Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!
I just bought a PodXT and I'm waiting for it to arrive.

I've heard lots of great things, I just hope the learning curve isn't as steep as some people make it out to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!
Any heavily important tips that I might want to keep in mind while fiddling around, or is it all just mess around and play with it? I'll have most of tomorrow to try it out, provided it doesn't arrive too late during the day.

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!
I should be getting one of these two soon enough, I just need to decide on which one! :)

Schecter C-1 Hellraiser:

ESP LTD V-500:

Edit: I've heard some bad things about LTD. Can anyone clarify the issue and tell me if it is worth worrying about?

reversefungi fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Apr 29, 2007

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!
Well then, just got my Hellraiser, and I have to say this thing is a beauty and a beast. It actually made the cleans on my 5150 combo sound... nice? The distortion just got a completely new sound, and everything sounds so much better and stronger and warmer and blah blah blah, etc.

The guitar plays wonderfully, the tuners are awesome, and I couldn't be happier with this purchase. My only very minor gripe is that it takes a bit of re-adjusting to get the palm-muting right on this guitar.

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!

emilbus posted:

So much fun mashing as many effects as quickly as possible, glitching up everything.

Is that complicated at all to set up and start using? It looks unbelievably fun to just play around with.

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!
Hey guys, I might be buying an electronic drum set soon. Anyone know of any good electronic drum sets that do metal well? I'm not afraid to dig deep into the wallet, as long as it isn't ungodly exorbitant (like over 2k-3k).

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!

El Bi Ranchero posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roland_V-Drums

these feel as real as any electronic drumset but you still get that triggered double bass sound that they use in metal (along with various other drum sounds). If I'm not mistaken you can also load your own samples and use them as triggers.

Can you link any specific models you'd recommend on a website like, say, musiciansfriend.com? Or are all of them more or less good and reliable?

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!

El Bi Ranchero posted:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Roland-TD6SXT-VTOUR-Series-Electronic-Drum-Set?sku=449888

its expensive and there are models that range are less expensive on the site but this has the same rating as the 6k dollar model so..

Thanks! Also, how would I go about setting up another bass drum?

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!

Ocular posted:

Schecter Hellraiser C-1

Definitely get this. I own one and it is an absolutely beast, but a beauty to play. I've heard some rather iffy things about the construction builds on some LTD's, you gotta play the exact one you might by, for some aren't made too well. Schecter Hellraisers, on the other hand, seem to be always consistent in their quality.

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!

Merkin Muffley posted:

While we're all talking about the Spider III amps, does anyone here have any experience with the 120 or 150? I've been eyeballing them for awhile for a gigging amp so I can stop borrowing my roommates all the drat time. Are all the artist presets on them any good or are they just some bullshit gimmick? The clips on the website sound pretty decent, but streaming clips off the makers website isn't quite the same as hearing it in person... If it does actually suck, does anyone have some recommendations for a relatively versatile combo in the same price range? I have no qualms about buying used if thats the case.

I've rarely heard anything good about the Spider amps, personally. I've heard that for solid states, they don't do really that much and can sound really, really solid-state-ish. I personally haven't tried the Spiders, and I definitely would encourage you to at least try playing one before you go and buy it, as it seems most people are content with the amp for all of a few days before realizing how horrible it sounds or something. Now, I've heard nothing but good praise for Roland Cubes and Vox's Valvetronix series, and that is usually along the same price range. I personally have a AD30VT and for the price, it does its job VERY well. Definitely try taking a look at those, the larger versions might be able to hold you over for gigging.

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!

Should be mine hopefully by Friday. Lots of things changed, and now this puppy will be mine soon!

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!

plester1 posted:

I am so loving jealous. How much did that run you?

It will run me about 3k, but I'm going to see if I can haggle for a bit lower. Either way, it will be loving awesome, although I might need an attenuator sometime, probably the THD Hotplate.

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!

Oprah Moment posted:

Parker Nitefly: $899 :)

Oh man, I've always wanted a Parker. How does it play? How are the pickups? What is the, well, "heaviest" it can go?

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!

Finally got around to start playing bass. So far this thing is drat fun, fits my hand a lot better, and is just in general a lot more interesting to play along to songs with. I think I might pick up a Brice 5 string in the near future if I get truly good enough.

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!
Jesus, where the hell did you get the money for all of those in one week? Also, the color on the Les Paul is, well, absolutely orgasmic. How much did this all run you, anyways?

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!
Does GFS make 7 string pickups at all?

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!
Unless you are 100% sure you like MGs, don't get one. Most people I know hate their MGs, and I personally played one and hated it. You should look at the Roland Cube or Vox Valvetronix, those are significantly better.

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!
I heard the production quality on B.C. Richs these days is usually below average. Any truth to that? I've never really had a chance to play one, but they definitely make some pretty cool shapes.

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!
Just got myself one of these babies.

There is a retarded amount of fret buzz though, mainly on the E string, so I'm planning on changing to thicker strings and possibly getting this thing set up. I need a new amp too...

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!

Steiler Drep posted:

Today I tried the Les Pauls, all of them (from Explorer to Gibson)

Wait, what?

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!

al sharptons hair posted:

Oh hey there cheap amp from ebay (click for big):

Note: This is not being used for emo or metalcore. I look terrible with mascara and girl pants.

I noticed you got the block letter 5150 which is supposedly better. Have you played any other 5150s before to notice a difference?

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!

Catastrophe posted:

This may be cheating since it isn't the LAST thing I purchased but it is a recent purchase..

You may never see one of these again. If you don't know the story of Matamp you may want to read this story. From what I'm told, only 21 Matamp Roadsters made it to the USA and most of those were combo versions of the amp instead of these head versions. All hand-made from start to finish, 120W, single channel, EL34 based. It's kind of a higher gain version of the Matamp GTL you hear on.. well, pretty much every stoner/doom metal album ever. The only other one I've ever seen for sale was the one the guitarist from Electric Wizard sold recently. Anyway:

Oh god that thing is amazing. Please post clips when you can

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!

wilkenm posted:

VHT Deliverance 120... it's LOUD.

Ah, great choice. I used to own one, and it was loving fantastic. However, the whole one-channel / no effects loop thing bothered me quite a bit so I ended up returning it. Eitherway, hope you enjoy it as much as I did, that high gain sound is a beast.

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!

West Ham Sandwich posted:

Reading some of his bass lines is mindblowing. He's got to be one of the most original metal bassists with what he does, it just grooves but at the same time it's so technical. I can't wait for someone I know to get the guitar one so we can work on the songs together.

I got to actually meet and talk with the bassist yesterday at the Progressive Nation show. What a cool guy, too. :)

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!
I've got the same pair of Grados as shown above. They sound loving amazing. The only annoying thing is that sometimes a few pieces come loose so you gotta do a bit of messing around to keep them from falling around. Other than that they are great pieces of equipment.

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!

attack plan r posted:

(Against a busy background but it was the only place the sun was coming in)

Awesome little guitar. It's light, comfortable, and the neck feels great.

:swoon:

Parkers make my dream guitars. Although some don't like the look, I think they're loving gorgeous. How much did that baby end up costing?

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!

Jimix posted:

:lol:

SlipknotTal's covers aren't quite the step above we were expecting... He's got a Dean too!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgcxvPTje9w

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!

So I just got my Yamaha DD-65 and the PA-150, and I must say it is actually pretty sweet. Does everything I really need it to do when I'm on campus and access to a drum set is sorta difficult. However I hate the kick pads. Since I don't know the first thing about electronic drums, I have a question for you guys.

Could I buy something like this http://drums-percussion.musiciansfriend.com/product/Roland-KD8-Kick-Trigger-Pad?sku=449921 and hook it up to the pedal 1 or pedal 2 ports in the back then just use my twin Iron Cobras? If anyone can answer this I'll love them forever (no promises).