Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Walter
Jul 3, 2003

We think they're great. In a grand, mystical, neopolitical sense, these guys have a real message in their music. They don't, however, have neat names like me and Bono.
I was looking through the thread of the decade and saw fwoomph's really nice looking upcoming mandolin, and it made me want to see what everyone else was looking at/considering/watching the mailbox for.

Post pictures of either the instrument/gear you're getting next, or what you just got!

To start...

This is basically exactly the same as the electric 5-string mandolin I'm having built by Jon Mann, out of Nashville (this is one of his). Mine will have a lighter finish, closer to the very light, vintage natural finish that PRS uses. Kent Armstrong pickups, push/pull knob for coil tapping.

Your turn.

edit: I can't believe this post is still going, literally 15 years later!

edit: Now 18 years later. This post will probably outlive me at this rate.

Walter fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Mar 25, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Walter
Jul 3, 2003

We think they're great. In a grand, mystical, neopolitical sense, these guys have a real message in their music. They don't, however, have neat names like me and Bono.
EDIT: Nevermind, question was answered.

Walter fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Dec 7, 2011

Walter
Jul 3, 2003

Nick Freedom posted:

Mine didn't come with the footswitch, though. But I also paid $100 less than the Ebay auction went for.

How do those sound? I was thinking about a Fender or Rivera, but the Sunns seem to get good reviews, and have a loyal (if relatively small) following.

I also noticed they're relatively inexpensive.

Don't suppose you've got a clip, do you?

Walter
Jul 3, 2003

wassail yall posted:

Well, technically I bought it (with my ebay account and paypal) but it's my roommate's money...

upgraded with a Celestion speaker and a volume box so he can play it with the tubes heated at a lower volume while practicing at home.

Just bought one of these myself, today. I took my e-mandolin with me and tried it and a Deville out, and preferred this, at least partly for the weight. If I need more sound, I have a second amplifer cabinet with 2 Vintage 30s I can plug in. If I actually need more sound, that is. This amp is incredibly loud, and just now I cranked it up (on the clean channel) and got the best overdriven distorted sound I've ever gotten on an amplifier.

They're not the most expensive out there, but I really like this thing's tone.

Walter fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Dec 10, 2006

Walter
Jul 3, 2003

fwoompf posted:

Not long now (ships friday; should get it mon or tues)

Nice!

I don't remember - did you mention who you had building this for you?

Walter
Jul 3, 2003

Sixfools posted:

That's probably the reason I lurk there more then I post (under Rayburn). I've found it be a great resource for information about various topics even if things get really heated there because of everyone is very passionate of their views there. I find they tend to crack down on pretty tame things as well which makes me afraid to post sometimes.

Oddly enough, I just saw some of your posts in the "guilty pleasures" thread under "Rock, etc."

I spend more time in the electric 4 & 5 string section than anywhere else. And I agree with you, the politics, attitudes, and general atmosphere is much older over there.

Still, there're some decent folks posting. And a whole shitload of builders, in case you need to ask a question about something.

Walter
Jul 3, 2003

Alman posted:

Upgraded from my first amp, a Behringer V-Tone GMX212 Combo amp

Christ, Behringer doesn't pull any punches, do they? That thing's a drat close doppelganger (visuals-wise) of the Roland JC-120.

Walter
Jul 3, 2003

Noise Machine posted:

I'm lazy, but I just got a DD-20 Gigadelay.

23 seconds of looping feedback textures never sounded so AWESOME or sprawling.

I played through one of those the other day. If it wasn't for the fact that I pretty much know I wouldn't use anything but the modulated delay function, I'd buy one in a heartbeat.

The one I saw was cheaper than the EHMMD - pricetag said $179.

Walter
Jul 3, 2003

Getting one of these in a couple days (I think, if things work out right).

It's a Roland SDE 2500 delay/modulation unit. I've already got an SDE1000, but it's not MIDI controllable, and I want to be able to run everything from my floorboard.

So, I'm picking up the 2500, as well as this:

The Axess Electronics guitar router/switcher. I plan on running my Ground Control into the MIDI-thru connection of this, and out to my A3 and the Roland, which will be on separate loops, so I can route to one or the other, or both.

Walter
Jul 3, 2003

Edit: nm.

Walter fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Jan 24, 2007

Walter
Jul 3, 2003

Mr JinX posted:

Picked this up last night-

first tube amp...I am still in shock over the difference

What'd that run you? I've actually heard pretty good things about the Epiphone valve amps. Although it's usually preceeded (or followed) by "for the money," is it decent at bedroom volumes? I'm looking at possibly having to move into an apt. complex, and I want something valve that I can play at decent volume and not lose tone.

I was recently living in a hotel during an away-from-home project, and I had my Hot Rod Deluxe with me. I couldn't even crank the thing up far enough that I could get a consistent tone out of it (think playing your guitar with the volume turned 90% down). It was incredibly frustrating and I want to avoid that again if I can.

Walter
Jul 3, 2003

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I've already started to learn basic chords. G is 0023 (and easily movable with a bar), C is 0230 (again, bar it!), Em is 0223 (I bet you can bar that!) and F is 233(5) (bar that sumbitch!), D is 2002 (hey, I wonder if a bar works there!), and D7 is 2032 (not so much with the bar!)

Is that a Flatiron?

You can bar, it's true. But you can also do 4-finger chords (non-barred) that work better for some things.

For some of those chords, try these fingerings, too:
code:
 G   C   D   A   F
-3---0---2---5---1-----
-2---3---5---4---0-----
-5---2---4---2---3-----
-7---5---7---2---5-----

quote:

Any other mandolin nerds around?

I direct your attention my first post of the thread (also the OP), in which I posted a picture of an electric 5-string mandolin, the same model of which is currently being made for me.

So, no.

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

A and F are upside down relative to the other three chords, but sweet, thank you! I'll bug you for mandolin tips, heh. :)

Aaaand... fixed. Sorry, not used to looking at mandolin tablature (yeah, I'm a notation snob).

Walter fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Feb 1, 2007

Walter
Jul 3, 2003

Was the intended purchase a VC30, or is that a different Laney model? I've heard those have a great AC30 tone.

Walter
Jul 3, 2003

In my OP, I posted a photo of an electric 5-string similar to the one I had ordered from a fellow in Nashville, TN.

Yesterday, he sent me a couple of progress shots. Said it should be ready in a couple weeks.

Walter
Jul 3, 2003

Uncle Caveman posted:

In a depressing twist of fate - some ebayer's latest gear purchase:

Sorry to see you have to sell those. That Firebird looks pretty sweet.

I'm glad, though, that you were able to sell them to help you get through tough times. Stuff, even instruments, is only stuff.

If selling it can help you through your life, then it's a good thing.

Walter
Jul 3, 2003

Another in the line of progress photos on my 5-string electric mandolin. She'll be done and shipped by Friday.

Hardware's gold, which normally I would be against, but which will go well with the color scheme.

(Fretboard's still covered from the clearcoat application - it's ebony, not some weird white wood.)

Walter
Jul 3, 2003

Finally finished, shipped, and received. This is the mandolin that I started this entire thread because of, back in November or December.

5-string electric, Kent Armstrong humbuckers, push-pull pot for coil-tapping.

I just plugged in and played Larry Carlton's Kid Charlemagne solo (one of my favorites ever) and this thing is awesome. Nice clean, warm tone when not overdriven (something that's hard to achieve with an electric mandolin), and good and dirty when I put it through my SD-1.

It's the one on the right. The middle is my other e-mando, and the guitar on the left is for scale.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Walter
Jul 3, 2003

warwick5s posted:

That looks absolutely incredible.

Thanks! I'm pretty psyched about it. I was a little hesitant about the gold hardware, but I think it ended up working out pretty well.

The action on it is sick. I was just doing Eruption a little while ago, and it's amazingly responsive. Can't wait to get it onstage.

FFT posted:

My Keystation 88 Pro just got here, and it's a little bit bigger than I was expecting:

(That's a queen sized bed)

It's so bloody heavy :gonk:

And to top it off the stand I got for it didn't come with the bolts to put it together, so for now it's going to have to chill on the bed because I've got nowhere else to put it :(

Is that a new piece of equipment (in the sense of, made recently)? I thought they were building fairly lightweight (but sturdy, high-quality) 88-key synths these days.

Either way, that thing looks like a loving boat anchor. A cool boat anchor, but I wouldn't want to be you, lugging it around.

Walter
Jul 3, 2003

FFT posted:

It's just a midi controller with a fuckload of controls, actually. Keystations don't have any synth capabilities. Which just makes its weight weirder, really. It's got a great key action, though.

Weighted keys, I presume?

drat, I wish I knew how to play keys. One of my big regrets...

Walter
Jul 3, 2003

Boner Slam posted:

I am not sure if you know what you use this kind of keyboard for.
You want to simulate the key action of a real piano with weight, graded action, response from the "string" and everything.

Synths often have really cheap and sucky keyboard keys. It's fine for playing an accord at a time, but not piano.

No, I know that the good synths/keyboards these days are intended to mimic in every way the response of the keys of a real piano. My post was intended to show interest and enthusiasm, not to express a lack of knowledge or contradict the poster. Go back and read it again.

FFT mentioned that it was "so bloody heavy," to which I agreed that it looked that way. I also assumed (as I mentioned farther down) that it was set up with weighted keys and the like.

And, uh, what else would I think this keyboard would be used for but, you know, playing piano/keyboard parts? I wasn't under the impression that it was intended as a keytar, if that's what you're getting at.

Walter
Jul 3, 2003

SeventySeven posted:

My new Epi G-400 SG (cat not so new). It's not much, but it's mine, y'know?

That's a nice lookin' SG.

I was wondering about the cat, though - looks leopard-spotted. What's going on there?

Walter
Jul 3, 2003

vac posted:

G&L F-100 Series II. Very cool.

Is that stock? It's cool regardless, but that control plate looks a little odd (looks like part of a Jazz Bass). I especially like the subtle difference in the headstock from the Strat. Nice that they got as close as they did to it.

I loves me some G&L - second guitar I ever owned (still have it) is a mid-90s ASAT Classic.

Walter
Jul 3, 2003

bisticles posted:

Well hello there

It's so dirty.

I don't have many pedals - went with a rack setup - but I have one of these, and man is that thing ever gritty.

82Daion posted:

Should arrive within the next month or so. It's a 1975 Alembic Series I, owned in a past life by fusion trumpeter Donald Byrd.

That thing's gorgeous. Alembics aren't my favorite basses in the world - they seem too much like fine art, I find myself feeling like I shouldn't play them.

My little brother has one, though, and they're just kick rear end. I've played it a few times, and simply have not figured out why he seems to prefer his Ken Smith fretless to it.

Walter fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Jun 7, 2007

Walter
Jul 3, 2003

Agrikk posted:

My last birthday present to myself:

A Ampeg B-2RE head and B-410HE cab:

I got tired of having to be the guy who cranks his poo poo to compete with the others while we rehearse so I plonked down the cash for this. God I love this setup.

If you don't mind my asking, what did that head run you? My brother is looking to replace his decent, but beaten to hell and well-used, Gallien Krueger combo with something a little easier to transport (at least, lighter in pieces) and higher quality. He's mentioned a few times that he'd like to try a head/cab arrangement, which I think is a good idea, having carried that loving combo a few times for him.

If it helps (in terms of response, etc.) he usually plays either a Ken Smith fretless or an Alembic Essence 4, and tends to favor a fair amount of treble and mid (to the point of borrowing his girlfriend's guitar amplifier lately) in his tone.

Walter fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Jun 12, 2007

Walter
Jul 3, 2003

dancehall posted:

pedalboard from NYC Pedalboards. Hooray for convenience!

Nice pedalboard. I was wondering about your Sansamp, though. My brother got one of those not too long ago and has yet to really use it. Do you tend to use yours more for the overdrive capabilities, or mostly just for the DI?

I've been trying to get him to use it a little bit more - he likes a lot of treble in his mix, but with a fretless it can be a bit harder to get the clean tones - but he seems unwilling to take it gigging.

Walter
Jul 3, 2003

Just got it off Ebay this afternoon. I've been after one of these for quite a while, but they were never quite what I wanted. They used a couple different bridges, and I preferred the stop tailpiece/tune-o-matic style bridge to the Stratocaster-style some of them have.

Then I found this one last night online.

19" scale, I may restring it like an octave mandolin, or keep it tuned to guitar standard. Either way, now all I need is a huge amp in an eccentric inventor's laboratory and I'm set.

Walter
Jul 3, 2003

Bartillier posted:

this will be my fifth guitar amp :) And i think also the final one :)

I bought one of these as a general purpose amp - electric guitar, electric mandolin, sometimes amplified acoustic mandolin - and it handles the wide range of tines well. Not to mention that it's got that chunky sound that I really needed to get a good sound for the electric mando.

I think mine is somewhere back in the first few pages of the thread.

You'll enjoy it.

Walter
Jul 3, 2003

Just got one of these. Going for that Andy Summers sound, and this one does it pretty well. Aside from a Tubescreamer and an OD-2, my pedalboard is pretty much complete.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Walter
Jul 3, 2003

Finally picked up one of the TS9 series. The DXs are supposed to have a bit higher gain in the low end, which (considering the register of my e-mandos), is perfect for me. Sorry for the stock photo. I got mine used and it's not arrived yet.

I may go with some mods at some point, but I'm going to try with nothing but stock to start. I'm mostly after the smooth boost over heavy crunch, anyway, and these are apparently terrific for that.

Walter
Jul 3, 2003

DrChu posted:

oic

Out of curiosity, how much did those hooks run you? I've got a $50 card for GC, and I've been meaning to do what you've done for some time.

I'm not opposed to going over the card amount - I've got six or seven instruments I'd like to hang up - but I've been trying to get hooks that are actually okay for the instrument, and are still reasonably priced.

Walter
Jul 3, 2003

Carbohydrates posted:

With a black guard and ebony board, that thing's going to be beautiful! Warmoth's stuff is pricey, but there's a reason, I guess.

I'm still in the process of working on a parts guitar, the body and neck of which I bought a number of years ago. Strat shaped, the neck's a maple fretboard.

I still have to buy one more pickup and a set of tuners, and I should be able to put the thing together. I've been really lagging behind, but maybe it's time to go get those last couple things so I can finally build my strat.

Walter
Jul 3, 2003

The great thing about Mandolin Cafe is the fact that a lot of builders post there, and people who visit a lot, and have the right tools and experience, frequently get around to learning to build instruments themselves.

This leads to a lot of relatively new builders setting up show and building instruments as a side-job. In turn, that can make Mandolin Cafe an excellent place to find new builders who are not yet ridiculously priced, even for custom instruments, and reviews of new builders from people who have purchased instruments from them.

My previous gear acquisition, the order for which started this thread, was made in this way. And I'm preparing to pull the trigger on another custom order.

The fellow began building about a year or more ago, and has made a number of instruments, some of which I thought looked like rear end, but since he started making them to sell, he's really branched out and come up with some great designs.

This is his newest offering...

Although what you're seeing there is an electric mandolin, what I'm going to have him build for me is actually a baritone 4- or 5-string mandolin version of this, tuned GDAEB. Imagine the neck about 4.5" longer than this one, but otherwise identical (except for the stereo jack he's got installed beside the mono).

Now come the months of waiting and saving...

Grumio posted:

Charangos are carved from a single piece of wood (usually Jacaranda or Naranjillo, with other woods in the really high-end models. That being said, the "original" charangos use a hollowed-out Armadillo as their sound box :(

I was looking for one of these on my last trip down to Mexico. Somehow I missed the part where they were Bolivian instruments.

I knew a couple guys who played these when I was back at FSU. After reading about how armadillos carry Hansen's Disease (a.k.a. leprosy) I was a little more standoffish to the instruments, even though I'm sure that I was just being a pussy.

Walter
Jul 3, 2003

AstroZamboni posted:

When it arrives, I will pay you $1,000,000 dollars to have sex with your mandolin.* That thing is seriously beautiful. What's it setting you back? And just WHAT THE HECK are ALL THOSE BLOODY KNOBS FOR?

Only thing holding me back is the waiting period. I'm waiting to hear from him so that we can work out the basics, but I'm just waiting for the go ahead and I'm going to send him the deposit. It's about a 6 month wait.

And for that particular instrument, there're extra knobs because he installed a stereo jack as well as a mono, and so there's (I think) a knob to blend the two, and a knob to control just the stereo jack.

Walter
Jul 3, 2003

Dr.Mosh posted:

My wife got me one of these for my bday!

Holy poo poo! There are serious U2-type gearheads who claim that thing will do anything and everything the Edge's massive live rig will do, and then some.

Your wife's cool and $2000 lighter, those fuckers ain't cheap!

Walter
Jul 3, 2003

Handen posted:

My Esquire needs a new neck. Turns out I hate maple boards so I'm selling the one it had to buy something with rosewood.

Well, I like the image filename, anyway. I was going to ask what would compel someone to want to play an instrument that looked like it had survived a housefire, though.

Walter
Jul 3, 2003

Okay, so I've stayed the hell out of this thread for a long time, because I've had basically no money to spend on instruments. Posting "look at these new strings I got" seems a little pathetic.

But I'm seriously considering picking up a used MiM Strat (S-S-S) if I can find one. Problem is, I really have no idea what a good used price for these is. I've done a lot of looking on CL in my area, and they seem a bit overpriced - running $350-400, most of the time. Is that reasonable at all? A new one runs around $450, from what I can tell.

Am I being unreasonable looking at not wanting to pay more than $300 for a used, standard MiM?

Etheldreda posted:

I decided it was past time for a mandolin upgrade.

it's so pretty.

drat right it is.

Walter
Jul 3, 2003

Man, it's been a long time since I could post anything in here. Consequence of being a grad student with no money, I guess.

But I just ordered one of these (used, they're out of production). Line 6 Variax 700 acoustic.

I figure if it sucks, I'll just sell it. They look to be holding their used value pretty well, lately.

Anybody have any experience playing these? I've seen and heard really good things about them.

Walter
Jul 3, 2003

Couldn't resist. I went to buy strings, played this for a while, and it wanted to go home with me.

American Special Stratocaster, 2009. The big headstock sold me on it. I love those...

Walter
Jul 3, 2003

Noise Machine posted:

I like that you're still using the Super Chorus. Are you still using the settings I gave you a while ago?

Man, that is one hell of a memory you've got.

I have them written down somewhere from before, but you know, if you're so disposed, I wouldn't mind getting them again straight from your mouth.

As to the pedals...

I haven't really bought much new in the way of pedals (or changed much in terms of setup) since last time I posted anything. I like the sound of these, particularly the Super Chorus. I'm starting to get a little tired of the Echo Park, but I can still make it do what I want. And I've finally found settings on the Little Big Muff that I like without it sounding like complete noise.

I just need to finally build or buy a decent pedalboard with power. Powering these things from my TU-2 introduces way more noise than I like into the mix.

Just an aside: You know what's hilarious? I think I play more through that little Rickenbacker practice amp (left side, on top of the Hot Rod Deluxe) than almost anything else, and I found it sitting beside a dumpster in my hometown a few years ago. It's surprisingly versatile, and if it made just a little more noise, I'd use it even more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Walter
Jul 3, 2003

Cpt. Spring Types posted:

I want one of those so badly. Someday...