Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

BARTHOLOMEW THEODOSUS IS NOT AMUSED

Because trying to play anytyhing other than basic rythmns on an Akai MPD16 is a real bitch. :gonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

HumanSpeedBump posted:

TR-626 Rhythm Corroder
A bent TR-626 Rhythm Composer a friend built for me for a small fee. The box with upward pointing screws on the right side of the machine is a patch bay where connections are made by bridging two or more screws with alligator clips. The results wreck the machine's sound in many beautiful ways, and since multiple bends can be tied together, the combinations are almost unlimited.

Is there any way we can get some sound clips of that? I would love to hear what crazy things can come out of that thing.

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

HumanSpeedBump posted:

Ask and ye shall receive.

Wow, that was pretty cool. Do you have any ideas of how the bends are mapped out in regards to how they may affect the sound, or do you pretty much have to fly by the seat of your pants?

I may have to hunt down one of those and see if your friend would be willing to bend one for me.

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

Duke Chin posted:

In other news: Tonight was the first chance I've really had to sit down, grab a glass of booze and have some fun with this thing. Outside of work, two loving power outages, company and grumpy downstairs neighbors I haven't really been able to break a sweat making fun noises with crazy patches until a few hours ago. Bonus: I have tomorrow and saturday off. Oh yes, I'm having me some fun.

Dude, make sure to record and post some of the stuff you come up with during Happy Fun Play Time. :)

Just recently purchased these:

They're fun to play with (especially for the price), but I can see why they're not really recommended for gigging. But that's okay, for the stuff I want to do they probably wouldn't be stepped on anyway. They also give easy access to the circuit boards for possible bending as well.

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

QuantumKat posted:

I have one of these, it kicks rear end. Bad news though: the Akai MPD's are the best thing going to hit out rhythms. As a matter of fact I want an Akai MPD 24... ;)

Well, I do plan on using the MPD for rhythm stuff. But I wanted the PCR for other things. Even though I am currently running into an issue with the driver install under OSX (for some reason it tells me it's installing correctly, when it really isn't), I'm glad I purchased it.

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

I just put down some money on one of these today:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

A bit of craigslist shopping today netted me (no camera ATM, so no pics):

KMD RP-150A PA Amp
Casio CT-607 keyboard (wonky power socket, figure I could resolder the connector and then circuit bend the poo poo out of it)
Internals to a 1971 Carvin B1600 Bass Master amp head (dunno why the guy removed it from the cabinet. He said it works fine, but for some reason it isn't grounding properly)
All for $50

Also for $50:
Korg N5 Synthesizer

ReverendHammer fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Dec 2, 2007

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

Dragon Eye Morrison posted:

I plan on getting a ZT Lunchbox when it comes out this coming spring:

That's the actual size (7" x 8" x 4"), and it's made out of an actual lunchbox. The little bastard puts out over 200 watts at over 120 decibels. At $200, I don't give a gently caress how it sounds, that's just too cool in my book.

I saw the press release on Harmony Central this afternoon. When I saw the specs, the first words out of my mouth were "gently caress. ME. RUNNING."

I just hope it doesn't sound like complete and utter rear end, though.

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

Gargladdy posted:

Picked this up for free not too long ago. I LOVE it. It's a Baldwin Encore in case anybody was wondering.

and I just got this little guy today for 5 dollars at a thrift store. It's a Magnus Electric chord organ, it sorta sounds like an accordion.

I think I'm in the market for a synth, I'm considering a microkorg or saving a little more for a roland sh-201.

Man, those are pretty nice scores, especially for what you (didn't) pay for them.

As for your synth considerations, if you can get a good deal on a used microKorg, I'd recommend it. If you must go new, then it's 50-50. Play with both at a GC if you have one nearby. Or really save up your money and get both. :)

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

Went into GC today to pick up a keyboard stand and walked out with one of these for $75 (no cable or drivers, but that's easily fixed):

Only registered members can see post attachments!

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

I've been out of the music creation game for a while now, but thanks to a purchase I made at a garage sale yesterday, I may have to get back into it...

Bought it off of a couple who were obviously artists (lots of paintings, glass work, and jewelry), so I wouldn't be surprised if this was hand made. It's obvious it's well traveled, and it is going to need a bit of work:

The crack looks like it was glued back well enough, so I don't think I have anything to worry about. But those strings will have to go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

Los Padre posted:

It's a hammered dulcimer. There is a little bit of a chorusy effect with the multiple strings, the attack is unique (because it's hit, rather than plucked). It's a pretty sound.

My hope is that once the strings are replaced it will sound much better. At the moment, it's so horribly out of tune that my cat is scared of it. And considering that many of the strings have rust on them, I'm guessing if that I attempt to tune it, it will pop strings left and right.

I still need to get mallets for the thing, since the guy I bought it off of didn't have any. Easy enough to get wood and soft-head mallets locally, but I think I may give a try and making some out of some form of metal and possibly a pair where the heads are made out of glass.