Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
I'm leaving for the big city tomorrow to find one of these...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

qball posted:

Part of Gibson's Guitar of the Week thing they're doing this year and one of the more interesting things to come out of it.

:ssh: They only make 400 of each guitar, and two of the stores I've talked to have one on the way... I'm hoping I can commandeer one of them with a prepayment and then try it out in a week or two.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

AstroZamboni posted:

Its a FedEx logo you can plug into an amp!

What if I attach a metal stand or post to the bottom and play it like an upright bass, or use it as a novelty hat tipper/something to stab someone with?

the wizards beard posted:

Isn't that the rip of the cardboard guitar the security guy had in the Breaking the Law video?

Haha you're right, I'd never seen that before. :)

XYZAB fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Sep 16, 2007

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
I seem to have a bit of a confusing situation.

I went up to Long & McQuade in Calgary on Sept 15th to see if I could pick up a Reverse Flying V, and they told me they had two on order, one of which was in transit, and that if I put down any amount of money as a sort of "commit-to-buy" thing, that they'd put the one in transit away for me until I could come pick it up and pay for the rest of it.

So I put down $50 and they said they'd give me a call when it came in.

Flash forward to last saturday, the 22nd, I call up to the store, anxious to know whether or not it came in. They said it had, but they had "forgotten" to mention while I was at the store someone ordered that one in June. Okay, so I'm second in line, despite what I was told. So I asked about the other one on order, to which they say another guy came in a week before me and placed his order for one. Okay, What the gently caress?

These details weren't mentioned to me while I was in the store in person, in fact, I was assured that I was on the top of the list.

Which leads me to my second point; While I was discussing the guitar with the employees behind the counter, I heard one mention to the other that someone they work with was apparently looking to buy one. Which leads me to believe the employees are dicking me out of a guitar to get their hands on one while somehow pushing me farther down the list.

Has anything like this ever happened to anyone else before? I've got half the mind to drive the 200km back to Calgary to have a discussion with the manager about it, just to clear it up for me (I don't want to do it over the phone), but I'm not sure if it's justified or if I'm just being a neurotic guitar nerd. Any opinion on the matter would be greatly appreciated.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

Weird BIAS posted:

Sup Alberta music goon? 200 Km? Are you in the Edmonton general area?

Eh, you'll get it eventually. The employees probably aren't trying to dick you around but they should pay more attention to why things are on order. Hopefully they can get another one quick, I know a guy who's (custom of course) Jackson took 6-7 months to get in with no fault on the music store.

Nah, I'm in Lethbridge.

I'm just in a huff about this because the guitars are limited to 400 in total for the entire world and nobody seems to knows what the hell is going on with them.

Long and McQuade has two more on order apparently, with no assurance that there are actually any more being shipped, and Guitarworks on Mcloed Trail told me if I put down a 50% layaway fee I could be entered into the "lottery" if Gibson chooses to send them one, so I said I'd do that only to be told that they don't know how much the guitar is selling for "but they'll look into it". :argh:

L&M has them for $960 before tax, which is great, even less than the online (and now sold out) dealers were selling them for! Guitarworks says they're somewhere around $1300-$1400, but he didn't know for sure so I couldn't do that 50% layaway thing. Anyway, enough ranting.

Is it reasonable to haggle a price over the phone for a guitar that hasn't arrived and most likely won't?

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

Mighty Scoop posted:

What if you end up hating it?

I've been thinking about this all night at work actually.

It'd probably be better if I just forget about it and do all those mods I've wanted to do on my other guitars, like volume/tone/coiltap/3-way on my Squier and get a Hipshot B-Bender for my Tele, along with three other pickups, a totally new control plate with like 10 switches etc etc.

With that though, the hard part might be finding a guitar tech who won't mind dealing with some of my hairbrained wiring ideas.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

Susano-maku da! posted:

I don't know when, maybe next paycheck, maybe the one after, but I will definitely be getting this:

But what does it sound like??

http://www.killerrockandroll.com/deathbyaudio/suprsonicfuzzgun.html

I'm in the market for an oscillator pedal, too. I had JD at General Guitar Gadgets build me Tim Escobedo's Uglyface Auto-Oscillator and since then I've been dying for more...

Check these out, too.

Edit: Here's some more poo poo that might blow you away. I'm extraordinarily interested in these noise pedals because they've got expression pedal inputs, too.

XYZAB fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Sep 26, 2007

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
Well I won't be getting that Reverse V anymore. I've decided I have enough guitars for the time being. So instead, I bought this.

<<Click Picture for Details>>

Soundclip 1
Soundclip 2
Soundclip 3
Soundclip 4
Soundclip 5

Now, does anybody know where I can find a Moogerfooger EP-1 Expression pedal?

Next in line are the Angel Ring and Devil Tail pedals.

XYZAB fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Sep 27, 2007

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
I just found out about the Moog FreqBox, now I'm anxious to find out whether I should have gone with one of them or if I made the right choice with the LAL Cyber Psychic... I guess we'll see in a few weeks!

Also, has anyone heard of Q-Tuners? If so, what do you think?

I have an idea, somebody stop me if it's too far out there...

This is a Q-Tuner Transparent humbucker:

They come in Black, White or Transparent, seen above. I think a transparent humbucker is a great idea, it's visually intriguing and interesting - but the wire is bright red, there are no other options. Bright red pickups might not be so great on an all-blue guitar.

Next, this is a Strat pickup by Curtis Novak wound with "Liquid Blue Nylon" aluminum magnet wire. The wire was manufactured in 1965, and some preliminary searching leads me to believe it's not too easy to come across.

My idea is to get into contact with both Curtis Novak and Neophyzix who make Q-Tuners, and try to have a pair of custom blue Q-tuners created; preferably by finding out where I can find blue wire and then send it to Q-Tuners for a custom pair of High Z humbuckers in blue. Am I out of my mind or is this an avenue worth exploring?

I guess they'd look like this (I made this in photoshop):

And they'd look great on this:

XYZAB fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Sep 29, 2007

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
Just got a message back about blue wire Q-tuners.

quote:

Thanks for your e-mail. The reason for the coils being red, is the fact that we
use thermo-glue wire which allows us to produce air coils. Thermo-glue magnet
wire comes in red and is baked in an oven to obtain bonded/solid coils having
their windings "fused" together. Recently, a customer asked us whether we could
manufacture a transparent silver Q-tuner. The only way to pull this off is by
immersing the bonded coils in silver paint. If this works, it will also work for
other colors such as blue. I should now more in a week or two.

So it appears it might work, if they use paint... and as an artist on the side, now I'm gonna be curious as to whether or not I can have total control over the paint colours, too. Like, maybe I can match them to the abalone guard on my Jag, or just deal with a light, slightly desaturated blue like the ones above.

I always feel like I'm being a pain in the rear end to whoever has to deal with my occasionally retarded questions, but I'm very interested in finding out how this works.

Edit:

Here's what it might look like.

XYZAB fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Oct 1, 2007

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

Dr. Klas posted:

Oh man that looks sweet! Have you read any reviews on these pickups or do you just like their look? I saw these for the first time (not IRL) last week, so come back with a full review and sound samples if you decide to buy them.

A while back I was reading some thread about Neodymium magnets and someone posted a website where these supposedly "super-magnets" could be purchased in all shapes and sizes, and I became interested in maybe trying to make a pickup out of them myself, but I have never made a pickup and found the prospect too overwhelming so I forgot about it.

Then I was browsing for tabs and came across an ad for these pickups with neodymium magnets and was instantly drawn to them. I've read the reviews and am just itching to try them out, and even considered buying a red Jaguar to put the clear ones in until I found out about blue wire, which made me wonder if they could be made with that instead.

I hope they find a way. :)

Edit: Here's a cool fact according to Wikipedia.

quote:

Neodymium is used in the strongest permanent magnets known - Nd2Fe14B. These magnets are cheaper, lighter, and stronger than samarium-cobalt magnets. Neodymium magnets appear in high-quality products such as microphones, professional loudspeakers, in-ear headphones, Dokodemo Magnets, guitar and bass guitar pick-ups and computer hard disks where low mass, small volume, or strong magnetic fields are required.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
I bought a broken Samarium Cobalt bridge pickup for Telecaster for $12 on eBay.

I'm gonna try to fix it, and then compare it to...

...which I also just bought on eBay. Actually, I bought two SD Stacks, but when the first guy went to pack it and send it to me, it fell on the floor and broke, so I got my money refunded and bought this one for cheaper.

I also finally bought:

• Mustang bridge for my Jaguar that LOOKED like it had no spaces between the saddles, like the vintage models, but I guess we'll see when it gets here.
  • Jaguar tremolo arm bushing for USA trem arms... supposedly they fit Japanese tremolos too, and if they do, I'll be glad (but I'll also have to get a new trem arm.)
  • 18' of cloth wire to rewire the hell out of my guitars.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

Alfa Tard posted:

True enough. I wonder why that is? Ever try to price out a full rosewood neck at Warmoth.com? Big $$$.

Rosewood, iirc, was cut to extinction in Brazil. There are still stocks out there, but the price isn't cheap, and I think other forms of rosewood grow in other countries but it still can't output the quantity that Brazil had until it was gone.

Chows posted:

Anyway, it looks like it's just missing one of the ground wires, eh? Should be a pretty easy fix and $12 is a hell of a deal.

That's what I thought... could be wrong though.

XYZAB fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Oct 4, 2007

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

Synonamess Botch posted:

Just walked home with this one yesterday. I haven't had a guitar since my former bandmate stole my Telecaster. I knew I couldn't get anything other than a Fender after owning that one, and I figured I might as well go all the way this time.

Well I'm jealous. I was considering trading my CIJ Jag for an AVRI after playing one at the Virgin guitar shop in London, the mute is soooo awesome. :(

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
eBay kicks rear end.

Seymour Duncan SH-3 Stag Mag - $47

Unknown 80's Dimarzio Chrome Strat pickup - $30

The Stag Mag is going in the bridge of my Squier '51 and the Dimarzio is going in the neck. I don't like how the '07 USA Fender Strat neck pickup sounds in there so I thought I'd go for some sort of hotrails, but a chrome dimarzio pickup for only $30 is too great of a deal to pass up.

Also, is this the right kind of concentric stack pot I'll need to get volume/tone controls? There aren't any ridges on the posts which makes it hard for me to imagine how the knobs fit and stay on...

Basically I wanna take out the stock controls in my Squier (A push/pull for coiltap and volume and a rotary switch for pickup selection) and add the stack pot for volume/tone control, add a three-way Gibson style switch for pickup selection, a two way switch for coil-tap and another two way switch for phase switch. That way, I can control which of the coils in the stag mag will be active when I tap it.

But I don't know poo poo all about how to wire these knobs and switches. Is there a resource online or at a bookstore that teaches me what the different connections of a potentiometer and the various switches do?

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

Chows posted:

They use set screws rather than the more common ridged shaft design. That pot looks like it ought to do fine. Make sure it's audio taper or your volume control will feel wonky.

Here is a nice, simple explanation of how volume and tone controls work, and here is one with some good information on switches. Seymour Duncan has a lot of wiring diagrams for various configurations, but they don't explain WHY they work.

Read up a little and if you still need some help I'm sure we'll be glad to assist.

Awesome, thanks! :D

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

Handen posted:

So instead, I bought this.

<<Click Picture for Details>>

Well, this came in the mail today. 15 minutes later my amp blew up, a vintage late 60's/early 70's Ampeg VT-22 with all original tubes. Man am I ever pissed. I might have to sell the pedal in order to replace whatever's broken! :argh:

Lose/lose situation? Yes. The pedal didn't really even sound too great.

edited for wordliness. :eng101:

XYZAB fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Oct 11, 2007

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

Dr. Klas posted:

What happened? Did the pedal cause this?

I think it had something to do with the amount of low-frequency oscillation I'd set the pedal too, combined with the fact that I had it turned up loud enough to vibrate books off my shelf, I'm thinking the tubes couldn't handle the high-energy pulsations or something to that effect.

Now that I think about it, I remember playing guitar with the lights off one day and noticing how the wall behind the amp grew brighter with every hard, chunky, sustained note or chord. I'm thinking the pedal pushed the tubes to their breaking point. :\

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
I had a crazy idea at work today so I bought the parts to another Squier '51 on eBay.

First I just wanted a new neck for my Fender Telecaster, and knew that a Squier '51 neck is the best deal, and I found this awesome figured maple neck for like $80. Can't go wrong there.

I'll probably put it on the blonde '51 I have now, and put the neck on my blonde one onto this body I also purchased.

Now I can finally split up the multitude of ideas I'd had for my Blonde '51 into this one.

But now I'm back where I started, shopping for a new neck for my Tele. And I don't even want to think about how much it's going to cost to repair my amp yet. What the hell is wrong with me?

XYZAB fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Oct 13, 2007

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
I managed to find one Gibson Reverse Flying V in my city, right after calling it quits and purchasing an expensive boutique pedal and another Squier '51... Looks like someone's gonna be broke and working full overtime for the next month!

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
So I got that broken $12 Fender Samarium Cobalt Tele bridge pickup in the mail, and it doesn't seem to be broken at all, just missing a lead wire. It reads 12.85k on the multimeter, but I can't find how much it's supposed to be just to verify it. Can anybody point me in the right direction as to the resistance it's supposed to be? eBay yeilds nothing so far.

Edit: Found it. 13.8k, so I suppose it's close enough to be considered a functional pickup, right?

Edit 2: I also got that ancient single-coil sized chrome Dimarzio in the mail, but I can't figure out how to read the resistance. The wires are black/white/green/bare and I've tried doubling some of them up to boost resistance levels but the max it's read is 3.38k, a lot lower than I've been expecting. Which wires am I supposed to group together and test with?

XYZAB fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Oct 21, 2007

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

Chows posted:

Connect white to red, measure green to black.

I always appreciate your advice, Chows. :)

However, there is no red wire. :(

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

Chows posted:

WHOOPS sorry I ran off and looked up the standard DiMarzio color code and missed that in my haste :shobon:

It looks like all of DiMarzio's current hum-cancelling Strat pups use the standard four-conductor wiring. Is it possible you're missing a lead like on the SCN pickup?

I don't think that'd be the case... I know how standard humbucker wiring is normally some sort of 4-conductor + bare configuration inside of another shielded outer tube like this stuff...

...But I've trimmed it down about 2cm to create fresh wire contact points and it seems like it's only a 3-conductor + bare configuration inside of a shielded outer tube. It doesnt seem like it's the case that a red wire would have been pulled all the way out, as the whole lead itself is probably a good and tight 6".

:confused:

Chows posted:

edit: 3.4k sounds about right for one coil of the vintage lines so I'm guessing that's what's happened.

I'm not exactly sure what model the pickup is per-se, but I'm not so sure it's one of the virtual vintage models, as it's got 6 hex-adjustable polepieces like a Super Distortion or Super II, and a non-removable chrome cover.

XYZAB fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Oct 21, 2007

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

the wizards beard posted:

I think it's about time we had another big pickup megathread.

Do you want to start it? Because I've been thinking the same thing...

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
A while ago my uncle and I had gotten to talking about guitars and amps and stuff at a family get-together, and he mentions he can no longer use his tube amp setup in his apartment because it's too big and too loud, and that he'd like it if I took it home with me. :wth:

He tells me he's got a 100w Peavey Rock Master tube head, and what he says is an old 70's home-built Marshall cabinet with standard Marshall speakers. I, of course, am shocked, and we make arrangements to meet up and jam and for me to take his amp home. Well that was months ago, and just today we finally got together and he let me take it home. And wouldn't ya know it...

It's got four 12" vintage Celestion Greenbacks in there! :wth: x

This is the only one with the Celestion label readily apparent, as the others have a circular Marshall label overtop of them in various stages of peeling off, with the Celestion label visible underneath. Is there any way to date these speakers? Ever since I read about Billy Gibbons using them from very early on in ZZ Top, I've been lusting after even just one in a tiny little amp, but this... this is fantastic. A very nice addition to my out-of-commission Ampeg VT-22.

Here's the rig -

Edit: It seems the Celestions might be some rare 1966 models, "T1220, G12M, 102 003."

XYZAB fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Oct 27, 2007

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

Engine Fortegue posted:

Beautiful guitars! I've always been curious as to what the little black switches are for on jazzmasters

On the top horn? There's only one switch, when up it controls the neck pickup alongside two roller knobs beside it for volume and tone. when the switch is down it controls the 3-way switch on the bottom horn for pickup selection, and the volume/tone knobs below the bridge.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

Minto Took posted:

I was referring to the thickness of the body as it seems skinnier than usual.

It's just pictured at an angle.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

Bobulot posted:

Can you pleasssse post more pictures of it? It's like that cardboard guitar from the video for Breaking The Law came to life after 27 years.

Yeah, I'll post them tomorrow. Also, is there such a thing as new guitar smell? Because this thing smells like play-doh.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

kahm posted:

I idolize your guitar collection, I just want you to know that. I'd do anything to get one of those bluish GIS Jaguar reissues.

There's a modified light blue JGS-75 on eBay right now. :)

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

mik posted:

Since this is sort of a guitar-buying thread, I'll throw this in here: Where are some good shops for guitars in London (preferably in Zone 1) - I have no idea how to weed out the lists of stores I find online, and there seems to be a distinct lack of websites associated with them. I'm not looking for anything over the top, I just need an acoustic to last me about 12 months while I'm in the UK - new or used.

I don't know anything about zones, but as a tourist one of the first places I went in London was Denmark Street to see the guitar shops. You should check it out.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

Fanny Pack Kiosk posted:

The two teles on the left - are the pickups stock? I have an HS Cyclone that's getting new pickups and I'm looking for ideas.

Those are Squier '51s, the yellow one has a 2007 USA Standard Strat neck pup and a Seymour Duncan SH-3 Stag Mag (not pictured) in the bridge. The black one has a stock bridge pup and some unknown chrome Dimarzio single coil with a PAF sticker on the back in the neck pos. I'm still out on what I wanna do with the bridge pickup on the black one, but I was thinking of maybe going with active pickups for both positions or just a Lace Alumitone pickup because those look sweet and I'm curious to see how they sound. Y'see, I just like messing around with lots of pickups until I find a great sound, then I leave it.

Here's a picture of the alumitone, which has no wires and is made of, you guessed it, aluminum...

If you're looking for a really vintage sounding combination, get some sort of Strat neck pup and the SH-3 (but make sure you have a coiltap switch!) It sounds heavenly. As for heavier stuff, I put a new Dimarzio Super II in the bridge and it sounded like poo poo. Take this as you will.

WET BUTT posted:

Awe I'm jealous. Boutique pedals rule. Where are the soundclips?!

XYZAB fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Nov 16, 2007

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

FlossMan posted:

They sound like really clear vintage pickups. You won't regret getting a set of those. Although mine plays a bit odd with my fuzz, because the pickup itself is low impedance.

Yeah I was wondering about that, it says the impedance is something like 2.5k, which is ridiculously low. Out of curiousity, what kind did you get? The humbucker model or the single coil, and what type of guitar are they in?

Edit: I've been looking for really clean pickups, and it's between the Alumitone, or a Q-Tuner neodymium magnet humbucker, though somehow I'll probably end up with both eventually.

XYZAB fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Nov 16, 2007

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
I just bought these:

The incredibly hard to find Moogerfooger EP-2 Expression Pedal for my LAL Cyber Psychic.

A bakelite Esquire pickguard. I have no use for a neck pickup in half my guitars, and it turns out a Telecaster without a neck pickup is actually a valid option! I might do this with my Jaguar later on.

Now I'm trying to find a good deal on some NOS caps for the Esquire mod...

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

el Trentoro posted:

Anyone familiar with these? I need a good solid workhorse bass, I've wasted so much money on fancy-looking-but-fragile-and-lovely instruments, and the Jaguar is SO drat SEXY...

I dunno, check this out... http://youtube.com/watch?v=qpq2uKJdGJs

I'm interested in Jag basses, but then again I don't play bass.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

Swollen Member posted:

I'm done buying guitars. The neck smells like the rainforest and I love it.

Heh heh I know who else posts at harmony central. ;)

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

GHOST OF TAE-BO posted:

I just got one of these off ebay :awesomelon::sotw:

http://www.frostwave.com/blueringerv2/

I haven't figured out all the subtleties yet, but it's definitely easy to produce tons of robot factory noise and make the sounds change colors by twisting on all those knobs :rudebox:

Hmmm... interesting, I've been interested in a Lovetone Ring Stinger for a while now, but they're nearly $1k, how much did this set you back?

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
Does anybody know of an online resource with in-depth neck pocket measurements for Fender Jazzmasters and Stratocasters? I wanna build a Strat with a JM neck, but want to make sure it's going to work before I go all out and start buying parts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
And I suppose a CIJ JM neck would fit onto an American Highway One Strat body?