a hole.

There is a hole in the middle of the slot. Cut the string a little long and stick it straight into the tuner then bend it over and start turning the tuner. It will tighten up and you won't have any sharp part sticking out. It's by design.

found this: http://www.theguitarfiles.com/guitarfile712.html

Alfa Tard fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Oct 27, 2007

Alfa Tard
Sep 30, 2002

Stoopid Noobie

Squier Jazz for modding fun. So far just a D tuner has been added.

Alfa Tard fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Nov 2, 2007

Alfa Tard
Sep 30, 2002

Stoopid Noobie

Carbohydrates posted:

that's a beautiful top!

Alfa Tard
Sep 30, 2002

Stoopid Noobie

help i am on fire posted:

I'm a sucker for colored strings. Mock me if you feel the need.

i like it sometimes too

Alfa Tard
Sep 30, 2002

Stoopid Noobie

help i am on fire posted:

Also, though I have gotten to adore my P-bass since I found a good American model, wrapping your hands around a jazz neck is a great luxury if you're going for faster runs. Although this is ultimately a comfort issue and not a tone one, so I don't really let that get in the way. Jazz necks were made for speed. A P-bass is like playing a Louisville slugger comparatively.

Aye I love the feel of the Jazz and the sound of the P. I'm thinking of making a hybrid P/J body/neck and P/MM in the pickups department. I have an 81 P but am tired of playing it as it's so bulky.

Oh, and the Jag bass is ugly to me. I can't say why, sometimes I like retro, but they just aren't attractive to me.

Alfa Tard
Sep 30, 2002

Stoopid Noobie

Susano-maku da! posted:

A bit late in posting this, but here it is:

Fernandes Ravelle Elite

These things look cool, would love to try one some day

Alfa Tard
Sep 30, 2002

Stoopid Noobie

jonawesome posted:

Not quite the same. His looks to be a neck-thru while yours is probably a set neck. A detail which would probably affect the tone/sustain of the guitar.

I dunno how big a deal it is. I've owned guitars and basses that were neck through, set and bolt ons and the quality of the instrument *never* hinged on whether or not it was a neck through. I love Les Pauls and Wawrick LXs (bolt on basses). It's a design feature that works better with some guitars than others but I'd never base a purchase on that feature.

Alfa Tard
Sep 30, 2002

Stoopid Noobie

commissargribb posted:

a pickguard for my jazz bass!

and maybe someday I'll get some decent pickup covers that fit these pickups.

I came close to ordering the same pickguard but I don't think the screw holes will line up properly. I love rollergirls! How is the quality?

Alfa Tard
Sep 30, 2002

Stoopid Noobie

Carbohydrates posted:

edit

Okay, I was browsing Warmoth and they got me. I saw this and just couldn't resist. Looks like I'm building another guitar! I'm gonna do a black pickguard and ebony fretboard on this one.

Black pickguard? I'd go with clear!

Alfa Tard
Sep 30, 2002

Stoopid Noobie

Steiler Drep posted:

Props on the purchase though. I don't like LPs as much but I guess you'll enjoy it a lot.

I love LPs, grats on the guitar!

Alfa Tard
Sep 30, 2002

Stoopid Noobie

Handen posted:

Can anybody tell me what sort of old Dimarzio humbucker this is? I missed the auction ending by 5 mins ( :argh: ) and it only went for $31, so if it pops up next time I'd like a little more info than just "Dimarzio HB w/ sun logo"

Their Rickenbacker neck pickup I think

Alfa Tard
Sep 30, 2002

Stoopid Noobie

Noise Machine posted:

Order this big rear end black box about a week ago. Should be here in the next day or so.

But this means that I have to find a head to go with it, and play the waiting game. I'm looking at a used Ampeg solid state, the B2RE if possible.

a GK400RB would prolly work well with that. i used to have an SWR 2X12 and it was a good combination

Alfa Tard
Sep 30, 2002

Stoopid Noobie

3toes posted:

Should be here early next week.

Educate yo'self, fool! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnmtI1sOK3Y

i've been wanting one since they came out but just never picked one up. niiiiice!

Alfa Tard
Sep 30, 2002

Stoopid Noobie

Black Sheep Boy posted:

The very day after I 'treated' myself to a cheap new acoustic guitar (which I liked less and less the more I played it), my parents informed me that they were going to buy me a nice guitar for my birthday. So tonight I got this:

1976 Guild F-30. It plays like a dream and it sounds beautiful. Its exactly the guitar I've always wanted.

Oh yeah, I bet that sounds nice. I've always liked Guild acoustics. Their chambered Les Paul copies are great too.

Alfa Tard
Sep 30, 2002

Stoopid Noobie

Capitan Dad posted:

Show us the whole thing.

+1 yeah baby!

Alfa Tard
Sep 30, 2002

Stoopid Noobie

Schatten posted:

I uhhhh skipped out on the Reverend & Telecaster buys and opted for something to round out my P-bass, Jazz-bass, Tobias and Ibanez sound with something... else.

beautiful. just, beautiful.

Alfa Tard
Sep 30, 2002

Stoopid Noobie

the wizards beard posted:

To add to the Epi discussion, the LP Elite I posted a while back is now mine.

Got the hardcase and a new set of hardware (bridge, strap pins, pickup covers, tailpiece, screws etc) thrown in as well.

I want one!

Alfa Tard
Sep 30, 2002

Stoopid Noobie

ONE- TWO- TESTING posted:

Oooo I want one of these! Thinking of selling my Precision to pay for it too, how do you like it?

Alfa Tard
Sep 30, 2002

Stoopid Noobie

Sacred Cow posted:

This is my pride and joy.

3.5 years of waiting was well worth it.

ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Alfa Tard
Sep 30, 2002

Stoopid Noobie
Only the pickguard and covers are new, but I thought they'd look better than the black on red that was there before. Had to custom order the pickguard so that the screw holes would line up (it's only an '81 but there's no extra holes or routing anywhere). Normally this would have an extra knob and a switch but the preamp is not installed so it's currently wired like a traditional Precision, the holes were cut so that I could add 2 more and the knobs would be in the correct places.

Alfa Tard
Sep 30, 2002

Stoopid Noobie

MrWeight posted:

Are you in The PimpBot

Not familiar with them but I'm assuming that's a band and the answer is no.

juicy_J posted:

What's with the hosed up tuning machine alignment?

hosed up alignment? You mean why aren't they turned the same way for the picture or am I missing something?

The only things hosed up about it are the weight (about 11 pounds), the finish (not overly smooth on top, it's got plenty of spots where it's worn through to the gold undercoat), the preamp isn't in it and the thumbrest is missing entirely (I'd need to add an extra screw hole to the current pickguard for one). It has great low action and tone.

I've got a couple of Squiers I'm modding and may post before long; a P with Duncan QPs and a DiMarzio X2N7 and a J with the pickups and electronics from a Thumb NT. I also have a J sized wenge neck that I haven't decided where it's going to end up. New bridges and hipshot machines and D tuners will likely make their appearance as well.

Alfa Tard
Sep 30, 2002

Stoopid Noobie

cylyk posted:

looks fine to me too, and the "orange peel" looks like compression artifacts

aye gif compression isn't pretty but it makes the images small. the finish is a little rough in some places but it's not unusual for fenders of the time, i may try to get it buffed up at some point. if it's not a real P then i'm mighty impressed with the workmanship; the undercoat is correct, the preamp has Fender on the circuitboard, there are 2 serial number stickers in the neck pocket (one of which actually matches the headstock SN#), there's a CNC hole under the pickguard, the machine heads have the Fender logos on them, and it has the right reddish neck shims in the neck pocket. the matching serial numbers is what gets to me, Fender quality control was in a bad way in the early 80s. actually it was in a bad way before then; i know one of the engineers that used to work there way back when and he's got a lot of stories. he also worked for gibson, peavey and schecter at different times.

i offered it up for trade on the talkbass forums a while back and got some decent trade offers but nothing i was willing to let this go for. ignore the $2K comment as it was there just so i'd have a price attached, it's actual value is probably around $1K as is. the images include the black pickguards that came with the bass and include shots of the front and back of the headstock. the color was not altered in these or the outside shot in this thread; it's a difference in color from flash and sunlight.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=381551

Alfa Tard
Sep 30, 2002

Stoopid Noobie

noblystabbed posted:

Edit: this came in the mail yesterday:

It plays real nice, but it's suffers from neck-dive :(

So you're the guy who bought this, beautiful! The right strap can reduce the neck dive. How's it play and sound?

Alfa Tard
Sep 30, 2002

Stoopid Noobie

Ichron posted:

Getting closer...

Gorgeous guitar, but it would have been nice if they'd included the month in that title

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alfa Tard
Sep 30, 2002

Stoopid Noobie

lechunnel posted:

Thanks for allaying my fears. I reckon it looks pretty sweet in fact - I was just scared I'd hosed my axe.

Nah Dragon Eye is spot on there. This is very common on old guitars but to see it on a '95 means it's been through some changes. This will likely settle down after a while instead of getting worse (depending on environmental changes). Besides, now it's got 70's mojo!