Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

Captain Organ posted:

My new baby :cool:

thats on backorder for 90 days :smith:

5 internet points to the first person who figures out whats special about it. aside from the fact that it is beautiful.

No upper horn control, toggle switch pickup control, baritone HH? What so special?

triteon posted:

I got this in September or maybe October. I'm getting some nice sounds out of it.

Is that vintage or AVRI?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

dephconn posted:

Nice and cheap so I don't have to worry about it, and the tones that come out of this $100 thing are really nice. I'm not satisfied with the bridge, and I think I'm either going to buy another toploader or bite the bullet and make it a string thru body.

The neck, although unfinished, is a comfortable C shape, and the finish has no flaws that I've been able to find. Quite a deal.

These guitars are fun. I've modified the hell out of mine and I had to shim the neck to make it playable, but it's still one hell of a guitar, eh?

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

The Rocket Salad posted:

Put a Seymour Duncan Hot Rail in the bridge position with a coil tap, couple that with the phase switching - oh man so many sounds.

Wouldn't that destroy the point of getting a Mustang for it's singlecoil sound?

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
I'm gonna sell this...

and buy everything I need to make this...

...within the next month or two.

I never figured drawing would be a relatively easy way to make shitloads of money. I should draw more often.

XYZAB fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Mar 13, 2007

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

Wooley posted:

this finally came in the mail. not my picture, but i don't have a camera right now. mine looks different but i'm loving the poo poo out of it. there's 3 inputs (i think) on the back i'm not sure what to do with though. (Zebranalogic VCF from peru)

That looks cool. What does it do?

Edit: I've found some sound clips... it reminds me of the stuff you'd hear at the end of a Qotsa record. How much did it set you back?

XYZAB fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Mar 13, 2007

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

belikeron posted:

The gold hardware looks so much better.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
Should I get a Roland G-707?

Or an Ovation Viper?

Or this Jaguar?

I want a midi guitar so I can use it as a controller for a mic hooked up to a vocoder, hence the G-707, but I don't even know if that's possible. Or the Viper because they're badass and I'll never find a GP for a decent price, or the Jaguar because they're my favourite guitars of all time. I already have two Jaguars though, and it might be time for a change.

Specifically I was thinking the G-707 so I can use it like DFA1979 used their midi keyboards through a vocoder to change their voice in songs from their EP, or the way Daft Punk sings "Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger" near the end of the song. Anybody know about this? Or am I gonna have to experiment with it myself?

Help goons. :saddowns:

XYZAB fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Apr 4, 2007

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

bisticles posted:

Doesn't the 707 require some sort of fancy proprietary floorboard dealie to make it output real midi?

edit: Are you getting the idea for the Ovation and the 707 from Chrisguitars.com? I only ask because I noticed that they were both on the front page of "new" items, and didn't see any other place in the universe where their paths would cross.

Yeah the 707 is pretty much useless without its synth thing supposedly. And no, I've never been to chrisguitars.com. I've had an interest in the 707 for the longest time because it's just so loving weird looking, and the Viper because Josh Homme and Joey Santiago used them from time to time and they're pretty unique.

Edit: Holy poo poo, thanks for the chrisguitars link... I'm getting $1500 back in income taxes and $1000 for my drawing when the gallery exhibition it's at finishes up... I hope the 707 is still there in two weeks.

XYZAB fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Apr 4, 2007

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

bisticles posted:

That... is awesome.

I got a BYOC Rat clone yesterday. I'm going to paint it brown and call it The Dirty Sanchez.

....is this based on a DIY kit from generalguitargadgets.com?

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

Aeon posted:

For the bridge, you either need to use a thick gauge (.11 or higher), or replace the saddles with Mustang ones to prevent the strings from jumping from the slots.

False. Just rotate the saddles to a similar degree as the neck and you won't have to worry about it. I'll draw a diagram tomorrow if this doesnt make sense.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

Occupy Japan posted:

Would someone mind explaining to me what the deal with Jazzmaster bridges are? Anytime one is brought up, people instantly chime in suggesting to change it to a Mustang (iirc) bridge, and I just never understood why Jazzmaster bridges suck so bad (probably because I've never owned one :smith: )

Instead of one single slot for a string to sit, Jazzmaster and Jaguar bridge saddles have many slots where the strings could sit (think of it like you'd think of threading on a screw). Well if a JM or Jag owner isn't crafty and willing to experiment with a hex key a little bit then they'll bitch and moan about how the strings always slip from one slot to the next like it's impossible to fix without a Mustang bridge - though if using higher gauge strings they'll slip more often than naught anyway.

Edit:

Left = Jazzmaster/Jaguar saddle.
Right = Mustang saddle.

Edit 2:

Okay here's a diagram to keep your strings from slipping into other saddle grooves, looking from the butt of the guitar down the neck.

It's basically like rotating the saddles to the point that whenever you make a stroke it'll just press the strings into the saddle instead of pressing it down into the next saddle or other threads of the same saddle.

XYZAB fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Apr 19, 2007

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

Uncle Caveman posted:

Thanks! I really love the Antiquities - really fat and plunky sounding, like a cross between a P-90 and a Rickenbacker. However, the cover is what holds the pickup in place - otherwise, it's just sitting on a piece of foam. There might be enough room at the edges to drill small holes for small mounting screws, but remember that the bobbin on vintage-style JM pickups is often just really stiff cardboard covered in wax.

For what you're describing, I'd rather paint the covers themselves: wipe down with naptha or paint thinner to remove any oil, spray w/ Krylon designed for plastics, repeat a dozen or two coats, then clearcoat.

Guitarpartsresource.com sells black JM pickup covers.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

RocketTurtle posted:

i bought myself one of these:

I cannot emphasize how fast this thing plays. It's the Geddy Lee model, complete with the tapered down neck...so...fast.

My friend has one of these. It's awesome.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

Merkin Muffley posted:

Oh why hello there Mr. Crybaby...

Wah and volume in one pedal, I can't wait to get my grubby little mits on this thing to screw around with it for hours seeing what kind of sounds I can make.

My uncle found one of these in his closet from 1971 (although made by Jen Electronica in Italy) and he gave it to me straight up if I could fix the scratchy pot. So I took it all apart, took the pot apart, cleaned the post and soldered it all back together again. It's a sweet pedal. Enjoy. :D

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

Aeon posted:

And a close up:

I actually got these both about a month ago but didn't get a chance to take any decent pictures. The Jaguar is perfect as is, but I might change the pickguard out for a tortoise shell one.

The Mustang is a lot of fun, but needs hotter pickups. I'm looking at either Lace sensors or Seymour Duncan hot Jaguar single coils.

What's up Gunmetal Blue JGS-86 buddy? Where'd you find yours? And what mods have you done?

XYZAB fucked around with this message at 22:40 on May 7, 2007

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

Aeon posted:

I got mine from Pittsburgh Guitars used. I have no idea how the original owner got it. They had a black HH there, but the two guitars were exactly the same except for the finish. I really love the necks on these things -- takes a little getting used to, but once you do it's the 25.5" scale that feels weird.

All I need to complete my offset collection is a Jazzmaster!

Nice, the control plates look all tarnished like mine but the pickups don't look that way... has it been modded?

You should join the shortscale.org forums for all your Jaguar/Mustang needs.

the wizards beard posted:

I know some people put tape on their pickups to stop strings getting stuck on the sides during divebombs, but why do you have taped up pups on a fixed bridge?

e: you edited quick.

When I got the new pickguard custom made the guy who cut it made the humbucker mounting-ring screwholes a bit too big so the screws kept falling out, thus the humbuckers kept falling out, so I taped them in. I've since visited a tech who helped me find some larger screws.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

Aeon posted:

I actually signed up for shortscale, but never got a reply from the admin. I did join offsetguitars, though.

The control plates and bridge seem to have originally been black metal rather than chrome to begin with. I may eventually get around to replacing them with new chrome ones, and also change the knobs for the usual Jaguar types.

As far as pickups, I don't know. I think they're original but like I said I got this guitar used. I CAN say that they sound really good, and almost more like a single coil than a humbucker.

Hmm... I dunno if they're original. Here's what my HH looked like before I swapped mine out:

They're tarnished, too.

And if you ever get rid of your tarnished control plates and knobs in favour of regular chrome ones, let me know. ;) My knobs keep falling off and I cant find ones like that anywhere.

Out of curiousity, what's the serial number on your HH? Mine's CIJ P-078170. I trying to pin down exactly when these were made because the info on Japanese sites isn't exactly in depth.

XYZAB fucked around with this message at 22:54 on May 7, 2007

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

Aeon posted:

Well no poo poo. I'll check out what they are next time I change the strings.

Serial number is: P067974

Now that I notice, it looks like the bridge was changed also. Heh, I guess it's good that I got the used one instead of the new shiny black HH. It also had straplock buttons installed, but that might have been how it was built... so tell me, what was yours like stock?

All the metal bits were tarnished black (but when I clean them with guitar spray they turn dark iridescent rainbow), including the tuners, the neck plate and the strap buttons (which aren't strap-locks) and it looks like it's got a bone nut. The bridge looks almost identical to yours, except it's black. Next time you take the strings off check the maker of the bridge, mine's got Gotoh stamped underneath it which leads me to believe all of the non Jaguar specific parts were made by Gotoh.

All of the places that I regularly touch on the metal have worn down to the nickel, such as where my palm rests on the bridge, where I adjust the volume on the lower control plate, where I hold the guitar near the bottom-most screw on the top control plate and half of the neck plate when I reach for the upper fret registers. You can even see when I had the original pickups in that the upper and lower part of the bridge pup had worn back down to shiny nickel.

The resistance of the original bridge pup was 8.00K ohm and the neck resistance was 7.86K ohm, so if you ever check that out it might be able to verify whether or not they're original. Maybe the factory just had to use the export (black jag) HH chrome pickup covers and bridge because they ran out one day? Who knows.

XYZAB fucked around with this message at 23:26 on May 7, 2007

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

Aeon posted:

I got really curious so I went ahead and opened up the pickguard. What a surprise -- a Seymour Duncan Jazz in the neck and a JB in the bridge. All of the wiring appears to have been redone too. The nut is bone, and the bridge is a "SIC" (not sure what company does that, but I'm assuming it's somehow better than what the stock bridge was). The tuners weren't replaced but they work well anyways.

That's pretty sweet then, do all the switches function as they would on a normal Jag?

Edit: I just missed out on a Telecaster that had been shot three times... Damnit!

XYZAB fucked around with this message at 05:45 on May 8, 2007

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

Susano-maku da! posted:

I saw that one on eBay. Did you read it? The guy did it by himself on purpose! Just got a friend to shoot it with a 22.

Yeah, I'm pissed that I didn't buy it to be honest. $325 for a Telecaster is quite the deal.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

Susano-maku da! posted:

Was it a recent MIM? You can get MIM tele's for 300 someodd off ebay.

Old MIJ. With bulletholes, that's still like less than half of what a regular MIJ/CIJ Telecaster goes for.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

:haw:

BIN of $350 for a mid-80's MIJ Fender Telecaster with speed holes? Hell Yes!

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

Susano-maku da! posted:

HAHAHA

I shoulda known a goon bought this!!

I saw this auction and another guy in this thread bid on it and lost out. We were making fun of the fact that the holes were made by the guy shooting the tele with a .22 on purpose.

Yeah, I think that was me you're talking about. I didn't bid on it last time, but the guy who won it last time turned out to be a deadbeat bidder. I messaged the seller and said "Hello, if the guy who won the last auction is a deadbeat bidder, please let me know if and when you re-list this item."

He messaged me this afternoon. :haw:

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

Engine Fortegue posted:

Kind makes me wanna take my project axe down to the range for some "upgrades"

edit: Are the bullets still in the body?

No they went straight through.

edit: :awesome: ▼▼▼▼

XYZAB fucked around with this message at 18:27 on May 12, 2007

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

vac posted:

G&L F-100 Series II. Very cool.

Are those vintage Dimarzio pickups? Super II's perhaps?

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

Uncle Caveman posted:

Looks like humbucking versions of their MFD singlecoils.

What's going on with the neckjoint here?

▼ Ah, that makes perfect sense. Thanks. :)

XYZAB fucked around with this message at 14:26 on May 31, 2007

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

Mighty Scoop posted:

Just scored a Boss FZ-2 off Craigslist for 40 bucks. This thing is MEAN. Think oceans of sludge, redlining amps, and grinding buzzsaws and you have some idea what it sounds like. Completely nails the Dopethrone tone.

drat man, I listed my BF-3 on Facebook and haven't got any takers, but can't find anything else either!

Lucky!

Edit: poo poo, there's a Fender Strat w/ case & a Peavey Bandit 112 amp included for $350... And I just bought a Telecaster!! If it's a good year I might buy it and re-sell it. gently caress I wish I had money right now!!!!

XYZAB fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Jun 1, 2007

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

82Daion posted:

Should arrive within the next month or so. It's a 1975 Alembic Series I, owned in a past life by fusion trumpeter Donald Byrd.

Oh my god, how much is that setting you back?

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

The Gasmask posted:

My mobile rack, including Macbook Pro, Epogee Ensemble, and TC Electronics Powercore Firewire

Wow, this looks really cool. Could you explain your setup a little bit? I'm looking to set up a home studio based around a macbook pro but I'm not sure where to start exactly.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
Where can I buy a top-loading Telecaster bridge plate with humbucker route? Is it possible to find this with a mini humbucker route? Or are there top loading Tele bridge plates with no pickup slot, a blank, so that I can cut my own mini humbucker slot?

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
Anyone ever played one of these?

If so, what'd you think?

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

Engine Fortegue posted:

Holy poo poo is that a double neck mosrite?!

Yup. A mid 60's Mosrite Joe Maphis Doubleneck. I dunno if I wanna save up for one of these, at anywhere from $3000-$5000, or buy a Roland G707 for less than half that and a shitload of synth equipment. I'm stuck!

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

El Bi Ranchero posted:

I won the auction! This isnt the reissue and it cost me a pretty penny. I will post more pics when it arrives :woop:

Good for you, man!

As for me, well here's hoping....!

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

qball posted:

My dream amp would be a Marshall Bluesbreaker but I keep having second thought because of the volume needed for natural break-up.

You post has put ownership of one of these babies back on my mind though.

Why not just forget about that, buy the amp, and then get one of these to crank the amp at while leaving it at bedroom practice level:

A Tom Scholz Power Soak.

It does the same thing that the modern Gibson Attenuators/THD Hot Plates, but since it's vintage and nobody knows about them anymore, they're something like 1/3rd the price AND, unlike the modern attenuators which have a set impedance level, the Power Soak has a selectable impedance level. They were designed by the lead guitarist from Boston... an MIT masters graduate.

They go anywhere from $100-$200 on eBay, but you can find them on mom-n-pop guitar shop websites for under $100.

I plan on buying one this week. :)

XYZAB fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Jun 23, 2007

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

CandyCain&Abel posted:

Dimarzio Super II. Hell yeah.
Sorry about the stock image, but what else are you gonna do? All black/cremes look the same...

That's a PAF model. The Super II's have hexagonal pole-pieces. Also, congrats on your purchase. Which position are you putting it in?

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

Deus Rex posted:

Below that is a Fender Duo-Sonic I found in a dusty old guitar bag under my brother's bed. Does anyone know anything about these?

Lucky! Post the serial number and we can figure out how old it is for you.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

Uncle Caveman posted:

There's also Guitar Parts Resource, which has a nice selection. You should get an anodized guard; all the best-dressed sunbursts are wearing gold this season.

Are those just anodized aluminum? I work in an aluminum plant and have access to sheets of scrap aluminum and any number of coloured anodizing options, so I've been thinking of taking in my Squier '51 and Tele pickguards into the factory and asking some of the machinists if they could cut me some aluminum guards to have anodized to gold or black or green or whatever.

With an aluminum guard, do I have to worry about grounding it to the rest of the metal parts of the guitar?

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Good ol' 80's Peavey Vortex 2

Gods of FedEx....be kind.

Oh man that looks awesome... I'd be grateful to hear what that thing can do if you could post something once it's arrived. ;)

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
Can anybody recommend a vocoder that doesn't have a keyboard attached and works via a 13-pin midi interface?

For example, I want to use a Roland G-707 with a 24-pin MIDI cable, coverted to a 13-pin MIDI cable, and then utilize the synth aspect of my guitar to control the tone of my voice when simultaneously having both the guitar and a microphone set up.

Is that possible?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

Yoozer posted:

Uh...

The 24-pin cable is not a MIDI cable; it's one of those lovely proprietary formats (hello R-Bus, hello DCB) Roland dreamt up and then left in the dust. Neither is the 13-pin, I'm afraid.

If you want to use your guitar there's 2 ways:

- get a guitar > MIDI converter (Terratec AXON > http://audioen.terratec.net/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=1 ) or something like it - and use that to drive the vocoder. The carrier is then the vocoder's built in synthesizer. (Nord Micromodular/Modular/G2, Korg MicroKorg, Korg R3, or even the Korg Radias). Then input your voice as audio.

- just plug in the guitar so its audio acts as the carrier and your voice acts as the modulator. All you need is a vocoder, then. What's mentioned above will do the job, probably - important is that you get 2 inputs, one for carrier, the other for modulator.

Anyway, vocoders aren't -that- popular anymore, and if you insist on a keyboardless version, the G2 rack, Micromodular (will also act as stompbox from hell) or Modular rack version will do the job. All other rack vocoders are pretty drat expensive and vintage.

Oh yeah, then there's the Electrix Warp Factory.

Ah okay. See sometimes I don't know poo poo about this stuff and I'm glad there are places where people do know whats up, thanks a lot. :D