Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

I love all the crazy poo poo Fender pumped out to catch the surf-rock wave (no pun intended) back in the 1960's. I :love: my Jazzmaster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Mugendai posted:

Yeah I really love that Cyclone II because you can get some really awesome surf sounds out of it like a jaguar, but can also turn on and off the pickups in different configurations to get to get really good tones for heavier stuff.

I only regret trading in my Cyclone for my first Jazz Bass because said bass got stolen. :(

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Ibanez RG2228

ESP STEF-B7

I pray to have either one of these soon. :flashfap:

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Jonny 290 posted:

...8 strings?

That's amazing.

How's it tuned?

I'm guessing with a low F#. I found initially on Sam Ash and said that Meshuggah was the big reason this thing was released to consumers.

Full Collapse fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Feb 14, 2007

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Dr.Mosh posted:

I just ordered the 8 string, but it will only be deliverable in June :(
And I own the LTD version of that carpenter 7-string baritone. It's quite nice, fairly hard to play though for some reason (compared to my 7 string ibanez universe and my baritone 6 string), and I really dislike the EMG 81-7 pickups. I might switch them for the EMG 707s, or get a luthier to adjust the pickup spacing so I can put some lundgrens or bare knuckles in there

I've heard Platypus say the same thing (he settled on a Schecter C7 Hellraiser). I really like Stephen Carpenter's tone, but its a crapshoot if I'll get to play any instrument with either 81-7s or 707s in it since all music stores within 50 miles of me sell 90% Fender branded stuff.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Carbohydrates posted:

That thing really does look great. And hey, no worries about people stealing it, anyone who's been to a show of yours should recognize it instantly!

I'm ordering this in 2 days, as soon as I get paid. Been saving for a while now and I can practically taste it.

Fender Thin Skin '62 RI Jaguar

Does "Thin Skin" mean a smaller thickness than usual? Because that thing looks mad skinny compared to a typical Fender.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Synonamess Botch posted:

In addition, though I don't know which dimension you're referring to, Jags are pretty tiny guitars overall.

I was referring to the thickness of the body as it seems skinnier than usual.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Dragon Eye Morrison posted:

Krank Rev Jr. Half Stack
Where did you get that?

Engine Fortegue posted:

Doesn't Dethklok use Krank amps?

Yep. The credits also show endorsements from Gibson as well.

Full Collapse fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Nov 21, 2007

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Placebo Messiah posted:

ok I seem to have confused rms with something sort of related.

Would the rms power be the same value as the rectified output?

Depends on how the term "rectified output" is being used.

In traditional terms using a sine wave for example, a positively rectified output would be the resultant output when the negative portion of the sine wave is clipped off and negatively rectified would be the inverse.

Really, rectified is a wave shape rather than a unit since you can measure the peak voltage or the RMS voltage of a rectified signal.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

The sonic apocalypse is nigh.

This is a proof-of-concept circuit for part of my senior design project. In the end, there will be four of these bitches cascading into each other.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

cylyk posted:

cooooool... what does it do?

This will end up growing into a distortion/overdrive effect for a effects floorboard.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

That Guy From Pearldiver posted:

Early Xmas grift from me to me. :D
Boss GEB-7 EQ pedal

$70 pedal for $35 because of a little damage external damage.

:rock: Awesome :rock:

I love buying used stuff. It has soul already included. :)

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

øptimysticism posted:

This arrived over the weekend compliments of eBay:

2004 CIJ Jazzmaster in pretty much immaculate condition. The color is semi-transparent, with an almost purplish hue it seems; much better than an opaque white, I think. I'm still tweaking the setup (the truss rod adjustments were a pain) but I can't say I'm not thrilled with it.

'Sup, Jazzmaster buddy? :cool:

3-tone sunburst reissue owner here. I can't really tell by the bridge in the photo, but consider swapping the stocker out for a tune-o-matic as I'm sure many people will and have already said so.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

I'm seriously looking into a Hiwatt Bulldog. I hate having to haul a 2x12 combo everywhere for jam sessions and it's way too loud for my apartment. :(

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Hay doods, look what I got yesterday!

New pickups, pickguard, graphite nut, graphite string trees, and miscellaneous electronics.

Bridge - GFS Power Rails
Middle - GFS Alnico Boutique R/W
Neck - GFS Crunchy PAT

I also got in the Wasabi Overdrive deal that went on last month. With the Crunchy PAT, its a very smooth, bluesy overdrive, with the Alnico Boutique, I get a very Cars-era Ric Ocasek tone, and with the Power Rails, it loving screams.

I've always loved this guitar, so the next addition to it will be a new neck later down the road.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

qball posted:

At what point in the process of upgrading a Strat does it cease to be the same guitar? Swapping out the neck would be a major change almost akin to a new guitar.

I believe that once you change the body, its a completely different guitar. Necks are an appendage that can break, warp, etc..., so replacing those aren't a big deal to me. But once the body is replaced, the soul is replaced too.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

3toes posted:

I think those are fingerprints/smudges.

Leftover sticker residue that I tried to buff out.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Just had to buy this thing:

Roland CUBE 15X

loving neighbors! :argh:

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Stux posted:

Just managed to win one of these on ebay for £150 ($300~) with a hardcase. They retail for £280 ($560~) here without a hardcase so I'm pretty loving happy right now!

I can't wait for it to get here!

For 150 GBP, thats a loving steal. Good job!

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

FlossMan posted:

Awwww yeah baby, nothing like modeled tape echoes.

I really want to get the equalizer that's shaped like that thing.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

I got my bass back. :unsmith:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2808916

Darth Fungus posted:

[img-Crate Amp]
I love how its a Crate amp with a cabinet that looks like a shipping crate.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

3toes posted:

I've been eying the Jack Casady Epiphone bass lately and have heard nothing but great things about it. Maybe once I get my Economic Stimulus Package in May/June :haw:

http://www.jackcasady.com/VideoProductionHigh.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9K4LQ2Nh94

edit: also available in black, but I dig the gold-top

I always wanted to play a Jack Casady just because they look so drat awesome.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

My new Fender Powerhouse Strat in Metallic Caramel. This is one of the hottest looking strats I've ever seen. It's a MiM, but comes with noiseless active pickups, and a 12db boost. With that boost it's got the most balls I've ever heard in a strat with singles.

Here's a more closeup shot to see the metallic flakes. Looks awesome in person.

Could you take a picture of the back? I'm curious to see where the battery compartment is.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Handen posted:

Here's that Telecaster I bought for cheap because of the bullet holes, totally converted to an Esquire with NOS 1950's capacitors, a Fender Samarium Cobalt Noiseless bridge pickup, a kill-switch and a HipShot Drop-D/G&B Bender.

I've had the guitar for nearly a year, got the pickup and hipshot a few months ago but haven't posted a picture. So there it is. :)

Thats a horrible mess. I love it.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Agreed posted:

I don't really go out for the whole "Vine of Life" inlay nonsense, would prefer something a bit less gaudy, and overall the thing is more "bling" than any other guitar I've owned or own, but the playability and sound are absolutely fantastic, literally better than any guitar I've ever played (close second being an Ibanez Joe Satriani Signature guitar in red).
Don't worry about it. Everyone should be able to own at least one instrument decked out in bling. :)

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

ZombiePeanut posted:

The little big muff is pretty much the perfect fuzz distortion. The tone knob changes how it sounds a ton. Also, the normal big muff pi is loving massive for no apparent reason. It's kind of funny.

Component material aside, a lot of people argue that point-to-point or through-hole PCB fabrication techniques sound better ( :rolleye: ) than surface-mount PCB fabrication which I'm assuming the Little Big Muff uses.

The issue isn't how the thing is laid out or the layout technique per se, but what the components (resistors, capacitors, etc...) are made of and that surly music store repair techs hate fixing surface-mount equipment so they'll say that point-to-point and the like sound better mostly, if only, because they're easier to fix.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Chalupa Joe posted:

unbuffered wahs

Do Morleys suffer from this problem at all?

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Dzus posted:

I've wanted an Ibanez for 3-4 years now, and after extensive research and playing I determined that I probably wouldn't find the model I wanted without dumping at least 4 digits into a Joe Satriani model.

Boy was I wrong.

Click here for the full 977x380 image.

Click here for the full 902x600 image.

Click here for the full 962x248 image.

Click here for the full 884x457 image.

Ibanez 540R LTD. According to the serial number its a Japanese made 1991, but I thought they quit making the R's in 1990? Anyway, it cost me $400 looks and sounds so so good, and nailed what I wanted from an Ibanez.

It was a toss-up between this and a Kramer Vanguard, both guitars were great, but this one sat so perfectly with me, so I see myself playing it more than I would the Vanguard.

'Sup, fellow "just bought an Ibanez" buddy?

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

mono posted:

new toys

Glad you like them. :)

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Gramps posted:

Speaking of open source pedals- line 6 is selling one also, and theirs is dirt cheap- 200 bucks for the software, the dock (which looks like one of their compact pedals), and a module, and additional modules are 35 bucks. Looks pretty awesome. Check it out.

Now that's loving rad.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

ZombiePeanut posted:

Yeah, that looks like it's designed about a gazillion times better than the other one.

edit: and you can write your effects in C. Sign me the gently caress up. It's like the random crossover wet dream for people who are both guitar players and software engineers. Like me.

'Sup engineering musician buddy? :hfive:

/edit: To contribute...

One of these would be pretty rad.

It's a theremin. To "play" it, you move hands/feet/whatever over the spherical antenna which alters the electromagnetic field around said antenna. Lots of weird noises can be made.

http://www.hiwatt.com/data/HiwattFX.html

Its like the grandpappy to the Thingamagoop.

Full Collapse fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Aug 27, 2008

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

I've got one of these being delivered tomorrow.

I'm going to need a power brick soon.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

3toes posted:

Here's some pics of my extensive, expensive, extraordinary recording setup:

I/O devices.

Does the bar of foam serve as a mute?

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

TheDingo posted:

I've always messed with looping but never bit the bullet and bought something decent for it. This week I sold my dust collecting Wii and used the cash to grab an EHX 2880 with footpedal.

Well friend, you got yourself a looper and then some.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

I've been thinking of getting a Rocktron Gainiac and running it into the Line In section on my JC-120. I have no idea if it would work, but it'd be fun to try.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Just bought some of these today. I can't wait to try them out. :)

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

CUBEANGLE posted:

They're great, mellow but really toneful.

Sounds like what I was looking for. :) I'm hoping in the end they'll give me some punch but without all the higher overtones I get with round wounds.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Just had this thought. I really wish SWR would bring back the Mo' Bass.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Costello Jello posted:

I wonder if Peavey ever looks at their logo and thinks "drat, this is so 80's but we're stuck with it forever".

I think the logo is part of their charm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Stux posted:

I'm going to pick one of these up soon. Its going to be getting a warmoth 28" scale baritone neck and a BKP. Going to try tuning it to drop E.

I just went to BKP's website for the first time. Goddamn do I want me a set of Warpigs.